Playstation 5

If it's a video game it goes here.

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, Arcanis, $iljanus

Hrothgar

Playstation 5

Post by Hrothgar »

I didn't see a topic for this. Of course, Sony hasn't released much information until today (no, I'm not counting the name or logo).

Playstation Blog posted a video deep dive.

The Verge and Eurogamer/Digital Foundry had reactions.

Here's a hardware summary if you don't feel like clicking:

Rumpy

Re: Playstation 5

Post by Rumpy »

825GB seems like an odd number for a drive, doesn't it? I'd have expected 1TB to be a default by now for a next-gen console, especially now that downloading is encouraged. It seems like between the PS3, PS4 and PS5, we haven't seen much of a jump in storage capacity.
PC:
Ryzen 5 3600
32GB RAM
2x1TB NVMe Drives
GTX 1660 Ti
Scraper

Post by Scraper »

Rumpy wrote: Wed Mar 18, 2020 4:31 pm 825GB seems like an odd number for a drive, doesn't it? I'd have expected 1TB to be a default by now for a next-gen console, especially now that downloading is encouraged. It seems like between the PS3, PS4 and PS5, we haven't seen much of a jump in storage capacity.
I think they went smaller size due to the fact that they spent their money on the bandwidth speed. They also added an empty internal memory slot which should operate at the same bandwidth, so expanding the memory without speed loss is an option on the PS5.

I watched a bit of the press conference yesterday and for the most part it was extreme tech talk which I did not understand. However, the speaker did say you can't put a bunch of weight on Cuda cores, chip speed specs and TFLOPS. He had some other thing he was talking about that he said would have a bigger impact on this generation but I didn't understand it.
FTE
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

This may be the first generation where I don't get anything day 1. Of course it is easy to say that now... It really depends what the day one releases are. Something like Bloodborne 2 or Horizon Zero Dawn 2 would have me in line at the stores at midnight (no, not really, but they would motivate me to purchase ASAP).
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
Scraper

Post by Scraper »

coopasonic wrote: Thu Mar 19, 2020 11:34 am This may be the first generation where I don't get anything day 1. Of course it is easy to say that now... It really depends what the day one releases are. Something like Bloodborne 2 or Horizon Zero Dawn 2 would have me in line at the stores at midnight (no, not really, but they would motivate me to purchase ASAP).
This may be the first generation where I get both machines at launch. The PS5 is a no brainer for me. I've never been an xbox guy, but if they can put together a decent launch lineup combined with backwards compatibility and a reasonable launch price then I might bite on that too just to see a next gen Forza.
FTE
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

Scraper wrote: Thu Mar 19, 2020 11:43 am I might bite on that too just to see a next gen Forza.
Forza games are all available on PC (even better, they are on GamePass).
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
Octavious

Post by Octavious »

The only reason I'm beholden to the PS is for MLB The Show. They will start developing it for other platforms soon so that may not be a driving force anymore. I would love to see The Show on the PC, but I have no idea if that's one that they are considering.

As for the HD I wonder if that number is odd because they are counting all the space already taken by whatever they need to install by default? Every other console they have done recently has been easy to replace the HD so that wouldn't be a big concern for me. Also with download speeds being much better now it's not a problem for me to uninstall a game and download it again when I want to play it.
Capitalism tries for a delicate balance: It attempts to work things out so that everyone gets just enough stuff to keep them from getting violent and trying to take other people’s stuff.

Shameless plug for my website: www.nettphoto.com
Scraper

Post by Scraper »

Octavious wrote: Thu Mar 19, 2020 1:01 pm The only reason I'm beholden to the PS is for MLB The Show. They will start developing it for other platforms soon so that may not be a driving force anymore. I would love to see The Show on the PC, but I have no idea if that's one that they are considering.

