Election integrity and the transfer of power

For discussion of religion and politics

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, $iljanus

Skinypupy

Re: Election integrity and the transfer of power

Post by Skinypupy »

WYBaugh wrote: Sun Nov 15, 2020 9:52 pm https://www.theepochtimes.com/trump-law ... 20-11-15-3
Former federal prosecutor Sidney Powell, a Trump campaign lawyer, suggested in a Sunday interview that the president’s legal team is receiving a deluge of evidence concerning voter fraud and irregularities.

“We’re getting ready to overturn election results in multiple states,” Powell said on Fox Business, adding that she has enough evidence of election fraud to launch a widespread criminal investigation. “I don’t make comments without having the evidence to back it up.”
“We’ve identified mathematically the exact algorithm they’ve used—and planned to use from the beginning” that allegedly switched votes to Biden, Powell said.
Is this a joke site?
Epoch Times? Yes, but unintentionally.

I expect they’ll come up with something that sounds “smart” enough for the MAGAs to buy into it entirely, but will fall apart the moment it comes under any scrutiny at all.

It will never be submitted to the courts, but will be amplified on the usual places until it is adopted as gospel truth. Further eroding the faith in system.
When darkness veils the world, four Warriors of Light shall come.
Holman

Post by Holman »

This is everything Putin hoped for.

I wonder if Trump voters will ever again believe an election can be—or needs to be—legitimate.
Much prefer my Nazis Nuremberged.
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

Looks like Noam Chomsky was right.
Jaymann
]==(:::::::::::::>
Black Lives Matter
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

Twitter really needs to grow up and mine beyond 'disputed.'

No, these claims are not disputed, any more than the spherical nature of the Earth is disputed.
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

WYBaugh wrote: Sun Nov 15, 2020 9:52 pm https://www.theepochtimes.com/trump-law ... 20-11-15-3
Former federal prosecutor Sidney Powell, a Trump campaign lawyer, suggested in a Sunday interview that the president’s legal team is receiving a deluge of evidence concerning voter fraud and irregularities.

“We’re getting ready to overturn election results in multiple states,” Powell said on Fox Business, adding that she has enough evidence of election fraud to launch a widespread criminal investigation. “I don’t make comments without having the evidence to back it up.”
“We’ve identified mathematically the exact algorithm they’ve used—and planned to use from the beginning” that allegedly switched votes to Biden, Powell said.
Is this a joke site?
It's a Falun Gong propaganda arm.

In 2019, an NBC News investigative report suggested The Epoch Times's political coverage may be affected by Falun Gong believers' anticipation of a judgment day in which communists are sent to hell, and Falun Gong's allies are spared. Former Epoch Times employees told NBC News that President Donald Trump is viewed as a key anti-communist ally,[18] allegedly hastening that judgment day.
" Hey OP, listen to my advice alright." -Tha General
"No scientific discovery is named after its original discoverer." -Stigler's Law of Eponymy, discovered by Robert K. Merton

MYT
WYBaugh

Post by WYBaugh »

LawBeefaroni wrote: Mon Nov 16, 2020 12:09 am

Is this a joke site?
It's a Falun Gong propaganda arm.

In 2019, an NBC News investigative report suggested The Epoch Times's political coverage may be affected by Falun Gong believers' anticipation of a judgment day in which communists are sent to hell, and Falun Gong's allies are spared. Former Epoch Times employees told NBC News that President Donald Trump is viewed as a key anti-communist ally,[18] allegedly hastening that judgment day.
Thank you guys. That's disturbing. I found the initial link posted by the crazies on a gator football forum.
Ralph-Wiggum

Post by Ralph-Wiggum »

One worry pre-election was that worries that Trump would steal that election might reduce turnout among anti-Trump voters. Obviously, that doesn't seem to have happened. But, I wonder if all of Trump's tweets and the support of much of the GOP about election fraud might actually have the effect in future elections of reducing Republican turnout. If they think the election will be stolen like it was this year, what's the point in coming out to vote?
Black Lives Matter
Holman

Post by Holman »

Ralph-Wiggum wrote: Mon Nov 16, 2020 10:29 am One worry pre-election was that worries that Trump would steal that election might reduce turnout among anti-Trump voters. Obviously, that doesn't seem to have happened. But, I wonder if all of Trump's tweets and the support of much of the GOP about election fraud might actually have the effect in future elections of reducing Republican turnout. If they think the election will be stolen like it was this year, what's the point in coming out to vote?
My worry is that Republican belief that elections are fake gives a green light to every future GOP Governor or Secretary of State or AG to go all-in on election fraud. And their voters will condone it.
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

