[Skepticism] NFL 2020 Season

Everything else!

Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

Jeff V

Re: [Skepticism] NFL 2020 Season

Post by Jeff V »

Lorini wrote: Mon Oct 26, 2020 10:36 pm Uh Bears fans, do they score touchdowns? Was wondering :)
Not really. At least Trubinsky was a threat to run, since they decided to go all-in with Foles, what we have is predictably bleak.
Black Lives Matter
gameoverman

Post by gameoverman »

Lorini wrote: Mon Oct 26, 2020 2:45 pm The NBA keeps playing with the idea of the best 16 teams going to the playoffs and I think the NFL should consider this as well, so we do indeed see the teams with the best records.
In all the time I've been watching football, going back to the '70s, the argument against lumping teams into two conferences with no divisions has been the loss of traditional rivalries. Green Bay vs Chicago for instance wouldn't mean anything more than Green Bay vs whoever if there were no divisions. To keep things fair, with no divisions teams would need to cycle through who they play year to year, so no real rivalry could form without divisions.

This is one of those situations where we can't have everything. We can't have teams fighting to win their divisions and also playing their traditional rivals every year and also have the teams with the best win/loss records make the playoffs and also have the teams with the best win/loss records get to host their playoff games. I wouldn't mind losing the rivalries, that kind of thing always felt fake to me anyways since teams move and change. The Browns aren't THE Browns since the team left Cleveland. The Rams and Raiders have been all over the place. But I understand there are people who are hardcore into those rivalries so I can live with it as is.
Lorini

Post by Lorini »

No, keep the divisions during the regular season. But if your rival doesn't make it into the post season, then what? Or if you would only meet in the conference championship, how often is that going to happen?

I personally don't see rivalry as a reason not to go with the best x teams. They may contemplate a change if the one of the divisions continually suck like the near entire Eastern conference did for the NBA a few years back. If people have to pay a premium to see a playoff game, they should at least see a decent team. Charging top dollar for two 7-9 teams to play each other is near theft.
Black Lives Matter
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

gameoverman wrote: Tue Oct 27, 2020 3:33 pm
In all the time I've been watching football, going back to the '70s, the argument against lumping teams into two conferences with no divisions has been the loss of traditional rivalries. Green Bay vs Chicago for instance wouldn't mean anything more than Green Bay vs whoever if there were no divisions. To keep things fair, with no divisions teams would need to cycle through who they play year to year, so no real rivalry could form without divisions.
I'm not sure that means much anymore. Players are much more mercenary than in years past, and while fans might try to pretend animosity truly exists, for the most part it doesn't really exist among players. Certainly there is little awareness of history among the players, and while they may play lip service to certain conventions, knowing they could well be on the rival team come next season tempers their action.
Black Lives Matter
pr0ner

Post by pr0ner »

Jeff V wrote: Wed Oct 28, 2020 8:51 am
gameoverman wrote: Tue Oct 27, 2020 3:33 pm
I'm not sure that means much anymore. Players are much more mercenary than in years past, and while fans might try to pretend animosity truly exists, for the most part it doesn't really exist among players. Certainly there is little awareness of history among the players, and while they may play lip service to certain conventions, knowing they could well be on the rival team come next season tempers their action.
That doesn't stop hockey players. It shouldn't stop NFLers.
Hodor.
Jaymon

Post by Jaymon »

Lorini wrote: Mon Oct 26, 2020 10:36 pm Uh Bears fans, do they score touchdowns? Was wondering :)
I have never witnessed a bears fan scoring a touchdown
Bunnies like beer because its made from hops.
Lorini

Post by Lorini »

Jaymon wrote: Wed Oct 28, 2020 12:05 pm
I have never witnessed a bears fan scoring a touchdown
Maybe that's the answer?
Black Lives Matter
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

Hockey kind of proves my point. If players were so caught up in contrived team rivalries, there would have been no way Bob Probert would have ever gone to the Blackhawks after leaving Detroit. I really think the folks most put out by such a thing would be the goofs that get into parking lot fights with other goofs wearing opposing team colors after the game.

I suppose if teams could agree on what constitutes "historic rivalry" schedules could still accommodate such, divisions aren't required. I doubt that could be agreed upon though, teams like the Cowboys, Steelers and Patriots all have multiple rivals who consider them their prime adversary (from a fans perspective).

Another option would retain current division structure for scheduling only -- divisions would not exist in terms of standings. Of course, that could lead to some degree of unfairness should one division finish the year with all top teams while another (NFC East) is all bottom feeders.
Black Lives Matter
Lorini

Post by Lorini »

I dunno, I remember when a player went from the Diamondbacks dugout to the Dodger dugout during a game because he'd been trading during the game. i think rivalries are way overrated and I don't think that players care. Are there any stats out there that say players play better playing a rival? And even then could home field advantage cause some of that?
Black Lives Matter
ImLawBoy
Forum Admin

Post by ImLawBoy »

Rivalries are for the fans, particularly in the age of free agency. I definitely get more excited to see the Bears play Green Bay, Minnesota, or Detroit than the Rams or Tampa Bay.
That's my purse! I don't know you!
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

This Dallas/Philly game might be the worst NFL game I’ve ever watched.