As for the HD I wonder if that number is odd because they are counting all the space already taken by whatever they need to install by default? Every other console they have done recently has been easy to replace the HD so that wouldn't be a big concern for me. Also with download speeds being much better now it's not a problem for me to uninstall a game and download it again when I want to play it.
With the PS5 you won't have to replace the SSD to add one, there is actually an open slot for a second SSD.
FTE
Scraper

Post by Scraper »

coopasonic wrote: Thu Mar 19, 2020 11:53 am
Scraper wrote: Thu Mar 19, 2020 11:43 am I might bite on that too just to see a next gen Forza.
Forza games are all available on PC (even better, they are on GamePass).
This is the reason I never got an XBOX 1. But at this point my computer hardware is aging. My graphics card is a GeForce 760 and that's my newest part. In order to run the newest games at reasonable frame rates I would need to upgrade the entire computer.
FTE
Rumpy

Post by Rumpy »

Scraper wrote: Thu Mar 19, 2020 8:28 am
Rumpy wrote: Wed Mar 18, 2020 4:31 pm 825GB seems like an odd number for a drive, doesn't it? I'd have expected 1TB to be a default by now for a next-gen console, especially now that downloading is encouraged. It seems like between the PS3, PS4 and PS5, we haven't seen much of a jump in storage capacity.
I think they went smaller size due to the fact that they spent their money on the bandwidth speed. They also added an empty internal memory slot which should operate at the same bandwidth, so expanding the memory without speed loss is an option on the PS5.
That makes sense, I guess, and I like hearing about the memory slot. That's nice. Although one thing I'd like to see that I haven't seen either console acknowledge is more usb ports. Two isn't nearly enough these days. I use a wireless headset which means one slot is almost permanently used by the dongle, and if I were to use an external drive, that'd be two ports. And there should be one or two free ports for charging a gamepad or headset. Four ports would be the ideal number for convenience.
PC:
Ryzen 5 3600
32GB RAM
2x1TB NVMe Drives
GTX 1660 Ti
Scraper

Post by Scraper »

Rumpy wrote: Thu Mar 19, 2020 1:41 pm
That makes sense, I guess, and I like hearing about the memory slot. That's nice. Although one thing I'd like to see that I haven't seen either console acknowledge is more usb ports. Two isn't nearly enough these days. I use a wireless headset which means one slot is almost permanently used by the dongle, and if I were to use an external drive, that'd be two ports. And there should be one or two free ports for charging a gamepad or headset. Four ports would be the ideal number for convenience.
All the pictures online show the Xbox Sex with 2 USB ports in the back and none in the front. I would imagine that is subject to change with the actual production units.
FTE
Octavious

Post by Octavious »

Scraper wrote:
Octavious wrote: Thu Mar 19, 2020 1:01 pm The only reason I'm beholden to the PS is for MLB The Show. They will start developing it for other platforms soon so that may not be a driving force anymore. I would love to see The Show on the PC, but I have no idea if that's one that they are considering.

With the PS5 you won't have to replace the SSD to add one, there is actually an open slot for a second SSD.
Oh nice even better. I'm sure I'll end up getting one if society still exists by then.
Capitalism tries for a delicate balance: It attempts to work things out so that everyone gets just enough stuff to keep them from getting violent and trying to take other people’s stuff.

Shameless plug for my website: www.nettphoto.com
stessier

Post by stessier »

Scraper wrote: Thu Mar 19, 2020 2:01 pm
All the pictures online show the Xbox Sex with 2 USB ports in the back and none in the front. I would imagine that is subject to change with the actual production units.
Never saw this thread going NSFW.
I require a reminder as to why raining arcane destruction is not an appropriate response to all of life's indignities. - Vaarsuvius
Global Steam Wishmaslist Tracking
Running____2014: 1300.55 miles____2015: 2036.13 miles____2016: 1012.75 miles____2017: 1105.82 miles____2018: 1318.91 miles__2019: 2000.00 miles
Rumpy

Post by Rumpy »

Ports in the back kind of sound inconvenient. Would be rather annoying if you have to plug it in to recharge and you still want to play.
PC:
Ryzen 5 3600
32GB RAM
2x1TB NVMe Drives
GTX 1660 Ti
Scraper

Post by Scraper »

Rumpy wrote: Fri Mar 20, 2020 1:14 am
Ports in the back kind of sound inconvenient. Would be rather annoying if you have to plug it in to recharge and you still want to play.
Yeah that's why I think the actual consumer version will have at least one port in the front.
FTE
pr0ner

Post by pr0ner »

Glad to see Sony finally embracing a 4K BluRay player in their machine (the PS4 Pro really should have had one).

