COVID-19 treatment and vaccine update thread

Everything else!

Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Re: COVID-19 treatment and vaccine update thread

Post by Zaxxon »

Smoove_B wrote: Wed Jan 03, 2024 3:46 pm
Zaxxon wrote: Wed Jan 03, 2024 3:44 pm Wouldn't be the first...
I thought you were going to mention one of my favorite parasites - Toxoplasma...
Or the second? :D
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

The Cordyceps are awesome but they haven't demonstrated human pathology yet. If they do, we're absolutely boned. :)

But Toxo? We know they influence the behavior of crickets, mice and cats. We suspect they influence human behavior but it hasn't been confirmed.

I am fully in the camp that believes are giant meatbags that are largely controlled by parasites.
Maybe next year, maybe no go
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

I believe it’s been too long since I mentioned that we’re fucked.
stessier

Post by stessier »

Zaxxon wrote: Wed Jan 03, 2024 4:42 pm I believe it’s been too long since I mentioned that we’re fucked.
That's just what the parasites want you to think.
I require a reminder as to why raining arcane destruction is not an appropriate response to all of life's indignities. - Vaarsuvius
Global Steam Wishmaslist Tracking
Running____2014: 1300.55 miles____2015: 2036.13 miles____2016: 1012.75 miles____2017: 1105.82 miles____2018: 1318.91 miles__2019: 2000.00 miles
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

hepcat wrote: Tue Jan 02, 2024 10:26 pm
Jeff V wrote: Tue Jan 02, 2024 10:12 pm Wife ordered the sushi boat twice. Sushi is #1 on the click-bait slideshow of foods never to have on a cruise.
Do NOT watch the movie Triangle of Sadness.
Is that the movie about the demented psychopath that crafts sushi into shapes other than rounds?

I actually had triangle shaped sushi, but I don't recall it being sad.
Black Lives Matter
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Nothing about treatments or vaccines, but I was happy to see this in mainstream news today:
“There is some early evidence starting to show that if you had COVID-19, there can be all sorts of problems after getting infected” and reinfected, says Dr. Robert Murphy, professor of medicine and executive director of the Havey Institute for Global Health at Northwestern’s Feinberg School of Medicine. “We are just at the beginning of learning about them.”

Underlying health conditions that people may not necessarily be aware of—like prediabetes or increased inflammation—could also put them at higher risk after each infection. “For somebody who is already on the edge of developing diabetes and then gets COVID-19, that could damage the pancreas and the endocrine system enough to change things,” Smith says. Similarly, having high rates of inflammation before COVID-19 could raise the risk of heart events such as stroke or a heart attack after an infection.
What about how it affects your immune system?
At this point, many people view COVID-19 as relatively benign. But even if you've already recovered from a mild case, there's no guarantee that next time will go as smoothly. "Just because you did okay with it last year doesn’t mean you’ll do okay with it this year,” Smith says.

“There is a mischaracterization in the public understanding that you can get an acute infection with fever, cough, malaise, and fatigue, get over it after a few days or a week or so, then bounce back, and it’s gone,” says Al-Aly. “The data are showing that [some] people still display increased risk of problems even two years after an infection.”

That’s what he found in his study. People who had multiple infections were three times more likely to be hospitalized for their infection up to six months later than those who only got COVID-19 once, and were also more likely to have problems with clotting, gastrointestinal disorders, kidney, and mental-health symptoms. The risks appeared to increase the more infections people experienced.
More importantly:
But there is also growing evidence that in some people, getting COVID-19 the first time may compromise the immune response in a way that makes the body less likely to respond effectively the next time it sees the virus. That could leave certain organs and body systems, such as the brain, weaker for months after infection—and subsequent ones. “It’s the balance of these two opposing forces—the immune system learning from the past and knowing how to deal with a virus and do a better job the second and third time around, and the idea that a first encounter with a virus might alter the immune system in some way that it becomes less efficient—that could explain why some people get Long COVID,” says Al-Aly.

