Security Camera AGAIN

For general computer discussion & help, come here

Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

Kasey Chang

Security Camera AGAIN

Post by Kasey Chang »

Great, now my dad wants me to buy ANOTHER security camera (or 2). Now he's bought into the idea of a wired version. Except I don't install (drill holes on walls and ****) the last system I bought requires an install.

I've looked into the various IP cameras, and they all seem to be motion-capture ONLY for local storage (on SD card) or only for X seconds upon motion trigger. I guess I can run something and record it continuously (I do have a spare PC available, a spare monitor, and some HD space), unless anyone has better ideas...

I even thought about using a Dashcam, which has loop recording, but apparently they are NOT engineered to run 24/7. But then my dad will probably not care about this problem after a few months. :) And 1080p dashcams are not that expensive.

Or should I just go for one of those disguised cameras as a wall clock or desk clock or such?
My game FAQs | Playing: She Will Punish Them, Sunrider: Mask of Arcadius, The Outer Worlds
Isgrimnur

Re: Security Camera AGAIN

Post by Isgrimnur »

He delegated to you. You delegate to an install company.
It's almost as if people are the problem.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Could just get your dad lots of coffee and have him stand there 24/7 watching everything :)
--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"
Kasey Chang

Post by Kasey Chang »

Daehawk wrote: Sun Sep 20, 2020 10:40 pm Could just get your dad lots of coffee and have him stand there 24/7 watching everything :)
I was thinking about just using my 50 ft microUSB cable to connect the camera at the main door his PC, which is above the main door, by running the cable out his window. :D He may have even suggested it. :D
My game FAQs | Playing: She Will Punish Them, Sunrider: Mask of Arcadius, The Outer Worlds
Kasey Chang

Post by Kasey Chang »

I'll just get an IP camera with a long power cable. I'll install AnyCam on his PC and just record straight to his PC and he can watch it whenever he likes. :D

Ordered a Wyze cam ($26) with a suction mount. Along with the 2x25 ft power cable I had previously ordered it should work well enough.
The Meal

Post by The Meal »

I like this guy's reviews for things like home cameras:
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC2gyzK ... XA5xbyGXtQ
"Better to talk to people than communicate via tweet." — Elontra
Kasey Chang

Post by Kasey Chang »

Great, so he doesn't need the cameras any more. Phooey. >-P It was a stupid idea to start. Not that he cares.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Here ya go Kasey

https://techcrunch.com/2020/09/24/rings ... g-in-2021/

Ring’s newest security camera is a $249 autonomous indoor drone shipping in 2021
Ring built its entire business on reinventing the doorbell — and now it’s taking a similar approach to the humble home security camera, with the Ring Always Home Cam, set to be available sometime next year. You might not guess from its name, but this security camera is actually mobile: It’s a drone that flies autonomously throughout your home, to provide you with the view you want of whatever room you want, without having to have video cameras installed in multiple locations throughout your house.

The Always Home Cam is a diminutive drone that can be scheduled to fly preset paths, which you lay out as a user. The drone can’t actually be manually flown, and it begins recording only once its in flight (the camera lens is actually physically blocked while it’s docked) — both features the company says will help ensure it operates strictly with privacy in mind. Always Home Cam is also designed intentionally to produce an audible hum while in use, to alert anyone present that it’s actually moving around and recording.
Enlarge Image

*Ceiling drone sees you masturbating*
--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

I eagerly await the videos from pet owners.
It's almost as if people are the problem.
Kasey Chang

Post by Kasey Chang »

Isgrimnur wrote: Thu Sep 24, 2020 10:28 pm I eagerly await the videos from pet owners.
Especially cats who do high jumps.