Too soon to start thinking about 2024?

For discussion of religion and politics

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, $iljanus

Holman

Re: Too soon to start thinking about 2024?

Post by Holman »

Daehawk wrote: Mon Apr 26, 2021 6:10 pm Nooooo not suspicious at all.
What do you mean? This is about population shifts between states, and it appears that the gain in Red states was actually a little less than some demographers expected.

(As Boomers retire from the work force, some tend to move south for sunnier climes, and this accounts for population gains in the Sun Belt vs the Midwest and the Mid-Atlantic.)
Much prefer my Nazis Nuremberged.
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

This is why Florida Man did not want to count everybody.
Jaymann
]==(:::::::::::::>
Black Lives Matter
malchior

Post by malchior »

I actually suspect COVID "helped" a little here. It prevented or changed the time lines for migrations that would have otherwise changed the results perhaps.
Defiant

Post by Defiant »

malchior wrote: Mon Apr 26, 2021 6:56 pm I actually suspect COVID "helped" a little here. It prevented or changed the time lines for migrations that would have otherwise changed the results perhaps.
Except in New York, where it obviously brought the totals down more than 89 people. I wonder who would have lost a seat if New York hadn't made the cut?
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Wow, NJ is getting...denser.

NJ's official 2020 population is 9.29 million. That's higher than at least I expected, and an example of why we need to stop citing the United Van Lines survey. The 2019 Census estimate was 8.82 million.

While the 2019 ACS did a decent job estimating population overall, they clearly got it WAY off in a few states, specifically NJ, NY, RI, and AZ, leading to the massive surprises in apportionment we saw today.
Maybe next year, maybe no go
malchior

Post by malchior »

Smoove_B wrote: Mon Apr 26, 2021 9:17 pmWow, NJ is getting...denser.
Guess we need even more police chiefs and fire chiefs and Administrators all making significantly more than the citizen's do. Cynical joking aside I'm luckily not feeling any of that expansion down here in my environs but it is only a matter of time.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Chris Christie trying to appeal to the cult, delivers his opinion:
Sean Hannity asked the former New Jersey governor what grade he would give Trump’s presidency.

“Overall I give the president an A,” Christie said.

Without directly referencing the riots or election attacks directly, Christie went on to say, “There were some things that happened specifically at the end of the presidency that I think had some things that clouded his accomplishments, and that’s why we as a party need to emphasize the issues you just talked about.”

Christie told Hannity he’s not ruling out a presidential run in 2024, and continued to say President Joe Biden is a liar.
The only thing worse than sack of shit Trump is sack of shit Christie. Feel free to CC this over in the Defining the 21st Century Republican Party thread as well. Degenerate cultists.

Also, F Sean Hannity.
malchior

Post by malchior »

Why not give the worst President in history an A? "Clouded his achievements"?!? Trump tried to steal an election and end our democracy! Christie really is an abysmal self-serving sack of shit. Fuck this shit. I'm so sick of these gaslighting monsters.
Holman

Post by Holman »

Smoove_B wrote: Sat May 01, 2021 9:42 pm
Even Christie doesn't believe this.

The "overall" says it all. It implies a compromise between significant positives and significant negatives.

"Overall, I give this student the highest possible grade." Hear how nonsensical that sounds?
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

The biggest threat to American democracy is simply that the current rules make prolonged minority rule fairly likely.

Democrats won a chance to rectify that, but are not prioritizing it.

Suppose Democrats match their 1998 vote share? Well they’ll lose the House.

Then suppose the economy, while still fine, is definitely slowing down by 2024 so Biden wins the popular vote by “only” 2.5 points.

They’ll lose the senate and White House.
Carpet_pissr

Post by Carpet_pissr »

Smoove_B wrote: Sat May 01, 2021 9:42 pm Chris Christie trying to appeal to the cult, delivers his opinion:
Sean Hannity asked the former New Jersey governor what grade he would give Trump’s presidency.

Without directly referencing the riots or election attacks directly, Christie went on to say, “There were some things that happened specifically at the end of the presidency that I think had some things that clouded his accomplishments, and that’s why we as a party need to emphasize the issues you just talked about.”

Christie told Hannity he’s not ruling out a presidential run in 2024, and continued to say President Joe Biden is a liar.
The only thing worse than sack of shit Trump is sack of shit Christie. Feel free to CC this over in the Defining the 21st Century Republican Party thread as well. Degenerate cultists.