Data also continue to show that even vaccinated people can get Long COVID—although the risk may be lower—since the protection provided by vaccines wanes over time, just as it does from infections. Vaccines are therefore a strong but not absolute barrier to the virus.
Say it again:
In the meantime, Smith says it’s important for people to understand that they still need to do everything they can to avoid getting COVID-19. That means staying up to date with vaccinations and taking some basic precautions, such as wearing high-quality masks indoors when cases are high, especially in crowded places and on public transportation.

“I wish we lived in a world where getting repeat infections doesn’t matter," says Al-Aly, "but the reality is that‘s not the case."
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Well, they can get the gamers to understand if they simply change the terminology:

"Exposure to COVID-19 applies a long-duration stacking debuff."
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

:D

Still thought it was an awesome observation that D&D players will fight over a hat or a ring that gives a +1 against Death saving throw, but tell people to wear a mask? Never!
Moliere

Post by Moliere »

Smoove_B wrote: Wed Jan 10, 2024 1:32 pm
In the meantime, Smith says it’s important for people to understand that they still need to do everything they can to avoid getting COVID-19. That means staying up to date with vaccinations

“I wish we lived in a world where getting repeat infections doesn’t matter," says Al-Aly, "but the reality is that‘s not the case."
So you're saying that the vaccines prevent you from getting Covid? It was my understanding that they don't prevent you from getting it, nor do they prevent you from spreading it. They only help reduce the symptoms.

This pandemic has pretty much turned into an endemic.
"The world is suffering more today from the good people who want to mind other men's business than it is from the bad people who are willing to let everybody look after their own individual affairs." - Clarence Darrow
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Smoove_B wrote: Wed Jan 10, 2024 3:08 pm :D

Still thought it was an awesome observation that D&D players will fight over a hat or a ring that gives a +1 against Death saving throw, but tell people to wear a mask? Never!
Good lord, no wonder the messaging is screwed up!

Masks give a +2 Situational bonus to your Con saves to resist disease. Vaccination gives you Advantage on that roll, plus later Recovery rolls, if needed. The two together create a +4 Situational bonus with Advantage.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

So you're saying that the vaccines prevent you from getting Covid? It was my understanding that they don't prevent you from getting it, nor do they prevent you from spreading it. They only help reduce the symptoms.
The original hope was that the vaccines might prevent infection and prevent spread, yes. However it's quite clear now that the current generation does neither and they function more like most other vaccines - reducing risk of hospitalization and death.

However, what I think is *still* getting lost in the mix is that repeat infections (even if you're vaccinated) is still problematic. For reasons we don't understand (yet) even vaccinated people are experiencing complications with repeat infections.

If we can develop and release a new generation of vaccines that prevent infection completely and stop spread, that would be a game changer - assuming people would use them. That is presumably what they're going for with the nasal mist vaccinations, but there's no firm approval schedule for those and without government funding pushing the process, these companies would then be looking at how much are these nasal mist vaccinations "worth" in the marketplace? Based on current data, apparently the answer is "not much" with ~19% vaccine acceptance rate for the Fall 2023 round.
We are not in an endemic situation, no. This is still a pandemic - just a new phase. To put it another way, if 2K+ deaths a week is endemic and we're all cool with that, then I am begging aliens to please abduct me tonight.
Last edited by Smoove_B on Wed Jan 10, 2024 3:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Moliere wrote: Wed Jan 10, 2024 3:19 pm
Smoove_B wrote: Wed Jan 10, 2024 1:32 pm
In the meantime, Smith says it’s important for people to understand that they still need to do everything they can to avoid getting COVID-19. That means staying up to date with vaccinations

They don't prevent, but they do a lot more than reduce the symptoms. They seriously reduce the chances that you'll contract it if exposed, plus they reduce the symptoms (including hospitalization), plus they improve recovery time, plus (unless it's changed), they reduce the odds of long-term or permanent effects.

And since you're less likely to get it, they reduce the number of people who are spreading it, which further reduces the number of people who are getting it, which further...
Pyperkub

Post by Pyperkub »

More on Long Covid, and how it can impact exercise and fatigue due to issues with Mitochondria
Hit the gym. Get back in shape.

That's what many patients with long COVID are told when they talk of the crushing fatigue that envelops them after even a light bout of physical activity.