Holy hell, these teams are bad.
When darkness veils the world, four Warriors of Light shall come.
Lassr

Post by Lassr »

Skinypupy wrote: Sun Nov 01, 2020 10:49 pm This Dallas/Philly game might be the worst NFL game I’ve ever watched.

Holy hell, these teams are bad.
Luckily Fear the Walking Dead was on so I could watch a better show with the walking dead
The only reason people get lost in thought is because it's unfamiliar territory.

Black Lives Matter
Jaymon

Post by Jaymon »

people been talking smack about the seahawks defense. worst in the league they say. and then they turned in a pretty good showing against 49ers,
But wait! they only turned in a good showing against an injured QB. Goroppolo left the game, and suddenly the hawks give up TD on the next three drives against Mullens. If they had started Mullens instead of trying to force some yards out of an injured Garopollo, it would have been a whole different game.

I know I'm a fan, but right now it doesn't seem like the seahawks defense could stop a fish from walking, much less stop a reasonably proficient QB from putting together a scoring drive.
ImLawBoy
Forum Admin

Post by ImLawBoy »

Jaymon wrote: Mon Nov 02, 2020 9:43 am people been talking smack about the seahawks defense. worst in the league they say. and then they turned in a pretty good showing against 49ers,
But wait! they only turned in a good showing against an injured QB. Goroppolo left the game, and suddenly the hawks give up TD on the next three drives against Mullens. If they had started Mullens instead of trying to force some yards out of an injured Garopollo, it would have been a whole different game.

I know I'm a fan, but right now it doesn't seem like the seahawks defense could stop a fish from walking, much less stop a reasonably proficient QB from putting together a scoring drive.
So they're fine against the Bears is what you're saying.
That's my purse! I don't know you!
Jaymon

Post by Jaymon »

ImLawBoy wrote: Mon Nov 02, 2020 9:53 am
Jaymon wrote: Mon Nov 02, 2020 9:43 am people been talking smack about the seahawks defense. worst in the league they say. and then they turned in a pretty good showing against 49ers,

So they're fine against the Bears is what you're saying.

:lol:
gameoverman

Post by gameoverman »

I've seen a few articles in the last couple of weeks talking about how the Patriots are struggling and why things are going wrong. It makes me laugh. They lost Tom Brady, and he was really the only superstar level of player they had, on offense at least. They are in rebuilding mode. How do you lose a guy like Brady and everyone expects you to just continue on with someone else without it taking you awhile to put together a new team? I think any games they win are unexpected wins. Nothing against Newton either, it's just that he was out a long time with injuries. So he himself is in a position where he has to prove he can still deliver before anyone should pin their hopes and dreams on him.
pr0ner

Post by pr0ner »

Never change, Fitzmagic.

Hodor.
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

gameoverman wrote: Mon Nov 02, 2020 7:38 pm I've seen a few articles in the last couple of weeks talking about how the Patriots are struggling and why things are going wrong. It makes me laugh. They lost Tom Brady, and he was really the only superstar level of player they had, on offense at least. They are in rebuilding mode. How do you lose a guy like Brady and everyone expects you to just continue on with someone else without it taking you awhile to put together a new team? I think any games they win are unexpected wins. Nothing against Newton either, it's just that he was out a long time with injuries. So he himself is in a position where he has to prove he can still deliver before anyone should pin their hopes and dreams on him.
Plus they lost a TON of people, especially on defense, due in large part to COVID opt outs. And the Newton COVID diagnosis appears to have messed things up a bit too.

It's also true that the Patriots apparently cannot draft wide receivers to save their lives.
Black Lives Matter.
Jaymann

Re: [Anticipation] NFL 2020 Season

Post by Jaymann »

Jaymann wrote: Mon Sep 07, 2020 10:53 pm
Baroquen wrote: Mon Sep 07, 2020 10:51 pm
The Meal wrote: Mon Sep 07, 2020 8:16 pm7-weeks.
Is that your prediction for how long the season is going to last?
It's how long until the Patriots are eliminated from the playoffs.
Not mathematically, but:

[Trent Steel]
NO CHANCE
[/Trent Steel]
Jaymann
]==(:::::::::::::>
Black Lives Matter
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

Philip Rivers will likely pass Dan Marino for total passing yards today to move up to #5 all time. If Marino is in the HoF, Rivers should get in.
Jaymann
Black Lives Matter
Lorini

