Too soon to start thinking about 2024?

For discussion of religion and politics

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, $iljanus

stimpy

Re: Too soon to start thinking about 2024?

Post by stimpy »

I'm calling it now that there is no way Trump runs again.
I think y'all can relax and start disparaging DeSantis, the most likely front runner.
He/Him/His/Porcupine
Carpet_pissr

Post by Carpet_pissr »

I'll take that bet, EXCEPTING massive criminal charges, death, or very serious illness.
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

Carpet_pissr wrote: Thu Jan 27, 2022 2:52 pm I'll take that bet, EXCEPTING massive criminal charges, death, or very serious illness.
I would as well. Assuming that Trump is healthy, I'd say there's a 90% chance that he runs (and an 89.99% chance that he's the GOP nominee). There are really only two things that give me pause:

(1) a few formerly close Trump confidants (Michael Cohen and a few others) say that they don't think he will for fear of being branded a "loser";
(2) if I'm Ron DeSantis, I 100% make an offer to Trump that says essentially: "You don't run and endorse me for president instead. In exchange, I'll praise you to the high hills, protect you from any criminal prosecutions, and give you free reign for any corrupt activities, *and* you don't have to do any of the work of campaigning or being president. Which I would think would be a pretty tempting offer.
Black Lives Matter.
Carpet_pissr

Post by Carpet_pissr »

El Guapo wrote: Thu Jan 27, 2022 2:58 pm
Carpet_pissr wrote: Thu Jan 27, 2022 2:52 pm I'll take that bet, EXCEPTING massive criminal charges, death, or very serious illness.
I would as well. Assuming that Trump is healthy, I'd say there's a 90% chance that he runs (and an 89.99% chance that he's the GOP nominee). There are really only two things that give me pause:

(1) a few formerly close Trump confidants (Michael Cohen and a few others) say that they don't think he will for fear of being branded a "loser";
(2) if I'm Ron DeSantis, I 100% make an offer to Trump that says essentially: "You don't run and endorse me for president instead. In exchange, I'll praise you to the high hills, protect you from any criminal prosecutions, and give you free reign for any corrupt activities, *and* you don't have to do any of the work of campaigning or being president. Which I would think would be a pretty tempting offer.
Hmm, ok, 2) is very very interesting, but that ego! He's GOTTA have the limelight....I think I still have to bet on the ego winning here.
Octavious

Post by Octavious »

He will only run if he 100% knows he will win. Which means if he thinks he has enough people in enough places to push things in his favor. Which I mean he very well might have by then. Please just let him die... :P
Capitalism tries for a delicate balance: It attempts to work things out so that everyone gets just enough stuff to keep them from getting violent and trying to take other people’s stuff.

Shameless plug for my website: www.nettphoto.com
YellowKing

Post by YellowKing »

I'm not sure I totally buy #1 considering:

A) He ran in 2016 with the very real chance he could be potentially branded a loser
B) He now has his base believing any loss is the result of election fraud

Can't be branded a loser if your opponent stole the election from you. And he will be laying that groundwork the instant he starts campaigning.
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

YellowKing wrote: Thu Jan 27, 2022 3:30 pm I'm not sure I totally buy #1 considering:

A) He ran in 2016 with the very real chance he could be potentially branded a loser

Can't be branded a loser if your opponent stole the election from you. And he will be laying that groundwork the instant he starts campaigning.
He had the stolen election narrative as his backstop in 2016 as well once he secured the GOP nomination. Before that, yeah, if he hadn't stolen the show, I think the risk was there. Though there was a period in the primaries where he had already weaponized a following which I can't imagine he would have let go as "a loser."
Carpet_pissr

Post by Carpet_pissr »

To be clear, ANYtime he does something, or somethign happens TO him that would appear to any sane person to be "losing", he's going to find a way to nullify it, turn it, or simply plug his ears and shout NAAA NAA NAAAA!

So I also am not sure he has a fear of losing because in HIS world, and the way he manipulates that world, he can't. Even if he does, his warped brain will find a way to manipulate it so that he and his acolytes can process the loss.

I didn't LOSE, because he cheated!
My hotel didn't FAIL because of my choices, it was THOSE things that I had nothing to do with!

He can do that alllllll day. And probably does.
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

YellowKing wrote: Thu Jan 27, 2022 3:30 pm I'm not sure I totally buy #1 considering:

I don't really either. The only thing that gives me some pause is that Michael Cohen obviously knows Trump a lot better than I do. And one or two others that have been close to him have said similar things.

