Moderators: LawBeefaroni, Arcanis, $iljanus

Alefroth

Re: Playstation 5

Post by Alefroth »

I'm Alefroth if anyone wants to add me.
naednek

Post by naednek »

Alefroth wrote:I'm Alefroth if anyone wants to add me.
Naednek here.

Smooth launch for me. I didn't buy any ps5 games as I still trying to beat horizons and spiderman.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

hepcat - "I agree with Naednek"
Ralph-Wiggum

Post by Ralph-Wiggum »

I caved and got Demon Souls. It is a very pretty game.
Black Lives Matter
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

Ralph-Wiggum wrote: Sat Nov 14, 2020 7:30 pm I caved and got Demon Souls. It is a very pretty game.
The original had a mechanic where dying made the game HARDER and doing well makes it easier. I'm a Souls fan, but that's not going to fly.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
Ralph-Wiggum

Post by Ralph-Wiggum »

Do you mean the dead vs alive thing? That’s still in the game, though when you’re alive I think other people can invade your realm for PvP. But I haven’t gotten to that point.
Black Lives Matter
Anarer

Post by Anarer »

Spamalicious.
Last edited by Anarer on Mon Nov 30, 2020 4:33 am, edited 1 time in total.
Scraper

Post by Scraper »

I have a theory about my 4K and HDR issues on my setup. Apparently my stereo receiver has two different HDR settings "standard" and "Advanced"

Per Sony's website for my receiver "Enhanced format: Select this when you use high bandwidth video formats such as 4K/60p 4:4:4, 4:2:2 and 4K/60p 4:2:0 10 bit."

I just discovered this while at work, so when I get home I'm going to see if that's what the issue is. Apparently the PS5 uses the higher bandwidth form and the PS4 Pro used the "standard" form. I'll post an update once I get home and verify if this was the problem or not.
FTE
wonderpug

Post by wonderpug »

Are you using the HDMI cable that came with the PS5 or the ones you already had plugged in for your PS4? I've heard reports on other forums that people have issues with even slightly older HDMI cables. You want to be sure you're using all HDMI 2.1
Scraper

Post by Scraper »

wonderpug wrote: Mon Nov 16, 2020 10:36 am Are you using the HDMI cable that came with the PS5 or the ones you already had plugged in for your PS4? I've heard reports on other forums that people have issues with even slightly older HDMI cables. You want to be sure you're using all HDMI 2.1
I'm using the one that came with the PS5 and a HDMI 2.1 from the stereo to the TV
FTE
Scraper

Post by Scraper »

Well unfortunately it wasn't the "enhanced" setting. I switched it to that from standard and still no 4k with HDR. I also updated the firmware on my projector to the newest one and installed the PS5 system patch this morning and it still won't work. I also tried plugging the PS5 directly into the projector with the cable that came with the PS5 and it didn't work either. So at this point I think the PS5 is limited in what it will allow you to output 4K and HDR in and until Sony patches it I think I'm stuck with either 1080P and HDR or 4K and no HDR.

Honestly I can't tell that much of a difference between 4K and 1080P so for now I'll go with the 1080P and HDR option.
FTE
Scraper

Post by Scraper »

Also, If you happened to install the PS4 version of a game prior to updating it to the PS5 version (for me it was Borderlands 3 and AC Valhalla) you have to go into the system storage settings and actually delete the PS4 version of the game. If you don't there is a chance you will accidentally start the PS4 version of the game and both versions use space. So once I uninstalled the PS4 versions of the game I freed up about 100gigs.
FTE
naednek

Post by naednek »

Scraper wrote:Well unfortunately it wasn't the "enhanced" setting. I switched it to that from standard and still no 4k with HDR. I also updated the firmware on my projector to the newest one and installed the PS5 system patch this morning and it still won't work. I also tried plugging the PS5 directly into the projector with the cable that came with the PS5 and it didn't work either. So at this point I think the PS5 is limited in what it will allow you to output 4K and HDR in and until Sony patches it I think I'm stuck with either 1080P and HDR or 4K and no HDR.

Honestly I can't tell that much of a difference between 4K and 1080P so for now I'll go with the 1080P and HDR option.
Funny I don't see a difference with hdr on and off

Last edited by naednek on Tue Nov 17, 2020 10:44 am, edited 1 time in total.
hepcat - "I agree with Naednek"
gbasden

Post by gbasden »

Captain Caveman wrote: Sat Nov 14, 2020 1:38 pm I’m still alive and got a PS5!

