[Poll] Do you personally know someone who has Covid-19?

Everything else!

Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

Do you know someone who has tested positive for Covid-19

Yes
81%
No
19%

Total votes: 134

Daehawk

Re: [Poll] Do you personally know someone who has Covid-19?

Post by Daehawk »

Are most of you catching this at work or something?
--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"
Dramatist

Post by Dramatist »

Daehawk wrote:Are most of you catching this at work or something?
I got it from my wife who probably got it from work. She’s a teacher and it was going around her school. But I work at Home Depot so I face many other people every day at work. I usually don’t spend more than a few minutes with any particular person though.

Also Covid is everywhere now so we have that going for us.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Now Playing
Marvel Puzzle Quest
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

Daehawk wrote: Sun Jan 24, 2021 9:03 pm Are most of you catching this at work or something?
My wife managed to dodge the bullet last month when more than 100 residents and staff caught it at her job. She works in a non-Covid unit, and her residents would be moved out when they tested positive. They are down to just a couple of cases now, but also low census since so many died, hence her taking a second job.

My son's classroom had a positive case this week, and they moved the class to a different room for a day for full disinfecting. Probably the closest I came to engaging with a known Covid positive person (not known at the time, of course) was the crossing guard, who I exchange pleasantries with a few times a day, and while I'm always wearing my mask, she still has a tendency to pull hers down when talking.
Black Lives Matter
The Meal

Post by The Meal »

Good luck to your sis and her family, Silj.
"Better to talk to people than communicate via tweet." — Elontra
$iljanus
Forum Moderator

Post by $iljanus »

Thanks, Neil. She was 3 days from the onset of symptoms when she told me. Told her to get a pulse oximeter and keep an eye on her O2. Luckily, her boyfriend lives with her and was able to watch over her. We were hoping she could get through it without going to the hospital but I told her that if her O2 drops below 90 and doesn't come back up she should go to the hospital.
Black lives matter!

Wise words of warning from Smoove B: Oh, how you all laughed when I warned you about the semen. Well, who's laughing now?
stessier

Post by stessier »

Daehawk wrote: Sun Jan 24, 2021 9:03 pm Are most of you catching this at work or something?
We have had many people at my work come down with it, but no one has yet been traced back to an at work spreading event. It has always come back as either church or an outside social gathering.
I require a reminder as to why raining arcane destruction is not an appropriate response to all of life's indignities. - Vaarsuvius
Global Steam Wishmaslist Tracking
Running____2014: 1300.55 miles____2015: 2036.13 miles____2016: 1012.75 miles____2017: 1105.82 miles____2018: 1318.91 miles__2019: 2000.00 miles
Paingod

Post by Paingod »

Xmann wrote: Thu Jan 21, 2021 12:52 pmGot the oxygen and I'm leaving.
How are you holding up?
Daehawk wrote: Sun Jan 24, 2021 9:03 pmAre most of you catching this at work or something?
All of the brushes with COVID I've had have been through work. The frequency seems to be increasing.

I work for a medical eye care practice that services a lot of elderly patients, but still has a robust "under 40" demographic. Everyone who needs glasses or eye checkups.
  • Late last year I had a contractor in to do some work who told me his whole family had gotten COVID earlier in the year.
  • Later a co-worker got knocked out for a few weeks and caused a quarantine of one entire clinic with two other employees testing positive.
  • An employee in our billing department had potentially been exposed and was out for two weeks, came back negative.
  • My boss had potentially been exposed through his son and was out for three weeks.
  • A manager of the first clinic to shut down is currently out for two weeks while she waits to see her final results.
Aside from work, we've had one instance of a "positive" at my kid's schools that caused a brief shutdown. The schools have not been the petri dishes I expected them to be, at least not up here. I see teachers every day working to make masks and social distancing totally normal for children.

