Far Cry 6

If it's a video game it goes here.

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, Arcanis, $iljanus

Max Peck

Re: Far Cry 6

Post by Max Peck »

It's the Danny and Dani Show!

Enlarge Image

Apparently the first part of the Danny Trejo DLC scheduled for next month was accidentally released this week. It is currently still active on the PC version, but they will be patching it out Soon™.
"What? What? What?" -- The 14th Doctor

It's not enough to be a good player... you also have to play well. -- Siegbert Tarrasch
Max Peck

Post by Max Peck »

I finished up the main story tonight, just in time to cancel my Ubisoft+ subscription before it renewed tomorrow.

It's not enough to be a good player... you also have to play well. -- Siegbert Tarrasch
Gryndyl

Post by Gryndyl »

Max Peck wrote: Tue Nov 02, 2021 7:10 pm It's the Danny and Dani Show!

Enlarge Image

Apparently the first part of the Danny Trejo DLC scheduled for next month was accidentally released this week. It is currently still active on the PC version, but they will be patching it out Soon™.
Ah, that cleared up a mystery for me. I got the briefing for that mission and put it off because it was in a higher level area than I was in at the time. And then I never came across it again. Was starting to think that I'd somehow managed to do the mission without recognizing Trejo in it.

I also finished up just in time to cancel my uplay before it charged again :mrgreen:
Max Peck

Post by Max Peck »

I enjoyed my time with the game enough that I'll probably resub for a month once all the DLC has been released so that I can check it out.

jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

Far Cry 6 Documentary Out Now on gTV
A new documentary from gTV pulls back the curtain on Far Cry 6 to reveal how the team at Ubisoft Toronto rallied together to bring their vision of the game to life. “Revolución: A Far Cry Story” tells the personal stories of the people who created Far Cry 6 and features behind-the-scenes footage of developers and actors, including Giancarlo Esposito bringing the ruthless dictator Antón Castillo to life. The documentary is available now on gTV YouTube channels worldwide.
Link is in the article.
My father said that anything is interesting if you bother to read about it - Michael C. Harrold
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Picked it up for about half off during an xbox sale. Started playing this past weekend. I'm about 3 hours in and I'm still not entirely clear on how gear works in regards to new skills, etc.. I'm also not seeing how stealth is a real option considering they took away the ubiquitous rocks from previous games in the series and replaced them with 8 baseballs....that don't seem to attract anyone who isn't right beside you anyway.

Also, not sure I like hunting in this game as you no longer have to actually cut the animals up to get hides and meat. You just run across them like a Super Mario power up now. I also hope they eventually give me back the ability to use meat as bait to draw animals to a location I throw them to. That was one of my favorite stealth moves in all the other games.

I'll keep playing, but I already miss the previous games.
Covfefe!
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

hepcat wrote: Mon Jan 03, 2022 2:27 pm I'll keep playing, but I already miss the previous games.
Yeah, I've kept at it after stopping a few times but have finally given up after thirty hours. It just doesn't feel immersive. The story doesn't grab me and as someone said above, it's like being in an eighties action movie. The animal pals and the multiple backpack options got old pretty quick. There's a lot of cheese in the game.

The gear business is annoying. Different gear give modifiers to defense against certain types of attacks, or assists to certain bullet types, or some other assists. So each time you get ready to attack an outpost or base you need to equip an anti-personnel weapon in one slot, an anti-armor in another, a blast type in yet another, and maybe a silent pistol in the sidearm slot. And so you have to trick out different guns with different mods to focus their attack to a certain type, and then remember which is which. Also with the non-weapon gear, you need to mix and match the helmet, jacket, pants, etc so they help you against certain attacks you might expect or assist in making certain attacks. It is all rather tiresome.

