For discussion of religion and politics

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, $iljanus

Jaymann

Re: Election integrity and the transfer of power

Post by Jaymann »

stessier wrote: Thu Feb 03, 2022 4:56 pm
Jaymann wrote: Thu Feb 03, 2022 4:44 pm
stessier wrote: Thu Feb 03, 2022 4:37 pm
Jaymann wrote: Thu Feb 03, 2022 4:06 pm The problem with that scenario is that if Biden resigned for any reason Florida Man does not become President. It would be Kamala Harris, or if she steps down possibly Nancy Pelosi!?!
The theory is that the election was stolen and thus neither Biden or Harris are legitimate.
So again, there is no mechanism for putting anyone in office not in the chain of succession.
I mean, this whole thing is outside the normal mechanisms, so I'm not sure why you're taking it seriously.
I just like my crazy to be logically consistent.
Jaymann
]==(:::::::::::::>
Black Lives Matter
Octavious

Post by Octavious »

Meanwhile they had Rudy on the masked singer. I totally love normalizing people that tried to help overthrow an election. :P
Capitalism tries for a delicate balance: It attempts to work things out so that everyone gets just enough stuff to keep them from getting violent and trying to take other people’s stuff.

Shameless plug for my website: www.nettphoto.com
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

Octavious wrote: Thu Feb 03, 2022 5:12 pm Meanwhile they had Rudy on the masked singer. I totally love normalizing people that tried to help overthrow an election. :P
Apparently Ken Jeong and Robin Thicke walked off in protest. So there's that.
Black Lives Matter.
Pyperkub

Post by Pyperkub »

Octavious wrote:Meanwhile they had Rudy on the masked singer. I totally love normalizing people that tried to help overthrow an election. :P
PR announcement at Four Seasons Landscaping incoming!
Black Lives definitely Matter Lorini!

Also: There are three ways to not tell the truth: lies, damned lies, and statistics.
malchior

Post by malchior »

El Guapo wrote: Thu Feb 03, 2022 5:18 pm
Octavious wrote: Thu Feb 03, 2022 5:12 pm Meanwhile they had Rudy on the masked singer. I totally love normalizing people that tried to help overthrow an election. :P
And got trashed for "virtue signaling" by the right.
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

malchior wrote: Thu Feb 03, 2022 6:14 pm
El Guapo wrote: Thu Feb 03, 2022 5:18 pm
And got trashed for "virtue signaling" by the right.
Badge of honor.
Jaymann
]==(:::::::::::::>
Black Lives Matter
Grifman

Post by Grifman »

At least some Republicans in AZ have some common sense, but I honestly wonder how long that can last given current trends:
A Republican bill that would have overhauled elections in Arizona -- including giving the state legislature the power to reject election results -- proved to be too much even for state GOP leaders this week.
Arizona House Speaker Rusty Bowers, a Republican, quietly doomed House Bill 2596 on Tuesday with an unusual parliamentary maneuver.

The speaker assigns all new bills to a committee for consideration before they can have full House votes, a choice that often has a great effect on a measure's chance of success. But on Tuesday, Bowers took the unprecedented step of ordering all 12 House committees to consider the elections bill, virtually ensuring it will never reach the floor.
This was the worst part of the bill, but there was a lot of other bad stuff in there too.

https://www.cnn.com/2022/02/03/politics ... index.html
Tolerance is the virtue of the man without convictions. – G.K. Chesterton
Grifman

Post by Grifman »

I’d certainly buy from this guy:

What were they smoking when someone suggested Giuliani?
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

I suspect that they believe that Giuliani is well positioned to persuade their target audience. And they may be right.
Black Lives Matter.
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

I've seen those with Newt Gingrich doing the pimping, I think. Him or some other equally insufferable twat. Watching them try to take advantage of the elderly and ignorant for all of five seconds on a commercial made me angry and I turned away.
Alefroth

Post by Alefroth »

Grifman wrote: Wed Feb 16, 2022 4:34 pm I’d certainly buy from this guy:

What were they smoking when someone suggested Giuliani?
Or a SENATE!
Carpet_pissr

Post by Carpet_pissr »

