Warhammer 40k: Darktide

If it's a video game it goes here.

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, Arcanis, $iljanus

Blackhawk

Warhammer 40k: Darktide

Post by Blackhawk »

Just announced. It's Vermintide set in the 40k universe.

I'm iffy. I loved Vermintide 1 & 2, but there are so many grim shooters based on the Left 4 Dead gameplay model. The thing I really liked about Vermintide was that it took the gameplay and gave it a fresh genre.
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)
McNutt

Re: Warhammer 40k: Darktide

Post by McNutt »

I loved Vermintide 2 enough that I'll buy this the day it comes out in the hopes they can capture that same magic. I do hope it's not too dark and grim though. I bought the latest Doom game and absolutely hate it because of that.
Lordnine

Post by Lordnine »

A little odd they would use Chaos and not Nids for this. I'm interested purely because I prefer 40k to fantasy but I wasn't that big of fan of Vermintide.
Kasey Chang

Post by Kasey Chang »

I tried Vermintide twice, decided I didn't like it that much.

I may give Darktide a try. Who knows, maybe they'll add the Tyranids as a DLC. :D
My game FAQs | Playing: She Will Punish Them, Sunrider: Mask of Arcadius, The Outer Worlds
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

McNutt wrote: Fri Jul 24, 2020 12:14 pm I do hope it's not too dark and grim though. I bought the latest Doom game and absolutely hate it because of that.
It's Warhammer 40k. It's the grimmest and darkest already.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

This launched today

--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

I was given this by a friend for Christmas, and have played a number of sessions. For context, I have 169 hours in Vermintide, and 170 in Vermintide 2 (this is basically Vermintide In Space by the same company.) Here's my recommendation:

Avoid like the plague. In six months or a year, if Fatshark* makes a real, honest effort, this will be a good game.
*or as my son calls them, Fartshart.

1. It is completely unbalanced. Some random combinations of random factors can be unwinnable.
2. Bugs. As in, "This place crawls sir!" And then it crashes.
3. The game feels bad. The controls feel bad. The mechanics feel bad. The melee feels bad. The shooting feels bad.
4. No solo for all intents and purposes. Vermintide 1 and 2 let you play solo with bots, and in V2 those bots were your other characters, meaning that you could level them, equip them, and set their skills. In Darktide, there are zero bots if you play solo, which isn't really viable in a game like this. One hound (generic L4D-like enemy that jumps on you) and you're done with zero options. That means you're required to queue with random people. If you play with one or more friends, bots are added to fill the holes to make it four people, but those bots are generic, level 1 characters with no skills and no gear - in other words, they are more of a liability than a help.
5. Horrible systems - crafting, progression, cosmetic, skill.
6. Terrible in-action communication. You cannot see what you're doing. Special enemies (again, think Left4Dead 'special' zombies) are often impossible to see. The sound field is a mass of yells and shouts, which drown out sound cues, while many of the specials look exactly like the regular enemies, meaning that you have to spam your 'tag' key and hope to get lucky and tag (highlight) the special in the crowd of 50 enemies. For another example, One class has an ability that lets him select an opponent and charge at them. The opponent is marked with a glow around his feet. That opponent is likely standing in the middle or rear of 50 other enemies, making it impossible to see said feet, and making it so that you waste your ability most of the time when you need it most.
7. Terrible interface communication. Equipment and abilities are described with a huge array of icons and terms. Neither is defined anywhere within the actual game, and there are no tooltips. This weapon has Image with Relentless and Finesse. This other weapon has the same damage, but has Image with Relentless and Mobility. What do any of those icons or terms mean? Get ready for some googlin', because Fatshart isn't telling you.
7. Extremely predatory microtransactions. For example, they give you your starter appearance, which is literally prison rags. You can get a basic update to that that looks bland and uninteresting. Every other cosmetic option is locked behind a cash shop. That cash shop is overpriced (more than most). When people weren't buying enough, they added a manipulative FOMO factor - timers after which the stuff is removed from the shop to make people afraid to not spend them. Oh, and earning the currency in-game? They removed that just before launch.
8. The developers are genuine shitwits. They treat their community terribly. Their community relations guy - "Hedge" - is just straight up condescending and rude. He's a power tripping Derek Smart on a bad day. Bad PR people happen. They've happened in companies that I respect. Those companies, however, learn and hire PR people who know how to PR. Fratshat just lets him keep insulting people who question him.