I've gone back to Ghost Recon Breakpoint with the Ghost Experience active so I can skip all that gear nonsense.
My father said that anything is interesting if you bother to read about it - Michael C. Harrold
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

jztemple2 wrote: Mon Jan 03, 2022 2:43 pm The gear business is annoying. Different gear give modifiers to defense against certain types of attacks, or assists to certain bullet types, or some other assists. So each time you get ready to attack an outpost or base you need to equip an anti-personnel weapon in one slot, an anti-armor in another, a blast type in yet another, and maybe a silent pistol in the sidearm slot. And so you have to trick out different guns with different mods to focus their attack to a certain type, and then remember which is which. Also with the non-weapon gear, you need to mix and match the helmet, jacket, pants, etc so they help you against certain attacks you might expect or assist in making certain attacks. It is all rather tiresome.
You say "need" several times in that paragraph. There are like two times in the entire game where that word actually applies. Once to fire resist gear and once to I think it was poison resist or something like that. You can spend lots of time messing with gear, or next to no time messing with gear. I chose the latter, mostly just using whatever I thought looked cool most of the time.

For hepcat, I found stealth to be completely viable in most situations. Now, I almost never use the throw a rock as a distraction thing in any game so I didn't really miss it here. That could make a big difference. I guess it's just a better fit for my play style.

My biggest complaint is that it's more of the same and has too much of the Just Cause over the top silliness.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

The rock from Far Cry games and the whistle from Assassin's Creed games are the two things I think I use most in those games. :D

I like to draw them near and then leave a huge pile of dead bodies in a shrub.
Last edited by hepcat on Mon Jan 03, 2022 3:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Covfefe!
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

coopasonic wrote: Fri Oct 08, 2021 12:18 pm As a bonus, it doesn't really feel well suited to stealthy play either which is how I've always played Far Cry.
Quoting my earlier self, just to expose the hypocrisy. Stealth wasn't great in the early game. You get better (quieter, higher damage) tools later that improve this factor.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

hepcat wrote: Mon Jan 03, 2022 3:27 pm The rock from Far Cry games and the whistle from Assassin's Creed games are the two things I think I use most in those games. :D

I like to draw them near and then leave a huge pile of dead bodies in a shrub.
The whistle I like. The rock I always found a bit clunky.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

coopasonic wrote: Mon Jan 03, 2022 3:25 pm You say "need" several times in that paragraph. There are like two times in the entire game where that word actually applies. Once to fire resist gear and once to I think it was poison resist or something like that. You can spend lots of time messing with gear, or next to no time messing with gear. I chose the latter, mostly just using whatever I thought looked cool most of the time.
You're right of course, you don't really "need' to optimize gear like that. I shouldn't have used "need" in that paragraph as a description of gameplay, but as a description of how to use gear. I just find that it feels defeating when the devs put in some effort for the gear system and it is so cumbersome that one doesn't bother to use it. A lot of the game feels that way, like the rebel missions you select and assign a leader to. While you do get resources, the feature feels tacked on.
coopasonic wrote: Mon Jan 03, 2022 3:25 pm My biggest complaint is that it's more of the same and has too much of the Just Cause over the top silliness.
I agree with the Just Cause comparison, the game feels silly at times. I really liked FC2 and FC3, I think they used the formula of being a lone wolf battling against oppressors pretty well. FC4 added some nice mechanics and items like the autogyro but I tended to not care that much about the story. And I think FC5 was a letdown.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

I've enjoyed every single Far Cry game (for different reasons), but mainly because of the nonstop amusement associated with eliminating enemies. You all have me questioning whether or not I'd like this at 50% off!
Maybe next year, maybe no go
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

It’s a bigger change than I expected. But I just started it. If I can still lob raw meat into the middle of an enemy base then snipe everyone who runs away from the beast that inexplicably appear 2 seconds later to attack anyone wearing shoes, I’m sure I’ll enjoy it.

Having written that, I suspect I should be in therapy.