Also, F Sean Hannity.
OK, I think it's high time we play "Rank the Self-serving Twats" in terms of awfulness. There has been and continues to be way too much sloppy finger-pointing at various political monsters as THE WORST. Let's clarify this shit right here and now.

RANK! (List is just off the top of the head, and my personal ranking, 1 being worst)

12. Chris Christie
11. Kevin McCarthy
10.Jim Jordan
9. Josh Hawley
8. Matt Gaetz
7. Lindsey Fucking Graham
6. Marjorie Taylor Green
5. Cucker Tarlson
4. Sean Hannity
3. Mitch McConnell
2. Ted Cruz
1. Donald Trump

I could be swayed to remove Gingrich from the list since he's not really current, or that active (at least openly). But since he's SUCH a huge twat, politically speaking, I thought he earned at least a shout out.

Edit: Gingrich removed, replaced with Cucker. List re-ordered for the whiners and people with normal brains! :roll: :P

FWIW I struggled mightily with the position of 2 and 3. Those really could be interchangeable. And LFG seems WAY too high on the list. How could that shitbird only be ranked 7th here?! Just shows you the strength and quality of the names on the list.
Last edited by Carpet_pissr on Thu May 06, 2021 3:33 pm, edited 4 times in total.
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

Carpet_pissr wrote: Thu May 06, 2021 3:23 pm
Smoove_B wrote: Sat May 01, 2021 9:42 pm Chris Christie trying to appeal to the cult, delivers his opinion:

Also, F Sean Hannity.
OK, I think it's high time we play "Rank the Self-serving Twats" in terms of awfulness. There has been and continues to be way too much sloppy finger-pointing at various political monsters as THE WORST. Let's clarify this shit right here and now.

RANK! (List is just off the top of the head, and my personal ranking, 1 being worst)

11. Chris Christie
6. Lindsey Fucking Graham
1. Donald Trump
4. Sean Hannity
3. Mitch McConnell
5. Marjorie Q. Taylor Green
12. Newt Gingrich
7.Matt Gaetz
2. Ted Cruz
10. Kevin McCarthy
8. Josh Hawley
9.Jim Jordan
First, you can't make a list like that and then not put them in order. What the hell, man?

Second, where does Fucker Carlson rank?
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
Carpet_pissr

Post by Carpet_pissr »

coopasonic wrote: Thu May 06, 2021 3:25 pm
Carpet_pissr wrote: Thu May 06, 2021 3:23 pm

Also, F Sean Hannity.

11. Chris Christie
6. Lindsey Fucking Graham
1. Donald Trump
4. Sean Hannity
3. Mitch McConnell
5. Marjorie Q. Taylor Green
12. Newt Gingrich
7.Matt Gaetz
2. Ted Cruz
10. Kevin McCarthy
8. Josh Hawley
9.Jim Jordan
First, you can't make a list like that and then not put them in order. What the hell, man?

Second, where does Fucker Carlson rank?
DAMN IT! I knew I was missing someone big. THANK YOU. Fixing. FIXED
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

In case you were wondering whether or not Chris Christie is still a sack of trash masquerading as a human:

After calling Trump a conspiracist who is hurting the party and the nation, Christie said that in 2024 “he would not rule out supporting the former president if he saw no path for himself.”
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

"if he saw no path for himself."

Ok, maybe he is an idiot (as well as a shitbag).
Black Lives Matter.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Hey Chris - GFY

Wallace: The book is about conspiracy and lies and you really don’t take on Fox News, why not? Have you seen The Tucker Carlson show?
Christie: No I don’t watch it
Wallace: Are you aware of what he does?
Christie: Not really
malchior

Post by malchior »

Fucking coward. Also props to the MSM which has been carpet bombing Christie spots all week. Are you a political figurehead? Have a book to sell and no soul? Well golly the big cable news outlwts has 30 minutes spots ready for you several times a day. :x
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

The 24-hour news cycle demands input.
It's almost as if people are the problem.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Couldn't have happened to a nicer guy.

Turns out no one wants to read the bridgegate guys hot takes
Sold ~2300 copies in the first week. Now go away.
malchior

Post by malchior »

And that was after he went on a blitz where every cable outlet in the country featured him over and over. Hilarious.
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

Is Christie worse at politics than I would have thought? There's no market for this kind of "one foot in both camps" shit that he's trying to pull. Either go full MAGA or fully break with Trump and give some useful behind-the-scenes info.
Black Lives Matter.
malchior

Post by malchior »

El Guapo wrote: Mon Nov 29, 2021 12:41 pm Is Christie worse at politics than I would have thought?
I don't think it is bad at politics. He was very effective in NJ despite (or maybe due to) his serious ethical lapses. He moved the needle on several issues despite walking in what should have been a hostile environment for him to succeed in.
There's no market for this kind of "one foot in both camps" shit that he's trying to pull. Either go full MAGA or fully break with Trump and give some useful behind-the-scenes info.
I think it sort of looks like what passes for cognitive dissonance in the GOP. He is a shameless opportunist who knows where he needs to go. He has dabbled in it at times but he can't quite commit to a soul-draining dive into the massive cesspool where the several levers of power are being wielded right now in his party.

