Police Reform in America

For discussion of religion and politics

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, $iljanus

Isgrimnur

Re: Police Reform in America

Post by Isgrimnur »

Good lord, did me reading this one out loud start shit with my family. My sister is married to a police officer and works at a university, and I got both barrels about her experiences.
It's almost as if people are the problem.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

None of the Cuba protesters who closed Miami highway cited under GOP-backed anti-rioting law
So weird. I wonder what the difference is between the Cuba protestors and the BLM protestors?
Maybe next year, maybe no go
Little Raven

Post by Little Raven »

Minneapolis continues to struggle.
Last summer, the path seemed clear. Just two weeks after Floyd's death, members of the Minneapolis City Council gathered at a rally in a park to pledge big structural changes.

JEREMIAH ELLISON: This council is going to dismantle this police department.

That was Council Member Jeremiah Ellison. These days, he's less absolute about this. He now defers to the voters and an expected ballot question on the future of policing this fall. It was promoted by a coalition of groups called Yes 4 Minneapolis.

The politics of dismantling the police department has become murkier as Minneapolis has become more dangerous. Homicides were up almost 50% in the first six months of the year compared to the same months last year.

Sondra Samuels sits on the back porch of her home in north Minneapolis, one of the Black neighborhoods that's been especially hard-hit by the violence.

SAMUELS: Of all the people shot in Minneapolis this year, 83% of the gun victims are Black. We only make up 20% of the city.

Samuels put some of the blame for this on a shortage of police officers. Since last year's protests, more than 200 of them have quit, retired or taken disability. And she says that's resulted in a sense of lawlessness. She says you notice it just driving around.

SAMUELS: I do not go at a green light. I wait until I make sure somebody's not careening through a red light. Because nobody stops at stop signs because it's like, nobody's coming - ain't nobody coming.
/. "She climbed backwards out her
\/ window into Outside Over There."
malchior

Post by malchior »

Police officer poses as defense attorney. It is being investigated but is in the 2000 investigation-year+ backlog of police misconduct investigations.
A Maricopa County Sheriff’s Office deputy is under investigation for allegedly posing as a defense attorney in a failed attempt to trick a woman and arrest her.

Andy Marcantel, a partner with the Attorneys for Freedom Law Firm, said that Deputy Jeff Miller pretended to be a lawyer at his firm on a phone call four months ago.

“I haven’t ever seen anything close to this,” Marcantel said. “My partners at the law firm who have been practicing for almost three decades have not seen anything like this. My ethics counsel, who was ethics counsel for the state of Arizona State Bar with decades of experience has never seen anything like this. This is crazy, totally outrageous.”

A sheriff’s office spokesperson declined to comment on the matter, saying they don’t discuss pending investigations.

Marcantel represents a minor in a criminal case. The boy’s mother had an outstanding warrant for failing to appear in a separate past case. [ABC15 is not naming the woman to protect her son's identity because the names of minors are confidential in criminal cases.]

The deputy is accused of calling the mother under the ruse to try and lure her to the law firm in order to arrest her. She didn’t fall for it.

Police officers can lie and deceive people during investigations. But impersonating a lawyer raises ethical and constitutional concerns because of legal protections like the attorney-client privilege.

In a statement, the State Bar of Arizona wrote, “No person may practice law in the State of Arizona or represent in any way that he or she may practice law in the State of Arizona unless that person is an active member of the state bar or is otherwise authorized to do so by the Rules of the Supreme Court of Arizona.”

Multiple other defense attorneys contacted by ABC15 were appalled by the allegation and said they had never heard of police posing as a lawyer.

Marcantel said his law firm filed a complaint with MCSO several months ago. He said sheriff’s office investigators recently told his staff they are too busy to get it to right now.

After a MCSO spokesperson initially declined to comment, ABC15 asked the sheriff’s office to reconsider because of the nature of the allegations.

The office sent the following response.

“Consistent with every other investigation, MCSO does not comment on pending litigation/investigation. Once the investigation is completed you are free to reach out again with any questions you may have,” wrote Sgt. Monica Bretado.

