Too soon to start thinking about 2024?

For discussion of religion and politics

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, $iljanus

YellowKing

Re: Too soon to start thinking about 2024?

Post by YellowKing »

There are signs of hope. Trump's campaign is not financially sound, and his primary showing still highlighted major weaknesses.

All it would take is a relatively small number of Never Trumpers and Haley die-hards to stay home and the election's over for him. And I expect the Biden campaign will be going on the offensive big-time as we get closer to the election.

I've seen a number of political prognosticators still rather bullish on Biden and saying that the polling is wrong.
Holman

Post by Holman »

YellowKing wrote: Thu Mar 07, 2024 5:54 pm There are signs of hope. Trump's campaign is not financially sound, and his primary showing still highlighted major weaknesses.

All it would take is a relatively small number of Never Trumpers and Haley die-hards to stay home and the election's over for him. And I expect the Biden campaign will be going on the offensive big-time as we get closer to the election.

I've seen a number of political prognosticators still rather bullish on Biden and saying that the polling is wrong.
I've been taking comfort in this kind of news too.

Plus, Trump hasn't really been in the public eye outside of MAGA media. For instance, I get *all* of my Trump sightings through Twitter, and most people don't use Twitter at all. For many Trump-leaning supporters, the race right now is between the Biden we have (warts and all) and the hazy, gauzy Trump they remember from before Covid.

That will change as the election gets closer.
Much prefer my Nazis Nuremberged.
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

YellowKing wrote: Thu Mar 07, 2024 5:54 pm There are signs of hope. Trump's campaign is not financially sound, and his primary showing still highlighted major weaknesses.

There isn't really much reason to think that the polling is wrong. Plus if it's wrong, there's at least as much reason to think that it's understating Trump's vote (since he beat polls in both 2016 and 2020).

It's still fairly early in the race, though. The more optimistic take is that Biden has been in the public eye and under attack for awhile now, while Trump has not been. And that direct exposure of Trump to the public tends to cause his support to go down.
Black Lives Matter.
Alefroth

Post by Alefroth »

Trump has said he'd debate Biden any time. We'll see how that holds up as we get closer to debate time.
Holman

Post by Holman »

El Guapo wrote: Thu Mar 07, 2024 6:26 pm There isn't really much reason to think that the polling is wrong. Plus if it's wrong, there's at least as much reason to think that it's understating Trump's vote (since he beat polls in both 2016 and 2020).
Hasn't he under-performed the polling (sometimes dramatically) in all but one or two GOP primaries this year?

That's against Haley, not Biden, but a very significant number of those Haley voters have declared themselves unwilling to vote Trump.
Much prefer my Nazis Nuremberged.
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

I'm going to watch the SOTU tonight. Ordinarily I'd give it a pass and just read the highlights tomorrow, but this one is being billed (fairly or not) as Biden's best, and possibly last, chance to convince voters that he's still in command of all his marbles. What he says is less important than how well he says it, say the pundits. If he gives a smooth delivery without bungling names or other facts, and if he reacts to heckling in a smart way, that will go a long way toward softening the charges that he's senile and confused.

Since that won't come across in tomorrow's print reports, I'm going to judge for myself.

It starts at 9 p.m. EST if anyone else is interested.
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

Kraken wrote: Thu Mar 07, 2024 8:25 pm I'm going to watch the SOTU tonight. Ordinarily I'd give it a pass and just read the highlights tomorrow, but this one is being billed (fairly or not) as Biden's best, and possibly last, chance to convince voters that he's still in command of all his marbles. What he says is less important than how well he says it, say the pundits. If he gives a smooth delivery without bungling names or other facts, and if he reacts to heckling in a smart way, that will go a long way toward softening the charges that he's senile and confused.

Since that won't come across in tomorrow's print reports, I'm going to judge for myself.

It starts at 9 p.m. EST if anyone else is interested.
I will catch the highlights since it causes me physical pain to watch the Banana Republicans disrespect.
Jaymann
]==(:::::::::::::>
Black Lives Matter
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Damn, Biden is slamming MAGA in the SOTU. He just called out the January 6th insurrectionists, then ended it by yelling that you can’t love America only when you win.

Update: and he went off on the Supreme Court decision on Roe vs Wade. Then the camera cut to the SCOTUS just sitting there. Oof.
He won. Period.
YellowKing

Post by YellowKing »

Yeah Dark Brandon is on fire tonight. He definitely knew this was his moment to shine.

The SC during the Roe v Wade talk looked like a bunch of guilty schoolboys being lectured by their teacher. :lol:
Alefroth

Post by Alefroth »

Carpet_pissr wrote: Thu Mar 07, 2024 3:15 pm
El Guapo wrote: Thu Mar 07, 2024 12:27 pm
I REALLY need to stop watching these. It's too fucking depressing.
Try this one. They don't miss a beat in their flip-flop-

Kraken

Post by Kraken »

Biden is knocking it out of the park. Sharp, engaged, combative. Maybe this will take some air away from the "he's too old" chorus, which was the main objective tonight.
Zenn7

Post by Zenn7 »

That was comical in a scary, we're all f-d way.