My PSN tag is CaptCaveOO. Please add me because right now my only friends are Ralph Wiggum (ugh) and my 10 year old nephew.

Hope all of you are doing well
Good to see you around! Come back and say hi occasionally! :)
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

coopasonic wrote: Thu Mar 19, 2020 11:34 am This may be the first generation where I don't get anything day 1. Of course it is easy to say that now... It really depends what the day one releases are. Something like Bloodborne 2 or Horizon Zero Dawn 2 would have me in line at the stores at midnight (no, not really, but they would motivate me to purchase ASAP).
It's well past day one and still no PS5 in sight for me. It helps that there aren't any games I'm super excited about right now. Demons Souls and Miles Morales are on the list and ebay prices are getting down to the low 800s but I think I can keep waiting. I've had one in cart a few times but no success. I am not trying very hard, but when I see it I'll try.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
Octavious

Post by Octavious »

I'm not even sure if I would buy one if i could find one right now. There's just not that much out yet and I have other things I want to get. And the idea of having to chase after it like an idiot is just annoying to me. It would be nice to have something that plays 4k disks for my tv, but honestly I don't really buy movies much anymore anyway.
Capitalism tries for a delicate balance: It attempts to work things out so that everyone gets just enough stuff to keep them from getting violent and trying to take other people’s stuff.

Shameless plug for my website: www.nettphoto.com
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

I've been trying to find one, but not really giving it a ton of effort and certainly won't pay inflated E-bay prices. There's not really a must-have game right now.

I would like to get one before the Mass Effect remaster comes out in March, but playing that on PS4 is probably fine if I need to. I can't imagine a more powerful console is going to make a ton of graphical difference for a remaster. I'm also holding out for PS5 to try AC Valhalla, but I'm not in any hurry on that one.
When darkness veils the world, four Warriors of Light shall come.
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

Skinypupy wrote: Mon Jan 25, 2021 12:49 pm I can't imagine a more powerful console is going to make a ton of graphical difference for a remaster.
SSD load times! I put an SSD in my PS4 Pro so it's not a big difference to me. Hell that makes me wonder why I care to even try at this point, then I remember I want to send my PS4 to a friend and I can't do that until the PS4 shows up. THAT makes me wonder why I have to wait... the main thing is that I use the PS4 for Netflix/Hulu/Disney+/HBOMax in my media room... I suppose the XBOne should be able to handle those duties. Maybe I'll check that out.

OK done talking to myself for a bit.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
Ralph-Wiggum

Post by Ralph-Wiggum »

I assume this is the same on the new XBox as well, but the best part of the PS5 for me so far is not the games (although Demon Souls is great), it's the load times. Games like DS or Fenyx Rising load in seconds and games that I had previously avoided on the PS4 due to supposed long load times (like Wasteland 3) were actually playable/not-annoying on the PS5.
Black Lives Matter
Alefroth

Post by Alefroth »

I try to get one every time there's an alert on the Twitter in stock alert but so far no luck. I have a big enough backlog that I'll have plenty to play on it, and I've taken to playing the oldest ones in my backlog that should have the least improvement on the 5.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

I'm still playing a release-day PS4, and have never tried actually gaming in 4k, so I'm looking forward to one eventually.
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

I *think* I finally got one. GameStop bundle, still waiting for a confirmation email but it shows on my account. 3 damn months.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
rittchard

Post by rittchard »

coopasonic wrote: Tue Feb 09, 2021 1:32 pm I *think* I finally got one. GameStop bundle, still waiting for a confirmation email but it shows on my account. 3 damn months.
Woohoo! Me too! Just got the confirmation email, still don't believe it will really happen lol.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Blackhawk wrote: Mon Jan 25, 2021 2:25 pm I'm still playing a release-day PS4, and have never tried actually gaming in 4k, so I'm looking forward to one eventually.
AFAIK my PS4 was the last console Ill ever own.
--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"
Alefroth

Post by Alefroth »

Grats! I thought about it but decided I didn't want to buy a game I didn't want just to get a PS5.
Octavious

Post by Octavious »

I blew my PS5 money on a steering wheel instead. I figured there isn't that much out yet and I'm so lazy to try and hunt one down. It would be nice to have a 4k drive for the tv. I'm sure I'll crack later in the year when GT Sport comes out. :lol:
Capitalism tries for a delicate balance: It attempts to work things out so that everyone gets just enough stuff to keep them from getting violent and trying to take other people’s stuff.

coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

Alefroth wrote: Tue Feb 09, 2021 1:48 pm Grats! I thought about it but decided I didn't want to buy a game I didn't want just to get a PS5.
I wanted Miles, but no use for NBA2k21. Of course I already have a copy of Miles from a christmas gift, so I'll end up giving both away.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
Ralph-Wiggum

Post by Ralph-Wiggum »

coopasonic wrote: Tue Feb 09, 2021 3:21 pm
Alefroth wrote: Tue Feb 09, 2021 1:48 pm Grats! I thought about it but decided I didn't want to buy a game I didn't want just to get a PS5.
I wanted Miles, but no use for NBA2k21. Of course I already have a copy of Miles from a christmas gift, so I'll end up giving both away.
:ninja:
Black Lives Matter
Rumpy

Post by Rumpy »

I wish I had a steering wheel. I had a G25, but I didn't have any room for it when storing it, and ended up giving it to my brother. Wish I could find a more compact solution.
PC:
Ryzen 5 3600
32GB RAM
2x1TB NVMe Drives
GTX 1660 Ti
Octavious

Post by Octavious »

Well my t150 will be up for sale. Otherwise it will sit in my attic for the rest of my life.

Baroquen

Post by Baroquen »

Also got a PS5 in the Gamestop drop today. I'm sure I'll enjoy it, but not a ton of games I'm looking forward to yet. I'll play the next-gen versions of the sports games and such. And Miles should be fun.
Alefroth

Post by Alefroth »

I got through the line to get into the queue to buy one from the Playstation store.
Alefroth

Post by Alefroth »

Five seconds after getting in, out of stock.
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

Alefroth wrote: Wed Feb 10, 2021 4:30 pm I got through the line to get into the queue to buy one from the Playstation store.
Guy at work gave us a spoiler on how to get a better spot in line. Open up as many incognito browser windows as you can manage to increase your odds for a good place in line. I meant to try it today but got busy and missed the window.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
Alefroth

Post by Alefroth »

I'll give that a shot.
Hrothgar

Post by Hrothgar »

I tried this. I happened to check PS Direct about 10 minutes before the queue opened. I had tried a couple of times before and had always gotten 'over an hour wait.' Then the PS5's would sell out and I'd finally get in. This time I left my main browser open to PS Direct page. Then I opened two incognito tabs to the page. Interestingly only on the first incognito tab did I get a Capcha. Then I waited the remaining time for the queue to open. Strangely, it takes about a minute after the queue opens for it to update with your estimated time. Here were my results:

Normal tab (opened first): Over an hour.
Incognito tab 1 (second): 6 minutes
Incognito tab 2 (third): 10 minutes

Actual wait for tab 1 was about 4 minutes. I got in, logged in quickly and placed an order for a PS5. By the time I got to the order complete page, tab 2 was ready. I closed it to hopefully shorten someone else's wait. While not scientific, it does seem the queue software does not like one or more of my browser extensions. I heartily recommend going the incognito route.

Another weird thing. I never got a confirmation or shipping email from PS Direct. I was able to track the order in 'my orders.' It went from accepted to preparing for shipment to shipped. I have the tracking number, and it's on the way. I did check in with customer service. They said the order was fine. I double checked my email address on the order. It was fine. I checked my spam folder. Nothing. After my chat with customer service, I immediately got a survey email asking how they did. So they can communicate with my email. Maybe they'll send out a batch of emails later.

I'll report back once the PS5 arrives.
Alefroth

Post by Alefroth »

:clap:
rittchard

Post by rittchard »

Mine actually arrived a little early (on the 15th), I was really excited for a minute. I haven't even opened the box yet but I will report it (the box) is very beautiful.
wonderpug

Post by wonderpug »

rittchard wrote: Wed Feb 17, 2021 1:06 pm Mine actually arrived a little early (on the 15th), I was really excited for a minute. I haven't even opened the box yet but I will report it (the box) is very beautiful.
I don't want to tell you how to do your job, but it's even more fun if you take it out of the box.
Ralph-Wiggum

Post by Ralph-Wiggum »

I'm having an unexpected problem with my PS5. It generates so much heat that my cats like to lay behind it when it's on. In and of itself this isn't a big issue, but since he's lying there anyways I guess he figures he might as well chew on the PS5 cords. I've repeatedly had to chase him out from there when he starts gnawing on them. I need to figure out a way to either make the cords inaccessible or unpalatable before my cat borks my PS5.
Black Lives Matter
Octavious

Post by Octavious »

I practically tackled the fed ex driver when he dropped off my wheel on Monday. There's no way it would sit for minutes let alone days. :)