Ralph-Wiggum wrote: Mon Nov 16, 2020 10:29 am One worry pre-election was that worries that Trump would steal that election might reduce turnout among anti-Trump voters. Obviously, that doesn't seem to have happened. But, I wonder if all of Trump's tweets and the support of much of the GOP about election fraud might actually have the effect in future elections of reducing Republican turnout. If they think the election will be stolen like it was this year, what's the point in coming out to vote?
Except that the "fraud" is being very clearly defined as "any vote that's not Republican". As long as that continues to be the message, I imagine it will actually increase their turnout. They'll want to ensure that there is enough strong support for when the "fraudulent" (i.e. non-Republican) votes are discarded because reasons.
When darkness veils the world, four Warriors of Light shall come.
YellowKing

Post by YellowKing »

I'm not completely convinced (yet) that normal, non-mentally ill people are going to take it upon themselves to push the election fraud narrative. Sure, Republican politicians are going to take advantage of it if Trump's going to blast it out there, but do you really see that coming from the GOP establishment after Trump's gone?

As much as we'd like to believe that the entire Republican party is living in an alternate reality, my guess is that the vast majority know exactly what's going on and their actions are borne out of political strategy and not personal belief that the election was actually stolen. Trump's la-la land fantasies are just political cover for them to get away with what they can get away with. With Trump out of the picture, I'm not sure any of them has the actual cajones to seriously push an alternate reality agenda.

I think this is particularly true considering the strategy didn't even *work*. Despite Trump's claims, Biden's still going to be President. Undermining faith in the elections doesn't help Republicans unless they're somehow benefitting from it by getting results overturned, which hasn't happened. And can't happen, given the fraud doesn't actually exist. In short, I see a lot of downsides (loss of credibility, getting smacked around by the courts, suppressing their own voter turnout, driving Democratic turnout (to overcome close margins), etc. I see very little upside after this election, given they didn't accomplish anything.
Holman

Post by Holman »

Just saw the stat that some 70% of Republicans believe this election was fraudulent.

At at certain point it doesn't matter what the elites believe. The narrative sets the culture and shapes the next generation of politicians.

We'll never see another John McCain. We'll see a whole lot of Matt Gaetz's.
YellowKing

Post by YellowKing »

They believe it because Trump says it. They never believed it before Trump, just as they weren't decrying "fake news" until he made it a thing. Remove the narrative (Trump), you remove the culture.

This cult is not going to operate in the same way without its leader.
Combustible Lemur

Post by Combustible Lemur »

YellowKing wrote:They believe it because Trump says it. They never believed it before Trump, just as they weren't decrying "fake news" until he made it a thing. Remove the narrative (Trump), you remove the culture.

Are you kidding?

Fake liberal news has been a thing since i was a kid. He just rebranded it. Limbaugh, Jones, OANN, Fox have since at least the nineties pitched themselves as where to find the real truth. Jon Stewart built half his show on that premise.

It may be getting worse, but the idea that liberal media / education lies and propogandizes vs conservatives are the keepers of the sacred truth is as old as time.

I'll grant you that Murdoch, the Kochs, Gingrich, Trump etc have branded and packaged it into an explicitly political tool of the governmental right.

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

Is Scott home? thump thump thump Crash ......No.
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

Holman wrote: Mon Nov 16, 2020 11:02 am

We'll never see another John McCain.
Sure we will. They just won't have the GOP label.
"No scientific discovery is named after its original discoverer." -Stigler's Law of Eponymy, discovered by Robert K. Merton

MYT
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

Combustible Lemur wrote: Mon Nov 16, 2020 11:43 am
YellowKing wrote:They believe it because Trump says it. They never believed it before Trump, just as they weren't decrying "fake news" until he made it a thing. Remove the narrative (Trump), you remove the culture.

Are you kidding?

Fake liberal news has been a thing since i was a kid. He just rebranded it. Limbaugh, Jones, OANN, Fox have since at least the nineties pitched themselves as where to find the real truth. Jon Stewart built half his show on that premise.

It may be getting worse, but the idea that liberal media / education lies and propogandizes vs conservatives are the keepers of the sacred truth is as old as time.