EDIT: the debate and switch video above Kraken's comment.
Alefroth

Post by Alefroth »

Kraken wrote: Thu Mar 07, 2024 11:16 pm Biden is knocking it out of the park. Sharp, engaged, combative. Maybe this will take some air away from the "he's too old" chorus, which was the main objective tonight.
I watched some of it and I have to agree, much to my relief.

"I know it may not look like it, but I've been around a while" :D
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

Alefroth wrote: Thu Mar 07, 2024 11:37 pm
Kraken wrote: Thu Mar 07, 2024 11:16 pm Biden is knocking it out of the park. Sharp, engaged, combative. Maybe this will take some air away from the "he's too old" chorus, which was the main objective tonight.

That's why I wanted to watch it myself. By tomorrow morning it will be spun in every direction.
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

Kraken wrote: Thu Mar 07, 2024 11:40 pm

That's why I wanted to watch it myself. By tomorrow morning it will be spun in every direction.
I'm tempted to look for a full video. Did he silence the hecklers?
Jaymann
]==(:::::::::::::>
Black Lives Matter
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

He directly addressed serial adulterer Marjorie Taylor Green when she yelled out the name of the young woman recently killed by an illegal alien by pointing out the bill she and her ilk torpedoed because of their orange god’s fear it would make him look bad might have prevented it.
He won. Period.
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

Jaymann wrote: Fri Mar 08, 2024 12:20 am
Kraken wrote: Thu Mar 07, 2024 11:40 pm

I'm tempted to look for a full video. Did he silence the hecklers?
I would say Yes. He engaged some and ignored others. MTG was obviously spoiling for a fight, clad as she was in MAGA regalia. The appropriate reaction to her is an eye roll, but he did acknowledge her existence once.

One thing I never noticed before: When Kamala Harris stood and/or applauded, all Democrats followed suit. Republicans followed Mike Johnson's cues. There weren't many of those, unless scowling and head-shaking are cues.
naednek

Post by naednek »

This Lady deserved an oscar. Wow that was such an acting jobImage

Sent from my Pixel 7 Pro using Tapatalk

hepcat - "I agree with Naednek"
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Still disappointed in his step back from any marijuana reform of a campaign promise.
--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"
waitingtoconnect

Post by waitingtoconnect »

It was a scary response especially as they put in a kitchen where they obviously think all women belong.

You have to remember that these people know their base, and the base is going to love this. They have rehearsed this and played it to a focus group to make them weep before hand.
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

naednek wrote: Fri Mar 08, 2024 1:29 am This Lady deserved an oscar. Wow that was such an acting job
I didn't watch it because Biden ran so late, which might have been a 4D chess move now that I think about it. She was only preaching to the converted.
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

Daehawk wrote: Fri Mar 08, 2024 1:53 am Still disappointed in his step back from any marijuana reform of a campaign promise.
Weed is already legal in most of the country. Rescheduling or legalizing at the federal level will certainly help the industry, but you need to lean on your backwards state if access is your gripe.
em2nought

Post by em2nought »

hepcat wrote: Fri Mar 08, 2024 12:41 am illegal alien
Glad to see one of you finally using the proper terminology. :wink:
"Four more years!" "Pause." LMAO
Alefroth

Post by Alefroth »

naednek wrote: Fri Mar 08, 2024 1:29 am This Lady deserved an oscar. Wow that was such an acting jobImage

She was clearly acting, but no way was it Oscar worthy. Talk about cringe.
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

hepcat wrote: Thu Mar 07, 2024 10:35 pm Damn, Biden is slamming MAGA in the SOTU. He just called out the January 6th insurrectionists, then ended it by yelling that you can’t love America only when you win.

Update: and he went off on the Supreme Court decision on Roe vs Wade. Then the camera cut to the SCOTUS just sitting there. Oof.
Wish I'da seen that. No highlights on that this morning on CNBC. They just keep showing him damning Putin. RvW needs to be drilled and drilled again and Jan 6th should never be forgotten. :horse: :horse: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

CNBC is highlighting opining Biden's SotU was too much of a campaign speech and not enough of a SotU speech and that he was too busy talking about what's been accomplished and not what is going to be accomplished. :roll: I need to find a different morning news source. Business news used to seem much less partisan that it does nowadays. Their morning show really wants Biden out. Every morning it's about how bad he is.
Grifman

Post by Grifman »

waitingtoconnect wrote: Fri Mar 08, 2024 3:28 am It was a scary response especially as they put in a kitchen where they obviously think all women belong.