It does mean the games for the PS5 and the XBox Series X are going to be massive, though - 100GB capability on one platter! Though that hasn't stopped some current gen games from being massive - I think modern Warfare takes up 150GB on my XBox One.
Hodor.
$iljanus
Forum Moderator

Post by $iljanus »

With the size of new games, the hard drives are pretty small. I replaced my PS4 drive with a 2 TB drive which seems to be an optimal size. At least the upcoming PS5 will have an open internal bay so I can plop one in vs having to do a physical transplant.

Hopefully, compatible NVMe drives will have dropped in price by the time the PS5 is released. (or drop sometime after release)
Black lives matter!

Wise words of warning from Smoove B: Oh, how you all laughed when I warned you about the semen. Well, who's laughing now?
Rumpy

Post by Rumpy »

Yeah, that's what I mean. The drive seems kind of small given how much larger games are now and that there's more downloading. Towards the end of the PS3's life they started offering PS3s with 1TB drives, and I think there are some PS4s with 1TB drives, so this seems like it's gone a little backwards. Have we hit a plateau? I thought for sure we'd been seeing a base PS5 with at least 1TB.
PC:
Ryzen 5 3600
32GB RAM
2x1TB NVMe Drives
GTX 1660 Ti
$iljanus
Forum Moderator

Post by $iljanus »

SSD cards are pretty pricey so I guess Sony figured it can get the console into peoples hands at a reasonable price with just a 1 TB SSD.
Black lives matter!

Wise words of warning from Smoove B: Oh, how you all laughed when I warned you about the semen. Well, who's laughing now?
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

Yeah SSDs are more expensive. Making it a little smaller to keep the base cost and allowing for easy expand-ability lets the consumer have the option. I put an SSD in my PS4 Pro and it nearly doubled the cost (that was when SSDs cost more).
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
$iljanus
Forum Moderator

Post by $iljanus »

I think the 800 plus GB drive and the ability to play older PS4 games from an external HD can put off the purchase of an additional hard drive for a little while.
Black lives matter!

pr0ner

Post by pr0ner »

So what are we expecting the price of these new consoles to come in at? I'd be surprised if either is under $599.
Hodor.
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

pr0ner wrote: Fri Mar 20, 2020 3:50 pm So what are we expecting the price of these new consoles to come in at? I'd be surprised if either is under $599.
I was about to say that sounds pretty steep, but I guess now that most of us carry phones that cost more than that and change them out more frequently...
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
ChuckB

Post by ChuckB »

Regarding HD space: I put a 2TB internal HD into my Playstation Pro AND use an external 2TB HD connected via USB. I ran many tests and cannot see any difference in speed between the two. So, with respect to the backward compatibility, you can probably attach a (cheap) external HD for the PS4 games and get the same speed you are currently getting with your internal PD4 drive.

I actually don't care much about the specs (and especially not in comparison to other consoles) - I'm actually very happy with the current generation PS4 games and the PS5 will certainly be faster and the games will be better looking. I have become mainly a console gamer (weird), especially after my Razer gaming laptop died on my half a year ago and I bought my first PS3 back in 2008 because of MLB The Show and that series will continue to be important for me and I don't see anything on the Xbox side (not that I'm really looking) that would lead me to consider a platform switch.
The backward compatibility is huge for me as I have WAY too many PS4 games (see above ...), most of them heavily underplayed.

The PS5 will likely be a launch day minus pre-order time purchase for me.
MonkeyFinger

Post by MonkeyFinger »

I'm in much the same boat with my Pro - upgraded internal to 2TB and have a 3TB external hung off the side. Now I'm wondering if getting all those external storage games over to the PS5 could be as simple as moving the USB connection over? :think:
-mf
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Wow it looks really cool. I like the look of it this time. I like the digital version without the disc player. All the games were filled with ray tracing.

--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"
Hrothgar

Post by Hrothgar »

Two of the games announced are practically automatic buys for me. The sequels to Spiderman and Horizon look great. Overall, it was a pretty good showcase. Some were years away though.

All the trailers are on the Playstation YouTube channel.
Alefroth

Post by Alefroth »

Horizon Forbidden West was announced-

Also a Demon's Souls remake-

Last edited by Alefroth on Thu Jun 11, 2020 7:29 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

I guess I should work on Zero Dawn and the Spider-Man DLC.
It's almost as if people are the problem.
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

Hrothgar wrote: Thu Jun 11, 2020 6:30 pm Two of the games announced are practically automatic buys for me. The sequels to Spiderman and Horizon look great. Overall, it was a pretty good showcase. Some were years away though.