I'll grant you that Murdoch, the Kochs, Gingrich, Trump etc have branded and packaged it into an explicitly political tool of the governmental right.

Yep.
Left Turn: How Liberal Media Bias Distorts the American Mind
by Tim Groseclose

Hardcover, 304 pages
Published July 19th 2011 by St. Martin's Press
And that's far from the first one. This narrative have been going on for decades. Trump just lucked into it and wielded it where no one dared before.

MYT
YellowKing

Post by YellowKing »

Combustible Lemur wrote:Fake liberal news has been a thing since i was a kid. He just rebranded it.
I'd argue that "liberal media bias" was a thing. Hence Fox News "fair and balanced." I never saw the wholesale repudiation of actual facts (IE the news is making stuff up) pre-Trump. It may be a fine distinction, as I know conservative outlets considered liberal "spin" as untrue. But Trump introduced the idea that the sky is green, even when you could look out your window and see it was blue. He posited that objectively provable facts were no longer facts, and that the media, instead of interpreting facts with their radical liberal spin, were just making things up whole cloth.
Paingod

Post by Paingod »

LawBeefaroni wrote: Mon Nov 16, 2020 11:49 am Trump just lucked into it and wielded it where no one dared before.
Like he went fishing and reeled in a 15" black ribbed nobbler and is now chasing people around the party with it.
Black Lives Matter

2021-01-20: The first good night's sleep I had in 4 years.
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

YellowKing wrote: Mon Nov 16, 2020 11:54 am
Combustible Lemur wrote:Fake liberal news has been a thing since i was a kid. He just rebranded it.
I'd argue that "liberal media bias" was a thing. Hence Fox News "fair and balanced." I never saw the wholesale repudiation of actual facts (IE the news is making stuff up) pre-Trump. It may be a fine distinction, as I know conservative outlets considered liberal "spin" as untrue. But Trump introduced the idea that the sky is green, even when you could look out your window and see it was blue. He posited that objectively provable facts were no longer facts, and that the media, instead of interpreting facts with their radical liberal spin, were just making things up whole cloth.
Sweet summer child...

I'll grant that Trump certainly took it to a whole other level, and that his followers are beyond the pale, but this isn't a new concept that began with Trump. Fact-optional politics have been a major part of the GOP at least as long as I've been paying close attention (so, early 2000s).
$iljanus
Forum Moderator

Post by $iljanus »

Why not? Trunpism sells by way of getting votes and potential campaign contributions. It's the easy path for a Republican politician to take in most of the red states.

Believe me, I'd like to see your vision of a future Republican party come to pass but I don't think that's happening for a while.
Black lives matter!

Wise words of warning from Smoove B: Oh, how you all laughed when I warned you about the semen. Well, who's laughing now?
Paingod

Post by Paingod »

Zaxxon wrote: Mon Nov 16, 2020 12:01 pmFact-optional politics have been a major part of the GOP at least as long as I've been paying close attention (so, early 2000s).
While I want to bang that drum, you can't not acknowledge that a large part of the GOP's base has been facts-optional as well. Ignorant (as the dictionary definition) voters are their bread and butter. I'm not saying Liberals are strictly science as religion, but they tend to expect more evidence in their dialog.
Black Lives Matter

2021-01-20: The first good night's sleep I had in 4 years.
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

YellowKing wrote: Mon Nov 16, 2020 10:59 am I'm not completely convinced (yet) that normal, non-mentally ill people are going to take it upon themselves to push the election fraud narrative. Sure, Republican politicians are going to take advantage of it if Trump's going to blast it out there, but do you really see that coming from the GOP establishment after Trump's gone?
Yes, to bolster further voter suppression.
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

Paingod wrote: Mon Nov 16, 2020 12:08 pm
Zaxxon wrote: Mon Nov 16, 2020 12:01 pmFact-optional politics have been a major part of the GOP at least as long as I've been paying close attention (so, early 2000s).
While I want to bang that drum, you can't not acknowledge that a large part of the GOP's base has been facts-optional as well.
Indeed, you cannot not. Which is why I did acknowledge that part.
Zaxxon wrote: Mon Nov 16, 2020 12:01 pm I'll grant that Trump certainly took it to a whole other level, and that his followers are beyond the pale, but this isn't a new concept that began with Trump. Fact-optional politics have been a major part of the GOP at least as long as I've been paying close attention (so, early 2000s).
Combustible Lemur

Post by Combustible Lemur »

YellowKing wrote:
Are you JUST talking the modern communications technology toolkit or the general idea of discrediting your political opponents for power and ideology.