He was hoping to spark/find something that doesn't really exist - a pocket of reasonable people still in the GOP. That is 100% not surprising but I welcome any evidence that might convince the increasingly delusional 'very serious people' that the GOP isn't a reasonable party and a counterbalance to the Democrats.
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

Even my crummy book outranked (~# 10k) Christie's in the first week. :lol:
Jaymann
Black Lives Matter
Octavious

Post by Octavious »

Few things make me happier than seeing Christie fail. I mean that's really got to hurt. :lol:
Capitalism tries for a delicate balance: It attempts to work things out so that everyone gets just enough stuff to keep them from getting violent and trying to take other people’s stuff.

Shameless plug for my website: www.nettphoto.com
Little Raven

Post by Little Raven »

Harris-Buttigieg, anyone?
If Biden does run, as an incumbent, he has an advantage. But if he chooses not to, that doesn't mean Democrats are doomed.

A primary campaign between Harris and Buttigieg could pit two key Democratic constituencies against each other: African Americans, particularly African American women, and LGBTQ voters. The impact of that fight would be even worse if it began in 2023 and took over the second half of Biden's current term.

Fortunately, this is a problem that can be easily solved without either politician having to give up anything lasting. Harris and Buttigieg instead could agree that, if Biden does not run again, they would run together in 2024, with Harris the nominee for president and Buttigieg for vice-president. This could put an end to whatever feuding exists between them now, while giving the Democratic Party a very strong ticket in 2024 that would seem like a natural continuation of Biden's first term.

A Harris-Buttigieg ticket would showcase two dynamic politicians and represent the breadth and diversity of the Democratic Party, and indeed the whole country, while not veering too far left and alienating key swing voters who Biden won in 2020.
/. "She climbed backwards out her
\/ window into Outside Over There."
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

Biden's running for reelection in 2024 unless he suffers some major health setback that prevents it. All this speculation that he'll decide not to is 95% silly.
Black Lives Matter.
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

Little Raven wrote: Mon Nov 29, 2021 2:49 pm Harris-Buttigieg, anyone?
If Biden does run, as an incumbent, he has an advantage. But if he chooses not to, that doesn't mean Democrats are doomed.

A primary campaign between Harris and Buttigieg could pit two key Democratic constituencies against each other: African Americans, particularly African American women, and LGBTQ voters. The impact of that fight would be even worse if it began in 2023 and took over the second half of Biden's current term.

Fortunately, this is a problem that can be easily solved without either politician having to give up anything lasting. Harris and Buttigieg instead could agree that, if Biden does not run again, they would run together in 2024, with Harris the nominee for president and Buttigieg for vice-president. This could put an end to whatever feuding exists between them now, while giving the Democratic Party a very strong ticket in 2024 that would seem like a natural continuation of Biden's first term.

A Harris-Buttigieg ticket would showcase two dynamic politicians and represent the breadth and diversity of the Democratic Party, and indeed the whole country, while not veering too far left and alienating key swing voters who Biden won in 2020.
No thank you. This is a last stand and that's not a winning ticket.
" Hey OP, listen to my advice alright." -Tha General
"No scientific discovery is named after its original discoverer." -Stigler's Law of Eponymy, discovered by Robert K. Merton

MYT
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

LawBeefaroni wrote: Mon Nov 29, 2021 3:03 pm No thank you. This is a last stand and that's not a winning ticket.
mAyBe tHeY nEeD mOrE pRoGrEsSiVeS?

Not only is it not a winning ticket I defy anyone to think of one that would readily defeat the shenanigans the GOP are going to pull in 2024.
malchior

Post by malchior »

I saw this discussion and I can't fathom it. Some Democrats are floating trial balloons that aren't even feasible in the margins.
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

[Trent Steel]
No Chance. NO CHANCE.
[/Trent Steel]

Harris/AOC on the other hand...
Jaymann
Black Lives Matter
Holman

Post by Holman »

This is coming on top of insider rumors that the plan is to sideline Harris by appointing her to the Supreme Court.