I live in a state with generally low COVID numbers, but the places where this keeps happening is where you'd normally find a lot of lower-income, less educated people with a percentage of them still grumbling about masks and complaining that having to wear them is killing them.
Black Lives Matter

2021-01-20: The first good night's sleep I had in 4 years.
Ralph-Wiggum

Post by Ralph-Wiggum »

stessier wrote: Mon Jan 25, 2021 5:20 am
We have had many people at my work come down with it, but no one has yet been traced back to an at work spreading event. It has always come back as either church or an outside social gathering.
Same here. I'm assuming this is because masks are mandatory at work and so many people here are likely acting much more cautiously at work than they do outside of work.
Black Lives Matter
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

Ralph-Wiggum wrote: Mon Jan 25, 2021 9:45 am
Same here. I'm assuming this is because masks are mandatory at work and so many people here are likely acting much more cautiously at work than they do outside of work.
We don't get reports of why/how coworkers get it. They won't even tell us who gets it, even as you look around and go. The in office presence is less than 15 people for the last year. Who's not coming in? It's a bit more tricky for the personnel who only come in once a month or so.
Ralph-Wiggum

Post by Ralph-Wiggum »

We are pretty much back to a full building. I'm lucky in that I have my own office, but not a small number of people work in cubicles or in shared spaces. Perhaps most surprisingly, most of the Covid cases at work that I know about occurred relatively early in the pandemic (April - July), before we were back at the office. I've only heard about one case since then, although semi-regularly a coworker will have to work from home for a few days after a potential exposure.
Black Lives Matter
Archinerd

Post by Archinerd »

Ralph-Wiggum wrote: Mon Jan 25, 2021 9:45 am
This is what I'm seeing too.
If I'm counting correctly, I think I know 12 people who have had or currently have covid. Of those, I don't know how 2 of them got it (one thinks she got it from going to the grocery store). My cousin lives in a group home for people with special needs, and got it when the second wave came through their facility. The other 9 got it through church or friend/family gatherings.
Xmann

Post by Xmann »

Paingod wrote:
Xmann wrote: Thu Jan 21, 2021 12:52 pmGot the oxygen and I'm leaving.
How are you holding up?
Daehawk wrote: Sun Jan 24, 2021 9:03 pmAre most of you catching this at work or something?
All of the brushes with COVID I've had have been through work. The frequency seems to be increasing.

I work for a medical eye care practice that services a lot of elderly patients, but still has a robust "under 40" demographic. Everyone who needs glasses or eye checkups.
  • Late last year I had a contractor in to do some work who told me his whole family had gotten COVID earlier in the year.
  • Later a co-worker got knocked out for a few weeks and caused a quarantine of one entire clinic with two other employees testing positive.
  • An employee in our billing department had potentially been exposed and was out for two weeks, came back negative.
  • My boss had potentially been exposed through his son and was out for three weeks.
  • A manager of the first clinic to shut down is currently out for two weeks while she waits to see her final results.
Aside from work, we've had one instance of a "positive" at my kid's schools that caused a brief shutdown. The schools have not been the petri dishes I expected them to be, at least not up here. I see teachers every day working to make masks and social distancing totally normal for children.

I live in a state with generally low COVID numbers, but the places where this keeps happening is where you'd normally find a lot of lower-income, less educated people with a percentage of them still grumbling about masks and complaining that having to wear them is killing them.
Today is day 4 of being home. I'm doing ok and making progress. But this is going to take a while I'm afraid.

When I got home Thursday afternoon, it was very emotional. My wife broke down because she was so happy for me to be home. But she has also been incredibly brave that I don't think she's taken time for herself to deal with her own emotions. We shared those feelings with each other and it was tough. I didn't know the doc had called my wife and warned her I was looking like I could go downhill fast and she needed to be prepared. She had called our financial advisor on Friday and talked worse case scenario. I had no idea and I'm feeling some guilt she had to be put through that.

I'm definitely better than I was when I got home Thursday afternoon. I could barely stand and walk into the house. Today I can get up and walk with a cane in and around the house a bit. My wife is a physical therapist so she started a rehab plan with me yesterday.

My biggest issue is my oxygen requirements. I do pretty decent during the day and only need 2l at all times. Come evening time I'm worn out and I usually need between 3 and 4 liters. Sleeping has been rough. I can't find a comfortable position and get oxygenated. Last night I slept in my recliner and while it wasn't great, it was my best night.

Being realistic, my strength will come and I'm already doing better. However, my oxygen requirements are going to be the challenge. I just can't fill my lungs and get a full breath in. I know it's going to take time, but not being able to breath sucks.

