[Poll] Do you personally know someone who has Covid-19?

Everything else!

Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

Do you know someone who has tested positive for Covid-19

Yes
81%
No
19%

Total votes: 134

hitbyambulance

Re: [Poll] Do you personally know someone who has Covid-19?

Post by hitbyambulance »

Xmann wrote: Thu Jan 14, 2021 9:55 am I've got acid reflux myself.
did this also start with the covid-19 infection?
TheMix

Post by TheMix »

Something that I've been curious about... Are there really still 34 people that don't know anyone that has contracted it? Or do folks just not want to change their votes?

Although, I guess for people that have stricter definitions of "personally know", it's still possible. I would think if we include "people that I know and interact with online", that the last few posts would dictate that everyone on the forum knows several people at least.

Black Lives Matter

Isgrimnur - Facebook makes you hate your friends and family. LinkedIn makes you hate you co-workers. NextDoor makes you hate your neighbors.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

I'm still a No. If Meal had popped, I would have changed it.
It's almost as if people are the problem.
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

Yeah, I'm not counting people that I know purely online. I guess I'm defining this as "IRL friends and family".
Black Lives Matter.
TheMix

Post by TheMix »

To be clear, I don't have a problem with that distinction. I was just curious.

Black Lives Matter

Isgrimnur - Facebook makes you hate your friends and family. LinkedIn makes you hate you co-workers. NextDoor makes you hate your neighbors.
Sepiche

Post by Sepiche »

I still haven't had anyone in my immediate family and friends get it, but my wife's best friend's parents who live near Tulsa caught it recently. They are both in rough shape health wise to begin with, but hopefully they only get mild cases.

In this case it sounds like her mom was a mask/virus denier who took all sorts of risks and finally brought it home. :|
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

I dont know anyone. But I dont know but a few people. I dont even need a whole hand to count the people I know now.
--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"
pr0ner

Post by pr0ner »

El Guapo wrote: Thu Jan 14, 2021 2:46 pm Yeah, I'm not counting people that I know purely online. I guess I'm defining this as "IRL friends and family".
This is how I have defined it. I know more real life people who have gotten the shot than who have had 'Rona (though who knows how many asymptomatic people there have been).
Hodor.
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

On the site I would probably count Isgrimnur as we've spent a decent bit of time together over the years and maybe Zaxxon as we've spent a couple days together in a van (that doesn't sound odd, does it?) and I slept in his house and met his family. The rest of you are imaginary, even the few I've met (forgot Octocon, so more than a few).
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
wonderpug

Post by wonderpug »

coopasonic wrote: Thu Jan 14, 2021 6:59 pm On the site I would probably count Isgrimnur as we've spent a decent bit of time together over the years and maybe Zaxxon as we've spent a couple days together in a van (that doesn't sound odd, does it?) and I slept in his house and met his family. The rest of you are imaginary, even the few I've met (forgot Octocon, so more than a few).
We had a child together, coop.
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

Found out that a neighbor's 4 year old tested positive for COVID. Mild fever that started a week ago, otherwise symptoms are apparently limited. Haven't yet heard about the neighbors themselves; assume that they're getting tested now, and that they're likely to get it as well.

I think I ran into the neighbor + daughter maybe 1.5 weeks ago around the neighborhood. Was something like 5 minutes outside with masks, so I'm not overly concerned, but still some risk I suppose. We'll probably get the family covid tested to be safe.

Anyway, changed to a yes.
Black Lives Matter.
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

El Guapo wrote: Fri Jan 15, 2021 5:51 pm Anyway, changed to a yes.
Seriously, that's your first yes? I'm approaching 3 dozen with several casualties.
Black Lives Matter
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

Jeff V wrote: Fri Jan 15, 2021 6:08 pm
Seriously, that's your first yes? I'm approaching 3 dozen with several casualties.
Yup. There have been a few relatives / friends of friends - a different neighbor's parents both got Covid, and the father died. But this is the first IRL person. Of course, decent chance there are also a couple people who had asymptomatic cases and didn't get tested, I suppose.
Black Lives Matter.
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