These symptoms of exhaustion, or post-exertional malaise as it's called, are a hallmark of long COVID and similar complex illnesses like chronic fatigue syndrome or ME/CFS. ...

..."It is very clear that this is not a typical response to exercise."

Now research published this month in Nature Communications gives new weight to this assessment.

By taking biopsies from long COVID patients before and after exercising, scientists in the Netherlands constructed a startling picture of widespread abnormalities in muscle tissue that may explain this severe reaction to physical activity.

Among the most striking findings were clear signs that the cellular power plants, the mitochondria, are compromised and the tissue starved for energy.
Black Lives definitely Matter Lorini!

Also: There are three ways to not tell the truth: lies, damned lies, and statistics.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

I was hearing this anecdotally, but first I'm seeing it reported in the news:
It used to be that someone might test positive for the coronavirus one or two days after the onset of symptoms using a rapid test, Hudson said. Now, positive results might not show up until the fourth day after symptoms start.
What is causing the lag?

The delay in accurate test results is probably a result of people having accumulated immunity from COVID-19 over the years, whether from vaccinations or previous infections, Hudson said.

“It’s actually pushing back the time that people’s COVID tests are coming up positive. So some people are testing at Day 1 and Day 2 and saying, ‘Oh, it’s negative, I don’t have COVID,’” Hudson said. “If they probably tested themselves a couple of days later, there’s a pretty good chance that it actually would turn out to be COVID.”
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

How long until we reach the point where we should just assume that everyone has COVID, all the time?
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Zaxxon wrote: Thu Jan 11, 2024 1:26 pm How long until we reach the point where we should just assume that everyone has COVID, all the time?
March 17, 2020.
It's almost as if people are the problem.
Moliere

Post by Moliere »

Zaxxon wrote: Thu Jan 11, 2024 1:26 pm How long until we reach the point where we should just assume that everyone has COVID, all the time?
I've seen various estimates say that 3/4 of the population have had Covid. I would expect that number to be much higher. I don't know a single person who hasn't had it. That's my argument for this being an endemic. We are well past the point of being able to avoid getting it. There are things you can do to lessen the symptoms (e.g., vaccines and things like healthy lifestyle that boost your immune system), but assume new and interesting variants will be coming out every year like the flu.
"The world is suffering more today from the good people who want to mind other men's business than it is from the bad people who are willing to let everybody look after their own individual affairs." - Clarence Darrow
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

I haven't 'had' it. I've only been sick a couple of times since the whole thing started, and I tested negative each time (plus the symptoms never matched.) There is a really, really good chance that I've had it asymptomatically, though, especially since I spent most of the pandemic living with someone who worked in a hospital, and I spent the first year and a half living with someone in public school.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Moliere wrote: Thu Jan 11, 2024 1:42 pm but assume new and interesting variants will be coming out every year like the flu.
Except the flu circulates with a repeating pattern and when things change, generally we're able to respond.

I cannot emphasize enough that having COVID-19 in non-stop circulation since 2020 (2019?) is not normal. It's not a seasonal virus (like influenza); it has been sloshing around the globe for 5 years now. That is not endemic; that is pandemic (still). There is no established pattern yet for variants; I'm sure a new one is being cooked up right now based on the level of spread we're seeing here in American and worldwide. Will that new variant emerge in April as a variant of concern? Will we have another mini-wave then in June, spawning more variants for the Fall of 2024?
Isgrimnur wrote: Thu Jan 11, 2024 1:31 pm
March 17, 2020.
You joke, but this has been my standard OP now for ~59 months. I'm fucking tired.
pr0ner

Post by pr0ner »

Smoove_B wrote: Thu Jan 11, 2024 12:24 pm I was hearing this anecdotally, but first I'm seeing it reported in the news:
It used to be that someone might test positive for the coronavirus one or two days after the onset of symptoms using a rapid test, Hudson said. Now, positive results might not show up until the fourth day after symptoms start.
What is causing the lag?

The delay in accurate test results is probably a result of people having accumulated immunity from COVID-19 over the years, whether from vaccinations or previous infections, Hudson said.