I did enjoy watching an enemy soldier barrel ass into his camp in a Jeep and kill one of his own compatriots in the process. He then jumped out of said vehicle and proceeded to search for the person who just killed the guy he’d hit (i.e. himself) while screaming “We got something here!”.
Covfefe!
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

If he didn't shoot himself its all wasted effort.
--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"
Scraper

Post by Scraper »

Smoove_B wrote: Mon Jan 03, 2022 6:46 pm I've enjoyed every single Far Cry game (for different reasons), but mainly because of the nonstop amusement associated with eliminating enemies. You all have me questioning whether or not I'd like this at 50% off!
I really enjoyed 3-4-5, New Dawn and even Primal. I rank 6 below all of them, BUT it's worth a play through at 50% off. It's still an above average open world game, it's just that the design decisions they made really took away from what I've come to expect from a Far Cry game. Tying abilities and bonuses to gear is just a huge step back words.
FTE
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Yeah, the gear thing is needlessly fiddly so far.
Covfefe!
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

90% of my enjoyment in the Far Cry games is exploring the map. As long as there is a ton of stuff to see and random enemy caps to surgically strike, I would likely be happy. My least favorite moments are the bizarre drug-induced hallucination missions they seem to incorporate in every game.
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

Smoove_B wrote: Tue Jan 04, 2022 12:58 pm 90% of my enjoyment in the Far Cry games is exploring the map. As long as there is a ton of stuff to see and random enemy caps to surgically strike, I would likely be happy. My least favorite moments are the bizarre drug-induced hallucination missions they seem to incorporate in every game.
Not a whisper of that in this game. Well, actually you get *really* drunk a couple times but nothing like 5. Not nearly so mystical as what appeared in previous games.

Definitely a lot to do in the maps though it can get pretty repetitive, and I say this as someone that can clear forts/outposts for days in AC without a complaint.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

I tried clearing out a fort yesterday and it never turned over to me. Is there a way to tell if you can actually take over a fort or other installation? I know checkpoints are all up for grabs.
Covfefe!
Cylus Maxii

Post by Cylus Maxii »

Some locations can't be cleared out until a plot mission come s up. Som cannot ever be cleared because they don't seem to be part of the possession mechanic.
My nephew, Jake - "I mean is there really anything more pure? Than sweet zombie monkey love?"
Max Peck

Post by Max Peck »

Smoove_B wrote: Tue Jan 04, 2022 12:58 pm 90% of my enjoyment in the Far Cry games is exploring the map. As long as there is a ton of stuff to see and random enemy caps to surgically strike, I would likely be happy. My least favorite moments are the bizarre drug-induced hallucination missions they seem to incorporate in every game.
I enjoyed it. Like the previous Far Cry games, it does have story beats that I feel go a little too far in removing player agency but they aren't wrapped in weird drugged-out hallucinations like some of the previous games, and since they're part of the Far Cry formula I just gritted my teeth, watched the cut scenes and carried on after they were over.

I believe it's been mentioned before, but the easiest way to see if you'll like it is to subscribe to Ubisoft+ for a month and just play it. You get complete access to the entire Ubisoft library while the sub is active, so you can easily get plenty of entertainment value for your money even if you decide that one particular game doesn't do it for you.

hepcat

Post by hepcat »

I miss being able to pick up guns from fallen enemies. It wasn't always necessary, but it was a nice way to get hold of a weapon you wanted (sniper rifle, for example) before the game gives you access to them.

I played for a couple of hours again last night and ended up getting mostly annoyed by having to switch weapons with every enemy type. Wearing armor? Need to switch to new weapon. Not wearing armor? Same. I miss just being able to switch ammo type on the fly.

Overall it's still too early to tell if this one is a massive dud for me, or if I'll grow used to the new game paradigm. But I really am missing many of the game's hallmark features right now.
Covfefe!
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Okay, I've put in a LOT of hours with this one the last couple of weeks. And I'm finally getting used to the weapon upgrade mechanic. It isn't that bad after a while, and it feels like a Far Cry game at this point.

A few things I've come to love:

1) The game ups the security of regions as you level up/reach milestones. So all those regions I was afraid I was going to level out of in terms of challenge are keeping pace after a while.

2) It's significantly harder to take a base now than in previous Far Cry games. Before, I'd just perch on a hillside and snipe, while hurling bait into the middle of the base to draw folks out. Now the layout of military bases makes that almost impossible in most cases. And alarms aren't always out in the open, allowing me to hit them from my spot outside the base. They're often inside other buildings. So disabling THOSE are also harder now.

However, I'm enamored of sniping with poison rounds and then letting the victims attack their buddies. This may be my favorite thing about Far Cry 6.