Alefroth wrote: Wed Feb 16, 2022 7:41 pm Or a SENATE!
Alefroth

Post by Alefroth »

Maybe FL could loan some of their new election police-

https://www.reuters.com/world/us/colora ... 022-03-09/

Could be cross-posted in Republican Crime Wave.
malchior

Post by malchior »

They've moved on to planning undermining elections barely in the shadows. The tldr; is that there are rules to ensure non-political poll workers but the GOP is planning to go around them, install GOP trained poll workers, and have hotlines of lawyers ready to block/challenge votes. They are also building networks of friendly local officials who are ready to interfere with elections. Depending on how some of the fall elections go we may very well see our democracy go down without a fight in 2024.
Video recordings of Republican Party operatives meeting with grassroots activists provide an inside look at a multi-pronged strategy to target and potentially overturn votes in Democratic precincts: Install trained recruits as regular poll workers and put them in direct contact with party attorneys.

The plan, as outlined by a Republican National Committee staffer in Michigan, includes utilizing rules designed to provide political balance among poll workers to install party-trained volunteers prepared to challenge voters at Democratic-majority polling places, developing a website to connect those workers to local lawyers and establishing a network of party-friendly district attorneys who could intervene to block vote counts at certain precincts.

“Being a poll worker, you just have so many more rights and things you can do to stop something than [as] a poll challenger,” said Matthew Seifried, the RNC’s election integrity director for Michigan, stressing the importance of obtaining official designations as poll workers in a meeting with GOP activists in Wayne County last Nov. 6. It is one of a series of recordings of GOP meetings between summer of 2021 and May of this year obtained by POLITICO.

Backing up those front-line workers, “it’s going to be an army,” Seifried promised at an Oct. 5 training session. “We’re going to have more lawyers than we’ve ever recruited, because let’s be honest, that’s where it’s going to be fought, right?”

Seifried also said the RNC will hold “workshops” and equip poll workers with a hotline and website developed by Zendesk, a software support company used by online retailers, which will allow them to live-chat with party attorneys on Election Day. In a May, 2022 training session, he said he’d achieved a goal set last winter: More than 5,600 individuals had signed up to be poll workers and, several days ago, he submitted an initial list of more than 850 names to the Detroit clerk.

Democrat Janice Winfrey, who serves as the clerk, would be bound to pick names from the list submitted by the party under a local law intended to ensure bipartisan representation and an unbiased team of precinct workers.

Separately, POLITICO obtained Zoom tapings of Tim Griffin, legal counsel to The Amistad Project, an self-described election-integrity group that Donald Trump’s former lawyer Rudy Giuliani once portrayed as a “partner” in the Trump campaign’s legal efforts to overturn the 2020 election, meeting with activists from multiple states and discussing plans for identifying friendly district attorneys who could stage real-time interventions in local election disputes.

On the recording, Griffin speaks of building a nationwide network of district attorney allies and how to create a legal “trap” for Winfrey.
pr0ner

Post by pr0ner »

Trump is alleging fraud in the Georgia GOP gubernatorial primary because of an Emerald Robinson article saying it's impossible for Brian Kemp to have won 74% of the vote without fraud.

:doh:
Hodor.
malchior

Post by malchior »

If only they had the election fraud 'protection' network in place!
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

pr0ner wrote: Wed Jun 01, 2022 10:21 am Trump is alleging fraud in the Georgia GOP gubernatorial primary because of an Emerald Robinson article saying it's impossible for Brian Kemp to have won 74% of the vote without fraud.

:doh:
Reportedly that margin was due to Democrats crossing over into the R primary.
Diane Murray struggled with her decision all the way up to Election Day.

But when the time came, the 54-year-old Georgia Democrat cast a ballot in last week’s Republican primary for Secretary of State Brad Raffensperger. While state law allowed her to participate in either party’s primary, she said it felt like a violation of her core values to vote for the Republican. But it had to be done, she decided, to prevent a Donald Trump-backed “election denier” from becoming the battleground state’s election chief.

“I feel strongly that our democracy is at risk, and that people who are holding up the big lie, as we call it, and holding onto the former president are dangerous to democracy,” said Murray, who works at the University of Georgia. “I don’t know I’ll do it again because of how I felt afterward. I just felt icky.”

