Playstation 5

If it's a video game it goes here.

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, Arcanis, $iljanus

disarm

Re: Playstation 5

Post by disarm »

Same...my PS5 has been horizontal on the provided stand since the day I brought it home without any issues. The stand is a little sketchy in that it doesn't attach tightly to the console, but it works well enough for something you're never really intended to move once it's set up.
msteelers

Post by msteelers »

I’m too afraid of my cats and/or daughter knocking the console over to even consider a vertical setup.
Rumpy

Post by Rumpy »

Scraper wrote: Sun Dec 17, 2023 8:33 am
Fyi the launch version of the ps5 was exactly the same and I've always had mine sit horizontal.
Hmm, really? Could have sworn the recommendation was for it sitting Vertically while they saying people could have it horizontal if they could. All the promotional material show it vertically. And all my friends have it sitting vertically with a stand they claim came with the console. Regardless, I'm glad I waited for the Slim, as I don't know if the original size would have fit horizontally in this space. The Slim still looks massive.
PC:
Ryzen 5 3600
32GB RAM
2x1TB NVMe Drives
GTX 1660 Ti
Scraper

Post by Scraper »

Rumpy wrote: Sun Dec 17, 2023 2:33 pm
Scraper wrote: Sun Dec 17, 2023 8:33 am
Fyi the launch version of the ps5 was exactly the same and I've always had mine sit horizontal.
Hmm, really? Could have sworn the recommendation was for it sitting Vertically while they saying people could have it horizontal if they could. All the promotional material show it vertically. And all my friends have it sitting vertically with a stand they claim came with the console. Regardless, I'm glad I waited for the Slim, as I don't know if the original size would have fit horizontally in this space. The Slim still looks massive.
Yep, they're the same shape, just different sizes. The included stand is there to be used both horizontal and vertical.
FTE
Rumpy

Post by Rumpy »

Interesting. You just don't get the option here.

And btw, about the removable drive, I know there was a discussion about DRM, but I don't think it's that at all. You register it once as part of the install process to pair it with the console, the same way you'd pair a controller to the console. Don't think it means there's any online requirement.
PC:
Ryzen 5 3600
32GB RAM
2x1TB NVMe Drives
GTX 1660 Ti
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

Rumpy wrote: Mon Dec 18, 2023 2:26 pm Interesting. You just don't get the option here.
Hmm? My PS5 was configurable horizontally or vertically. Was part of the documentation and I don't recall any parts missing. I have it vertical but that's due to space requirements rather than anything else.
Rumpy

Post by Rumpy »

I mean with the PS5 Slim. The only way it sits is horizontally. I have a friend who I was setting it up with and he was perplexed with the instructions telling us the feet were for it to sit horizontally. There are less options to start with.
PC:
Ryzen 5 3600
32GB RAM
2x1TB NVMe Drives
GTX 1660 Ti
disarm

Post by disarm »

Interesting...apparently they don't include a vertical stand with the Slim, but they're more than happy to sell you one for $30.

PS5 Slim Announcement on PS blog

They discuss it near the end, and it's also in fine print in the lower right corner of the image at the top of the article. Crazy that they actually took something away that used to be included, then charge such a high price to buy it.
Rumpy

Post by Rumpy »

Yeah, see, I don't think they ever made any reference to that in the manual. I'd actually wondered before getting it all set up if they would have a stand for it, or have it for sale. It is pictured vertically with a stand in the promotional material. It also made me wonder about the availability of the correct stands being available in stores, since stores don't always clear out old merchandise or don't always stock the newest accessories for the latest models, given that shelf space is usually at a premium. Heck, the Best Buy where I got my PS5 still was showing the original PS5 boxes on the shelves, and if I hadn't asked for the PS5 Slim specifically, I wouldn't have known it was available.
PC:
Ryzen 5 3600
32GB RAM
2x1TB NVMe Drives
GTX 1660 Ti
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

Rumpy wrote: Mon Dec 18, 2023 3:18 pm I mean with the PS5 Slim. The only way it sits is horizontally. I have a friend who I was setting it up with and he was perplexed with the instructions telling us the feet were for it to sit horizontally. There are less options to start with.
Fair enough, I missed the slim part. My bad.
Scraper