I'll update you guys every couple days. I'm going to be ok, just going to take some time. I go see my md for the first time this Friday.
gf.me/u/zhnmhs
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

Thank you for checking in. I worry about you.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Xmann wrote: Mon Jan 25, 2021 11:51 am When I got home Thursday afternoon, it was very emotional. My wife broke down because she was so happy for me to be home. But she has also been incredibly brave that I don't think she's taken time for herself to deal with her own emotions. We shared those feelings with each other and it was tough. I didn't know the doc had called my wife and warned her I was looking like I could go downhill fast and she needed to be prepared. She had called our financial advisor on Friday and talked worse case scenario. I had no idea and I'm feeling some guilt she had to be put through that.
How's the boy?
It's almost as if people are the problem.
Xmann

Post by Xmann »

Isgrimnur wrote:
Xmann wrote: Mon Jan 25, 2021 11:51 am When I got home Thursday afternoon, it was very emotional. My wife broke down because she was so happy for me to be home. But she has also been incredibly brave that I don't think she's taken time for herself to deal with her own emotions. We shared those feelings with each other and it was tough. I didn't know the doc had called my wife and warned her I was looking like I could go downhill fast and she needed to be prepared. She had called our financial advisor on Friday and talked worse case scenario. I had no idea and I'm feeling some guilt she had to be put through that.
How's the boy?
My son?

He didn't really understand how sick I was. He was pretty shocked and upset at my condition. But he's stepped up to help and I couldn't be anymore proud of him than I am right now

I'm beyond thankful for my family and support I'm receiving.
gf.me/u/zhnmhs
Xmann

Post by Xmann »

LordMortis wrote:Thank you for checking in. I worry about you.
Very kind of you. It's honestly hard to be humble to ask your wife or son to take you to the restroom.

This is just going to be a slow recovery.

We are waiting to see what kind of weekly compensation I'll get from workers comp so we can start financially planning for the next month or longer. We turned our Hulu and Netflix off for now because that $30 or so might come in handy here soon. We don't have much worry financially because we've saved for such an emergency. Just never thought we'd need to use it.
gf.me/u/zhnmhs
stessier

Post by stessier »

Xmann wrote: Mon Jan 25, 2021 6:02 pm We are waiting to see what kind of weekly compensation I'll get from workers comp so we can start financially planning for the next month or longer. We turned our Hulu and Netflix off for now because that $30 or so might come in handy here soon. We don't have much worry financially because we've saved for such an emergency. Just never thought we'd need to use it.
Wow, I just checked what workmans' comp pays - that is not a lot! TN says 66% of your salary up to a maximum of $752/week. Now I need to check and see if I have supplemental insurance in case anything happens to me. :shock:
I require a reminder as to why raining arcane destruction is not an appropriate response to all of life's indignities. - Vaarsuvius
Global Steam Wishmaslist Tracking
Running____2014: 1300.55 miles____2015: 2036.13 miles____2016: 1012.75 miles____2017: 1105.82 miles____2018: 1318.91 miles__2019: 2000.00 miles
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

$752/week = 18.80/hr for 40 hrs, so $28.20 becomes the highest to get "full" benefits.
It's almost as if people are the problem.
pr0ner

Post by pr0ner »

While the number of people who I personally know who have had Covid remains low (it's only 3), none of them are people I know in the Northern VA/DC area. Or if they've had it, they haven't been forthcoming that they had it.
Hodor.
KKBlue

Post by KKBlue »

Dramatist wrote: Sun Jan 24, 2021 9:07 pm... But I work at Home Depot so I face many other people every day at work. I usually don’t spend more than a few minutes with any particular person though.
I actually went to nights with Home Depot - pack down - taking a cut hours to avoid the interactions with the general public. There are still coworkers who have either contacted the virus or is out because of someone in their house's family testing positive. Home Depot is doing a good job with attempting to keep us safe and controlling the spreading Covid. Wish the store would let us know by using a form of confidentiality posting when a department has a positive (they stopped that a few months back).
"Why do people say grow some balls? Balls are weak and sensitive. If you wanna be tough, grow a vagina. Those things can take a pounding!" - Betty White
$iljanus
Forum Moderator

Post by $iljanus »

So sister still in ER after being admitted Sunday but hopefully will be transferred to a room tonight. ER nurse said there was a room so I'll be optimistic. And it's confirmed that she has pneumonia due to Covid. Hope her lungs aren't going to be really messed up after all this on top of her asthma. But all we can do is treat her now, get her through the next few days and take the rest as it comes.

This shit with the impeachment is necessary to hold him accountable for the insurrection but that fucker really needs to pay for his dereliction of duty relating to the pandemic. I'll lay the 400,000 dead on him and his cronies
Black lives matter!

