Axis & Allies Online 1942 - any good?

If it's a video game it goes here.

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, Arcanis, $iljanus

Lassr

Re: Axis & Allies Online 1942 - any good?

Post by Lassr »

Lassr wrote: Sun May 17, 2020 9:33 am
Zenn7 wrote: Sun May 17, 2020 12:00 am
So, this afternoon I went down to 0 hours warning and...

Absolutely nothing happened. Game says I have 0 hours until warning. I did not get an email, any special in game notification that I recall, it didn't skip my turn or AI play it. So, 24 hour count down so far seems to be a bogey man tactic?

EDIT:
Found this on the steam forums, though it doesn't to have happened here yet. Guess sometime tomorrow evening or after, we'll see if Lassr can kick me and what happens.
"They give you 24 hours to take a turn before you get a warning/reminder, and then an additional 24 hours until someone can kick you from the game if you still haven't taken your turn."
i went to the game and I can't get into the game unless I click spectate but there is also a notify button. If I click notify then it says you have 24 hours to move or be removed from the game. You have been notified!
I have the option to kick you from the game, want me to to see what happens next? I wonder if you have the capability of deleting the game after I kick you. I don't want this game sitting in my menu forever.
The only reason people get lost in thought is because it's unfamiliar territory.

Black Lives Matter
Zenn7

Post by Zenn7 »

Lassr wrote: Mon May 18, 2020 10:43 am

Absolutely nothing happened. Game says I have 0 hours until warning. I did not get an email, any special in game notification that I recall, it didn't skip my turn or AI play it. So, 24 hour count down so far seems to be a bogey man tactic?

EDIT:
Found this on the steam forums, though it doesn't to have happened here yet. Guess sometime tomorrow evening or after, we'll see if Lassr can kick me and what happens.
"They give you 24 hours to take a turn before you get a warning/reminder, and then an additional 24 hours until someone can kick you from the game if you still haven't taken your turn."
i went to the game and I can't get into the game unless I click spectate but there is also a notify button. If I click notify then it says you have 24 hours to move or be removed from the game. You have been notified!
I have the option to kick you from the game, want me to to see what happens next? I wonder if you have the capability of deleting the game after I kick you. I don't want this game sitting in my menu forever.
Try and kick me. Let's see what happens. If nothing else, you should be able to forfeit the game or something if I can't delete it. But we might as well continue the experiment to it's conclusion.
Lassr

Post by Lassr »

Zenn7 wrote: Mon May 18, 2020 11:46 am

EDIT:
Try and kick me. Let's see what happens. If nothing else, you should be able to forfeit the game or something if I can't delete it. But we might as well continue the experiment to it's conclusion.
the lazy bum has been kicked out of the game and it automatically put me in charge of Russia. Can you still see the game?

Edit: It actually allowed me to delete the game, so I did.
The only reason people get lost in thought is because it's unfamiliar territory.

Black Lives Matter
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

Lassr wrote: Sun May 17, 2020 1:14 pm Rules issues. I did respond to my support email about my name change asking about giving feedback on alternate rules.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk
I don't think there is a ton that they can do on rules issues - I imagine that they're heavily restricted by the base game rules.

One thing that I think they could / should implement is bidding for sides, which I understand is commonly used by players to balance the game. E.g., one player might bid "Allies +8", and the other might bid "Allies +12", in which case the first player 'wins' with the low bid, and takes the Allied side, and gets 8 IPCs worth of stuff to place at the start of the game.
Black Lives Matter.
Zenn7

Post by Zenn7 »

Lassr wrote: Mon May 18, 2020 12:45 pm
Zenn7 wrote: Mon May 18, 2020 11:46 am

EDIT:
the lazy bum has been kicked out of the game and it automatically put me in charge of Russia. Can you still see the game?

Edit: It actually allowed me to delete the game, so I did.
Didn't check before you deleted it. Did not have any in-game notification, didn't see the deleted game.
Got an email that I forfeited and you took control of Russia.