Post by Lorini »

You folks have convinced me that Rivers should be there; also note he no longer plays in the Raiders division so I don't care nearly as much :)
Black Lives Matter
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

It's almost as if people are the problem.
Ralph-Wiggum

Post by Ralph-Wiggum »

Playing QB for Washington is a dangerous job.
Black Lives Matter
Lorini

Post by Lorini »

That Raider game was ridiculous but at least they won. Maybe next time our moron coach will just go into the half instead of calling a play that resulted in a Charger field goal.
Black Lives Matter
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

Brady is getting spanked! Can't wait until Arians complains that he is not focused.
Jaymann
Black Lives Matter
Lorini

Post by Lorini »

double post
Last edited by Lorini on Mon Nov 09, 2020 12:02 am, edited 1 time in total.
Black Lives Matter
Lorini

Post by Lorini »

I think that’s the worst football game I’ve ever watched.
Black Lives Matter
gameoverman

Post by gameoverman »

Lorini wrote: Sun Nov 08, 2020 3:18 pm You folks have convinced me that Rivers should be there; also note he no longer plays in the Raiders division so I don't care nearly as much :)
His signature play to get in the HoF is that attempted tackle. I think it's the most hilarious play in sports this year. That should count for something.
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

LOL, Cowherd is suggesting Belichick should go to the Chargers to win with Justin Herbert.
Jaymann
Black Lives Matter
Ænima

Post by Ænima »

Poor Bills. Perhaps they should have put in Stefan Diggs on defense the last play...
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

Poor Alex Smith. Ties it up with 16 seconds left only to lose to the Lions(!) on a 59 yard field goal.

NFC East retains maximum chaos where 3 wins leads the division after 9 weeks.
Jaymann
Black Lives Matter
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

The Vikings and 49ers have better records that the team leading the NFC East.
It's almost as if people are the problem.
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

Hey, the Patriots beat the Ravens. I was not expecting that.
Black Lives Matter.
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

El Guapo wrote: Mon Nov 16, 2020 2:08 am Hey, the Patriots beat the Ravens. I was not expecting that.
A mistake. They are moving into no-man's land where they will be too high for a top draft pick, but too low to make the playoffs (PLAYOFFS!?!).
Jaymann
Black Lives Matter
Ralph-Wiggum

Post by Ralph-Wiggum »

Ænima wrote: Sun Nov 15, 2020 8:50 pm Poor Bills. Perhaps they should have put in Stefan Diggs on defense the last play...
I'm sure Texan fans loved seeing that last play...
Black Lives Matter
noxiousdog

Post by noxiousdog »

Ralph-Wiggum wrote: Mon Nov 16, 2020 10:30 am
Ænima wrote: Sun Nov 15, 2020 8:50 pm Poor Bills. Perhaps they should have put in Stefan Diggs on defense the last play...
I'm sure Texan fans loved seeing that last play...
We had to watch the Cleveland game. We're already numb.
Black Lives Matter

"To wield Grond, the mighty hammer of the Federal Government, is to be intoxicated with power beyond what you and I can reckon (though I figure we can ball park it pretty good with computers and maths). Need to tunnel through a mountain? Grond. Kill a mighty ogre? Grond. Hangnail? Grond. Spider? Grond (actually, that's a legit use, moreso than the rest)." - Peacedog
noxiousdog

Post by noxiousdog »

Black Lives Matter

"To wield Grond, the mighty hammer of the Federal Government, is to be intoxicated with power beyond what you and I can reckon (though I figure we can ball park it pretty good with computers and maths). Need to tunnel through a mountain? Grond. Kill a mighty ogre? Grond. Hangnail? Grond. Spider? Grond (actually, that's a legit use, moreso than the rest)." - Peacedog
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

Oh sweet chaos. Philly loses again, but still leads the NFC East at 3-6-1.

Meanwhile the Saints TCB without Brees. They have beat the Bucs twice so #NoBye4Brady.
Jaymann
Black Lives Matter
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

I am starting to suspect that the Patriots may not make the playoffs this year.
Black Lives Matter.
RunningMn9

Post by RunningMn9 »

El Guapo wrote:I am starting to suspect that the Patriots may not make the playoffs this year.
It’s not looking great for them, no. 3.5 back in the division with 6 to play, that’s a tall order on that front. And if the Raiders can win tonight, they are 3 back for a wild card. That’s tough sledding.

I appreciate the Dolphins coming back to earth this week, getting the Bills a little breathing room. Hopefully we don’t botch it against the Chargers.
And in banks across the world
Christians, Moslems, Hindus, Jews
And every other race, creed, colour, tint or hue
Get down on their knees and pray
The raccoon and the groundhog neatly
Make up bags of change
But the monkey in the corner
Well he's slowly drifting out of range