Raffensperger, a conservative who refused to support the former president’s direct calls to overturn the 2020 election, probably would not have won the May 24 Republican primary without people like Murray.

An Associated Press analysis of early voting records from data firm L2 found that more than 37,000 people who voted in Georgia’s Democratic primary two years ago cast ballots in last week’s Republican primary, an unusually high number of so-called crossover voters. Even taking into account the limited sample of early votes, the data reveal that crossover voters were consequential in defeating Trump’s hand-picked candidates for secretary of state and, to a lesser extent, governor.

Governor Brian Kemp did not ultimately need Democrats in his blowout victory against his Trump-backed opponent, but Raffensperger probably did.
I'm tentatively planning to vote against the heavily-favored trumpster and for the moderate underdog in the Mass. R primary, and urge Dems and independents in all open-primary states to consider doing the same. There is no compelling reason for me to take a D ballot.
Pyperkub

Post by Pyperkub »

It is going to be really ugly the next few years...
Video recordings of Republican Party operatives meeting with grassroots activists provide an inside look at a multi-pronged strategy to target and potentially overturn votes in Democratic precincts: Install trained recruits as regular poll workers and put them in direct contact with party attorneys.

The plan, as outlined by a Republican National Committee staffer in Michigan, includes utilizing rules designed to provide political balance among poll workers to install party-trained volunteers prepared to challenge voters at Democratic-majority polling places, developing a website to connect those workers to local lawyers and establishing a network of party-friendly district attorneys who could intervene to block vote counts at certain precincts.
You gotta love how the GOP is so insistent upon having Party Officers overseeing *everything*. Reminds me of certain other countries...
Black Lives definitely Matter Lorini!

Also: There are three ways to not tell the truth: lies, damned lies, and statistics.
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

malchior wrote: Wed Jun 01, 2022 8:07 am They've moved on to planning undermining elections barely in the shadows. The tldr; is that there are rules to ensure non-political poll workers but the GOP is planning to go around them, install GOP trained poll workers, and have hotlines of lawyers ready to block/challenge votes. They are also building networks of friendly local officials who are ready to interfere with elections. Depending on how some of the fall elections go we may very well see our democracy go down without a fight in 2024.

“Being a poll worker, you just have so many more rights and things you can do to stop something than [as] a poll challenger,” said Matthew Seifried, the RNC’s election integrity director for Michigan, stressing the importance of obtaining official designations as poll workers in a meeting with GOP activists in Wayne County last Nov. 6. It is one of a series of recordings of GOP meetings between summer of 2021 and May of this year obtained by POLITICO.

Backing up those front-line workers, “it’s going to be an army,” Seifried promised at an Oct. 5 training session. “We’re going to have more lawyers than we’ve ever recruited, because let’s be honest, that’s where it’s going to be fought, right?”

Seifried also said the RNC will hold “workshops” and equip poll workers with a hotline and website developed by Zendesk, a software support company used by online retailers, which will allow them to live-chat with party attorneys on Election Day. In a May, 2022 training session, he said he’d achieved a goal set last winter: More than 5,600 individuals had signed up to be poll workers and, several days ago, he submitted an initial list of more than 850 names to the Detroit clerk.

Democrat Janice Winfrey, who serves as the clerk, would be bound to pick names from the list submitted by the party under a local law intended to ensure bipartisan representation and an unbiased team of precinct workers.

Separately, POLITICO obtained Zoom tapings of Tim Griffin, legal counsel to The Amistad Project, an self-described election-integrity group that Donald Trump’s former lawyer Rudy Giuliani once portrayed as a “partner” in the Trump campaign’s legal efforts to overturn the 2020 election, meeting with activists from multiple states and discussing plans for identifying friendly district attorneys who could stage real-time interventions in local election disputes.

On the recording, Griffin speaks of building a nationwide network of district attorney allies and how to create a legal “trap” for Winfrey.
This will probably work because who is going to organize to fight it?