So now we have a good idea of how this works.

Thanks for your assistance Lassr. :)
Lassr

Post by Lassr »

El Guapo wrote: Mon May 18, 2020 2:42 pm
Lassr wrote: Sun May 17, 2020 1:14 pm Rules issues. I did respond to my support email about my name change asking about giving feedback on alternate rules.

I don't think there is a ton that they can do on rules issues - I imagine that they're heavily restricted by the base game rules.

One thing that I think they could / should implement is bidding for sides, which I understand is commonly used by players to balance the game. E.g., one player might bid "Allies +8", and the other might bid "Allies +12", in which case the first player 'wins' with the low bid, and takes the Allied side, and gets 8 IPCs worth of stuff to place at the start of the game.
They can have more alternate rules, there is already one set of alternate rules in the game.

Black Lives Matter
Zenn7

Post by Zenn7 »

Fear the player with the winning record who bids negative!
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

Lassr wrote: Mon May 18, 2020 2:51 pm

They can have more alternate rules, there is already one set of alternate rules in the game.
Do you mean the alternate "tournament" set up?
Black Lives Matter.
Lassr

Post by Lassr »

El Guapo wrote:

I guess. I haven't paid much attention to what it was called.

Black Lives Matter
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

Lassr wrote: Mon May 18, 2020 5:42 pm
El Guapo wrote:

I guess. I haven't paid much attention to what it was called.

I'm referring to the alternate set up, which just changes where initial pieces are set up (mostly helps the UK navy, IIRC), but doesn't change the rules per se. They could definitely add more of those, or let the players customize starting position more.
Black Lives Matter.
Lassr

Post by Lassr »

Yes, it's an alternate setup. I think they need an options menu for different rules. I submitted the request through their feedback system. We'll see what they say, if anything.

Black Lives Matter
Lassr

Post by Lassr »

Russia goes down in the one game I'm in. Uk could do nothing but buy transports and bomb a factory.

Black Lives Matter
Zenn7

Post by Zenn7 »

Zenn7 wrote: Sat May 16, 2020 11:10 pm
stessier wrote: Sat May 16, 2020 5:23 am In Zenn's game, I'm not going to lie, the Wehrmacht just had an amazing round of rolls leading to the best turn I've ever had and resulting in the people of Britain learning to enjoy sauerkraut.
Not sure how well we were doing before that, but after that, I think the allies are toast. That loss of IPC/production for a turn as Britain combined with the extra pile of IPC for Germany, when the map just doesn't look good anywhere for the allies (the Japanese are virtually unopposed in the Pacific and Asia, and Russia is being surrounded now - this turn will see most everything outside of Moscow gone).
All and all, I'm amazed at how well the allies are doing currently. Not that we're going to win, but thought we'd be doing worse by now.
Zenn7

Post by Zenn7 »

In Raydude's game, Russia has fallen!

Think the game has 2 turns left (though the Allies might surprise me, especially as I forgot to move my BB and transport to a more effective position for next turn).
Redfive

Post by Redfive »

Wish there was a way to undo everything except battle results (obv).

Hate making bonehead moves and then seeing it without being able to fix it.
Battle.net: red51ve#1673
Elder Scrolls Online - @redfive
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Game's going to be over this turn or next.
It's almost as if people are the problem.
stessier

Post by stessier »

I wish after the game was over that the board was still available for a while to see what happened. I just won a game, but I didn't get to see the final board state. :?
I require a reminder as to why raining arcane destruction is not an appropriate response to all of life's indignities. - Vaarsuvius
Global Steam Wishmaslist Tracking
Running____2014: 1300.55 miles____2015: 2036.13 miles____2016: 1012.75 miles____2017: 1105.82 miles____2018: 1318.91 miles__2019: 2000.00 miles
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

stessier wrote: Tue May 19, 2020 12:22 pm I wish after the game was over that the board was still available for a while to see what happened. I just won a game, but I didn't get to see the final board state. :?
Tell them that.
Zenn7

Post by Zenn7 »

Raydude's game is over next turn unless the Allies have some miracle planned.

