Too soon to start thinking about 2024?

For discussion of religion and politics

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, $iljanus

stessier

Re: Too soon to start thinking about 2024?

Post by stessier »

Victoria Raverna wrote: Tue Mar 05, 2024 8:05 pm It is an option if Biden want to. He can withdraw and endorse someone else. But he is probably too selfish to do that.
I wouldn't term it selfish - more ego. Either way, it's too late. That decision was needed way before the first primary/caucus.
I require a reminder as to why raining arcane destruction is not an appropriate response to all of life's indignities. - Vaarsuvius
Global Steam Wishmaslist Tracking
Running____2014: 1300.55 miles____2015: 2036.13 miles____2016: 1012.75 miles____2017: 1105.82 miles____2018: 1318.91 miles__2019: 2000.00 miles
Victoria Raverna

Post by Victoria Raverna »

stessier wrote: Tue Mar 05, 2024 8:08 pm
Victoria Raverna wrote: Tue Mar 05, 2024 8:05 pm It is an option if Biden want to. He can withdraw and endorse someone else. But he is probably too selfish to do that.
I wouldn't term it selfish - more ego. Either way, it's too late. That decision was needed way before the first primary/caucus.
Why is it too late? If Biden unable to continue tomorrow, Democrats isn't going to have any candidate because it is too late? So Trump is the president if Biden doesn't last until the election?
stessier

Post by stessier »

Victoria Raverna wrote: Tue Mar 05, 2024 8:14 pm
stessier wrote: Tue Mar 05, 2024 8:08 pm
Why is it too late? If Biden unable to continue tomorrow, Democrats isn't going to have any candidate because it is too late? So Trump is the president if Biden doesn't last until the election?
Practically, yes.
I require a reminder as to why raining arcane destruction is not an appropriate response to all of life's indignities. - Vaarsuvius
Running____2014: 1300.55 miles____2015: 2036.13 miles____2016: 1012.75 miles____2017: 1105.82 miles____2018: 1318.91 miles__2019: 2000.00 miles
Alefroth

Post by Alefroth »

Victoria Raverna wrote: Tue Mar 05, 2024 7:53 pm At this point, I think Biden is the only Democrat that can lose to Trump.
That's okay, you've got very little credibility on the issue.
waitingtoconnect

Post by waitingtoconnect »

The time to replace Biden was two years ago. Now we just need to hope his health holds up and polls indicating a 48-42 to trump in the wake of Gaza and the border don’t sink democracy.

In my local circle of idiots trump is more vibrant because he colors his hair. Seriously it’s maddening.
ImLawBoy
Forum Admin

Post by ImLawBoy »

Victoria Raverna wrote: Tue Mar 05, 2024 7:53 pm At this point, I think Biden is the only Democrat that can lose to Trump. He seriously need to step aside and endorse a younger and better candidate if he really want to save US from Trump.
ImLawBoy wrote: Tue Feb 27, 2024 9:49 am
ImLawBoy wrote: Tue Feb 20, 2024 11:05 am Focusing on whether the Ds can find someone better to run against Trump than Biden is missing the point. They aren't going to find someone better because they're not looking. Further, they're not going to look. Barring death or debilitating stroke or something along those lines, the die is cast. Biden is the nominee, full stop. No third party will come to the rescue. No darkhorse D candidate. It's Biden vs. Trump. That's simply reality.

Continuing to focus on his age or whether the Ds can find someone else isn't helpful or productive to getting him reelected.
That's my purse! I don't know you!
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

waitingtoconnect wrote: Tue Mar 05, 2024 10:33 pm In my local circle of idiots trump is more vibrant because he colors his hair. Seriously it’s maddening.
Voters like his swagger and his bluster. They pay more attention to how it's delivered than to what's said.
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

https://www.cnbc.com/2024/03/05/elon-mu ... orida.html
Tesla CEO Elon Musk met with former President Donald Trump on Sunday in Palm Beach, Florida, along with unnamed wealthy Republican donors, the New York Times reported, citing three people briefed on the meeting.

Trump is courting donors as he gears up for a general election campaign against President Joe Biden. It’s not yet clear whether Musk will financially back or endorse Trump and his 2024 campaign.