The sheriff’s office has a massive backlog of internal investigations, court records show. As of January 2021, there were more than 2,000 misconduct cases outstanding.

The average time to complete an internal probe was roughly 500 days.
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

Well, this is terrible.

Short version: Police use system called ShotSpotter which uses AI and a network of microphones to identify the location of gunshots. ShotSpotter reports are used as evidence to prove someone's guilt in court. Problem is, cops have been manually altering the ShotSpotter reports to change their location and type of explosion (i.e. reclassifying from "firework" to "gunshot").
When darkness veils the world, four Warriors of Light shall come.
malchior

Post by malchior »

Absolutely unacceptable. It drives me crazy that the prosecutors can just withdraw the charges and the fact that they were framing a man is swept under the rug.
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

Grand Jury indictment is in for the Elijah McClain killing.

I'm sure this will help things.

Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

I'm sure no one will be surprised that the destruction of email records is not only normal, but encouraged:
Minnesota State Patrol officers conducted a mass purge of e-mails and text messages immediately after their response to riots last summer, leaving holes in their paper trail as the courts and other investigators attempt to reconstruct whether law enforcement used improper force in the chaos following George Floyd's murder.

"The purge was neither accidental, automated, nor routine," said ACLU attorneys, in a court motion that asks a judge to order the State Patrol to cease attacks on journalists who are covering protests. "The purge did not happen because of a file destruction or retention policy. No one reviewed the purged communications before they were deleted to determine whether the materials were relevant to this litigation."

In the July 28 hearing, Dwyer said troopers were not acting on orders from on high to delete records, but it's "standard practice" for troopers to do so.

"You just decided, shortly after the George Floyd protests, this would be a good time to clean out my inbox?" asked ACLU attorney Kevin Riach.

Dwyer answered in the affirmative.

He said it's up to each individual on when they want to delete these records, and it's a "recommended practice" to purge after a major event.

"Are you required to keep e-mail correspondence for a certain period of time?" asked Riach.

"We are not," said Dwyer.
malchior

Post by malchior »

Emails in many states are public records. And their retention is set in most states. I guess not in Minnesota. Wait until the fascists are in charge. We ain't seen anything yet.

Edit: Wait a sec - just read the article and they have one. So it's just lawlessness. Whatever. Keep preparing folks. The whole piece is a warning what the future holds for us. It's pretty fucking grim.
The State Patrol is required to make and keep records of official activity — including text messages and e-mails — per Minnesota data law, said Don Gemberling, spokesman for nonprofit Minnesota Coalition on Government Information. They can only delete them under a schedule approved by a state records retention panel. The Star Tribune asked Gordon of the State Patrol for this schedule policy, but he did not provide one.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Fox, henhouse. You don't leave someone in charge of the evidence against themselves. If you want accountability, you have the records backed up to a neutral third party on a regular basis.
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)
malchior

Post by malchior »

We'd hate to have morale tank for the police who refuse to stop white supremacy. :roll:

Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

I thought we didn't negotiate with terrorists?
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

The circle of cop life
(sorry, I'm catching up on things from a few days ago)
Little Raven

Post by Little Raven »

L.A. Decides to Refund Police.
Amid a budget crisis late last year, the city considered laying off nearly 1,000 officers. But as crime rose and federal pandemic relief funds came in, the mayor increased the Los Angeles Police Department’s (LAPD) budget 3% in April. And the new head of the civilian oversight board said last month that the city needed more officers amid a surge in homicides.

Garcetti struck a careful balance in his April State of the City speech, touting expanded gang intervention and mental health programs, a guaranteed basic income pilot and $1 billion for homelessness.

“If you want to abolish the police, you’re talking to the wrong mayor,” he said. “If you want to move backward toward a failed us-and-them strategy … you’ve come to the wrong place.”
AWS260

Post by AWS260 »

malchior wrote: Fri Jul 17, 2020 5:05 pm
The FBI just raided this guy's home and the New York SBA headquarters.