Pretty sure the 14 tanks next door will take out India.
raydude

Post by raydude »

Hey all, I'm going to take a break from this game for a bit. I need to calm down and play some relaxing single-player games like FF7 Remake and Outer Worlds. Isgrimnur, sorry but I have to decline your invite.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

No worries.
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

Do any of the other remaining players in the World 1 game object if the Allies forfeit? The Axis are at 8 cities, have roughly double the IPC production and two or three times the "attack capacity" of the Allies. The game's effectively over, but it's still going to take a few turns for the Axis to capture one of London, Manila, or Honolulu, so it doesn't seem worth the time.

Also, I'm down to this one doomed game, so I'm open to another game or two.
Black Lives Matter.
Zenn7

Post by Zenn7 »

In Isg's new game, I tried something slightly different for Russia opening compared to my usual. Instead of using the fighters to support my ground offensives, I took the German navy out (the Cruiser and the Transport in the Baltic). Cost me a fighter though. Not sure if it will be worthwhile or not, but thought it was worth a shot and something different.

Edit - just noticed, you set this up as a domination game rather than the normal Victory Cities win. Something different! Think this could help the allies as there have been times I think they could have come back and won but couldn't get their forces to the right place in time. Granted some games, they're clearly doomed, in which case, guessing they'd just forfeit then.

El Guap, I'm up for another game.
No Raydude, Lassr, DBT.

Zenn7, Guap, guessing Isg will play; think Steisser and Redfive is all we have left to try.

As we mostly have Axis victories (we've had what, 2 Allied victories - 7-8 Axis?) - anyone interested in trying that alternate tournament start? I'll play Germany still (I don't have to, but didn't want to come across as looking for an edge for my side, just wanted to try these alternate rules).
Lassr

Post by Lassr »

I joined Isgrimnur's total domination game since it would be different. I don't want to be in anymore right now. 1 game at a time for me.

Black Lives Matter
dbt1949

Post by dbt1949 »

Well, evidently the game I'm in is kaput. I was totally confused on being the Americans and so kind of botched the turn.
I guess I'll quit the game too then. Adios
Ye Olde Farte
Double Ought Forty
aka dbt1949
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

Zenn7
El Guapo
stessier
Redfive

Isgrimnur?
Bueller?
Last edited by El Guapo on Wed May 20, 2020 1:59 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Black Lives Matter.
stessier

Post by stessier »

El Guapo wrote: Wed May 20, 2020 9:58 am Sign up list for a new game:

Zenn7
El Guapo

Isgrimnur?
Stessier?
Redfive?
In!

If we can't get a full 5, can someone control more than one nation?
I require a reminder as to why raining arcane destruction is not an appropriate response to all of life's indignities. - Vaarsuvius
Global Steam Wishmaslist Tracking
Running____2014: 1300.55 miles____2015: 2036.13 miles____2016: 1012.75 miles____2017: 1105.82 miles____2018: 1318.91 miles__2019: 2000.00 miles
Zenn7

Post by Zenn7 »

stessier wrote: Wed May 20, 2020 10:35 am

Zenn7
El Guapo

Isgrimnur?
Stessier?
Redfive?
In!

If we can't get a full 5, can someone control more than one nation?
Apparently so as I seem to be Russia and Great Britain in Isg's total domination game. Apologies if I cut somebody out, that was an accident. I will get to my turn soon as I can, but probably not til 5:30-6 PM Eastern (work day ends around then).
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

You replaced El Guapo's invite when I started the game, and it was automagic,
Redfive

Post by Redfive »

Zenn7
El Guapo
stessier

Isgrimnur?
Redfive?
Bueller?
Yes, please.
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

Isgrimnur, you interested in the new game?
Black Lives Matter.
Zenn7

Post by Zenn7 »

Isgrimnur wrote: Wed May 20, 2020 12:25 pm You replaced El Guapo's invite when I started the game, and it was automagic,
Sorry Guap.

