COVID-19 treatment and vaccine update thread

Everything else!

Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

Smoove_B

Re: COVID-19 treatment and vaccine update thread

Post by Smoove_B »

stessier wrote: Thu Oct 28, 2021 3:21 pm I thought I also read anyone at high risk due to their work qualified as well (and that manufacturing was considered high risk).
Yup. Same as the original offering. Higher risk jobs should definitely be getting the booster if the time is right; would not hesitate.
Maybe next year, maybe no go
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Regarding how the rollout for 5-11 year olds might look:

Only 27% of parents with kids ages 5-11 say they will get their child vaccinated right away, a decrease from 34% in September — according to the latest @KFF Vaccine Monitor. 30% say they will definitely not get their child vaccinated. We have work to do.
Not great.
FishPants
Server WhOOre

Post by FishPants »

Rumpy wrote: Thu Oct 28, 2021 2:24 pm While my Province has removed most restrictions including reduced capacity, it comes at a time when my region is actually trending in the opposite with one of the highest in the Province at the moment. I've heard of recommendations to not relax the measures until March, which I'd agree with.
Maybe a circuit breaker lockdown, but at this point I have to disagree without the virus changing a whole lot -- if people aren't vaxxed now? Well, they made their bed. I'd like to see kids have an opportunity mind you, but I'm seriously over this fucking anti-vax minority holding everyone hostage. Time to cull the herd once these kids are gtg.

I've got two trips booked next year now with my family, we've lost enough time over these selfish dicks.
No.
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

And the wife and I have gotten our Moderna booster shots. The biggest issue was were to place the new info strip on the CDC cards, since the wife had both her vaccine shots info strips on the front and the tech who did mine placed the first on the front, the second on the back. Our tech decided just to put the booster info strip in between the two on her card and on the bottom front of my card. Weird, but since they are all dated it will make sense eventually.

Good timing with shots, in less than three weeks we're off on our anniversary trip and the following week is a Thanksgiving trip to see her family, who we haven't seen in two years. Not that we were worried for us, since we just got back from a couple of weeks in Oklahoma, but the wife has several child relatives and every little bit helps to protect them.
My father said that anything is interesting if you bother to read about it - Michael C. Harrold
Rumpy

Post by Rumpy »

FishPants wrote: Thu Oct 28, 2021 7:51 pm
Rumpy wrote: Thu Oct 28, 2021 2:24 pm While my Province has removed most restrictions including reduced capacity, it comes at a time when my region is actually trending in the opposite with one of the highest in the Province at the moment. I've heard of recommendations to not relax the measures until March, which I'd agree with.
Maybe a circuit breaker lockdown, but at this point I have to disagree without the virus changing a whole lot -- if people aren't vaxxed now? Well, they made their bed. I'd like to see kids have an opportunity mind you, but I'm seriously over this fucking anti-vax minority holding everyone hostage. Time to cull the herd once these kids are gtg.

I've got two trips booked next year now with my family, we've lost enough time over these selfish dicks.
The arguments seem to be that it would be easier to relax the restrictions and see how things are in the Spring given the history of counts being higher in the winter.

But yes, I'm tired of the anti-vaxers as well, and I'm sick of them protesting in front of the hospitals like they're doing locally. "Do no harm" they say, and I can't help but chuckle that they're doing more than harm by refusing, and yet they're the first to complete that things haven't gone back to normal.
PC:
Ryzen 5 3600
32GB RAM
2x1TB NVMe Drives
GTX 1660 Ti
Ralph-Wiggum

Post by Ralph-Wiggum »

I wonder if my semi-bad reaction to the booster was because I got mine before they decided the Moderna booster to a half dose. So, basically, a got a third full dose shot as my booster.
Black Lives Matter
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

I scheduled my Moderna expansion pack for tomorrow afternoon. Will be nice to have that done.

One question - do I need to bring my old vaccination card (with my two Pfizer shots on it)? I still have it, but it's in my office downtown. I can go downtown to get it, but wouldn't mind avoiding the trip if it doesn't matter.
Black Lives Matter.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Ralph-Wiggum wrote: Fri Oct 29, 2021 8:56 am I wonder if my semi-bad reaction to the booster was because I got mine before they decided the Moderna booster to a half dose. So, basically, a got a third full dose shot as my booster.
Could be. You're definitely protected now. :D
El Guapo wrote: Fri Oct 29, 2021 9:41 am One question - do I need to bring my old vaccination card (with my two Pfizer shots on it)? I still have it, but it's in my office downtown. I can go downtown to get it, but wouldn't mind avoiding the trip if it doesn't matter.
I'd get it. Having it all on one card will be easier. The pharmacist also used my card as a way to verify my prior to vaccinations as I don't think anything was in her local system showing my status.
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

El Guapo wrote: Fri Oct 29, 2021 9:41 am I scheduled my Moderna expansion pack for tomorrow afternoon. Will be nice to have that done.