I'm pretty sure nobody knows anything.
Drazzil

Post by Drazzil »

Sounds positively Hillaryesque. Lots of bad reasons not to vote for this ticket. Some pretty good ones too. Harris is a cop, and right wing. Pro establishment. Add to all that, Biden froze her out so she's not really doing anything except standing by for a flight which may never take off.

Buttigieg is no better. He has a position at transport he is utterly unqualified for, will have very little say in day to day operations. At the end of the day also pro establishment, A lot of people from the town Buttigieg ran don't seem to like the job he did.

I have to admit the first thing I thought when I saw this ticket was "Wouldn't be the first time I threw away a vote"
Daehawk wrote:Thats Drazzil's chair damnit.
Drazzil

Post by Drazzil »

Jaymann wrote: Mon Nov 29, 2021 6:02 pm

[Trent Steel]
No Chance. NO CHANCE.
[/Trent Steel]

Harris/AOC on the other hand...
Bernie/AOC

Edit for:

As long as we're throwing out dreamboat tickers here: Turner/AoC
Drazzil

Post by Drazzil »

Holman wrote: Mon Nov 29, 2021 6:47 pm This is coming on top of insider rumors that the plan is to sideline Harris by appointing her to the Supreme Court.

I'm pretty sure nobody knows anything.
Why does Biden dislike Harris so?
YellowKing

Post by YellowKing »

I'm already prepping for Trump 2.0 if Harris runs. She's not even a popular VICE president, and that's even with nobody hearing from her.
malchior

Post by malchior »

YellowKing wrote: Tue Nov 30, 2021 8:41 am I'm already prepping for Trump 2.0 if Harris runs. She's not even a popular VICE president, and that's even with nobody hearing from her.
No one hearing from her is potentially as much as problem as hearing too much. What we've heard though is not great especially the infighting in the VP's office. I suspect she is just trying to survive having little power to control her own fate in a situation where it is impossible to succeed. Biden has been assigning her to impossible tasks considering our political dysfunction. Her first two tasks were immigration and voting rights? Two things squarely resting with a forever broken Congress.

There also isn't much outlook that would indicate future improvement either. The fallout from all of this will be one of her biggest problems in a 2024 where Biden isn't running. On top, the last two years of Biden's term are shaping up to be a raucous mess after the mid-terms. I also still can't help but wonder if Biden will be vengeance impeached the year after next which would hurt her.
Carpet_pissr

Post by Carpet_pissr »

El Guapo wrote: Mon Nov 29, 2021 2:55 pm Biden's running for reelection in 2024 unless he suffers some major health setback that prevents it. All this speculation that he'll decide not to is 95% silly.
Bookmarked for future Nelsoning. :P

FWIW I consider advanced physiological deterioration a major health setback.
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

Carpet_pissr wrote: Tue Nov 30, 2021 11:50 am
El Guapo wrote: Mon Nov 29, 2021 2:55 pm Biden's running for reelection in 2024 unless he suffers some major health setback that prevents it. All this speculation that he'll decide not to is 95% silly.
Bookmarked for future Nelsoning. :P

FWIW I consider advanced physiological deterioration a major health setback.
I mean, at his age going by actuarial tables the risk of a major health setback isn't trivial, and the line here can be a little fuzzy. But if he's essentially in the same condition in 2023 as he is now, he's running. It'd be crazy to forego the benefits of incumbency and being a safe white older christian guy (plus avoiding primary infighting) going into the battles of 2024.
Black Lives Matter.
Carpet_pissr

Post by Carpet_pissr »

LawBeefaroni wrote: Mon Nov 29, 2021 3:03 pm No thank you. This is a last stand and that's not a winning ticket.
This.

Harris is wildly unpopular, and it doesn’t really matter why. (Unless it’s something that could be easily fixed with increased coverage that she’s not currently getting).

She wasn’t that popular when she ran for the whole banana.

If this rumor is true:
1. Makes me wonder if the powers that be that ‘create’ the ticket are really pulling for the Democrats.
2. The irony of such a conservative, boring pick is delicious
3. The lack of creativity is astounding and disturbing, considering the stakes of losing. I’m not sure we don’t need a Hail Mary ticket at this point. No idea what that would look like.
4. On a positive note, she’s not within 20 years of being 100 years old
Little Raven

Post by Little Raven »

We cannot possibly be seriously considering running an 82 year old man for President. That’s either severe civic negligence or elder abuse. Possibly both.
/. "She climbed backwards out her
\/ window into Outside Over There."