Crusader Kings III - The Sequel You Have Been Waiting For

If it's a video game it goes here.

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, Arcanis, $iljanus

jztemple2

Crusader Kings III - The Sequel You Have Been Waiting For

Post by jztemple2 »

Crusader Kings III (Steam link) is supposed to be released on September 1st, so I guess it is time to start getting aboard the hype train! I'm starting this thread as I think it is time to do so rather than just adding items to the old CK2 thread.

Just to fill out this first post a bit, I'll repost some info provided by Max Peck:
And also my own post that had a link to the CK3 FAQ - Developer Diaries, Questions from the Community, Dev Answers and Important Information

Finally, there is the first video in a introductory series from Paradox, released today:
My father said that anything is interesting if you bother to read about it - Michael C. Harrold
El Guapo

Re: Crusader Kings III - The Sequel You Have Been Waiting For

Post by El Guapo »

This is well situated to be the next game that I buy, play for 15 minutes, and then never find the time to play again.
Black Lives Matter.
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

Holy Crap. September was forever away just yesterday, wasn't it? I'll be tempted by this. Not sure what that means yet. I guess part of it will depend on the release pricing.
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

LordMortis wrote: Mon Aug 03, 2020 11:48 am Holy Crap. September was forever away just yesterday, wasn't it? I'll be tempted by this. Not sure what that means yet. I guess part of it will depend on the release pricing.
Green Man Gaming is offering a 12% discount, so $43.99 USD for the standard edition.

Funny how you mention September being forever away, my wife and I were just talking about how slow this year has been going by.
My father said that anything is interesting if you bother to read about it - Michael C. Harrold
Pyperkub

Post by Pyperkub »

If you buy it (especially at launch), you'll constantly be waiting for the DLC to make it the sequel you want.
Black Lives definitely Matter Lorini!

Also: There are three ways to not tell the truth: lies, damned lies, and statistics.
Pyperkub

Post by Pyperkub »

El Guapo wrote: Mon Aug 03, 2020 11:45 am This is well situated to be the next game that I buy, play for 15 minutes, and then never find the time to play again.
But constantly eyeing the 100's of DLC packages for "shiny" moments and then decide you want to play it, but only with DLC so you get the full experience, spend about the same amount you paid to buy it on DLC, and then only play for 15 minutes again.
Black Lives definitely Matter Lorini!

Also: There are three ways to not tell the truth: lies, damned lies, and statistics.
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

Pyperkub wrote: Mon Aug 03, 2020 12:23 pm If you buy it (especially at launch), you'll constantly be waiting for the DLC to make it the sequel you want.
I'm of mixed minds on this. I know that is baked in to Paradox model but I also know that in 2 years, they'll have a ton of DLC and the price won't have dropped and then I won't want the game based on the price point for everything. Whereas buying now, and getting the DLC that looks good as you go (usually behind one or two releases to catch sales), I don't feel too jilted. I did this for Stallaris and Surviving Mars and BattleTech and I don't feel jilted at any of those purchases.
Octavious

Post by Octavious »

I just hope this one is easier to get into. I really liked the 2nd one, but it's not something you can just pick up and play. It's just too much for my ADD brain. :lol:
Capitalism tries for a delicate balance: It attempts to work things out so that everyone gets just enough stuff to keep them from getting violent and trying to take other people’s stuff.

Shameless plug for my website: www.nettphoto.com
Paradroid

Post by Paradroid »

LordMortis wrote: Mon Aug 03, 2020 12:37 pm I'm of mixed minds on this. I know that is baked in to Paradox model but I also know that in 2 years, they'll have a ton of DLC and the price won't have dropped and then I won't want the game based on the price point for everything. Whereas buying now, and getting the DLC that looks good as you go (usually behind one or two releases to catch sales), I don't feel too jilted. I did this for Stallaris and Surviving Mars and BattleTech and I don't feel jilted at any of those purchases.
That's actually a good way of looking at it. I never tried CK2 multiplayer, I wonder if CK3 will be a good MP game.
I no longer post here.
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

New Developer Diary, Dev Diary #36: Gotta Go Fast, Performance & AI
Good afternoon everyone,