Post by Scraper »

Is anyone else amazed that we have almost an entire page in this thread devoted to how the PS5 OG and Slim sit? I did not have this issue on my bingo card of silly OO discussions for 2023.
FTE
disarm

Post by disarm »

What's silly is that Sony wants people to spend $30 for this stand just so they can orient their console vertically...a new version of an accessory that has been included with the original PS5 for three years and probably costs them almost nothing to produce.
Scraper

Post by Scraper »

I can stand my OG up vertically without the included stand. Why can't the slim?
FTE
Octavious

Post by Octavious »

The OG came with a stand, but now I'm wondering if I use it either. :lol:
Capitalism tries for a delicate balance: It attempts to work things out so that everyone gets just enough stuff to keep them from getting violent and trying to take other people’s stuff.

Shameless plug for my website: www.nettphoto.com
Rumpy

Post by Rumpy »

Scraper wrote: Tue Dec 19, 2023 10:54 am I did not have this issue on my bingo card of silly OO discussions for 2023.
Might seem silly to you, but it was a legitimate concern of mine. When you pay big money for something, you generally want it looking best where you plan on putting it. And from someone who's bought a PS5-Slim, I thought I would offer up some insight into the particular model, to avoid others being surprised. This is the PS5 thread afterall, and if we can't discuss changes in design, then where?

As Disarm points out, the stand is now available separately. I had been hoping it would be included when I bought the Slim, noticed on the box that it included a 'stand' in the list of included items, but was disappointed it wasn't what I thought it was, but rather two little plastic feet.
PC:
Ryzen 5 3600
32GB RAM
2x1TB NVMe Drives
GTX 1660 Ti
Octavious

Post by Octavious »

I don't think it's silly. I'd be annoyed too. Buy this at a discounted price, but if you want to use it that will be another 50 bucks. ;) Seems like a very Apple thing to do.
Capitalism tries for a delicate balance: It attempts to work things out so that everyone gets just enough stuff to keep them from getting violent and trying to take other people’s stuff.

Alefroth

Post by Alefroth »

disarm wrote: Tue Dec 19, 2023 12:15 pm What's silly is that Sony wants people to spend $30 for this stand just so they can orient their console vertically...a new version of an accessory that has been included with the original PS5 for three years and probably costs them almost nothing to produce.
Or, they are saving people who don't want it vertical $30.
Scraper

Post by Scraper »

Rumpy wrote: Tue Dec 19, 2023 3:05 pm
Scraper wrote: Tue Dec 19, 2023 10:54 am I did not have this issue on my bingo card of silly OO discussions for 2023.
Might seem silly to you, but it was a legitimate concern of mine. When you pay big money for something, you generally want it looking best where you plan on putting it. And from someone who's bought a PS5-Slim, I thought I would offer up some insight into the particular model, to avoid others being surprised. This is the PS5 thread afterall, and if we can't discuss changes in design, then where?

As Disarm points out, the stand is now available separately. I had been hoping it would be included when I bought the Slim, noticed on the box that it included a 'stand' in the list of included items, but was disappointed it wasn't what I thought it was, but rather two little plastic feet.
I should clarify. I dont think the issue and question is silly. I was just amused that we could stretch it so far. And kind of impressed. It was a good "silly", not a ridiculous silly.
FTE
Rumpy

Post by Rumpy »

Ahh ok, thank you for clarifying. It's obvious to me that these design choices are causing a lot of confusion, hence so much talk on the PS5 orientation.
PC:
Ryzen 5 3600
32GB RAM
2x1TB NVMe Drives
GTX 1660 Ti
wonderpug

Post by wonderpug »

Sometimes you have to make a stand.
Scraper

Post by Scraper »

Especially if you go slim.
FTE
Alefroth

Post by Alefroth »

wonderpug wrote: Thu Dec 21, 2023 9:20 am Sometimes you have to make a stand.
Now it's a proper OO thread.
Kurth

Post by Kurth »

Sony's PlayStation group (SIE) has a new interim CEO, and he's making a big push for multi-platform (so far, it seems like this is limited to PC) game publishing rather than keeping first party titles exclusive to PlayStation.

