2020-21 return of NCAA Hoops thread

Everything else!

Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

Ralph-Wiggum

Re: 2020-21 return of NCAA Hoops thread

Post by Ralph-Wiggum »

As far as I can tell, there is no reseeding; there would just be no way to do it without causing huge disruptions. So if a team has to drop out before their first game, a team that didn’t make the tournament gets their slot. After the first round, though, any cancellation just results in a forfeit.
Black Lives Matter
Ralph-Wiggum

Post by Ralph-Wiggum »

UNC is in a bracket of death. First Wisconsin and if (big IF) they win, they have to play Baylor. Our weakness all year are teams that can turn you over and shoot the three, and both Wisconsin and Baylor fall into that category.
Black Lives Matter
Remus West

Post by Remus West »

Alabama was the second biggest winner of the brackets from what I see. Michigan/Alabama would be a really fun and tough match up IF Livers were healthy. Without Livers I don't see Michigan making it far which creates a clear path for 'Bama to make the final 4. Which is nice because of Oats but sucks because I'd love to see Michigan fully healthy make a run as I thought they'd be a legit contender.

Gonzaga was just gifted a ride to the final 4 with no resistance in their bracket.

Over all I think Illinois is probably my pick though.
“As democracy is perfected, the office of president represents, more and more closely, the inner soul of the people. On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.” - H.L. Mencken
Pyperkub

Post by Pyperkub »

Remus West wrote:Alabama was the second biggest winner of the brackets from what I see. Michigan/Alabama would be a really fun and tough match up IF Livers were healthy. Without Livers I don't see Michigan making it far which creates a clear path for 'Bama to make the final 4. Which is nice because of Oats but sucks because I'd love to see Michigan fully healthy make a run as I thought they'd be a legit contender.

Gonzaga was just gifted a ride to the final 4 with no resistance in their bracket.

Playing Pitino's Iona squad isn't a win in my book.
Black Lives definitely Matter Lorini!

Also: There are three ways to not tell the truth: lies, damned lies, and statistics.
Remus West

Post by Remus West »

Pyperkub wrote: Mon Mar 15, 2021 3:11 pm
Remus West wrote:Alabama was the second biggest winner of the brackets from what I see. Michigan/Alabama would be a really fun and tough match up IF Livers were healthy. Without Livers I don't see Michigan making it far which creates a clear path for 'Bama to make the final 4. Which is nice because of Oats but sucks because I'd love to see Michigan fully healthy make a run as I thought they'd be a legit contender.

They may be coached by Pitino but they are still a 15 v 2 dog. I'll take the red hot 2 seed - top 2 seed in the tourney.
“As democracy is perfected, the office of president represents, more and more closely, the inner soul of the people. On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.” - H.L. Mencken
ImLawBoy
Forum Admin

Post by ImLawBoy »

pr0ner wrote: Fri Mar 12, 2021 1:41 pm
Ralph-Wiggum wrote: Fri Mar 12, 2021 11:36 am The MSU news is bonkers. Getting corporate sponsorship for an arena is fine, but for the actual basketball team? It's just sort of embarrassing.
A coworker who is a MSU alum pointed me to this story saying that United Wholesale's CEO just dumped $32M into MSU's athletic program, and this is part of how Rocket Mortgage (who's already a big MSU donor) is responding. Sounds like things are getting heated between United Wholesale and Rocket Mortgage, to MSU's benefit.
As much as I love to rag on MSU (and I love to rag on MSU), the news was overblown quite a bit. This is just a run-of-the-mill sponsorship deal with a poorly worded press release. I remember some years back when the Chicago Bears made a similar announcement with (I think) Bank One as their presenting sponsor. There was a lot of guffawing that they would be the Bank One Bears, but the end result was the Bank One logo on the screen behind coaches and players during press conferences. I imagine this will be the same. (Although that will not prevent the mockery from online Michigan fans.)

Glad to see Michigan as a 1 seed, but it'll be hard to make a deep run without Livers. They're not ruling out that he'll play, but I think it's pretty doubtful. Illinois is playing so well right now that I would probably pick them over anyone else right now. Gonzaga may be worthy of overall first ranking, but it's fair to speculate what their record would be if they played in the Big 10 or Big 12. I don't really trust Baylor - IIRC, their defense is suspect.
That's my purse! I don't know you!
Pyperkub

Post by Pyperkub »

Remus West wrote: Mon Mar 15, 2021 9:08 pm

They may be coached by Pitino but they are still a 15 v 2 dog. I'll take the red hot 2 seed - top 2 seed in the tourney.
They (Pitino's Iona squad) are underseeded, just as they were in their conference tourney (a ninth seed), while mostly breezing through it. They also won 10 of their last 12 games after losing 3 of their first 5. They are most particularly NOT a 15 seed. May not have what it takes to beat Alabama, but it's not your normal 15/2 matchup. They have size and talent you don't get in 15 seeds.