So, yeah - stay away from Darktide.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

A quick thought - the one thing that changed between Vermintide 2 and Darktide was that Fatshark got taken over by Tencent.
dbt1949

Post by dbt1949 »

How can you play a game you don't like that long?
Ye Olde Farte
Double Ought Forty
aka dbt1949
TheMix

Post by TheMix »

dbt1949 wrote: Tue Jan 24, 2023 7:54 pm How can you play a game you don't like that long?
I don't see a mention of how long he played. The ones he played a lot of were the two Vermintides. I'm guessing he didn't play very long.

Black Lives Matter

Isgrimnur - Facebook makes you hate your friends and family. LinkedIn makes you hate you co-workers. NextDoor makes you hate your neighbors.
dbt1949

Post by dbt1949 »

Oh, my bad. I thought he was talking about this game.
Ye Olde Farte
Double Ought Forty
aka dbt1949
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

I have played for nine hours (according to Steam.) If you take out the 30-minute tutorial and various paused-and-downtime, it's probably seven. Much of that was because we were playing it in a group, and represents two sessions.
Jaddison

Post by Jaddison »

the devs posted some sort of apology open letter

To Our Players,

We take enormous pride in our ability at Fatshark to deliver a game that millions can enjoy. This was what we set out to do with Warhammer 40,000: Darktide – to create a highly engaging and stable game with a level of depth that keeps you playing for weeks, not hours.

We fell short of meeting those expectations.

Over the next few months, our sole focus is to address the feedback that many of you have. In particular, we will focus on delivering a complete crafting system, a more rewarding progression loop, and continue to work on game stability and performance optimization.

This also means that we will delay our seasonal content rollout and the Xbox Series X|S launch. We will also suspend the upcoming releases of premium cosmetics. We just couldn’t continue down this path, knowing that we have not addressed many feedback areas in the game today.

Thank you for playing and providing feedback. We really appreciate it. It has and will continue to help shape the game we love.

Martin Wahlund
CEO and Co-Founder of Fatshark
GreenGoo

Post by GreenGoo »

Blackhawk wrote: Tue Jan 24, 2023 6:16 pm I was given this by a friend for Christmas, and have played a number of sessions. For context, I have 169 hours in Vermintide, and 170 in Vermintide 2 (this is basically Vermintide In Space by the same company.) Here's my recommendation:
<snip>
So, yeah - stay away from Darktide.
So as one of the people who played Vermintide with you (and enjoyed the hell out of it) but stayed away from Vermintide 2 (no reason, just wasn't feeling it), I was hoping Darktide would be all that was awesome about Vermintide with a 40K cherry on top. I love 40K despite never playing the table top game ever.

This is incredibly disappointing news. But thanks for the heads up.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

I remembered the one I was forgetting:

9. Most of the cosmetics that are included in the game are locked behind extremely tricky and difficult challenges - think achievements. Those challenges were designed in such a way that players trying to get them have to be disruptive of the entire group, frequently leading to the entire team losing missions. With the only option for most people being to play with random groups, this creates huge issues. You're either a dick to dozens of strangers while you try, or you don't get them. And even if you don't, half of the groups you get in will have someone who is trying.
raydude

Post by raydude »

Blackhawk wrote: Wed Jan 25, 2023 12:46 pm I remembered the one I was forgetting:

9. Most of the cosmetics that are included in the game are locked behind extremely tricky and difficult challenges - think achievements. Those challenges were designed in such a way that players trying to get them have to be disruptive of the entire group, frequently leading to the entire team losing missions. With the only option for most people being to play with random groups, this creates huge issues. You're either a dick to dozens of strangers while you try, or you don't get them. And even if you don't, half of the groups you get in will have someone who is trying.
I haven't played the game and resisted buying based on what I read here. But I have a question related to these challenges to get cosmetics:

Would it be possible for a team to work together to meet those challenges? Like say, a group of 4 friends decided to bang out several challenges by working together. Are the challenges constructed such that they could do so, or do they involve one of the 4 friends having to behave dickishly?