“It’s actually pushing back the time that people’s COVID tests are coming up positive. So some people are testing at Day 1 and Day 2 and saying, ‘Oh, it’s negative, I don’t have COVID,’” Hudson said. “If they probably tested themselves a couple of days later, there’s a pretty good chance that it actually would turn out to be COVID.”
I did this with the cold I had - tested the first couple of days of bad symptoms, then again a few days later. All negative.
Hodor.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Smoove_B wrote:
Moliere wrote: Thu Jan 11, 2024 1:42 pm but assume new and interesting variants will be coming out every year like the flu.
Except the flu circulates with a repeating pattern and when things change, generally we're able to respond.

I cannot emphasize enough that having COVID-19 in non-stop circulation since 2020 (2019?) is not normal. It's not a seasonal virus (like influenza); it has been sloshing around the globe for 5 years now. That is not endemic; that is pandemic (still). There is no established pattern yet for variants; I'm sure a new one is being cooked up right now based on the level of spread we're seeing here in American and worldwide. Will that new variant emerge in April as a variant of concern? Will we have another mini-wave then in June, spawning more variants for the Fall of 2024?
March 17, 2020.
You joke, but this has been my standard OP now for ~59 months. I'm fucking tired.
There was no joke intended. That’s when I went to ground and sent my team to remote as well.
It's almost as if people are the problem.
Alefroth

Post by Alefroth »

Moliere wrote: Thu Jan 11, 2024 1:42 pm We are well past the point of being able to avoid getting it.
Is that actual criteria for being a pandemic?
ImLawBoy
Forum Admin

Post by ImLawBoy »

Alefroth wrote: Thu Jan 11, 2024 4:02 pm
Moliere wrote: Thu Jan 11, 2024 1:42 pm We are well past the point of being able to avoid getting it.
It's also inaccurate. 3/5 of my household (including myself) have managed to avoid getting it
That's my purse! I don't know you!
stessier

Post by stessier »

ImLawBoy wrote: Thu Jan 11, 2024 4:05 pm
Alefroth wrote: Thu Jan 11, 2024 4:02 pm
It's also inaccurate. 3/5 of my household (including myself) have managed to avoid getting it
3/4 of mine has never had it.
I require a reminder as to why raining arcane destruction is not an appropriate response to all of life's indignities. - Vaarsuvius
Running____2014: 1300.55 miles____2015: 2036.13 miles____2016: 1012.75 miles____2017: 1105.82 miles____2018: 1318.91 miles__2019: 2000.00 miles
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

#asfarasyouknow
stessier

Post by stessier »

Zaxxon wrote: Thu Jan 11, 2024 4:16 pm#asfarasyouknow
Fair - would have been asymptomatic (we've been remarkably healthy since 2020) - but fair.
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

I'm not trying to be snarky. At this point I think barring folks who have been Smooving it up for 3.8 years and still never see others sans masks, etc, it's pretty likely that everyone's been pretty solidly exposed.
Moliere

Post by Moliere »

Zaxxon wrote: Thu Jan 11, 2024 4:28 pm I'm not trying to be snarky. At this point I think barring folks who have been Smooving it up for 3.8 years and still never see others sans masks, etc, it's pretty likely that everyone's been pretty solidly exposed.
This. My aunt lives in the mountains of NC. Avoiding even church for years and finally got it a couple months ago. It reminds me of "The End of the Whole Mess" by King. Eventually it will find you.
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

I've probably had it symptomatically twice but never tested positive, so I've never had it! I took a home test one time.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
Pyperkub

Post by Pyperkub »

Moliere wrote: Thu Jan 11, 2024 4:39 pm
Zaxxon wrote: Thu Jan 11, 2024 4:28 pm I'm not trying to be snarky. At this point I think barring folks who have been Smooving it up for 3.8 years and still never see others sans masks, etc, it's pretty likely that everyone's been pretty solidly exposed.
This. My aunt lives in the mountains of NC. Avoiding even church for years and finally got it a couple months ago. It reminds me of "The End of the Whole Mess" by King. Eventually it will find you.
Yup, so everyone needs to get vaxxed! ;).