Oh, and taking an oil platform last night was an hour of tense, nail biting cat and mouse. :wub:

3) I love having to take out air defense before I can fly over areas. It adds another dimension to clearing out a region.

4) The map is huge. I've spent about 10 hours in about a 6th of the map, I think. And I'm still not done there. But I can travel to other regions any time. They just may have higher security and thus be more difficult to survive in.

5) Air vehicles are just as good as previous entries in the franchise...and it appears they have quite a few more kinds.

6) No snakes! ...so far

Things that could use work:

1) The Supremo just seems too over the top for a series that has always embraced being over the top...but not as over the top as the Just Cause series.

2) I think they have like 3 face models for the women characters. I've talked to the same female arms dealer in about 40 locations at this point.

3) Grappling is less prevalent. I used to be able to find at least one climbing location on a cliff face if I looked. But now I rarely see them. And they seem to be mostly mission based.

4) The upgrade mechanic still isn't as good as the previous games RPG style one. I've grown used to it, like I said. But I still prefer the older method. I will say it makes it interesting when trying to figure out what loadout to use on a mission....but as Coop pointed out earlier, that's also a negative as it can get fiddly and overly complicated.

5) Taking out a tank went from near impossible to child's play with the introduction of EMP grenades, supremos, bullets and arrows.

I'm enjoying myself, however. The appearance of
Spoiler:
Danny Trejo
actually made me laugh.
Covfefe!
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

hepcat wrote: Thu Jan 13, 2022 11:51 am 3) Grappling is less prevalent. I used to be able to find at least one climbing location on a cliff face if I looked. But now I rarely see them. And they seem to be mostly mission based.
I think it was FC4 that was the best example of using grappling.

Now you're making me think I ought to pick up FC6 again and put some more time in it :roll:
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

I'm enjoying it quite a bit now, in spite of the issues I listed. The increased challenge in taking a base is a big plus as I didn't realize in previous iterations how I'd reduced it to just a formula that I used without change.
Covfefe!
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Would those that own Far Cry 6 say its as good as Far Cry 5 but worse than 4 or 3?
Little Raven

Post by Little Raven »

My ranking of Far Cry games (based on dozens of hours in all but 1)

8: Far Cry 1 - had a great engine, that's about it. Not worth picking up today.
7: Far Cry 3 - This game defined the modern Far Cry, and it's still....fine....but it has horrible pacing and every Far Cry game since has improved on it.
6: Far Cry Primal - There's nothing bad about this game, it's just not my cup of tea.
5: Far Cry Blood Dragon - Let's be clear, this game is AWESOME. Like, 10/10, would do again. But it's also super short - which is for the best, the shine would wear off quickly.
4: Far Cry 2 - Yes, yes, I know, there was a whole bunch about this game that didn't work. Like, a LOT. But god damn was it ambitious, and it's honestly produced some of the best emergent gameplay I've ever experienced. Plus, I love love love the actual paper maps.
3: Far Cry 5 - This is a very good game, but the silent protagonist just KILLS me. I lose SOOOO much immersion that way. And far too little Willis.
2: Far Cry 6 - Pretty much everything good from 5, but they fix the whole silent protagonist problem.
1: Far Cry 4 - 6 comes close, but cannot quite topple this. It's damn near perfect. Great setting, great villains, great drug sequences. Great characters, great callbacks, and in true Far Cry fashion, everything you do just makes things worse. :wub: It's magnific - so magnific.
/. "She climbed backwards out her
\/ window into Outside Over There."
naednek

Post by naednek »

free weekend. And half off. I bought it. Liked what I saw, seemed more interesting than the religious one.
hepcat - "I agree with Naednek"
Max Peck

Post by Max Peck »

Another free weekend has started, and all versions of the game are on sale at 60% off.

And I completely missed this old news until today:

YellowKing

Post by YellowKing »

Finished this last night, so my streak of completing Far Cry games is still going. :horse:

Despite a sluggish start, I finally warmed up to this one quite a bit. I still didn't particularly like the setting/storyline, but the gameplay was fun enough to keep me engaged. Overall, however it still felt a lot like the "off years" of other Ubisoft games where they just make incremental improvements.