All the trailers are on the Playstation YouTube channel.
I didn't watch but HZD was the reason I bought a PS4 and the sequel will be the reason I buy the PS5.

Totally in on another spiderman game as well.
Isgrimnur wrote: Thu Jun 11, 2020 6:34 pm I guess I should work on Zero Dawn and the Spider-Man DLC.
One day I will finish the HZD DLC... that I bought like two years ago.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
Alefroth

Post by Alefroth »

Isgrimnur wrote: Thu Jun 11, 2020 6:34 pm I guess I should work on Zero Dawn and the Spider-Man DLC.
I bet those will both be backwards compatible at launch.
Alefroth

Post by Alefroth »

coopasonic wrote: Thu Jun 11, 2020 7:22 pm
I didn't watch but HZD was the reason I bought a PS4 and the sequel will be the reason I buy the PS5.
It didn't look quite as compelling as I'd hoped. It'll be a tall order to improve on the first.

I thought we might see an announcement for the next God of War.
Rumpy

Post by Rumpy »

I loved Horizon Zero Dawn's concept and story. I didn't like the combat nearly as much. It feels like a game that wants you to take stealthy approaches but then puts you into situations where you need to brute force your way through. It was constantly at odds with itself.

I hope the sequel has more than just one type of mount. Sure, there were up to 4 that looked different but they all were based on the same animal type. Different mounts with different statistics such as speed and attacks would be nice.
PC:
Ryzen 5 3600
32GB RAM
2x1TB NVMe Drives
GTX 1660 Ti
Ralph-Wiggum

Post by Ralph-Wiggum »

I wasn’t super impressed by most of the showcase that I saw. Most of the games looked like they could’ve been on a PS4 and they didn’t announce a release date or a price (the latter wasn’t too surprising). And except for HZD, there wasn’t one game I’m really interested in. I’m sure there will be more, but this showcase left me pretty unexcited.
Black Lives Matter
Baroquen

Post by Baroquen »

I bounced off HZD pretty hard, and Demon's Souls and God of War don't intrigue me either. The Spiderman sequel would be cool, but not to drop launch date money. I should be able to hold out for awhile.
AWS260

Post by AWS260 »

I really do not like the form factor of the PS5. It would work well as a futuristic skyscraper in a mid-budget scifi movie starring Mila Jovovich, but will stand out like a sore thumb in my living room.

Looking back, I realize that I only like the look of even-numbered Playstations. I'm not sure what that says about Sony or me.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

They're kind of screwed on that front. When they make something futuristic looking, those who want something to fit into their more reserved living room entertainment center complain. When they make something more reserved, those who want 'cool' complain that it's boring.
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)
Kurth

Post by Kurth »

Ralph-Wiggum wrote: Thu Jun 11, 2020 9:31 pm I wasn’t super impressed by most of the showcase that I saw. Most of the games looked like they could’ve been on a PS4 and they didn’t announce a release date or a price (the latter wasn’t too surprising). And except for HZD, there wasn’t one game I’m really interested in. I’m sure there will be more, but this showcase left me pretty unexcited.
This was my impression, too. I'm not a super picky player when it comes to graphics to begin with (still love playing the old Baldur's Gate games on my Switch), but I didn't see anything in those trailers that I thought would have been out of place running on this generation of consoles. I'm sure the frame rate is better and there are additional lighting details and what not, but that's not really what makes a game a winner to me to begin with.
Just 'cause you feel it, doesn't mean it's there -- Radiohead
Do you believe me? Do you trust me? Do you like me? 😳
pr0ner

Post by pr0ner »

Hey, look, another version of GTAV!

Just announce GTAVI already.
Hodor.
Rumpy

Post by Rumpy »

AWS260 wrote: Fri Jun 12, 2020 9:52 am I really do not like the form factor of the PS5.

Yeah, same here. Not a big fan of the form factor. Sure, it looks cool vertically, but what about those of us who like having it Horizontally? In terms of being practical, the design seems flawed.
PC:
Ryzen 5 3600
32GB RAM
2x1TB NVMe Drives
GTX 1660 Ti