Hell, we're losing herd immunity to other diseases because of these idiots.
The US may be heading to a "dangerous vaccination tipping point," with immunization rates falling so low that population-level immunity is now at risk, and we will likely see thousands of needless deaths this respiratory virus season...

...record
Data from the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention last year found that, for the third consecutive year, vaccination rates among kindergartners had continued to slip, with rates of non-medical vaccination exemptions rising to an all-time high. There are now 10 states with vaccination exemption rates over 5 percent, meaning that even if clinicians and health officials manage to vaccinate all non-exempt children, the state will not be able to reach the target of 95 percent coverage needed to curb the spread of disease on a population level
Psst. Stop calling it vaccine hesitancy, It's vaccine stupidity.
"Regrettably, pediatric vaccine hesitancy now has been responsible for several measles outbreaks in the US, including a recent one in central Ohio involving local-acquired cases in 85 children, 36 of whom (42 percent) had to be hospitalized for complications," Califf and Marks write.

Also: There are three ways to not tell the truth: lies, damned lies, and statistics.
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

Isgrimnur wrote: Thu Jan 11, 2024 2:54 pm
Smoove_B wrote:

March 17, 2020.
There was no joke intended. That’s when I went to ground and sent my team to remote as well.
We intended to only test around that time but on 17th while my company was testing if we could handle the load and responsibility, the colleges went crazy after the state asked us to be responsible, so on the 18th the stay at home orders rolled out. As usual, all my prep work barely paid off when the company panicked because they resisted the changes I insisted. They miss me. :D Only now that I'm two years out, I'm sooo out of touch and I have no idea how I kept up what I kept up.

Also, I've had no symptom of any sickness since late 2019, even as I somehow came down with TB.

Edit: I take that back. I got a sore throat in 2021 and tested negative at home, and when and got tested at a clinic, negative.
Moliere

Post by Moliere »

Pyperkub wrote: Thu Jan 11, 2024 4:44 pm Yup, so everyone needs to get vaxxed! ;).

Hell, we're losing herd immunity to other diseases because of these idiots.
The US may be heading to a "dangerous vaccination tipping point," with immunization rates falling so low that population-level immunity is now at risk, and we will likely see thousands of needless deaths this respiratory virus season...

...record
Data from the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention last year found that, for the third consecutive year, vaccination rates among kindergartners had continued to slip, with rates of non-medical vaccination exemptions rising to an all-time high. There are now 10 states with vaccination exemption rates over 5 percent, meaning that even if clinicians and health officials manage to vaccinate all non-exempt children, the state will not be able to reach the target of 95 percent coverage needed to curb the spread of disease on a population level
Psst. Stop calling it vaccine hesitancy, It's vaccine stupidity.
"Regrettably, pediatric vaccine hesitancy now has been responsible for several measles outbreaks in the US, including a recent one in central Ohio involving local-acquired cases in 85 children, 36 of whom (42 percent) had to be hospitalized for complications," Califf and Marks write.
Apples and oranges?

Isn't the difference that measles vaccine prevents getting measles, whereas Covid vaccine reduces symptoms? And isn't it safe to say that the vast majority of people who die or have severe symptoms are elderly or those with co-morbidities like obesity and diabetes? To say everyone is equally in danger from Covid seems a bit disingenuous. Again, this is based on the Covid vaccine neither preventing the spread nor preventing receiving it from someone so herd immunity doesn't apply.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Moliere wrote: Thu Jan 11, 2024 7:08 pm Isn't the difference that measles vaccine prevents getting measles, whereas Covid vaccine reduces symptoms?
The article isn't really about comparing Measles and COVID-19. Instead, it's pointing out the the [R&P] nature of vaccination is causing vaccination rates to fall nationwide. And when that happens, one of the first diseases you're going to start seeing increased cases of is Measles as it's one of the most highly infectious disease agents we know of.
And isn't it safe to say that the vast majority of people who die or have severe symptoms are elderly or those with co-morbidities like obesity and diabetes?
True.
To say everyone is equally in danger from Covid seems a bit disingenuous. Again, this is based on the Covid vaccine neither preventing the spread nor preventing receiving it from someone so herd immunity doesn't apply.
I'm not sure anyone is saying that. What people (like me) are saying is that the above statement (focused on elders and people with pre-exisiting health conditions) is one way minimizers have tried to dismiss anything related to COVID-19. "They're old" or "They're fat", suggesting (to various degrees) people deserve illness. To be clear, I'm not saying you're doing that here, but there are (and have been) a ton of people that have effectively been told (directly, indirectly) we don't care about your health conditions; get over it.