Musk and a representative for Trump’s campaign didn’t immediately respond to requests for comment.

Private jets belonging to Trump and Musk were spotted landing within less than an hour of one another at a Palm Beach airport on March 2. The jets’ whereabouts were first reported online by the service known as “Elon Jet,” which uses publicly available data to track more than 125 jets belonging to politicians, celebrities and executives.
Carpet_pissr

Post by Carpet_pissr »

waitingtoconnect wrote: Tue Mar 05, 2024 7:02 pm
Alefroth wrote: Tue Mar 05, 2024 4:25 pm
MCQueen2 wrote: Tue Mar 05, 2024 3:49 pm
Alefroth wrote: Tue Mar 05, 2024 2:00 pm They can be anything, as long as they are loyal.
Well they need to be old and not have independent thinking skills...
Nope, just loyalty.
The rusted on loyalty is insane.

The attitude here is insane.

I’m not voting for Trump in the primary because he is an unhinged lunatic but in a general election match up between Biden and trump I’m voting for trump!

What’s happened to critical thinking. Does everyone live with this cognitive dissonance now?
Scary as hell, but I already suspected this was true (with the caveat that those videos are selected to tell a narrative, and interviews were edited and selected to support that narrative).

It’s like they initially show all these R primary voters being reasonable, just absolutely dumping on Trump, how they think he’s a liar and cheater…then effectively showing how they will absolutely and totally vote for him when it comes to the general election. Fucking depressing.
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

Carpet_pissr wrote: Wed Mar 06, 2024 9:39 am Scary as hell, but I already suspected this was true (with the caveat that those videos are selected to tell a narrative, and interviews were edited and selected to support that narrative).

It’s like they initially show all these R primary voters being reasonable, just absolutely dumping on Trump, how they think he’s a liar and cheater…then effectively showing how they will absolutely and totally vote for him when it comes to the general election. Fucking depressing.
It boils down to something pretty straightforward:
"Trump is truly awful, but at least he's Republican!"
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
Carpet_pissr

Post by Carpet_pissr »

Yep.
Carpet_pissr

Post by Carpet_pissr »

Yep.

Ben Franklin is somewhere shaking his head right now, going ‘this was our concern, Dude’
Unagi

Post by Unagi »

We need to see more of this:

House Republican Says He’s Retiring So He Doesn’t Have to ‘Lie on Behalf’ of Trump and the GOP
https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/politics ... b21e&ei=12
You know, the time is right. I’m at a point in my life where I want to do different things. I want to enjoy my family more, I want to [do] less business travel and more recreational travel. There are a lot of things that went into the decision.

But really we’re at a time in American politics, that I am not going to lie on behalf of my presidential candidate, on behalf of my party. And I’m very sad that others in my party have taken the position that, as long as we get the White House, it doesn’t really matter what we say.
YellowKing

Post by YellowKing »

I know many, many people who would never vote for a Democrat, even if the Republican candidate stood in opposition to every belief they held. The tribalism is insane.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Oh Mitch, you spineless piece of shit. When I thought you couldn't sink any lower as a human being, you go ahead and win the limbo award.
“It is abundantly clear that former President Trump has earned the requisite support of Republican voters to be our nominee for President of the United States,” McConnell said in the statement.

McConnell said, “It should come as no surprise that as nominee, he will have my support.”
You could have done the right thing and spoken out against the person who has called you every name in the book except competent. But you chose the path that every other sycophant has.
He won. Period.
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

I mean, he's not wrong that it should come as no surprise.
Black Lives Matter.
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

That's a pretty tepid endorsement.
stessier

Post by stessier »

He chose party over country long ago... Why did you think it would be different now?
Carpet_pissr

Post by Carpet_pissr »

YellowKing wrote: Wed Mar 06, 2024 11:59 am I know many, many people who would never vote for a Democrat, even if the Republican candidate stood in opposition to every belief they held. The tribalism is insane.
Works both ways I think. The people that I know that are Democrats would also never vote R. It certainly FEELS like ‘the other side is worse about this!’ but I get very…wary when I hear myself thinking that way.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

stessier wrote: Wed Mar 06, 2024 1:41 pm He chose party over country long ago... Why did you think it would be different now?
I thought he would just slink away without saying anything, to be honest. I know he's not gone YET, but I figured he was gone in spirit and actions.
He won. Period.
Holman

Post by Holman »

Dean Phillips suspends his campaign and endorses Biden.