Also: There are three ways to not tell the truth: lies, damned lies, and statistics.
Remus West

Post by Remus West »

Pyperkub wrote: Tue Mar 16, 2021 12:12 pm
Remus West wrote: Mon Mar 15, 2021 9:08 pm

They (Pitino's Iona squad) are underseeded, just as they were in their conference tourney (a ninth seed), while mostly breezing through it. They also won 10 of their last 12 games after losing 3 of their first 5. They are most particularly NOT a 15 seed. May not have what it takes to beat Alabama, but it's not your normal 15/2 matchup. They have size and talent you don't get in 15 seeds.
I'll still take Alabama here without a single qualm. They dominated the SEC both regular season and tournament. They are going to make a deep run this year regardless of how much Ionia may truly be a 12 instead of a 15.
Ralph-Wiggum

Post by Ralph-Wiggum »

Oklahoma just announced their second leading scorer is out for at least the first weekend due to Covid. I have no idea how that doesn't mean the whole team should quarantine. Yes, each player has his own room, but they are working out and hanging out together. Hopefully masked, but who knows. And at this point, per the NCAA rules, it's too late for Oklahoma to be replaced by another team...
Black Lives Matter
Ralph-Wiggum

Post by Ralph-Wiggum »

Georgia Tech's best player and ACC player of the year, Moses Wright, is out of at least the first game due to Covid. And reports are that 7 (!!!) Duke players have no tested positive after one player tested positive last week. I would be surprised if Kansas, Virginia, Georgia Tech, and Oklahoma don't have similar problems in the next few days.
Black Lives Matter
Remus West

Post by Remus West »

Ralph-Wiggum wrote: Thu Mar 18, 2021 8:41 am Georgia Tech's best player and ACC player of the year, Moses Wright, is out of at least the first game due to Covid. And reports are that 7 (!!!) Duke players have no tested positive after one player tested positive last week. I would be surprised if Kansas, Virginia, Georgia Tech, and Oklahoma don't have similar problems in the next few days.
I would not want to be one of the teams scheduled to play any of those. Even if you win the likely Covid exposure probably ends your tournament soon anyway. I have big doubts about this thing making it all the way through.
Ralph-Wiggum

Post by Ralph-Wiggum »

I have no doubt that they'll make it all the way through. Too much money involved. The bigger question, in my mind, is whether so many games will be missed/forfeited that it really means anything.
Black Lives Matter
ImLawBoy
Forum Admin

Post by ImLawBoy »

Ralph-Wiggum wrote: Thu Mar 18, 2021 12:31 pm I have no doubt that they'll make it all the way through. Too much money involved. The bigger question, in my mind, is whether so many games will be missed/forfeited that it really means anything.
I'll get back to you on that point when I see how far Michigan makes it. :P
pr0ner

Post by pr0ner »

Ralph-Wiggum wrote: Thu Mar 18, 2021 12:31 pm I have no doubt that they'll make it all the way through. Too much money involved. The bigger question, in my mind, is whether so many games will be missed/forfeited that it really means anything.
I know a UVA fan who already has said this past ACC tournament champion gets an asterisk next to their name because UVA had to pull out.
Hodor.
Pyperkub

Post by Pyperkub »

ImLawBoy wrote: Thu Mar 18, 2021 1:25 pm
I'll get back to you on that point when I see how far Michigan makes it. :P
I'm having a very tough time penciling Michigan far at all w/o Livers. Smith and Brooks will have to play out of their minds.

msduncan

Post by msduncan »

As an Alabama fan, I fully expect us to get bounced from the tourney in the first game.
It's 109 first team All-Americans.
It's a college football record 61 bowl appearances.
It's 34 bowl victories.
It's 24 Southeastern Conference Championships.
It's 15 National Championships.

At some places they play football. At Alabama we live it.
Pyperkub

Post by Pyperkub »

msduncan wrote: Thu Mar 18, 2021 4:04 pm As an Alabama fan, I fully expect us to get bounced from the tourney in the first game.
If you don't, I have you in the Final Four, but I'd be much more confident if it weren't Pitino's Iona sqaud in game 1...

Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

msduncan wrote: Thu Mar 18, 2021 4:04 pm As an Alabama fan, I fully expect us to get bounced from the tourney in the first game.
I haven't been following, but they are the #2 seed!