Doesn't mean they're right, of course. But I take the argument marginally more seriously as a result.
Black Lives Matter.
Defiant

Post by Defiant »

:grund:
malchior

Post by malchior »

Susan Collins is shitty? Who knew. Beyond confirming she is terrible - it really indicates that even "moderates" in the GOP may be going into this without a hint of good faith. It isn't a surprise but I expect the media to treat them like they have real objections despite moments like this.
Formix

Post by Formix »

malchior wrote: Sun Jan 30, 2022 5:18 pm Susan Collins is shitty? Who knew.
I think the word you're looking for is politician, not shitty. This just further underscores the idea that a politician's job is to get re-elected, nothing else. And if the Trumpaloos are what get you re-elected, then let's cozy up with the Mangerine.
malchior

Post by malchior »

Nope I used the right word. She is a shitheel. A subset of politicians that are full of shit. Some are shitty. Many are not. She is one who is especially shitty because she plays at not being shitty but is amongst the shittiest.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

If you vote to vote impeach a president then turn around and say you don’t know if you’d support their attempt at another term, you have zero integrity.
Covfefe!
malchior

Post by malchior »

I mean the things she said the last few days? That the Senate shouldn't rush to fill a seat for a 'lifetime appointment'. Or that Biden committing to a Black Woman was 'clumsy at best'. Lindsay Graham of all people showed some courage on that front. In other words, she is a huge hypocrite of the worst sort. She plays at being moderate but it is a complete façade. Politicians lie but at some point you have to stand for something and like Hepcat said...she has zero integrity.
Carpet_pissr

Post by Carpet_pissr »

I'll ask it again: who is shittier, Susan Collins, or Lindsey Fucking Graham?

I still say Graham, but Collins is creeping up on him.
stessier

Post by stessier »

Graham is pretty horrible. I haven't followed Collins enough to compare.
I require a reminder as to why raining arcane destruction is not an appropriate response to all of life's indignities. - Vaarsuvius
Global Steam Wishmaslist Tracking
Running____2014: 1300.55 miles____2015: 2036.13 miles____2016: 1012.75 miles____2017: 1105.82 miles____2018: 1318.91 miles__2019: 2000.00 miles
Octavious

Post by Octavious »

Graham for sure. He became a super champion of Trump during his term. I still think Trump must have had dirt on him as I just don't understand how he flipped so hard to the other side. That and the Supreme Court nonsense where he pledged to not vote on a person during an election year. Until well of course he did. :P
Capitalism tries for a delicate balance: It attempts to work things out so that everyone gets just enough stuff to keep them from getting violent and trying to take other people’s stuff.

Shameless plug for my website: www.nettphoto.com
malchior

Post by malchior »

It's Collins IMO. Graham is pretty shitty but he generally says the shitty things out loud at least. Collins pretends to not be shitty, dangles the possibility of not being shitty, but almost always ends up doing shitty things. Then she hems and haws about how reluctant she was to do the shitty thing and then jumps on any opportunity to equivocate on the shitty behavior when done by the other party. She is a snake made out of shit while Graham is more of a solid turd.
Kurth

Post by Kurth »

+1 that Collins is shitty, even more than Graham.

Hepcat is right: If you vote to impeach a President because he tried to stage a coup, you have no basis to say you may support his candidacy for reelection . . . unless you're just shitty. Which she is.
Just 'cause you feel it, doesn't mean it's there -- Radiohead
Do you believe me? Do you trust me? Do you like me? 😳
Alefroth

Post by Alefroth »

Carpet_pissr wrote: Mon Jan 31, 2022 11:17 am I'll ask it again: who is shittier, Susan Collins, or Lindsey Fucking Graham?
What day is it?
Alefroth

Post by Alefroth »

Carpet_pissr wrote: Mon Jan 31, 2022 11:17 am Lindsey Fucking Graham?
So THAT'S what LFG stands for.
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

malchior wrote: Mon Jan 31, 2022 8:42 am I mean the things she said the last few days? That the Senate shouldn't rush to fill a seat for a 'lifetime appointment'. Or that Biden committing to a Black Woman was 'clumsy at best'. Lindsay Graham of all people showed some courage on that front. In other words, she is a huge hypocrite of the worst sort. She plays at being moderate but it is a complete façade. Politicians lie but at some point you have to stand for something and like Hepcat said...she has zero integrity.
What did Graham say?
Black Lives Matter.
malchior

Post by malchior »

El Guapo wrote: Mon Jan 31, 2022 2:17 pm
malchior wrote: Mon Jan 31, 2022 8:42 am I mean the things she said the last few days? That the Senate shouldn't rush to fill a seat for a 'lifetime appointment'. Or that Biden committing to a Black Woman was 'clumsy at best'. Lindsay Graham of all people showed some courage on that front. In other words, she is a huge hypocrite of the worst sort. She plays at being moderate but it is a complete façade. Politicians lie but at some point you have to stand for something and like Hepcat said...she has zero integrity.
What did Graham say?
He basically said that Biden was free to name a black woman to SCOTUS. He specifically said it wasn't affirmative action and would reflect what America looks like. He went on to talk highly about one of the candidates being bandied (Childs).