Gee, I'm shocked.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Mullins, a police sergeant detached to full-time union work, is in the middle of department disciplinary proceedings for tweeting NYPD paperwork last year regarding the arrest of Mayor Bill de Blasio’s daughter during protests over the Minneapolis police killing of George Floyd.
malchior

Post by malchior »

I'm expecting this to be a financial crime. Always bet on grift.
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

malchior wrote: Tue Oct 05, 2021 3:30 pm I'm expecting this to be a financial crime. Always bet on grift.
Um, yeah:

"police sergeant detached to full-time union work"
:lol:

Though 1/6 shit wouldn't surprise me.
" Hey OP, listen to my advice alright." -Tha General
"No scientific discovery is named after its original discoverer." -Stigler's Law of Eponymy, discovered by Robert K. Merton

MYT
malchior

Post by malchior »

Oh look. Police criming last year. They open fire on people in a drive by. They seem to take return fire from somewhere and then run up to some guy and start kicking him in the face while he is clearly surrendered. That person was rung up on 8 bullshit felony charges, offered a plea of 13 years, took it to trial , and was cleared of all charges btw. You can't fix this with training. Especially since it resulted in no discipline much less the felony charges they deserve.

Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

If you're standing in a parking lot, and unmarked vehicle pulls up, and people inside start shooting at you, I can understand returning fire. It isn't the smart thing to do (the smart thing is to find cover), but it's understandable.

I don't know why that guy was standing there armed or what his intentions were, but just from that footage I can understand his reaction. (As an aside, the victim was pretty clear-headed. He reacted well enough to return fire with some degree of accuracy - which isn't easy when you're moving and think you're being fired on - and then when he recognized what had happened, he reacted exactly the right way - immediately dropping the weapon and surrendering. I wonder if he had military experience.)

And what happened after he fired was beyond the pale.
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

Yeah, that's a series of people who need to be in jail.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Yep. Jaleel Stallings, a Black man, and an Army veteran.
malchior

Post by malchior »

More detail. Pure thuggery.
At 17th Avenue and Lake Street, around 10 p.m., the SWAT team saw a group of people outside the Stop-N-Shop gas station. Bittell told the driver to head toward the station and said, “Let ’em have it boys!”

“Right there, get ’em, get ’em, get ’em, hit ’em, hit ’em!” he ordered as the officers fired their plastic bullet launchers without warning. They later learned they were shooting at the gas station owner, neighbors and relatives guarding the station from more looting, as well as bystanders, including a Vice News reporter who had his hands up and was yelling, “Press!”

A SWAT team member pushed the reporter to the ground, and as he lay there, with his press card up, another officer pepper sprayed him in the face.

About an hour later, three blocks to the west, they opened the sliding door of the van and began firing plastic rounds at people in a parking lot.

They hit Jaleel K. Stallings, 29, a St. Paul truck driver, who says he didn’t know they were cops because they were inside an unmarked white cargo van with the police lights off. He thought they were real bullets. And, he says he was mindful of warnings earlier that day from no less than Gov. Tim Walz that white supremacists were roaming the city looking for trouble.

Stallings, an Army veteran, returned fire with his mini Draco pistol, for which he had a permit. He aimed low, toward the front of the van, and didn’t hit anyone. When the SWAT team jumped out of the van yelling, “Shots fired!” Stallings realized they were police. So he dropped his weapon and lay face down on the pavement, according to court documents.

His eye socket was fractured in the beating that followed, with officers later claiming he resisted arrest.

A Hennepin County jury recently acquitted Stallings of all charges after he was allowed by a judge to claim self-defense.
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

Zaxxon wrote: Fri Oct 08, 2021 4:36 pm Yeah, that's a series of people who need to be in jail.
^^^^^
!!!!!!
Grifman

Post by Grifman »

Good old boys, racism and a new black police chief in Little Rock:

https://theintercept.com/2021/12/18/lit ... -humphrey/
Tolerance is the virtue of the man without convictions. – G.K. Chesterton
Grifman

Post by Grifman »

malchior

Post by malchior »

It's almost like experts have been warning us for years that US law enforcement and the military is infested with white nationalists. But what do they know?