Wise words of warning from Smoove B: Oh, how you all laughed when I warned you about the semen. Well, who's laughing now?
Archinerd

Post by Archinerd »

Well, I'm up to 13 people I know now.
This probably makes me a bad person, but I'm not really all that upset with this latest one. She's the ex-wife of my brother-in-law, and is one of the most vindictive selfish people I've ever met. Apparently, she has some sort of connection to what happened on 1/6 too, and may have even been there. So, thoughts and prayers, I guess.
Anonymous Bosch

Post by Anonymous Bosch »

$iljanus wrote: Mon Jan 25, 2021 11:04 pm So sister still in ER after being admitted Sunday but hopefully will be transferred to a room tonight. ER nurse said there was a room so I'll be optimistic. And it's confirmed that she has pneumonia due to Covid. Hope her lungs aren't going to be really messed up after all this on top of her asthma. But all we can do is treat her now, get her through the next few days and take the rest as it comes.
Indeed, it's worth keeping in mind pneumococcal vaccines are widely available from Walgreens and such, even if you're under the age of 50 or 65.

Pneumococcal vaccines cannot prevent all cases, but they can and do lower your risks of developing a dangerous secondary pneumococcal infection should the worst happen. So if you can afford to pay out of pocket for it, it may provide at least a little additional protection while waiting for the COVID vaccine (though obviously not against COVID itself).

Anyway, best wishes to you and your sister.
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." — P. J. O'Rourke
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Had one of those vaccines years ago. Never again.
--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"
FishPants
Server WhOOre

Post by FishPants »

KKBlue wrote: Mon Jan 25, 2021 8:59 pm
Dramatist wrote: Sun Jan 24, 2021 9:07 pm... But I work at Home Depot so I face many other people every day at work. I usually don’t spend more than a few minutes with any particular person though.
I actually went to nights with Home Depot - pack down - taking a cut hours to avoid the interactions with the general public. There are still coworkers who have either contacted the virus or is out because of someone in their house's family testing positive. Home Depot is doing a good job with attempting to keep us safe and controlling the spreading Covid. Wish the store would let us know by using a form of confidentiality posting when a department has a positive (they stopped that a few months back).
So that's not home depot doing a good job at all. If they used to report on infections and now don't, that's not because there are so few it wasn't worth it - likely quite the opposite. Thankfully public health in Ontario contact traces where they can, and discloses where public infections occured (X grocery store, 5 employees test positive). The public notice is pretty important in my opinion.
No.
malchior

Post by malchior »

Oof. Just found out that a referee in the NJ roller derby community died of COVID today.
Xmann

Post by Xmann »

Couple things today

#1 Just had my first doctor follow-up. I'm making progress, it's just slow as hell. Doctor told me she takes 1 hospital day and counts that as 1 week of recovery. So 9 days in the hospital is around 9 weeks of recovery. However, Covid has changed the rules and 9 weeks is just a ballpark. Could be less, could be more.
She wants me to start Cardio/Pulmonary rehab. This will be 3 times a week and I'll start next week.
Yesterday I was able to walk down the driveway to the mailbox and back. Felt really good to be outside. I have also been able to get my oxygen down to 1.5l during the day and 2 while sleeping. That's encouraging.
So the long and short, I'm progressing, just a slow process.

#2. I'm embarrassed and not even sure if I should ask or even consider this.
I mentioned before that my wife and I have saved over the years for an emergency. However, looking at potentially 2-3 months recovery and no idea how longer after that I can get back to work, is sounding daunting. I have always been the bread winner with my wife being a school teacher. Additionally, I'll only get <$700 a week workers comp. My question is about a GoFundMe. Is that something to consider to help us get through the next few months without draining all of our savings? I might not be able to work again until the fall or later, nobody knows. What is everyone's thought about a GoFundMe?
gf.me/u/zhnmhs
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

I mean, you almost died, and that happened as a result of pretty noble and important work that you were doing (combined with some company negligence). I don't think many people would judge you for starting a GoFundMe, and I don't think you should be embarrassed about it. I'm sure that people here would contribute.
Black Lives Matter.
Hamlet3145

Post by Hamlet3145 »

Xmann wrote: Fri Jan 29, 2021 1:59 pm What is everyone's thought about a GoFundMe?
I'm sure many people would be happy to help. I say go right ahead. Also, very happy to hear you are making some progress!
TheMix

Post by TheMix »

Hamlet3145 wrote: Fri Jan 29, 2021 2:11 pm
Xmann wrote: Fri Jan 29, 2021 1:59 pm What is everyone's thought about a GoFundMe?
I'm sure many people would be happy to help. I say go right ahead. Also, very happy to hear you are making some progress!
This.