And it's not just our democracy. If we lose it in 2024, rest of world probably goes down in flames too. If Trump were president right now, Putin would halfway across Poland by now.
" Hey OP, listen to my advice alright." -Tha General
"No scientific discovery is named after its original discoverer." -Stigler's Law of Eponymy, discovered by Robert K. Merton

MYT
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

LawBeefaroni wrote: Wed Jun 01, 2022 11:02 am And it's not just our democracy. If we lose it in 2024, rest of world probably goes down in flames too. If Trump were president right now, Putin would halfway across Poland by now.
Agreed, and then it's weird to listen to the crosstalk from the conservative aisle. Schrodinger's GOP want both to have Biden be more effective at stopping Russian expansionism and to stay out of globalist politics. Trump assuredly would have stopped Putin from attacking, stayed out of globalist empire building, and help put down the Nazism in Ukraine, all while recognizing the US is guilty of having blood on its hands and acknowledging the need for "ethnic Russian" geopolitical/militarist action by comparing it to the US Mexican border. This naturally would bring a better deal for the US and keeping the American economy the greatest in the world, reducing government spending waste and keeping our strategic energy advantage in domestically and in Europe.
Carpet_pissr

Post by Carpet_pissr »

At what point do we call for the UN to come here, not just for the electoral shenanigans, but for the humanitarian crisis that we are incapable of dealing with.
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

Carpet_pissr wrote: Wed Jun 01, 2022 1:04 pm At what point do we call for the UN to come here, not just for the electoral shenanigans, but for the humanitarian crisis that we are incapable of dealing with.
Can you imagine if Biden invited the U.N. to come in and help with election issues? Rupert Murdoch and Alex Jones would both immediately orgasm.
Black Lives Matter.
Carpet_pissr

Post by Carpet_pissr »

El Guapo wrote: Wed Jun 01, 2022 2:07 pm
Carpet_pissr wrote: Wed Jun 01, 2022 1:04 pm At what point do we call for the UN to come here, not just for the electoral shenanigans, but for the humanitarian crisis that we are incapable of dealing with.
Can you imagine if Biden invited the U.N. to come in and help with election issues? Rupert Murdoch and Alex Jones would both immediately orgasm.
It was a tongue in cheek comment, but we are kind of at the mouth motor-boating stage in terms of national competence as far as I can tell. Maybe it's shock. Certainly trauma. Yeah, that actually seems to be more apt. We are the guy in a movie who has been fatally shot, and looks down at the gaping wound in his torso. He's conscious, but unable to act (or think rationally).
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

Carpet_pissr wrote: Wed Jun 01, 2022 2:26 pm
El Guapo wrote: Wed Jun 01, 2022 2:07 pm
It was a tongue in cheek comment, but we are kind of at the mouth motor-boating stage in terms of national competence as far as I can tell. Maybe it's shock. Certainly trauma. Yeah, that actually seems to be more apt. We are the guy in a movie who has been fatally shot, and looks down at the gaping wound in his torso. He's conscious, but unable to act (or think rationally).
Oh, I got that, it just made me imagine the conservative media response.
Black Lives Matter.
malchior

Post by malchior »

Oh a decision from 2013...I think we can guess how this will go.

waitingtoconnect

Post by waitingtoconnect »

LawBeefaroni wrote: Wed Jun 01, 2022 11:02 am
malchior wrote: Wed Jun 01, 2022 8:07 am They've moved on to planning undermining elections barely in the shadows. The tldr; is that there are rules to ensure non-political poll workers but the GOP is planning to go around them, install GOP trained poll workers, and have hotlines of lawyers ready to block/challenge votes. They are also building networks of friendly local officials who are ready to interfere with elections. Depending on how some of the fall elections go we may very well see our democracy go down without a fight in 2024.

This will probably work because who is going to organize to fight it?

And it's not just our democracy. If we lose it in 2024, rest of world probably goes down in flames too. If Trump were president right now, Putin would halfway across Poland by now.
And based on GOP nutters US troops would be helping him.
malchior

Post by malchior »

Good stuff out of Wisconsin. It's nice to see extremist State Supreme courts too.

Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

Because we all need some levity in this thread...

Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

When was the last time a sitting Senator was ordered to appear in court?
"The judge called Graham 'a necessary and material witness' who can't dodge grand jury testimony," Pagliery reported.