El Guapo wrote: Fri Jan 15, 2021 6:12 pm
Jeff V wrote: Fri Jan 15, 2021 6:08 pm
Yup. There have been a few relatives / friends of friends - a different neighbor's parents both got Covid, and the father died. But this is the first IRL person. Of course, decent chance there are also a couple people who had asymptomatic cases and didn't get tested, I suppose.
I guess that's a good sign that you, your friends and families are all taking the shit seriously from the start. My son has been in school since August, this week the school announced 3 positive cases (so, an average week). While they never name names, some identify themselves in the subdivision FB group, so I know it's swirling around here. The crossing guard was out for nearly a month when she got it.
Black Lives Matter
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

I almost wish we'd had a monthly tally of the results to see how it has changed over the year.
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)
naednek

Post by naednek »

Blackhawk wrote:I almost wish we'd had a monthly tally of the results to see how it has changed over the year.
We can have fishpants do monthly restores :)

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

hepcat - "I agree with Naednek"
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

El Guapo wrote: Fri Jan 15, 2021 5:51 pm We'll probably get the family covid tested to be safe.
How does a Masshole go about doing that? If I felt the need to be tested I'd have no idea how to proceed. Ask my doc for advice, I guess. If you do go thru with it I'd like to hear about your experience.
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

Kraken wrote: Fri Jan 15, 2021 11:07 pm
El Guapo wrote: Fri Jan 15, 2021 5:51 pm We'll probably get the family covid tested to be safe.
How does a Masshole go about doing that? If I felt the need to be tested I'd have no idea how to proceed. Ask my doc for advice, I guess. If you do go thru with it I'd like to hear about your experience.
Covid testing sites here.

My daughter got Covid testing in West Roxbury a month or so ago (I think at Atrius's location there), which was quick and easy (turned out that she had strep).
Black Lives Matter.
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

El Guapo wrote: Fri Jan 15, 2021 11:16 pm
Kraken wrote: Fri Jan 15, 2021 11:07 pm
Covid testing sites here.

My daughter got Covid testing in West Roxbury a month or so ago (I think at Atrius's location there), which was quick and easy (turned out that she had strep).
Thanks, I see there are two sites convenient to me. One hopes it doesn't take a month to get an appt.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

El Guapo wrote: Fri Jan 15, 2021 11:16 pm My daughter got Covid testing in West Roxbury a month or so ago (I think at Atrius's location there), which was quick and easy (turned out that she had strep).
It's almost as if people are the problem.
Xmann

Post by Xmann »

Quick update in the event anyone was curious how I was doing. This will be brief because I'm still pretty sick.

Friday night apparently was not good, not good at all. I was on 15L oxygen and just hanging on. I can remember hearing the words intubate from my Pulmonologist. I also remember crying when I heard that word. I know what intubating a Covid patient means. The doctor called and told my wife I was slowly getting to the point where I needed to make a turn for the better or tough decisions would need to be made. I can't imagine what my wife endured.

I hung in there Friday night and early Saturday started to make that turn for the better. I remember waking up yesterday afternoon with my Pulmonologist in my face, essentially welcoming me back from the brink of awful things. I remember reaching around to make sure I didn't have a ET tube. No tube.

24 hours later I'm up in a chair for the first time since stumbling into the ER several days ago. I'm currently on 6L and actually feeling decent. I'm not really short of breath and I'm hungry and looking forward to some football later this afternoon. Call it divine intervention, mother earth, the universe, fate, or whatever, but I'm out of the woods for now.

My doctor told me this morning he had to come see me first thing this morning because he stayed awake last night concerned for me. I really appreciate his heartfelt concern.

So that's where I'm at, right now. Doctor says things have been positive for 24 hours and hopefully he can get me home later in the week. My wife has been an absolute saint and my rock. No words can describe my thankfulness. She's already started the fmla paperwork and will be able to stay home and care for me when I get home.

I'm still here guys. I'll update everyone in a few days, hopefully from home.
gf.me/u/zhnmhs
TheMix

Post by TheMix »

Holy....

I am very relieved to read/hear you are on the upswing. What a harrowing tale. And a bit of a roller coaster.

Black Lives Matter

Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Damn man thats scary as hell. Any idea why its affecting you so badly? Get better man.
Xmann

Post by Xmann »

Daehawk wrote:Damn man thats scary as hell. Any idea why its affecting you so badly? Get better man.
This is Covid, no one really knows. However, I have a couple theories.

#1. I was working 75+ hours a week for over a month. That in itself wore my body down and left me suspectable to illness.