Is this a good idea? As Microsoft leans into cloud gaming and confronts the lackluster sales of the latest XBOX consoles, does this move by Sony signal a retreat from consoles generally? Thoughts?

Very interested to know if people think this is a good thing for Sony Playstation itself.
Just 'cause you feel it, doesn't mean it's there -- Radiohead
Do you believe me? Do you trust me? Do you like me? 😳
Rumpy

Post by Rumpy »

A few years ago, they made that push into releasing PC ports of previous exclusives, and from what I understand, this is just them doubling down on this, as from what I understand it's been very successful for them. It's them saying they'll continue with those efforts to port titles to PC. I don't see it as a bad thing, as they usually release them several years after they've released on the Playstation.

The only difference is with MLB The Show, where they have it on XBox, it's due to the MLB demanding they publish it to other platforms. If they would have refused, they would have lost the license.
PC:
Ryzen 5 3600
32GB RAM
2x1TB NVMe Drives
GTX 1660 Ti
Octavious

Post by Octavious »

Kurth wrote:Sony's PlayStation group (SIE) has a new interim CEO, and he's making a big push for multi-platform (so far, it seems like this is limited to PC) game publishing rather than keeping first party titles exclusive to PlayStation.

Is this a good idea? As Microsoft leans into cloud gaming and confronts the lackluster sales of the latest XBOX consoles, does this move by Sony signal a retreat from consoles generally? Thoughts?

Very interested to know if people think this is a good thing for Sony Playstation itself.
I think it's a good idea. The current gen of consoles has kind of been a flop imho. Partially due to the pandemic and also the push for 4k gaming when neither console was ready. 30 fps 4k isn't exactly setting the world on fire.

Anything being 30 fps shouldn't be a thing anymore. I would be sad to see a decline in the Sony 1st party game quality. I think nobody does it better, but it's also getting super rare when they come out.

Rumpy

Post by Rumpy »

I'd be genuinely curious about how many console gamers would be able to game in 4K. I'd bet it's a small percentage. Still only have a regular HDTV, for example. No fancy stuff.
PC:
Ryzen 5 3600
32GB RAM
2x1TB NVMe Drives
GTX 1660 Ti
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

wonderpug wrote: Thu Dec 21, 2023 9:20 am Sometimes you have to make a stand.
The place to take a stand is at the store.
Jaymann
]==(:::::::::::::>
Black Lives Matter
Scraper

Post by Scraper »

Octavious wrote: Mon Mar 11, 2024 6:40 pm
Kurth wrote:Sony's PlayStation group (SIE) has a new interim CEO, and he's making a big push for multi-platform (so far, it seems like this is limited to PC) game publishing rather than keeping first party titles exclusive to PlayStation.

I think it's a good idea. The current gen of consoles has kind of been a flop imho. Partially due to the pandemic and also the push for 4k gaming when neither console was ready. 30 fps 4k isn't exactly setting the world on fire.

Anything being 30 fps shouldn't be a thing anymore. I would be sad to see a decline in the Sony 1st party game quality. I think nobody does it better, but it's also getting super rare when they come out.
I don't think 60fps is really as big a deal as you make it. I honestly can't tell the difference between 30fps and 60fps in 90% of the games I play. Heck bump that to 45fps and 60fps and I can't tell a difference ever.
FTE
Rumpy

Post by Rumpy »

The only time I want more framerate is when a game performs badly in the first place. I was playing Sable on the PS5, and that game has some pretty bad stuttering and framerate drops that just feel perplexing, which made me wonder how it passed certification.
PC:
Ryzen 5 3600
32GB RAM
2x1TB NVMe Drives
GTX 1660 Ti
Alefroth

Post by Alefroth »

Rumpy wrote: Tue Mar 12, 2024 2:14 am I'd be genuinely curious about how many console gamers would be able to game in 4K. I'd bet it's a small percentage. Still only have a regular HDTV, for example. No fancy stuff.
44% of homes had 4K TVs in 2021

https://www.statista.com/statistics/124 ... %20devices.
Rumpy

Post by Rumpy »

That still seems like a fairly low number.
PC:
Ryzen 5 3600
32GB RAM
2x1TB NVMe Drives
GTX 1660 Ti
Alefroth