Alas, poor Dean. He never even got his own candidate thread.

(It's actually a very gracious and positive endorsement.)
Much prefer my Nazis Nuremberged.
Pyperkub

Post by Pyperkub »

hepcat wrote: Wed Mar 06, 2024 12:46 pm Oh Mitch, you spineless piece of shit. When I thought you couldn't sink any lower as a human being, you go ahead and win the limbo award.
“It is abundantly clear that former President Trump has earned the requisite support of Republican voters to be our nominee for President of the United States,” McConnell said in the statement.

McConnell said, “It should come as no surprise that as nominee, he will have my support.”
You could have done the right thing and spoken out against the person who has called you every name in the book except competent. But you chose the path that every other sycophant has.
Eh, we know Mitch lies. He will support Trump doing things Mitch likes, and will let the new GOP Senate leader deal with the bullshit.
Black Lives definitely Matter Lorini!

Also: There are three ways to not tell the truth: lies, damned lies, and statistics.
Carpet_pissr

Post by Carpet_pissr »

Pyperkub wrote: Wed Mar 06, 2024 4:22 pm
hepcat wrote: Wed Mar 06, 2024 12:46 pm Oh Mitch, you spineless piece of shit. When I thought you couldn't sink any lower as a human being, you go ahead and win the limbo award.

Eh, we know Mitch lies. He will support Trump doing things Mitch likes, and will let the new GOP Senate leader deal with the bullshit.
When his synapses are properly firing.
Pyperkub

Post by Pyperkub »

Carpet_pissr wrote: Wed Mar 06, 2024 2:10 pm
YellowKing wrote: Wed Mar 06, 2024 11:59 am I know many, many people who would never vote for a Democrat, even if the Republican candidate stood in opposition to every belief they held. The tribalism is insane.
Works both ways I think. The people that I know that are Democrats would also never vote R. It certainly FEELS like ‘the other side is worse about this!’ but I get very…wary when I hear myself thinking that way.
In my case at least, this isn't true. I'd vote for a decent R, and have in the past, if the D candidate sucks.

E.G. I voted for the governator in CA over a Democratic worm in Phil Angelides. Ahnold was at least strong on the environment, tho he did try to do some seriously evil GOP sh*t (sell state property and lease it back? what a short term stupid idea that would only benefit grifters. place limits on unions but not other PACs/Corps? Another sell out of the state designed to enrich the oligarchs). Thank god neither got anywhere.

On the other hand, Ahnold was the last even close to sane GOP person to run in CA. Hell, the GOP is putting up talk show hosts for Governor and Serial Adulterer Baseball players who probably don't even have a college degree for the Senate. The lesson the GOP has learned from Ahnold is that dumb celebrities should be the candidate rather than being sane on policy.

So, yeah. Find me a decent, sane GOP candidate who isn't a celebrity and has actual governing experience (aka won't be a muppet and hasn't sold their soul to MAGA culture wars) and we'll talk.

Also: There are three ways to not tell the truth: lies, damned lies, and statistics.
Zarathud

Post by Zarathud »

My mother’s best friend was fired by Ahnold after messing up a grant for her department. She admitted that she didn’t hold it against him and thought his administration was decent to work for.
"If the facts don't fit the theory, change the facts." - Albert Einstein
"I don't stand by anything." - Trump
“Bad men need nothing more to compass their ends, than that good men should look on and do nothing.” - John Stuart Mill, Inaugural Address Delivered to the University of St Andrews, 2/1/1867
“It is the impractical things in this tumultuous hell-scape of a world that matter most. A book, a name, chicken soup. They help us remember that, even in our darkest hour, life is still to be savored.” - Poe, Altered Carbon
Exodor

Post by Exodor »

Holman wrote: Wed Mar 06, 2024 4:05 pm Dean Phillips suspends his campaign and endorses Biden.
I wish I still had a Twitter account so I could tell him to go fuck himself.