#2. Company I was working with neglected my health and let my lay in a hotel bed for days without having a healthcare professional check on me.

My wife has been fighting with this company and its looking like they'll pay for everything through workers comp.

That's just what I think.
gf.me/u/zhnmhs
Xmann

Post by Xmann »

I was thinking of adding my weight loss to the 2021 weight loss topic.

I'm down 23lbs.
gf.me/u/zhnmhs
Ralph-Wiggum

Post by Ralph-Wiggum »

Holy cow. That is terrifying but glad you seem to be on the mend.
Black Lives Matter
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Xmann wrote: Sun Jan 17, 2021 2:22 pm
Daehawk wrote:Damn man thats scary as hell. Any idea why its affecting you so badly? Get better man.
This is Covid, no one really knows. However, I have a couple theories.

#1. I was working 75+ hours a week for over a month. That in itself wore my body down and left me suspectable to illness.

#2. Company I was working with neglected my health and let my lay in a hotel bed for days without having a healthcare professional check on me.

My wife has been fighting with this company and its looking like they'll pay for everything through workers comp.

That's just what I think.
Maybe you have a lot of neanderthal genes :)
The Meal

Post by The Meal »

X, really glad you're on the upswing. What a horrific experience as a reward for you doing such a tremendous thing for so many who were similarly suffering.

You deserve much better.
"Better to talk to people than communicate via tweet." — Elontra
KKBlue

Post by KKBlue »

Xmann wrote: Sun Jan 17, 2021 2:22 pm
Wonderful!

Over joyed that you will be able to honestly be with her soon too! Welcome back, glad you are here. :horse:
"Why do people say grow some balls? Balls are weak and sensitive. If you wanna be tough, grow a vagina. Those things can take a pounding!" - Betty White
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

Xmann wrote: Sun Jan 17, 2021 2:25 pm I was thinking of adding my weight loss to the 2021 weight loss topic.

I'm down 23lbs.
:shock: Not a recommended technique. :lol:

Glad to hear that you turned the corner after you almost didn't. Still wishing you a full recovery.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

I'm speechless. I've heard (and read) many similar stories but never from someone that I have any type of association with. The completely unpredictable nature and how things go from bad to worse so rapidly is downright frightening to read. Glad you're on the other side of this now and progressing.
Maybe next year, maybe no go
Dramatist

Post by Dramatist »

I’m very grateful that you seem to have turned the corner. Continue healing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Now Playing
Marvel Puzzle Quest
gbasden

Post by gbasden »

I'm so glad to hear that you are doing better! That must have been scary as hell for you and your wife.
Hrdina

Post by Hrdina »

Wow, X, words fail me. I hope your upswing continues & accelerates so you can get home soon.
Conform or be cast out!
Ralph-Wiggum

Post by Ralph-Wiggum »

Two people from my old lab in St. Louis have tested positive in the last two weeks. One of them had mild to medium symptoms (cough, fever, aches and pains) and the other has been asymptomatic but just got her positive test.
Black Lives Matter
FishPants
Server WhOOre

Post by FishPants »

Holy crap glad you are on the upswing; I can't frigging imagine what going through this is like (well I guess in a way I can which is why I've been training so hard to dump weight and get in shape.).

Hope you have a good lawyer on retainer, sounds like you need one.
No.
Moat_Man

Post by Moat_Man »

Wow, glad you are recovering. That is scary as hell.
End of line
¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯
Sudy

Post by Sudy »

Hang in there Xmann.

I saw a commercial on late night TV. It said, "Forget everything you know about slipcovers." So I did. And it was a load off my mind. Then the commercial tried to sell me slipcovers, and I didn't know what the hell they were. -- Mitch Hedberg
KKBlue

Post by KKBlue »

Dramatist wrote: Sun Jan 17, 2021 5:16 pm I’m very grateful that you seem to have turned the corner. Continue healing.
Happy you are healing too! Thank you for sharing and posting your recovery.
"Why do people say grow some balls? Balls are weak and sensitive. If you wanna be tough, grow a vagina. Those things can take a pounding!" - Betty White
raydude

Post by raydude »

Xmann wrote: Sun Jan 17, 2021 2:05 pm I'm still here guys. I'll update everyone in a few days, hopefully from home.
Dude, I hope you recover soon. Looking forward to more tales from the front lines after you get better.