And whoever the US is, my first effort as Great Britain against the computer was not spectacular, only won because AI allies helped keep things alive until I could get back on track. I will endeavor to do better this time out.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

El Guapo wrote: Wed May 20, 2020 2:00 pm Isgrimnur, you interested in the new game?
Sure
NickAragua

Post by NickAragua »

I'll jump in if there's a spot open. I'll need to uh, buy the game I guess.
Black Lives Matter
Zenn7

Post by Zenn7 »

NickAragua wrote: Wed May 20, 2020 2:52 pm I'll jump in if there's a spot open. I'll need to uh, buy the game I guess.
Get it, do the learning to play tutorial (interface is a little not intuitive especially for transports).

We start games regularly and easy to have more than one running at a time. I think Guap and Isg are like me, we're good with up to 3 games at a time. Sounds like we have a slot, but even if we don't, we can start another game or will have one wrapped up with in a day or two so we can start a new one and add you.
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

Zenn7 wrote: Wed May 20, 2020 4:59 pm
NickAragua wrote: Wed May 20, 2020 2:52 pm I'll jump in if there's a spot open. I'll need to uh, buy the game I guess.
Get it, do the learning to play tutorial (interface is a little not intuitive especially for transports).

We start games regularly and easy to have more than one running at a time. I think Guap and Isg are like me, we're good with up to 3 games at a time. Sounds like we have a slot, but even if we don't, we can start another game or will have one wrapped up with in a day or two so we can start a new one and add you.
Yeah, I think this game is now full, but I'm currently at 0 (soon to be 1) games, so happy to start another one as well.

I'll try to start this game tonight; haven't started a game yet, so we'll see how that goes. Do I have all your Steam / username info?
Black Lives Matter.
Zenn7

Post by Zenn7 »

Zenn7 wrote: Wed May 20, 2020 2:31 pm
Isgrimnur wrote: Wed May 20, 2020 12:25 pm You replaced El Guapo's invite when I started the game, and it was automagic,
Sorry Guap.

And whoever the US is, my first effort as Great Britain against the computer was not spectacular, only won because AI allies helped keep things alive until I could get back on track. I will endeavor to do better this time out.
UK has gone. No loses, guess that's a good turn.
Redfive

Post by Redfive »

Anyone that wants to start a game and needs players can shoot me invites. I'll take them all and if it gets to be too much I'll speak up!
Zenn7

Post by Zenn7 »

raydude wrote: Tue May 19, 2020 9:54 pm Hey all, I'm going to take a break from this game for a bit. I need to calm down and play some relaxing single-player games like FF7 Remake and Outer Worlds. Isgrimnur, sorry but I have to decline your invite.
Raydude - hate to impose upon your break, but, you had started a game that you are playing as Russia, you're down to the 6 hour warning for your turn, then we can initiate kicking you, but that will take 24 more hours. The game will most likely be over after this turn with Axis victory, but we need you to take your turn so we can advance the game please.
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

Zenn7 wrote: Thu May 21, 2020 12:32 am
raydude wrote: Tue May 19, 2020 9:54 pm Hey all, I'm going to take a break from this game for a bit. I need to calm down and play some relaxing single-player games like FF7 Remake and Outer Worlds. Isgrimnur, sorry but I have to decline your invite.
Raydude - hate to impose upon your break, but, you had started a game that you are playing as Russia, you're down to the 6 hour warning for your turn, then we can initiate kicking you, but that will take 24 more hours. The game will most likely be over after this turn with Axis victory, but we need you to take your turn so we can advance the game please.
Or he could just forfeit and control of Russia would pass to another Allied player.
Black Lives Matter.