Because fuck that guy.
waitingtoconnect

Pyperkub wrote: Wed Mar 06, 2024 4:31 pm
In my case at least, this isn't true. I'd vote for a decent R, and have in the past, if the D candidate sucks.

E.G. I voted for the governator in CA over a Democratic worm in Phil Angelides. Ahnold was at least strong on the environment, tho he did try to do some seriously evil GOP sh*t (sell state property and lease it back? what a short term stupid idea that would only benefit grifters. place limits on unions but not other PACs/Corps? Another sell out of the state designed to enrich the oligarchs). Thank god neither got anywhere.

On the other hand, Ahnold was the last even close to sane GOP person to run in CA. Hell, the GOP is putting up talk show hosts for Governor and Serial Adulterer Baseball players who probably don't even have a college degree for the Senate. The lesson the GOP has learned from Ahnold is that dumb celebrities should be the candidate rather than being sane on policy.

So, yeah. Find me a decent, sane GOP candidate who isn't a celebrity and has actual governing experience (aka won't be a muppet and hasn't sold their soul to MAGA culture wars) and we'll talk.
I found Arnold to be much more thoughtful and intelligent than many of his Republican peers. Surprisingly. He has very specific views forged from that he succeeded despite a hard upbringing and he thinks everyone should do that too that are pretty much Reaganism which I believe have been discredited. It’s clear you can’t tax cut and sell public assets asa path to prosperity. The balance provided by the Roosevelt-Truman-Eisenhower years is what’s needed.

But for his faults he lived in the real world. Certainly he’s miles ahead of any Republican we see in public life now who now to the billionaires and trump.
Last edited by waitingtoconnect on Wed Mar 06, 2024 5:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Pyperkub

Post by Pyperkub »

waitingtoconnect wrote: Wed Mar 06, 2024 5:14 pm But for his faults he lived in the real world. Certainly he’s miles ahead of any Republican we see in public life now who now to the billionaires and trump.
Mostly agree. As indicated, he did try to pull some of the billionaire bullshit, especially WRT to selling off the State Land and buildings and making the State a renter of its own property from the billionaires who would have snapped it up in a heartbeat.

Zarathud

Too soon to start thinking about 2024?

Post by Zarathud »

Arnold invested in real estate and other deals, so it makes sense to him. Plenty of artists sell their rights to get cash to live today. It’s at least within his life experience.
“Bad men need nothing more to compass their ends, than that good men should look on and do nothing.” - John Stuart Mill, Inaugural Address Delivered to the University of St Andrews, 2/1/1867
“It is the impractical things in this tumultuous hell-scape of a world that matter most. A book, a name, chicken soup. They help us remember that, even in our darkest hour, life is still to be savored.” - Poe, Altered Carbon
waitingtoconnect

Zarathud wrote: Wed Mar 06, 2024 5:27 pm Arnold invested in real estate and other deals, so it makes sense to him. Plenty of artists sell their rights to get cash to live today. It’s at least within his life experience.
Certainly as with most Republican presidents and leaders since 2000 I much prefer him out of office than in office. Seems they only grow a spine once they leave public life.

And I never saw myself agreeing with LizCheney.

Certainly based on the billionaire festival we are seeing in Palm Springs right now this isn’t just a trump Republican possible takeover. It’s a super rich takeover.
Pyperkub

Post by Pyperkub »

Zarathud wrote: Wed Mar 06, 2024 5:27 pm Arnold invested in real estate and other deals, so it makes sense to him. Plenty of artists sell their rights to get cash to live today. It’s at least within his life experience.
Yeah, but that's part of the problem in electing people with no Public Service history - they don't fully grok working in service to an entity which will outlive them by decades, if not centuries (and we're back to the problem of inexperienced Celebrities getting played).

Zarathud

Post by Zarathud »

It’s the myth Republicans have peddled so well…anyone can do the government’s job better. That’s just not true, it’s often working on hard issues where economics alone produce bad results — assuming the people in charge care enough to try and aren’t grifting.