Post by Alefroth »

It's likely over 50% now, which certainly isn't a small percentage.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Alefroth wrote: Tue Mar 12, 2024 2:34 pm
Rumpy wrote: Tue Mar 12, 2024 2:14 am I'd be genuinely curious about how many console gamers would be able to game in 4K. I'd bet it's a small percentage. Still only have a regular HDTV, for example. No fancy stuff.
44% of homes had 4K TVs in 2021

https://www.statista.com/statistics/124 ... %20devices.
Goddammit. I went and dug up that same statistic and had the same link in my clipboard before I saw your post.

4k is probably over 50% by now, and I'd be willing to bet that the majority of people under 65 that don't have one intend that their next TV will be 4k. On top of that, every console released in the last eight years has 4k support (Nintendo excepted.) We're a TV generation away from full HD (1080) going the way of standard def TVs. I remember being frustrated with the Xbox 360 games specifically didn't support my standard def CRT, as the text was unreadable. It's what finally got me to modernize my TV - support for the old standard was dying. We're not going to be there with FHD for a long time (because it's not as big of a visual jump that 4k won't look right on 1080), but most new content and new technologies are all going to support 4k. The biggest chunk of the market wants it, and that chunk is only going to grow.
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Scraper wrote: Tue Mar 12, 2024 8:46 am I don't think 60fps is really as big a deal as you make it. I honestly can't tell the difference between 30fps and 60fps in 90% of the games I play. Heck bump that to 45fps and 60fps and I can't tell a difference ever.
It's not obvious on a TV, but it stands out like a sore thumb to me on a PC monitor. 30FPS looks extremely jittery compared to 60, just like a a 60Hz monitor looks feels less smooth than a 144Hz.
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)
Alefroth

Post by Alefroth »

Blackhawk wrote: Tue Mar 12, 2024 5:43 pm Goddammit. I went and dug up that same statistic and had the same link in my clipboard before I saw your post.
:)

I'm just surprised someone else didn't beat us.
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

I still have a 1080p TV. 2, I guess. edit: Actually the second, smaller one is 720. Even I was a bit shocked to realize that recently.

I have considered getting a new one, but it would be a waste of money. We barely use the ones we have.
disarm

Post by disarm »

I've been playing PS5/Xbox on a 60" 4K TV for several years now and can't imagine going back, but that's not entirely because of 4K resolutions. Personally, I don't find the jump from 1080p to 4K to be nearly as impactful as the move to HDR. The increased color dynamics make a huge difference that is way more noticeable than higher resolution. You're not likely to find many TVs that offer HDR that aren't also 4K though.

Rumpy

Post by Rumpy »

Yeah, I could have sworn most new TVs are categorized as 4K HDR.

Well, the reason we still only have an HDTV is because we have only one TV in the house, and it was a hand-me-down from when my Grandmother passed away, and it hasn't kicked the bucket. But before that, we were using a CRT. That was around 2009.
PC:
Ryzen 5 3600
32GB RAM
2x1TB NVMe Drives
GTX 1660 Ti
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

disarm wrote: Wed Mar 13, 2024 11:21 am I've been playing PS5/Xbox on a 60" 4K TV for several years now and can't imagine going back, but that's not entirely because of 4K resolutions. Personally, I don't find the jump from 1080p to 4K to be nearly as impactful as the move to HDR. The increased color dynamics make a huge difference that is way more noticeable than higher resolution. You're not likely to find many TVs that offer HDR that aren't also 4K though.
I often watch those side-by-side comparison videos of "normal boring person" resolution vs "OMG LOOK AT THIS" resolution (no, I have no clue what any of the resolution numbers mean). They always look nearly identical to me. I've yet to see one that makes me think "I really should upgrade my TV for this".

I have no earthly idea what resolution my current 55" Samsung TV that I bought five years ago is but it works fine for me. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
When darkness veils the world, four Warriors of Light shall come.
Rumpy

Post by Rumpy »

Yeah, I see myself being OK with my HDTV for a few years yet.
PC:
Ryzen 5 3600
32GB RAM
2x1TB NVMe Drives
GTX 1660 Ti