Edit: It is also ironic that his involvement came out of the FBI at one point taking this problem very seriously. "Conveniently" they wandered off track as the problem got worse and worse.
Little Raven

Post by Little Raven »

Kim Potter found guilty.
Jurors on Thursday convicted a suburban Minneapolis police officer of two manslaughter charges in the killing of Daunte Wright, a Black motorist she shot during a traffic stop after she said she confused her gun for her Taser.

The mostly white jury deliberated for about four days before finding former Brooklyn Center officer Kim Potter guilty of first-degree and second-degree manslaughter. Potter, 49, faces about seven years in prison on the most serious count under the state's sentencing guidelines, but prosecutors said they would seek a longer term.

Judge Regina Chu ordered Potter taken into custody and held without bail and scheduled her to be sentenced on Feb. 18.
Grifman

Post by Grifman »

Little Raven wrote: Thu Dec 23, 2021 7:39 pm Kim Potter found guilty.
Jurors on Thursday convicted a suburban Minneapolis police officer of two manslaughter charges in the killing of Daunte Wright, a Black motorist she shot during a traffic stop after she said she confused her gun for her Taser.

The mostly white jury deliberated for about four days before finding former Brooklyn Center officer Kim Potter guilty of first-degree and second-degree manslaughter. Potter, 49, faces about seven years in prison on the most serious count under the state's sentencing guidelines, but prosecutors said they would seek a longer term.

Judge Regina Chu ordered Potter taken into custody and held without bail and scheduled her to be sentenced on Feb. 18.
This may be unpopular here but I have struggled reading about this case, and I could not have convicted her - at least of first degree manslaughter. It clearly was an accident, Potter called "Taser" and was in shock and horrified at what she had done immediately after she realized she had shot him. In addition, it would have never happened if the victim had not resisted arrest. In trying to get back in his car, he presented a danger to the officers if he had tried to drive off with them trying to get him out. Regardless how you come down on this, it's a terrible tragedy all the way around.

There are any number of police shootings that I would have convicted officers (like Philandro Castile for example) but not in this case.
Combustible Lemur

Post by Combustible Lemur »

Grifman wrote:

This may be unpopular here but I have struggled reading about this case, and I could not have convicted her - at least of first degree manslaughter. It clearly was an accident, Potter called "Taser" and was in shock and horrified at what she had done immediately after she realized she had shot him. In addition, it would have never happened if the victim had not resisted arrest. In trying to get back in his car, he presented a danger to the officers if he had tried to drive off with them trying to get him out. Regardless how you come down on this, it's a terrible tragedy all the way around.

There are any number of police shootings that I would have convicted officers (like Philandro Castile for example) but not in this case.
A legal pundit I listened to today framed it as if she had come out with mea culpa and only asked forgiveness for a terrible tragedy that she caused it would have been really hard for a conviction. But the defense strategy of throwing repeated shade at the deceased, saying she didn't fuck up, and her own testimony having contradictory elements put enough doubt on whether she had not just negligently created a deadly situation that it resulted in her conviction.

Not a lot of police get convicted of anything. What made this on across the line?

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

Is Scott home? thump thump thump Crash ......No.
Little Raven

Post by Little Raven »

Combustible Lemur wrote: Fri Dec 24, 2021 12:26 amNot a lot of police get convicted of anything. What made this on across the line?
Timing.
gbasden

Post by gbasden »

Yeah, of all of the egregious police misconduct cases we've seen this is not the one that I would have thought would have ended in a conviction. I think her defense strategy was awful, but this seems overly punitive to me.
Grifman

Post by Grifman »

Little Raven wrote: Fri Dec 24, 2021 1:03 am
Combustible Lemur wrote: Fri Dec 24, 2021 12:26 amNot a lot of police get convicted of anything. What made this on across the line?
Timing.
Yes, I think she is a symbol and a sacrificial lamb, and is taking the punishment a number of other officers should have received. Even worse, in my eyes, the prosecutor is going to ask for a heavier than normal sentence. What did she do to warrant this? There as nothing egregious or malicious in her conduct. It seems vindictive to me.
malchior