If the former, sure i can appreciate the distinction. If the latter, i would argue it's your vestigial conservative bias.

Fossil fuels, smoking, The drug war, athiesm, immigration, the red scare, european style socialism.

People in power arent any more savvy or savage today. They just have fancier tools and its harder to keep it hidden.

Is Scott home? thump thump thump Crash ......No.
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

YellowKing wrote: Mon Nov 16, 2020 11:54 am But Trump introduced the idea that the sky is green, even when you could look out your window and see it was blue. He posited that objectively provable facts were no longer facts, and that the media, instead of interpreting facts with their radical liberal spin, were just making things up whole cloth.
Trump didn't introduce that. George Orwell wrote about it and even he didn't make it up whole cloth. He got it from history.

MYT
YellowKing

Post by YellowKing »

Fair point. I guess my distinction is more around Trump's bluntness vs the "couching in spin" techniques of past administrations. And certainly that openness may be a direct consequence of social media.
noxiousdog

Post by noxiousdog »

YellowKing wrote: Mon Nov 16, 2020 12:32 pm Fair point. I guess my distinction is more around Trump's bluntness vs the "couching in spin" techniques of past administrations. And certainly that openness may be a direct consequence of social media.
I think this is a fair distinction. It's never been a brazen as Trump style lying.
Black Lives Matter

"To wield Grond, the mighty hammer of the Federal Government, is to be intoxicated with power beyond what you and I can reckon (though I figure we can ball park it pretty good with computers and maths). Need to tunnel through a mountain? Grond. Kill a mighty ogre? Grond. Hangnail? Grond. Spider? Grond (actually, that's a legit use, moreso than the rest)." - Peacedog
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Combustible Lemur wrote: Mon Nov 16, 2020 11:43 amJon Stewart built half his show on that premise.
It's almost as if people are the problem.
RunningMn9

Post by RunningMn9 »

LawBeefaroni wrote:And that's far from the first one. This narrative have been going on for decades. Trump just lucked into it and wielded it where no one dared before.
Yeah, it’s been going on as long as there’s been conservative media.

A solid tweet thread from a guy who made his bones attacking the liberal media.

And in banks across the world
Christians, Moslems, Hindus, Jews
And every other race, creed, colour, tint or hue
Get down on their knees and pray
The raccoon and the groundhog neatly
Make up bags of change
But the monkey in the corner
Well he's slowly drifting out of range
Drazzil

Post by Drazzil »

Would we be better off as a country if Trump is the one who tries to seize power now vs a smart fascist in 4 or 8 years?
Daehawk wrote:Thats Drazzil's chair damnit.
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

Drazzil wrote: Mon Nov 16, 2020 2:39 pm Would we be better off as a country if Trump is the one who tries to seize power now vs a smart fascist in 4 or 8 years?
An intelligent question from the Drazmeister! Trump's bumbling attempted coup will fail, but bastards like Graham and Cruz are taking notes.
Jaymann
Black Lives Matter
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

Jaymann wrote: Mon Nov 16, 2020 2:57 pm
Drazzil wrote: Mon Nov 16, 2020 2:39 pm Would we be better off as a country if Trump is the one who tries to seize power now vs a smart fascist in 4 or 8 years?
An intelligent question from the Drazmeister! Trump's bumbling attempted coup will fail, but bastards like Graham and Cruz are taking notes.
I would happily choose a 60% chance that someone tries to become a dictator in 2024 over a 100% chance of someone trying to become a dictator today.

Plus, there's a degree to which a "Smarter Trump" is a contradiction in terms. Part of Trump's appeal is that he's openly racist instead of using code words, because he "says what he thinks" (what people want to be able to say) and "is for us" (helps white people not brown people), etc. So someone like Rubio or Graham can't really capture the same zeitgeist that Trump can.
Black Lives Matter.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

The narrative has always been there. The thing that is changing is that the narrative no longer has its populist cheerleader reminding everyone about it every couple of hours. It will still be there after Trump is just a tarnished bronze bust in the basement of the White House, but it may not be as popular or prevalent.