I didn't particularly care for the Resolver weapon system. Other than the firework shooting thing (before I got a rocket launcher) and the flamethrower (when mission required burning stuff), I don't think I ever used a single one of them. The backpack thing was OK for the special ability, but I never felt like I needed to utilize the vast number of options they gave for workshopping weapons. Once I found one that I liked, I just used it the rest of the game.

Gear was somewhat the same way - I'd occasionally get a piece I liked better than the previous, but I never felt a real sense of progression or getting stronger despite enemies getting tougher as you went along. I was playing on normal, so maybe that changes if you bump the difficulty up.

I'm still a bit iffy on the recent feature of gaining knowledge of locations by rescuing hostages/talking to NPCs. While it worked OK in terms of overall progression, I'm the type who just wants to clear everything. Not being able to get all those locations revealed without talking to 30 different NPCs was a bit annoying to me. And yes, I know climbing up radio towers to reveal the map is probably just as annoying, so I don't know that I have a better suggestion.

So, had a fun time with it. But the series has yet to surpass Far Cry 4, IMO. Hoping the next game shakes things up a bit.
stimpy

Post by stimpy »

Finally getting over my Elden Ring gaming burnout, so I'm thinking Far Cry 4 is next.
Tried to get Divinity Original Sin 2 going, but not really pulling me in.
He/Him/His/Porcupine
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

YellowKing wrote: Thu Aug 25, 2022 1:59 pm So, had a fun time with it. But the series has yet to surpass Far Cry 4, IMO. Hoping the next game shakes things up a bit.
Yes. This continues to be the high-water mark for me. The Buzzer alone made it one of the greatest games (for me) in terms of exploration. I enjoyed 5, but not as much. I finished 6 but like you didn't really get into the whole weapon building thing and just focused on missions. I had similar disappointment with AC: Valhalla. I had to stop playing after ~25 hours. Not only wasn't I interested in anything happening, but the game was crashing quite a bit. I didn't have it happen as much with Far Cry 6, but it did give me a few CTD issues.

Add me to the camp of people that thinks they've milked these games for far too long.
Octavious

Post by Octavious »

I wish someone would hire them to build worlds and then put a game around it. They are freaking amazing at building things and then slap boring ass checklist missions all over the place. I always burn out on pretty much all their games because of this. :doh: I really should go back to Far Cry 4 though as I remember really digging that one. 6 I played for like a couple of hours and said MEH and didn't want to push on.
Capitalism tries for a delicate balance: It attempts to work things out so that everyone gets just enough stuff to keep them from getting violent and trying to take other people’s stuff.

Shameless plug for my website: www.nettphoto.com
YellowKing

Post by YellowKing »

Smoove_B wrote:I had similar disappointment with AC: Valhalla. I had to stop playing after ~25 hours.
That one was a disappointment for me as well, because I was on a good streak having finished (and really enjoyed) Origins and Odyssey. I did like quite a few things about Valhalla, but ultimately it got tedious for me in a way the previous two games had not.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Id rank FC games..without 6 since I dont have it...

FC4
FC3
FC5
FC
FC2

I love FC 1 though a bit more but its a totally different game.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

stimpy wrote: Thu Aug 25, 2022 2:54 pm Finally getting over my Elden Ring gaming burnout, so I'm thinking Far Cry 4 is next.
Tried to get Divinity Original Sin 2 going, but not really pulling me in.
DoS2 is all about the turn based combat. I friggin’ loved DoS1 and 2 because I could sit there for hours trying to figure out how to lure enemies into firetraps, or the best way to sneak up behind someone. But it’s definitely not a game for people who prefer run and gun games.
Covfefe!
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

As I posted controls are annoying in this one. No idea why they changed them. They have interact and loot and such on different keys. Why cant as always I use my middle mouse for all those actions? Sigh.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Was doing some fishing at night before leaving my starting island. FINALLY back to a game with lots of water that you can actually FISH in. I hate it when a game is filled with water and theres no ability to simply stop and fish. I use it between big firefights to chill or rest and calm. Im glad FC6 has it.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

In Primal, fish hunt you!
It's almost as if people are the problem.