I’m Magne “Meneth” Skjæran, one of the programmers on Crusader Kings 3. You might know me from my work on CK2 and the Paradox Wikis. Of particular relevance today is my work on performance and AI in CK2. Today I’m going to talk about how we’ve worked with these two areas in CK3 to ensure a better game experience than CK2.
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

dbemont

Post by dbemont »

El Guapo wrote: Mon Aug 03, 2020 11:45 am This is well situated to be the next game that I buy, play for 15 minutes, and then never find the time to play again.
Yeah, in terms of most money spent relative to actual entertainment hours, Paradox games are the champs.

Games always sound fascinating, I bite, I play a short time and find them sterile -- typically map painters with little else to enjoy -- so I put the game aside until a couple DLCs come out. Then I hear on forums that the game is now great, so I buy the DLCs, and... can't understand the game at all because of all the changes making documentation and tutorials outdated.

I forecast the same cycle with this game. :roll:
Commish of OOTP online league Dog Days Baseball
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

dbemont wrote: Wed Aug 05, 2020 9:03 am
Yeah, in terms of most money spent relative to actual entertainment hours, Paradox games are the champs.

Games always sound fascinating, I bite, I play a short time and find them sterile -- typically map painters with little else to enjoy -- so I put the game aside until a couple DLCs come out. Then I hear on forums that the game is now great, so I buy the DLCs, and... can't understand the game at all because of all the changes making documentation and tutorials outdated.

I forecast the same cycle with this game. :roll:
I mean, I love their games, it's just that they're generally inconsistent with having a full time job plus kids. If I were in college or whatnot I am sure I would play the hell out of CKIII.
Black Lives Matter.
Paradroid

Post by Paradroid »

They must be doing something right recently. The two PDS games I've enjoyed the most, by far, have been HOI4 and Stellaris. I'm not sure I'd ever play them single player but playing them with my gaming group has been an absolute blast. In fact, our next game is going to be a new game of HOI4 and we're all being Allied powers for a change. :D

For any of you who seriously got into CK2 - is there any indication that CK3 will be a good multiplayer game, or is it better suited to single player?
I no longer post here.
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

Paradroid wrote: Wed Aug 05, 2020 11:56 am For any of you who seriously got into CK2 - is there any indication that CK3 will be a good multiplayer game, or is it better suited to single player?
It is probably too early to know, until someone posts a gameplay video or stream with MP. Hopefully one of those new Introductory videos they have been posting (like the two above) will give more info about multiplayer.

After seeing the first two videos I mentioned, I went ahead and pre-ordered through Green Man Gaming. Instead of a 12%, I used my XP challenge or whatever they are calling it, and the discount increased to 16% :D

For those of you wondering about the CKIII expansions, here is what they have to say in their FAQ:
What kind of content can we expect post-launch?
► Our DLCs will be split between Flavor Packs and Major Expansions.

Flavor Packs - SRP $6.99 USD: in-game content focused on a theme or a region.
Major Expansions - SRP $29.99 USD: larger, meatier expansions with content and mechanics to expand and enrich your experience.
Free Updates: As usual, each Major Expansion will be accompanied by a free update that will provide new features, fixes and changes to improve our players’ experience.

If you are familiar with Paradox Development Studio games, you surely have realized that we will start with a Major Expansion for CK3 at a slightly higher price point than those of our previous titles. This is due to the fact that we want to spend more time on our CK3 expansions and deliver bigger DLCs with better, more exciting content and well-enhanced mechanics.

In-between the Major Expansions, smaller Flavor Packs will be released to add some spice to themes and specific regions of the world and give everyone something to spend your time with.
Which says to me, not as many major expansions, but expect that each will be fairly chock full of content. I'm really liking what I've been seeing in the dev diaries about the new direction they are taking and since I don't have that much to play in September anyway, it will be a good time killer :wink:
Holman

Post by Holman »

Interestingly, EUIV just added a subscription that gives you access to all released DLC for $5 a month. Someone calculated that you could play on that sub for more than four years before you matched paying for each DLC as released.

