Mafia: Definitive Edition - An old classic gets a new lease on life

If it's a video game it goes here.

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, Arcanis, $iljanus

coopasonic

Re: Mafia: Definitive Edition - An old classic gets a new lease on life

Post by coopasonic »

jztemple2 wrote: Sat Sep 26, 2020 12:01 am Driving at night, look at the neon. I'm wondering if I can change the Free Ride time of day?
In Free Ride, there are pictures in the Don's office and the meeting room that you can activate to change weather and time of day.
jztemple2 wrote: Sat Sep 26, 2020 12:35 am In Free Ride mode there is a, well I guess you'd call it a mystery mission, Letter From A Friend.
I found 11 of these in the base and found 9 of the 11 locations, completing 7 of the challenges. The challenges are pretty much all copies of challenges from Free Ride Extreme, but fewer of them give you car unlocks. Some give outfits and/or weapon skins.

I put another 6 hours into the game, mostly in Free Ride, getting some more achievements and completing some of the challenges, but I think I am done with it unless at some point I get the urge to go back to get the Classic Mode achievement, which is a distinct possibility. I did do the race mission again to get a related secret achievement. Spoiler:
Spoiler:
take drunken Paulie to the Blue uhhh... whatever it was called, whorehouse, instead of his place after the race
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

coopasonic wrote: Sat Sep 26, 2020 5:12 pm
jztemple2 wrote: Sat Sep 26, 2020 12:01 am Driving at night, look at the neon. I'm wondering if I can change the Free Ride time of day?
In Free Ride, there are pictures in the Don's office and the meeting room that you can activate to change weather and time of day.
Thanks! I did wander around up there but wasn't trying to click everything.
My father said that anything is interesting if you bother to read about it - Michael C. Harrold
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

And I'm done with the campaign at 10.9 hours, which includes probably 30 minutes in Free Ride and a bunch of reloading from save checkpoints. So overall I'd say that yes, it is an entertaining game, especially in its almost theatrical presentation, and with the additions of new graphics and some polish and new mechanics like the cover system (that is new to this edition, right?) it is a fun game to play. However (and you could almost tell there was a however coming) the story still feels rushed at the end and ten hours seems too short for the price they are asking. So I'd say that the game might be worth getting when it goes on sale sometime, but there's nothing that would drive me to recommend it at full price unless you really, really are jonesing for it.
My father said that anything is interesting if you bother to read about it - Michael C. Harrold
gbasden

Post by gbasden »

I will say that Classic mode is quite a bit harder and I've been moving more slowly. I don't think I'll be finishing it that quickly, but even if I do I'm ok with spending the money. There are definitely other classic games that I would love to get this treatment, and encouraging them by buying a well done remake like this makes me happy.
Rumpy

Post by Rumpy »

Yep, the cover system is completely new to this game. The original had a clumsy duck and roll mechanism which didn't work half the time and would actually leave you exposed most of the time. It's what made the gunplay so much harder when everyone was gunning for you. It was only in Mafia 2 where they introduced an actual cover system.
PC:
Ryzen 5 3600
32GB RAM
2x1TB NVMe Drives
GTX 1660 Ti
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Mafia 1 had the 90s cover system: stand behind something hard, strafe out, fire, strafe back.
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)
naednek

Post by naednek »

so Epic Games is having their mega sale, and you get a $10 off coupon for every $15 game and up you buy. So I picked up Iron Harvest and Mafia Definitive Edition. Got Mafia for $14 after the $10 and Iron Harvest for $15 after the coupons were applied.

Wow quite the visual upgrade. One of my top 5 games ever made and haven't played it for over a decade the quality of everything is so top notch. A rare gem.
hepcat - "I agree with Naednek"
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"
Alefroth

Post by Alefroth »

This is available on PS Now for a few months so I'm giving it a play. So far it seems like a great remake. The navigation guidance system in the form of dynamically generated directional signs is brilliant. I hope other urban open world games adopt it. It lets you pay attention to the surroundings instead of the map and isn't as cheap feeling as a superimposed trail on the streets.
Alefroth

Post by Alefroth »

That was a great remake and a blast to play. A lot of the world was underutilized unless you do Free Ride, and grabbing collectibles isn't enough to motivate me. Wonder if they could do a DLC.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Its $17 GMG I think.
Alefroth

Post by Alefroth »

I played it on PS Now.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Ill stick this here as this thread got some life to it.

How real IS Mafia 2? Ask the mob.