Instead, people (like me) are saying we should try to be more aware of the millions that are living with chronic conditions and perhaps consider making places that they need to go (banks, schools, grocery stores, hospitals) safer places.

It also completely disregards the very real nature of Long Covid, which is affecting an untold number of people (in all age ranges, with various levels of pre-existing health) each and every time a new wave washes over us.

As noted earlier in the thread (one page back):
The able and the disabled aren’t two different kinds of people but the same people at different times.
Pyperkub

Post by Pyperkub »

Yeah, I'm comparing apples and rotten apples ;)

Moliere

Post by Moliere »

Smoove_B wrote: Thu Jan 11, 2024 8:01 pm Instead, people (like me) are saying we should try to be more aware of the millions that are living with chronic conditions and perhaps consider making places that they need to go (banks, schools, grocery stores, hospitals) safer places.
What are the options?
Social distancing? Fauci just confirmed the 6 feet of social distancing was not based on science. Which makes sense because we're constantly walking through other people's expired breath in public areas.

Masks? Outside of a hospital setting I have very rarely seen them used properly (i.e., N95, covering mouth AND nose, no gaps along the border, and following mask protocol with how they are put on and taken off). Also, in schools I am very concerned about their effects on children's development.

Vaccines? Well, they don't stop the spread.

I would certainly highly recommend that those people with chronic conditions get vaccinated, do some extra hand washing, and follow proper mask protocols. But yelling at me for walking my dog outside without a mask is a little silly.

Smoove_B wrote: Thu Jan 11, 2024 8:01 pm As noted earlier in the thread (one page back):
The able and the disabled aren’t two different kinds of people but the same people at different times.
:handgestures-thumbupleft:
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Moliere wrote: Thu Jan 11, 2024 8:23 pm What are the options?
I'm glad you asked. :)

First and foremost, testing needs to be (1) readily available and (2) low cost / free.

Second, employers need to be more flexible with people that are sick and not punishing them for needing to engage in self-care or care of someone else (like a child).

Next, masks need to be made available like tests - low cost and free for when there are surges. Are n95 masks the best? Absolutely. Is there still a benefit to wearing any number of other types of masks? Yes, though the specifics will vary. At some point the narrative changed to a binary one (once again) - masks don't protect you 100% so they're not worth it.

Instead, it should be that all masks help; some masks help more than others. Wear the mask that is most comfortable, but wear it properly - even if it's a paper mask.

We've lost the narrative overall. People are still focusing on hand washing for a respiratory disease. Unless you're putting your fingers in your lungs, hand washing is not going to be nearly as helpful as wearing a mask. I mean, wash your hands - that's a good idea for any number of other illnesses, but for COVID-19? Masking is your current best bet in terms of reducing the number of virons (viral particles) you're breathing in. Fewer particles means reduced chances that you're inhaling an infectious dose (the number of virus particles needed to cause a clinical infection).

This is why monitoring air quality is important - it's telling us (indirectly) what the chances are that we're breathing in concentrated virons (or other pathogens) because the air isn't being exchanged enough (fresh air mixed in with exhaled air).

Finally, we need to be more flexible (socially/culturally) with the idea of masking, especially during seasonal outbreaks of respiratory illnesses.

I don't want to focus too much on this:
Also, in schools I am very concerned about their effects on children's development.
...but it's another "freedom" rallying cry that has no merit. Kids do best in school when they're feeling safe and supported. To date there hasn't been any respectable study demonstrating a negative outcome with children being masked in school. What it has demonstrated is that parents aren't reading to their kids at home. I could probably expound more on this on the other side of the fence, so I'll stop here.