Post by malchior »

Grifman wrote: Fri Dec 24, 2021 1:54 pm
Little Raven wrote: Fri Dec 24, 2021 1:03 am
Timing.
Yes, I think she is a symbol and a sacrificial lamb, and is taking the punishment a number of other officers should have received. Even worse, in my eyes, the prosecutor is going to ask for a heavier than normal sentence. What did she do to warrant this? There as nothing egregious or malicious in her conduct. It seems vindictive to me.
It'll also probably be overturned. Every lawsplainer I've seen said the case doesn't work as the law is written. We'll see but it isn't over yet.

As to the sentence being 'too harsh'? I don't know. If this stands up, the argument why she deserves harsher treatment is pretty compelling. When she made her mistake she pivoted to protecting *herself* immediately. She delayed and effectively prevented treatment of Wright. She monopolized people's time while he was bleeding out. So yes she made a terrible mistake but she also did everything she could to make sure that he had no chance once that mistake was made. And when she took the stand in her own defense she had no answers to explain her conduct. She ended up looking extremely selfish (and might have been the real factor vs. timing). And the recording of the events was really bad. I recommend people watch her testimony and the video before saying she is some victim of overreaction. She is no angel in this situation.
Little Raven

Post by Little Raven »

I admire Cori's principles. I fear the probable outcome.
Grifman

Post by Grifman »

Gangs of LA:

“At least four “secret cliques or gangs” of sheriff’s deputies — with names like the Banditos and the Executioners — continue to operate and recruit within the L.A. County Sheriff’s Department, despite recent reforms intended to ban them. The persistence of illicit factions is described in a new report commissioned by L.A. County that rebukes a department that “either can’t or won’t” manage a problem that is undermining the legitimacy of the law enforcement agency, and has cost local taxpayers tens of millions of dollars to settle claims of recklessness, violence, and harassment.”
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

CNN
Kim Potter, the former Minnesota police officer who mistakenly drew a gun instead of a Taser and fatally shot Daunte Wright during a traffic stop, was sentenced on Friday to 2 years in prison.

The sentence comes nearly two months after Potter was convicted of first- and second-degree manslaughter. Prosecutors had requested 7 years and 2 months while Potter's attorneys argued for a lesser sentence, pointing to her lack of a prior criminal history and remorse for Wright's death.

Potter will be required to serve two-thirds of her sentence in prison, or 16 months, according to state law. With good behavior, she will be eligible for supervised release for the remaining third.
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

Remorse is such a BS criteria. Every criminal expresses remorse, unless they are a Berkowitz or something.
Jaymann
]==(:::::::::::::>
Black Lives Matter
stessier

Post by stessier »

Jaymann wrote: Fri Feb 18, 2022 1:53 pm Remorse is such a BS criteria. Every criminal expresses remorse, unless they are a Berkowitz or something.
I don't know - I think allowing a judge to ascertain that isn't the worst part of the system.
I require a reminder as to why raining arcane destruction is not an appropriate response to all of life's indignities. - Vaarsuvius
Global Steam Wishmaslist Tracking
Running____2014: 1300.55 miles____2015: 2036.13 miles____2016: 1012.75 miles____2017: 1105.82 miles____2018: 1318.91 miles__2019: 2000.00 miles
malchior

Post by malchior »

stessier wrote: Fri Feb 18, 2022 2:37 pm
Jaymann wrote: Fri Feb 18, 2022 1:53 pm Remorse is such a BS criteria. Every criminal expresses remorse, unless they are a Berkowitz or something.
I don't know - I think allowing a judge to ascertain that isn't the worst part of the system.
Yeah judges have a front row seat to all legal proceeding from top to bottom. They aren't perfect but they are positioned the best to do this. Also to your point this isn't something that many folks complain about with the system.