Trump brings out the worst, as his followers don’t believe in making government work, and only getting their money from the system. Any rational observer would see it is a bad combination, which is why Trump sells the scam of “feelings.”
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

Likewise. I've voted for Republicans like Bill Weld and Charlie Baker because they were the better choice. I might have voted for John McCain if he hadn't dug up Sarah Palin. Of course this was all before the party went down the MAGA hole. Just a couple of weeks ago I voted for Nikki Haley and two non-MAGA candidates in the R primary -- not because I supported them, but in hopes of resisting MAGA.

Even though the party is now thoroughly tainted by trump, I would still consider supporting an old-school, fiscally conservative and socially moderate New England Republican, if any still exist.
Kurth

Post by Kurth »

Kraken wrote: Wed Mar 06, 2024 6:48 pm
Likewise. I've voted for Republicans like Bill Weld and Charlie Baker because they were the better choice. I might have voted for John McCain if he hadn't dug up Sarah Palin. Of course this was all before the party went down the MAGA hole. Just a couple of weeks ago I voted for Nikki Haley and two non-MAGA candidates in the R primary -- not because I supported them, but in hopes of resisting MAGA.

Even though the party is now thoroughly tainted by trump, I would still consider supporting an old-school, fiscally conservative and socially moderate New England Republican, if any still exist.
Same all around. All of these - McCain (pre-Palin), Weld, Baker, all sane GOP politicians who presented a viable alternative in a functioning two party system. I don't care how partisan you are: Everyone should be longing for the days when those alternatives existed. It's why the "vote for the worst" strategies the Dems have latched on to boosting MAGAt lunatics in primaries b/c they will be easier to beat in generals rub me the wrong way so much. They are so, so short-sighted.
Just 'cause you feel it, doesn't mean it's there -- Radiohead
Do you believe me? Do you trust me? Do you like me? 😳
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

Aaaaand Haley is outtahere. Plus she did not endorse the Man from Vlad.
Jaymann
]==(:::::::::::::>
Black Lives Matter
waitingtoconnect

Kurth wrote: Wed Mar 06, 2024 6:52 pm
Kraken wrote: Wed Mar 06, 2024 6:48 pm

Same all around. All of these - McCain (pre-Palin), Weld, Baker, all sane GOP politicians who presented a viable alternative in a functioning two party system. I don't care how partisan you are: Everyone should be longing for the days when those alternatives existed. It's why the "vote for the worst" strategies the Dems have latched on to boosting MAGAt lunatics in primaries b/c they will be easier to beat in generals rub me the wrong way so much. They are so, so short-sighted.
This is why despite disagreeing with him on many many things I agreed with Arnold Swartznegger on the issue of gerrymandering: he believes this led to representatives not voting for the best policies even if they agreed with them because they would face censure and expulsion in their primary elections from their party bases. In the general they’d be untouchable.

So he had to his credit tried to fight it and I agree with him on this. Certainly we’ve seen in Ohio and Wisconsin in particular gerrymandering leading to grossly distorted results.
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

Black Lives Matter.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Anyone remember the show 3rd Rock From the Sun? Remember how the character Harry would suddenly stop what he was doing, throw up his hands, shake his body and say "Incoming message from The Big Giant Head!"

I imagine Tucker Carlson doing that and saying "Incoming message from The Big Orange Turd!"
--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"
Carpet_pissr

Post by Carpet_pissr »

El Guapo wrote: Thu Mar 07, 2024 12:27 pm
I REALLY need to stop watching these. It's too fucking depressing.
Exodor

Post by Exodor »

Kurth wrote: Wed Mar 06, 2024 6:52 pm It's why the "vote for the worst" strategies the Dems have latched on to boosting MAGAt lunatics in primaries b/c they will be easier to beat in generals rub me the wrong way so much. They are so, so short-sighted.
What do you mean that worked out great in 2016. :grund:

I know it's a long time until November but these polls showing Biden down in swing states really worry me. I think a lot of folks who don't pay attention to politics have kind of forgotten how awful Trump is and just what a trainwreck his administration was. I've heard the DNC is planning to ramp up ad spending after the state of the untion - I hope so. They need to be broadcasting his "I'll be a dictator on Day 1" and "I'm responsible for getting RvW overturned" comments everywhere.