If that's all too much, we need a cultural sea change movement. We need whatever happened in the 70s that made openly drinking alcohol while driving unacceptable. We need whatever happened in the 1980s where driving around without a seat belt became unacceptable. We need whatever happened in the 1990s and early 2000s where it became unacceptable to expose people in bars and restaurants to cigarette smoke to happen.

Again, that tilts into R&P and I'm guessing we're not even close to where we need to be where the spread of communicable diseases becomes a cultural movement - going back to the link shared earlier regarding how vaccination is now being vilified and rates are dropping; we're going backwards.
Pyperkub

Post by Pyperkub »

Moliere wrote: Thu Jan 11, 2024 8:23 pm
Smoove_B wrote: Thu Jan 11, 2024 8:01 pm Instead, people (like me) are saying we should try to be more aware of the millions that are living with chronic conditions and perhaps consider making places that they need to go (banks, schools, grocery stores, hospitals) safer places.
What are the options?
Social distancing? Fauci just confirmed the 6 feet of social distancing was not based on science. Which makes sense because we're constantly walking through other people's expired breath in public areas.

Masks? Outside of a hospital setting I have very rarely seen them used properly (i.e., N95, covering mouth AND nose, no gaps along the border, and following mask protocol with how they are put on and taken off). Also, in schools I am very concerned about their effects on children's development.

Vaccines? Well, they don't stop the spread.

I would certainly highly recommend that those people with chronic conditions get vaccinated, do some extra hand washing, and follow proper mask protocols. But yelling at me for walking my dog outside without a mask is a little silly.

Smoove_B wrote: Thu Jan 11, 2024 8:01 pm As noted earlier in the thread (one page back):
:handgestures-thumbupleft:
Vaccines definitely slow the spread. It's not as if this is a 0%/100% item, and the fact that most of the people who are against the Covid Vaccine are also now against every other vaccine is a HUGE issue, but it didn't start with Covid (whooping cough and measles were already starting to bounce back due to similar fear mongering), but covid vaccine hysteria and aversion has spilled over to ALL vaccines.

And yes, we're teetering on R&P, but to a degree, public health is always R&P. Especially in the past 10 years.

Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Yes, COVID-19 vaccinations are likely slowing spread by reducing the number of people that are symptomatic and making symptoms less severe overall for many people that are vaccinated.

I'm not sure I've seen a recent study trying to tease out what the current level of vaccine transmission reduction is; the pool of people that would be part of that study would be a genuine mess to try and control for and the confounding factors would be legion at this point.

But yes, there is another group of people actively saying "Covid is still here even after you forced me to vaccinate so I'm not vaccinating ever again because your stupid vaccines don't work."
And yes, we're teetering on R&P, but to a degree, public health is always R&P. Especially in the past 10 years.
This is my greatest career regret - truly believing (as I'd been taught) that public health wasn't political. It always was and I was treating it like it wasn't. I am doing everything in my power to fix that now.
Anonymous Bosch

Post by Anonymous Bosch »

Smoove_B wrote: Thu Jan 11, 2024 9:05 pm
This is my greatest career regret - truly believing (as I'd been taught) that public health wasn't political. It always was and I was treating it like it wasn't. I am doing everything in my power to fix that now.
Heh, if your takeaway from this whole fustercluck as a public health official is that politics weren't pushed hard enough? Gird your loins for the end results to increasingly resemble an Aesop's fable:

"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." — P. J. O'Rourke
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Anonymous Bosch wrote: Thu Jan 11, 2024 9:41 pm Heh, if your takeaway from this whole fustercluck as a public health official is that politics weren't pushed hard enough? Gird your loins for the end results to increasingly resemble an Aesop's fable
Not quite. My takeaway from all this was to underestimate how strongly politics would influence public health practice. For 25+ years I've been at the mercy of the political winds of change, but what happened with COVID-19 is off the charts.

It's not a matter of "pushing" politics, but in failing to realize what our collective stance on trying to keep the practice of public health largely apolitical would come back and bite us in the ass.