You have to remember that these people know their base, and the base is going to love this. They have rehearsed this and played it to a focus group to make them weep before hand.
They failed. Even many Republicans have panned this. And you want a response to reach the uncommitted, not just your base. The response was just awful and cringeworthy. It was a total failure.
Tolerance is the virtue of the man without convictions. – G.K. Chesterton
Grifman

Post by Grifman »

Heh:

hepcat

Post by hepcat »

em2nought wrote: Fri Mar 08, 2024 4:05 am
hepcat wrote: Fri Mar 08, 2024 12:41 am illegal alien
Glad to see one of you finally using the proper terminology. :wink:
Now you trying saying “racist” instead of “anti-woke” or “anti-diversity”. I’d love to see one of you just admit it. :mrgreen:

Anyway, I've been exposed to so much hatred since Trump was shat onto the political stage that it’s hard not to let some of the words he and his sycophantic followers use to dehumanize anyone who isn’t a white male slip into my language now and again. I shouldn’t let myself stoop to that level. Who wants to be a deplorable?

…oh….right. :ninja:
waitingtoconnect wrote: Fri Mar 08, 2024 3:28 am It was a scary response especially as they put in a kitchen where they obviously think all women belong.
Good catch. I didn’t even think of that.
He won. Period.
YellowKing

Post by YellowKing »

I don't know. After the speech I'm still having a difficult time trying to decide whether to vote for the guy that wants to ensure no child goes hungry, or the one that wants to ensure that every child that is raped is forced to give birth. Decisions, decisions!
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

:lol: :lol:
When darkness veils the world, four Warriors of Light shall come.
Exodor

Post by Exodor »

Daehawk wrote: Fri Mar 08, 2024 1:53 am Still disappointed in his step back from any marijuana reform of a campaign promise.
He did mention it briefly
Keep building public trust, as I’ve been doing by taking executive action on police reform, and calling for it to be the law of the land, directing my Cabinet to review the federal classification of marijuana, and expunging thousands of convictions for mere possession, because no one should be jailed for using or possessing marijuana!
Which is great and all but the time for review is past - he could win a lot of points by removing it from Schedule I.
naednek

Post by naednek »

Alefroth wrote:
naednek wrote: Fri Mar 08, 2024 1:29 am This Lady deserved an oscar. Wow that was such an acting jobImage

She was clearly acting, but no way was it Oscar worthy. Talk about cringe.
Sarcasm...

hepcat - "I agree with Naednek"
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Exodor wrote: Fri Mar 08, 2024 10:17 am
He did mention it briefly
Keep building public trust, as I’ve been doing by taking executive action on police reform, and calling for it to be the law of the land, directing my Cabinet to review the federal classification of marijuana, and expunging thousands of convictions for mere possession, because no one should be jailed for using or possessing marijuana!
Which is great and all but the time for review is past - he could win a lot of points by removing it from Schedule I.
Ya he is really on the ball having someone maybe look at it. After 4 f'n years with no progress. So many states have legalized it true but not all . And its not just a matter of poor Daehawk cant get high it comes down to people still in prison and others being arrested daily because of a plant while others say 1 mile over a state line can buy it at that store right there.
--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Biden, Harris to visit every battleground state in March
Biden will travel to New Hampshire on Monday, Wisconsin on Wednesday and Michigan on Thursday, according to the campaign.

Ahead of that, he will visit Pennsylvania on Friday and Georgia on Saturday, directly following his State of the Union address, and more travel to battleground states will be announced throughout the month.

The campaign has deemed March the “I’m on Board” Month of Action, which includes the travel from Biden, Harris and key officials and surrogates, as well efforts to expand volunteer engagement and scale up battleground staff.

The campaign will launch a $30 million six-week advertising spend, which is more spending in six weeks than it did in all of 2023 after the president announced his reelection bid in April.
It's almost as if people are the problem.
Grifman

Post by Grifman »

Britt's response went over so badly that Republicans today are only quoting from it on Twitter/X, not actually sharing videos of the response :)
disarm

Post by disarm »

That "rebuttal" was astonishingly bad. It's hard to believe that someone actually wrote that and thought it was a reasonable "response to the SOTU." Not only was it a horrible bit of acting, but nothing about it was really a response to Biden's address. It was just a collection of Republican campaign talking points regurgitated by someone who apparently aspired to be a soap opera actress before becoming a senator. I'm actually shocked that someone thought that was what they should air after the SOTU. Crazy times...
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

I think politicians have started to realize over the past decade that giving the SOTU is a sucker's job. You just inevitably look small and petty following the guy giving a 60 - 90 minute speech before Congress, plus almost no one sticks around for the rebuttal after the speech. So I think the talent level of the rebuttal speeches has taken a major dive.
Black Lives Matter.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

What, it's not designed to showcase the rising star of the Republicans?
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

Isgrimnur wrote: Fri Mar 08, 2024 5:18 pm What, it's not designed to showcase the rising star of the Republicans?
That's kind of how it was thought of in the past. Now it's more a second-tier affair.
Black Lives Matter.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Did Bobby Jindal ruin it in 2009?