Graham is scheduled to appear on Aug. 2, the order said. But the Republican senator is expected to fight the subpoena from his home state of South Carolina.
Maybe next year, maybe no go
Grifman

Post by Grifman »

Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

"We're hopeful," said Sen. Joe Manchin, a Democrat of West Virginia, on Wednesday about the timetable for announcing a deal.

"We are very close. We have a few technical issues to iron out. And I'm very hopeful we'll have a bill early next week," said Sen. Susan Collins, a Maine Republican, on Wednesday who added that because of jurisdictional issues, the group may propose a series of bills to address the needed reforms, but they have not made a decision on that yet.
Enlarge Image
It's almost as if people are the problem.
malchior

Post by malchior »

Oh, so they'll clarify the already accepted view before a crackpot environmental lawyer wrote a memo. Job done. Democracy is saved.

It's not like some other cockamamie theory like Independent Legislator Theory is up in front of the Supreme Court next term. Or that several other thin excuses to wield raw power aren't constantly being invented and tested at the state levels right now.
Last edited by malchior on Thu Jul 14, 2022 5:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Seriously. When have Manchin and Collins ever disappointed us before?
Maybe next year, maybe no go
Drazzil

Post by Drazzil »

Smoove_B wrote: Mon Jul 11, 2022 5:38 pm When was the last time a sitting Senator was ordered to appear in court?
"The judge called Graham 'a necessary and material witness' who can't dodge grand jury testimony," Pagliery reported.

Graham is scheduled to appear on Aug. 2, the order said. But the Republican senator is expected to fight the subpoena from his home state of South Carolina.
I'd love to see the house police force drag him from his hideyhole and to testify.
Daehawk wrote:Thats Drazzil's chair damnit.
Unagi

Post by Unagi »

Drazzil wrote: Thu Jul 14, 2022 7:21 pm
Smoove_B wrote: Mon Jul 11, 2022 5:38 pm When was the last time a sitting Senator was ordered to appear in court?

I'd love to see the house police force drag him from his hideyhole and to testify.
Wouldn't that have to be all part of the script though? What on earth would make you think that would either matter or happen, etc. Why do you have anything like this to even say on the matter. Shouldn't you just say "Kabuki Theater" here too?
Drazzil

Post by Drazzil »

Unagi wrote: Thu Jul 14, 2022 7:35 pm
Drazzil wrote: Thu Jul 14, 2022 7:21 pm

Wouldn't that have to be all part of the script though? What on earth would make you think that would either matter or happen, etc. Why do you have anything like this to even say on the matter. Shouldn't you just say "Kabuki Theater" here too?
It is a bit WWE isn't it? Just to make you happy "Kabuki Theater"!
Daehawk wrote:Thats Drazzil's chair damnit.
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

I'm sure that this new VotifyNow app will prove to be a very useful tool in ensuring voting integrity in upcoming elections. There's absolutely no chance it will be entirely abused by MAGA wingnuts who understand literally nothing about the election process, and that it's data will be used to draw completely false conclusions that will then be presented by the GOP as evidence to create even more "security" laws and regulations.

I mean, when you have such election security luminaries like Lara Trump, Mike Lindell, and Roger Stone involved, how could it possibly go wrong?

JFC. :grund:
When darkness veils the world, four Warriors of Light shall come.
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

Yup. Bearing in mind that they really only need a large sounding % of reports, even if they're all bullshit, because that then allows the legislature to step in and say "given all these reports of irregularities we have no way of knowing who actually won, therefore we have to step in and award the electors to who we think should / did win."
Black Lives Matter.
Zarathud

Post by Zarathud »

Crowdsourced fraud in the name of “preventing fraud.” At least there will be a database of the participants.
"If the facts don't fit the theory, change the facts." - Albert Einstein
"I don't stand by anything." - Trump
“Bad men need nothing more to compass their ends, than that good men should look on and do nothing.” - John Stuart Mill, Inaugural Address Delivered to the University of St Andrews, 2/1/1867
“It is the impractical things in this tumultuous hell-scape of a world that matter most. A book, a name, chicken soup. They help us remember that, even in our darkest hour, life is still to be savored.” - Poe, Altered Carbon
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Holy shades of McCarthyism, Batman!
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)