Will people still be glued to Twitter and Facebook when it had gone back to boring political statements instead of Donny Trump's Lib Roast?
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

CNBC
Plaintiffs aligned with President Donald Trump in four states on Monday abruptly dropped recently filed lawsuits challenging ballots seen as giving President-elect Joe Biden his margin of victory in those locales.

The dismissals of the cases, which all involved plaintiffs represented by lawyer James Bopp and the conservative group True the Vote, occurred in Georgia, Michigan, Pennsylvania and Wisconsin.
When asked why the cases were being dismissed, Bopp told CNBC in an email that because of attorney-client privilege, “and because I do not telegraph my next moves, I cannot comment.”

It is not clear if Bopp will seek to resurrect the claims, but it is legally possible he and the plaintiffs could do so.
It's almost as if people are the problem.
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

When asked why the cases were being dismissed, "mmm" Bopp told CNBC, adding "You have so many relationships in this life Only one or two will last"
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Good to see your sense of humor is still working. I see what you did there. :D
Maybe next year, maybe no go
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

LordMortis wrote: Mon Nov 16, 2020 5:09 pm
When asked why the cases were being dismissed, "mmm" Bopp told CNBC, adding "You have so many relationships in this life Only one or two will last"
I would hazard a guess that his relationship with free money is one of those.
Jaymann
Black Lives Matter
malchior

Post by malchior »

LawBeefaroni wrote: Mon Nov 16, 2020 11:49 am
Combustible Lemur wrote: Mon Nov 16, 2020 11:43 am

Are you kidding?

Yep.
Left Turn: How Liberal Media Bias Distorts the American Mind
by Tim Groseclose

Hardcover, 304 pages
Published July 19th 2011 by St. Martin's Press
And that's far from the first one. This narrative have been going on for decades. Trump just lucked into it and wielded it where no one dared before.
Late to the party but this is one of my favorite topics. The classic one that broke the glass was Bias by Bernard Goldberg but it started further back in the 90s. Fox News launched under Ailes in 1996. That was probably the clearest starting line. It also lines up 2 years after the Contract with America. The launch off point for the decline of the GOP. For many of us, it has been slowly boiling us most of our adult lives.
Kurth

Post by Kurth »

LordMortis wrote: Mon Nov 16, 2020 5:09 pm
:clap: First thing I thought of!
Just 'cause you feel it, doesn't mean it's there -- Radiohead
Do you believe me? Do you trust me? Do you like me? 😳
Kurth

Post by Kurth »

Holman wrote: Mon Nov 16, 2020 11:02 am Just saw the stat that some 70% of Republicans believe this election was fraudulent.

At at certain point it doesn't matter what the elites believe. The narrative sets the culture and shapes the next generation of politicians.

I'm not substantively challenging that a lot of Republicans may believe this election was fraudulent (although I'm also not convinced of the magnitude), but I'm curious where you saw that stat.

I imagine it's based on polling. Would love to know what firm did the poll and what their methodology was. My default position from this election onward is that polling is fundamentally broken. Technology has left it behind, and it's not worth shit in its current form.
Just 'cause you feel it, doesn't mean it's there -- Radiohead
Do you believe me? Do you trust me? Do you like me? 😳
Holman

Post by Holman »

Kurth wrote: Mon Nov 16, 2020 5:35 pm
Holman wrote: Mon Nov 16, 2020 11:02 am Just saw the stat that some 70% of Republicans believe this election was fraudulent.

I'm not substantively challenging that a lot of Republicans may believe this election was fraudulent (although I'm also not convinced of the magnitude), but I'm curious where you saw that stat.

I imagine it's based on polling. Would love to know what firm did the poll and what their methodology was. My default position from this election onward is that polling is fundamentally broken. Technology has left it behind, and it's not worth shit in its current form.
Politico/Morning Consult poll.
After the presidential race was called for Democratic candidate Joe Biden, Republicans’ trust in the election system plummeted, while Democrats’ trust soared, according to a new POLITICO/Morning Consult poll.

Multiple new organizations announced Biden as the election winner on Saturday after four days of counting in several swing states. Following the news, 70 percent of Republicans now say they don’t believe the 2020 election was free and fair, a stark rise from the 35 percent of GOP voters who held similar beliefs before the election. Meanwhile, trust in the election system grew for Democrats, many who took to the streets to celebrate Biden’s victory on Saturday. Ninety percent of Democrats now say the election was free and fair, up from 52 percent before Nov. 3 who thought it would be.
More numbers at the link.