Between the lines I also heard - nominate Childs and you won't have a deadlock on the judiciary - but that is a fuzzy read at best.
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

malchior wrote: Mon Jan 31, 2022 2:19 pm
What did Graham say?
He basically said that Biden was free to name a black woman to SCOTUS. He specifically said it wasn't affirmative action and would reflect what America looks like. He went on to talk highly about one of the candidates being bandied (Childs).

Between the lines I also heard - nominate Childs and you won't have a deadlock on the judiciary - but that is a fuzzy read at best.
ah, I was trying to figure out why Graham would be talking up Childs specifically. I guess it's because she's from South Carolina.
Black Lives Matter.
ImLawBoy
Forum Admin

Post by ImLawBoy »

El Guapo wrote: Mon Jan 31, 2022 2:34 pm
malchior wrote: Mon Jan 31, 2022 2:19 pm
What did Graham say?

ah, I was trying to figure out why Graham would be talking up Childs specifically. I guess it's because she's from South Carolina.
I can't help but be suspicious, though. Like she's going to get sworn in, then rip off her mask to reveal we've just seated the zombified corpse of Strom Thurmond to the SCOTUS.
That's my purse! I don't know you!
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

I get that. I'd be more worried about picking Childs in the hopes of getting Graham or other Republicans to vote to confirm, only to have them immediately switch to denouncing her as a demon spawn from hell the day after the pick is announced.
Black Lives Matter.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Alefroth wrote: Mon Jan 31, 2022 2:14 pm
Carpet_pissr wrote: Mon Jan 31, 2022 11:17 am Lindsey Fucking Graham?
So THAT'S what LFG stands for.
:lol:
Covfefe!
stessier

Post by stessier »

El Guapo wrote: Mon Jan 31, 2022 3:23 pm I get that. I'd be more worried about picking Childs in the hopes of getting Graham or other Republicans to vote to confirm, only to have them immediately switch to denouncing her as a demon spawn from hell the day after the pick is announced.
If with everyone else it's going to happen regardless - at least this way there is a chance it won't. (note: I know nothing of her qualifications and having Graham on board makes me leery.)
I require a reminder as to why raining arcane destruction is not an appropriate response to all of life's indignities. - Vaarsuvius
Global Steam Wishmaslist Tracking
Running____2014: 1300.55 miles____2015: 2036.13 miles____2016: 1012.75 miles____2017: 1105.82 miles____2018: 1318.91 miles__2019: 2000.00 miles
Carpet_pissr

Post by Carpet_pissr »

Yes, if your spidey sense is not tingling after hearing LFG heaping on praise for this pick, your spidey sense might not be working.

Considerations:
- I only heard most of the interview, not all, but the interviewer kept pushing him ‘ok we get it, you love her as a pick, but will you VOTE for her if it comes to that?’
I never heard him say ‘yes’ to that. Not that it would matter with this lying, slimy pathetic bootlicker.
- this is soooo LFG. Flip-flopper extraordinaire. He has absolutely zero scruples (or pride) so I don’t trust anything he says, I don’t care how enthusiastically he says it.
- since the pick is from SC, maybe he knows her. Maybe has an ‘in’ with her, thinks he can influence her? Who knows. I guess this overt praise could be solely based on her origin, but I doubt it. This guy is a total, proven snake and should be treated and considered as such.
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

Well, another thing is that Biden is very likely to nominate Ketanji Jackson. So maybe Graham figures that if he goes overboard praising Childs, after Biden (probably) picks Jackson, then he can say "oh well I would personally love to vote to confirm the first female black justice, because I'm not racist at all, but you see Biden here picked a radical leftist ANTIFA judge, so regrettably I have no choice but to oppose her confirmation."
Black Lives Matter.
Carpet_pissr

Post by Carpet_pissr »