Obviously EUIV is an older game, but I wonder if we'll see something similar for CK3.
Much prefer my Nazis Nuremberged.
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

Paradox seems like to experiment, like in giving away CKII for free now for over a year. I'm sure they are constantly running numbers to see how these approaches change their bottom line.
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

Another video, captured from yesterday's stream:

jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

Another of the introductory series:

jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

A video from the Kings And Generals YouTube website, documenting the world in 867 AD, one of the two default starting dates in CKIII.

jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

mcdog512

Post by mcdog512 »

I'm looking forward to it although I am in the extreme minority, I seemed to have more fun with CK1. Same with "The Guild", enjoyed the first one over the second.
Kelric

Post by Kelric »

Remind me in 2023 after they release years of patches and updates. :horse:
Max Peck

Post by Max Peck »

Since I'm getting Troy for free today, I've decided to average out my strategy game expenses for late summer, therefore arriving at a de facto 50% discount on CK3. Why wait for a sale when I can create my own!

Both my math and my logic are infallible. Don't @ me... :hand:

<insert Adam Savage meme here>
"What? What? What?" -- The 14th Doctor

It's not enough to be a good player... you also have to play well. -- Siegbert Tarrasch
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

Another in the introductory series. I'm really liking these, they aren't too long as to be off-putting, but there is enough information so I can get into the game quicker when it releases in just over two weeks.

jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

Another of the special Kings and Generals videos that ties into the CKIII world.

jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

Now starting the last set of four introductory videos....

And because I feel like posting it, something my wife surprised me with last month for our pool (I love flamingos. And giraffes)
Godzilla Blitz

Post by Godzilla Blitz »

I'm really excited for this game. Thanks for posting those videos. I'm going to watch the set of them before release.

The individual elements of the game look really fun. I'm hopeful that all the pieces put together make for a fun play experience too.
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

I'm looking forward to the game as well, especially since it looks like there won't be anything else too interesting till later in the fall.

I am hoping that there will be more in the way of tutorials and basic handholding. When I started getting into CKII I was often at a loss to just understand not what I could be doing, but what I should be doing.
Godzilla Blitz

Post by Godzilla Blitz »

Yeah, I remember staring CK2 and staring at the screen and clicking on things for the longest time without knowing where to start. It wasn't until I followed along with a Let's Play that I had any clue what to do first.

And I remember having about 60 hours in the game and feeling, "Okay, I'm starting to understand this now."
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

I normally haven't been posting these Dev Diaries, but this one is kind of fun:

Dev Diary #39: Achievements Showcase
Greetings, dear friends, and welcome to the final pre-release dev diary! Today, we’ll be doing something nice and light, since we know you’re all hyped for the release next month, and couldn’t possibly stand the tension otherwise.

So, with that in mind, let’s have a look at what achievements you can get, and the ways of getting them. As we’re so close to release, we’ll be taking a gander at the full list!

… With apologies in advance for the puns. -_- They forced me to implement them.
One of my favorites:
47. The Emperor’s New Clothes: while holding any empire title, be naked.
Hey, I'm already half way there! :D
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

Freyland

Post by Freyland »

So, sieges are literally nothing more than a countdown timer?
Sims 3 and signature unclear.
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

Freyland wrote: Wed Aug 26, 2020 6:41 pm So, sieges are literally nothing more than a countdown timer?
It was somewhat this way in CKII, but remember there are a lot of modifiers to that timer. Also events can happen that change the timer or even reset it. The timer isn't that unusual in that sieges of this period often would have a predicted length, based on experience and knowledge of the enemy and your own forces.
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

To continue the thought, the famed French engineer Vauban would say that not only could he predict the successful outcome of a seige to the day, he might be able to predict it to the hour. Surely some exaggeration, but seiges have a great deal of scientific basis. For instance, so many men could dig so many feet of trench in such and such a time.
Freyland

Post by Freyland »

I guess what I mean is it seems lacking in a combat component. I of course respect that a fortification doesn't just roll over (usually), but there doesn't seem to be any martial factors involved, just waiting.
Sims 3 and signature unclear.