And Gonzaga at 26-0, holy shit!
Jaymann
]==(:::::::::::::>
Black Lives Matter
Pyperkub

Post by Pyperkub »

Ralph-Wiggum wrote: Thu Mar 18, 2021 8:41 am Georgia Tech's best player and ACC player of the year, Moses Wright, is out of at least the first game due to Covid. And reports are that 7 (!!!) Duke players have no tested positive after one player tested positive last week. I would be surprised if Kansas, Virginia, Georgia Tech, and Oklahoma don't have similar problems in the next few days.
got any other hot tips from today?

Our fantasy player (PPG only) draft is in less than an hour (right during the UCLA/MSU game, of course ;) ).

I do have the Tivo set, but I'm sure my alumni buddies will be lighting up the group text...

Pyperkub

Post by Pyperkub »

And yeah, looking forward to this, last year we arrived in Vegas for the annual Pac-12 Tourney roadtrip the night before everything was shut down.

The only thing on in the sports books were greyhound and harness races.

Ralph-Wiggum

Post by Ralph-Wiggum »

Hot tip: Don't pick any MSU players.
Black Lives Matter
Remus West

Post by Remus West »

Ralph-Wiggum wrote: Fri Mar 19, 2021 9:36 am Hot tip: Don't pick any MSU players.
:lol:
pr0ner

Post by pr0ner »

Down goes Ohio State!
Hodor.
ImLawBoy
Forum Admin

Post by ImLawBoy »

Such a shame to see MSU and OSU losing before Michigan plays a game. :(
Ralph-Wiggum

Post by Ralph-Wiggum »

When does the “Is the Big 10 overrated?” narrative start?
Black Lives Matter
ImLawBoy
Forum Admin

Post by ImLawBoy »

More like the Summit League is underrated!
Ralph-Wiggum

Post by Ralph-Wiggum »

I shouldn’t have said anything about the Big 10.
Black Lives Matter
Pyperkub

Post by Pyperkub »

Had our NCAA Fantasy draft last night , so I didn't start watching my Bruins until after 9:30 with a bit of Lagavullin but when I switched over to the Bruin blue at half... all Bruins baby!

Pyperkub

Post by Pyperkub »

But we did get burned a bit by the buckeyes today. Here are your 2021 Gutty Little Bruins (points only league) :

Playe
Team
Draft
Kofi Cockburn C
Illinois
Andre Curbelo G
Illinois
Justice Sueing F
Ohio St.
CJ Walker G
Ohio St.
Eugene Omoruyi F
Oregon
Jericho Sims F
TEXAS
LJ Figueroa G
Oregon
Mark Vital G  (higher minutes)
BAYLOR
Aaron Wiggins G
Maryland
Ben Roderick F
OHIO
Trey Pulliam G
San Diego St
Jacob Grandison G
Illinois

Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

Been trying to watch the games today, and good lord...the number of ads is utterly ridiculous.

Feels like an endless stream of ads, occasionally interrupted by basketball games.
When darkness veils the world, four Warriors of Light shall come.
Pyperkub

Post by Pyperkub »

Skinypupy wrote:Been trying to watch the games today, and good lord...the number of ads is utterly ridiculous.

Feels like an endless stream of ads, occasionally interrupted by basketball games.
If you can't be in a sports bar with all four games on at a time, you need to be on a tivo! Timeshift with multiple tuners.

Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

Bama and Michigan advance to the detriment of the Watcha Drinking? thread.
Jaymann
Black Lives Matter
Pyperkub

Post by Pyperkub »

VCU fucks up.

Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

At first I was trying to figure out which team was BYU. Then I saw the 4 pasty white guys. Grats to UCLA.
Jaymann
Black Lives Matter
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

Down goes Texas!
Down goes Texas!
Down goes Texas!
Jaymann
Black Lives Matter
GungHo

Post by GungHo »

Jaymann wrote: Sun Mar 21, 2021 12:23 am Down goes Texas!
Down goes Texas!
Down goes Texas!
I'll preface by saying you shouldnt lose to Abilene Christian in anything except Bible trivia, but we had a guy on the bench with a lip that was bleeding for 5+ min from a borderline flagrant, and theyre calling pussy-ass shit on a shot with 1.2 seconds left. Cannot wait until the day refs are replaced by AI
OR
cry in a corner that the world has come to a point where you have to pay for imaginary shit.

-Hiccup
pr0ner

Post by pr0ner »

Or maybe Texas shouldn't have turned the ball over 23 times?
Hodor.
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

Now Illinois tumbles. The Big 10 is in shambles.
Jaymann
Black Lives Matter
Ralph-Wiggum

Post by Ralph-Wiggum »

Except for Wisconsin.
Black Lives Matter
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

They have a chance to prove their mettle vs. #1 Baylor.
Jaymann
Black Lives Matter