El Guapo wrote: Mon Jan 31, 2022 7:01 pm Well, another thing is that Biden is very likely to nominate Ketanji Jackson. So maybe Graham figures that if he goes overboard praising Childs, after Biden (probably) picks Jackson, then he can say "oh well I would personally love to vote to confirm the first female black justice, because I'm not racist at all, but you see Biden here picked a radical leftist ANTIFA judge, so regrettably I have no choice but to oppose her confirmation."
At this point, and based on past behavior, he seems to not want or need any cover.
malchior

Post by malchior »

El Guapo wrote: Mon Jan 31, 2022 7:01 pm Well, another thing is that Biden is very likely to nominate Ketanji Jackson. So maybe Graham figures that if he goes overboard praising Childs, after Biden (probably) picks Jackson, then he can say "oh well I would personally love to vote to confirm the first female black justice, because I'm not racist at all, but you see Biden here picked a radical leftist ANTIFA judge, so regrettably I have no choice but to oppose her confirmation."
This is where I'm at. This is why I thought the Childs comments were an offer of sorts for whatever potentially nefarious reasons he has. The weird part is 10 years ago this would have not even raised an eyebrow but he isn't trustworthy/decent now.
Defiant

Post by Defiant »

Obviously way too early, but Trump's poll numbers aren't doing too well:
A January Marquette poll, in fact, found that Biden would best Trump, 53% to 43%, in a hypothetical 2024 rematch.
Reports on politicians' popularity have focused on the dismal ratings for President Joe Biden, whose approval numbers are in the low 40s, worsening an already-challenging midterm election year for Democrats.

But Trump isn't doing any better, surveys show. An Economist/YouGov poll released this week found that Trump had a favorable rating of 40% and an unfavorable rating of 55%. A large portion – 45% – described themselves as "very unfavorable" toward the former president.

That survey also showed marked slippage among groups Trump carried easily in 2020 and would need to shore up a run in 2024. Among voters 45-64 years old – a group exit polls show the former president won, 50% to 49% in 2020 – 57% see the president unfavorably, with 39% viewing him favorably. Among 65-plus voters – a group Trump won, 52% to Biden's 47% in 2020 – more than half (54%) view Trump unfavorably, with 44% seeing the former president favorably. A Morning Consult poll this week found that 60% of voters 65 and older have an unfavorable view of Trump, with 40% having a favorable view.

White male voters without a college degree overwhelmingly supported Trump in 2020, with exit polls showing the Republicans taking that voter group by a 70% to 28% margin. But YouGov's poll found that half of that group see Trump in a favorable light now, with 46% of them disapproving of Trump.

Further, rank-and-file Republicans are moving away from a more direct identification with Trump himself. An NBC poll found that 56% of GOPers describe themselves as supporters of the Republican Party, with 36% saying they are supporters of Trump. That's a reversal from late 2020, when 54% described themselves as supporters of Trump and 38% supporters of the GOP.
https://www.usnews.com/news/the-report/ ... rumps-gain

And, once again, way too early, and it probably won't have much effect on the midterms.
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

"Your guy is worse than our guy!" counts as good news.
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

I'm not sure that much head to head polling matters that much at this point. Biden's overall approval rating (and Democrats vs. Republicans overall numbers) matter a bit but that's about it.
Black Lives Matter.
em2nought

Post by em2nought »

How do you poll fraudulent votes? :lol:
Technically, he shouldn't be here.
Pyperkub

Post by Pyperkub »

Kraken wrote:"Your guy is worse than our guy!" counts as good news.
It looks like it will be "any" of your guys is worse than my guy tho.

Again.

Seriously. DeSantis? Cancun Cruz? Noem? Haley? They will all be trumpers without the Trump by the end of the primary.
Black Lives definitely Matter Lorini!

Also: There are three ways to not tell the truth: lies, damned lies, and statistics.
gbasden

Post by gbasden »

em2nought wrote: Mon Feb 28, 2022 12:03 am How do you poll fraudulent votes? :lol:
You don't need to, because they don't exist outside of a handful of Trump disciples.
Defiant

Post by Defiant »

Under the draft proposal, all four states — and any others interested in jumping before the rest — would need to seek new waivers to hold an early nominating contest. Up to five states would receive waivers, though the proposal does not say whether the states would all vote on the same day or whether their votes would be staggered as they are now.

If the resolution passes, it wouldn't prevent Iowa from applying for a waiver; nor would it directly eliminate caucuses. However, it would make the “ability to run (a) fair, transparent and inclusive primary” one of its core considerations in the waiver process. Iowa is required by state law to hold presidential caucuses.

Other considerations would be a state’s diversity, “including ethnic, geographic (and) union representation,” as well as the state’s general election competitiveness.