CRITICALLY IMPORTANT TOPIC

Discuss site matters here

Moderators: FishPants, ooRip

El Guapo

CRITICALLY IMPORTANT TOPIC

Post by El Guapo »

Is there any way to move the "Mark Forums Read" link so that it's not right above the "board index"? I keep accidentally clicking on Mark Forums Read instead of Board Index when I'm trying to go back to the index to switch sub-forums. And then I have all sorts of threads marked as read that I haven't read!

I am very angry about this and insist that it be addressed immediately! I need to speak with your manager!!! :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil:
Black Lives Matter.
Isgrimnur

Re: CRITICALLY IMPORTANT TOPIC

Post by Isgrimnur »

Use a different style

It's almost as if people are the problem.
ImLawBoy
Forum Admin

Post by ImLawBoy »

Simply switch to profile "SE Board Left". Problem solved!

(I don't do any of the board configuration stuff. I'd likely destroy things.)
That's my purse! I don't know you!
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

ugh, I need to change the color scheme to something God did not intend in order to get the "Mark Forums Read" button to move.

I AM STILL OUTRAGED!!!1!!!one!!!
Black Lives Matter.
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

El Guapo wrote: Fri Jul 24, 2020 12:35 pm Is there any way to move the "Mark Forums Read" link so that it's not right above the "board index"? I keep accidentally clicking on Mark Forums Read instead of Board Index when I'm trying to go back to the index to switch sub-forums. And then I have all sorts of threads marked as read that I haven't read!

I have done this several times. I hear you.

Even just a "Are you sure you want to mark all as read?" would be nice. I mean who actually does that anyway?
" Hey OP, listen to my advice alright." -Tha General
"No scientific discovery is named after its original discoverer." -Stigler's Law of Eponymy, discovered by Robert K. Merton

MYT
stessier

Post by stessier »

I'm another one that has done it. It's always followed be a very loud sigh...but then I'm mostly Eeyore.
I require a reminder as to why raining arcane destruction is not an appropriate response to all of life's indignities. - Vaarsuvius
Global Steam Wishmaslist Tracking
Running____2014: 1300.55 miles____2015: 2036.13 miles____2016: 1012.75 miles____2017: 1105.82 miles____2018: 1318.91 miles__2019: 2000.00 miles
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

stessier wrote: Fri Jul 24, 2020 1:53 pm I'm another one that has done it. It's always followed be a very loud sigh...but then I'm mostly Eeyore.
It's an outrage, is what it is. Is it possible to call the police on a forum?
Black Lives Matter.
ImLawBoy
Forum Admin

Post by ImLawBoy »

El Guapo wrote: Fri Jul 24, 2020 3:33 pm
stessier wrote: Fri Jul 24, 2020 1:53 pm I'm another one that has done it. It's always followed be a very loud sigh...but then I'm mostly Eeyore.
It's an outrage, is what it is. Is it possible to call the police on a forum?
Gimme a minute and I'll go ahead and change your user name to Karen.
That's my purse! I don't know you!
The Meal

Post by The Meal »

LawBeefaroni wrote: Fri Jul 24, 2020 1:29 pm
El Guapo wrote: Fri Jul 24, 2020 12:35 pm the "Mark Forums Read" link
I mean who actually does that anyway?
I probably use that button five times a day. I'd prefer to invisiblificate from threads I know I never want to open (Cineplexity, I'm looking at you!), but as it stands, once I'm as up to date on a forum as I want to be, "mark all as read" is about as good as I can get things.
"Better to talk to people than communicate via tweet." — Elontra
Sudy

Post by Sudy »

I have also done this and REFUSE to change the display style as I don't wish to encourage the sloppy design decision someone made decades ago. I'm just going to leave the forum instead! Suckers!

In reality, doing this just confuses me visually since I don't actually make an effort to read all threads and instead I just feel like an overachiever for a while. Even though I'm embarrassed at the thought of having read some of those bullshit topics.

I saw a commercial on late night TV. It said, "Forget everything you know about slipcovers." So I did. And it was a load off my mind. Then the commercial tried to sell me slipcovers, and I didn't know what the hell they were. -- Mitch Hedberg
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

I use it all the time. I go into a section, middle-click the threads I want to read, hit 'Mark topics read', and move on to the next forum. When I get done, I hit 'Mark forums read' to clear out the forums I don't read to begin with (usually just Forum Games.) I've yet to ever do it by going to to the board index.

On the other hand, at least once a week I go to click on the notifications and log myself out instead.
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)