Black Lives Matter

Isgrimnur - Facebook makes you hate your friends and family. LinkedIn makes you hate you co-workers. NextDoor makes you hate your neighbors.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Absolutely. Make it happen, and don't be shy on describing the circumstances. You aren't someone who got sick and needs help. You were a medical worker who traveled to help others in a nightmare situation, worked yourself to utter exhaustion, then fell sick to the very thing you'd gone to save others from. Then the people you were there with dumped you off by the door to the hospital and sped away, leaving you to fend for yourself after all you'd done for others. Let someone else write the text or write it in third person ("This happened to Xmann" rather than "This happened to me") and get it started!
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

Go for it. There are many other people looking for help, but you have a particularly compelling story and a network of internet friends to help spread it. Not that you need any help, but I'll chip in a free copy edit (a $60 vlue!) if you want to send me your text. PM me if interested.
pr0ner

Post by pr0ner »

Kraken wrote: Sat Jan 30, 2021 12:24 am Go for it. There are many other people looking for help, but you have a particularly compelling story and a network of internet friends to help spread it. Not that you need any help, but I'll chip in a free copy edit (a $60 value!) if you want to send me your text. PM me if interested.
FTFY. :mrgreen:
Hodor.
Xmann

Post by Xmann »

Interesting enough, my daughter texted me last night and asked what I thought about a GoFundMe. She told me she wanted to do it while I was hospitalized but didn't know if I would have wanted it done. She is going to work on getting it done today.

gf.me/u/zhnmhs
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Have her take advantage of Kraken's offer!
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

pr0ner wrote: Sat Jan 30, 2021 10:22 am
Kraken wrote: Sat Jan 30, 2021 12:24 am Go for it. There are many other people looking for help, but you have a particularly compelling story and a network of internet friends to help spread it. Not that you need any help, but I'll chip in a free copy edit (a $60 value!) if you want to send me your text. PM me if interested.
FTFY. :mrgreen:
:oops: I wasn't on the clock. :lol:

Post by Default »

Lost another one of my patrons off my route. Nice old guy, but I noticed his mail piling up and asked a neighbor. Went into the hospital, was put on a ventilator after three days, and never made a week. :-( Also, my ex's church continues to host a superspreader event every Sunday, so a couple more cases there. Evangelidiots. Thank god, she's had the common sense to stay home for the past year. My boss has still not returned from her bout with C-19, and it's been two months, but she is rolling covid time into her vacation. I have heard from a couple different sources that she is upset that her doctor told her she can't fly to Florida, because of the chance of developing blood clots.
"pcp, lsd, thc, tgb...it's all good." ~ Kraken
$iljanus
Forum Moderator

Post by $iljanus »

Sister is doing better! She's moved from full mask O2 to a nasal cannula and more importantly after a CT scan there's no evidence of clots. Hopefully will be discharged on Friday and also hoping she'll gain back her strength soon since walking around is like running a marathon to her.
Black lives matter!

ImLawBoy
Forum Admin

Post by ImLawBoy »

Nothing like heavy snowfall to get the neighborhood together. I was out doing round two of shoveling yesterday while the kids frolicked in the snow. I haven't spoken to one of the families (mom, dad, and ~20 year old son) across the street since the holidays, but he was clearing the steps next door for my neighbor who threw her back out recently (I had already cleared her sidewalk). We said hi. He asked how our Christmas was, and I said it was great - we stayed home and didn't have to worry about visiting or being visited. I asked how his was. He said it was great - they went to his mother's house in [suburbs] for Christmas, and there were about 20 people there. They all had COVID for the new year, but everyone recovered. :grund:
That's my purse! I don't know you!
The Meal

Post by The Meal »

$iljanus wrote: Mon Feb 01, 2021 10:35 am Sister is doing better! She's moved from full mask O2 to a nasal cannula and more importantly after a CT scan there's no evidence of clots. Hopefully will be discharged on Friday and also hoping she'll gain back her strength soon since walking around is like running a marathon to her.
Thank goodness!!
"Better to talk to people than communicate via tweet." — Elontra