One question - do I need to bring my old vaccination card (with my two Pfizer shots on it)? I still have it, but it's in my office downtown. I can go downtown to get it, but wouldn't mind avoiding the trip if it doesn't matter.
I dunno about need but I did and they put the new info on the existing card, so I have one card tracking the initial purchase, the patch, and the dlc.
Archinerd

Post by Archinerd »

I used my same card too.
I take a picture or make a copy of it too, just in case.
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

Ralph-Wiggum wrote: Fri Oct 29, 2021 8:56 am I wonder if my semi-bad reaction to the booster was because I got mine before they decided the Moderna booster to a half dose. So, basically, a got a third full dose shot as my booster.
My wife and I got half-doses of Moderna as boosters last night. This morning she felt "lousy", which is her way of summing up general body aches and pains. I was fine this morning but I'm starting to feel a bit "lousy" myself now. And both of us have aches in the shoulders where we got our shots, so I guess it show that the shots are working :roll:.
My father said that anything is interesting if you bother to read about it - Michael C. Harrold
Max Peck

Post by Max Peck »

Ontario will be laying out it's booster roadmap next week.

Ontario to release plan for COVID-19 vaccine boosters next week, health minister says
Ontario will release its plan next week for administering third doses of COVID-19 vaccine, the health minister said Friday, after Canada's National Advisory Committee on Immunization (NACI) recommended booster shots for adults aged 80 and older and suggested some other groups could also become eligible.
In a tweet posted after NACI's announcement, Health Minister Christine Elliott said the province's plan will include "information to all Ontarians on when they can expect to receive a third dose" of COVID-19 vaccine.

Ontario is currently offering third shots to long-term care residents, transplant recipients, some cancer patients and people receiving specific medications.
"What? What? What?" -- The 14th Doctor

It's not enough to be a good player... you also have to play well. -- Siegbert Tarrasch
hitbyambulance

Post by hitbyambulance »

someone i know got J&J about half a year ago. the injection site grew into a hard, round itchy megawelt that lasted for a _month_, simmered down after a course of anti-inflammatories into a hard patch of skin, kept acting up over more months, and finally blew up into what the doctor called a 'complex cyst' that seems to now need surgery to remove. i told her to report that to the vaccine adverse reaction site.
Ralph-Wiggum

Post by Ralph-Wiggum »

It sounds like an infection which makes me wonder if the needle or injection site wasn’t completely sterilized.
Black Lives Matter
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

jztemple2 wrote: Fri Oct 29, 2021 12:31 pm
My wife and I got half-doses of Moderna as boosters last night. This morning she felt "lousy", which is her way of summing up general body aches and pains. I was fine this morning but I'm starting to feel a bit "lousy" myself now. And both of us have aches in the shoulders where we got our shots, so I guess it show that the shots are working :roll:.
Thirty-eight hours later and I'm finally feeling better. I think the booster kicked my ass worse than the second shot. Funny thing is that I didn't start feelng bad till eighteen hours after the shot and then it was pretty bad for the next twelve or so. The wife felt worse than I did. But at least I'm all up to snuff now and going for my morning walk.
stessier

Post by stessier »

Scheduled to get my Moderna booster on Friday.
I require a reminder as to why raining arcane destruction is not an appropriate response to all of life's indignities. - Vaarsuvius
Global Steam Wishmaslist Tracking
Running____2014: 1300.55 miles____2015: 2036.13 miles____2016: 1012.75 miles____2017: 1105.82 miles____2018: 1318.91 miles__2019: 2000.00 miles
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

I've been putting off the booster waiting for a few day stretch where I don't have critical engagements. The second dose wiped me out and I want a cushion for the booster. Looks like it will be this week.

We have a menu of Pfizer, Moderna, and J&J to choose from. Apparently mixing improves efficacy. I had Pfizer for 1 and 2. Not sure what to pick for the booster. Leaning towards Pfizer despite the possible bump.
" Hey OP, listen to my advice alright." -Tha General
"No scientific discovery is named after its original discoverer." -Stigler's Law of Eponymy, discovered by Robert K. Merton

MYT
gilraen

Post by gilraen »

LawBeefaroni wrote: Mon Nov 01, 2021 3:33 pm We have a menu of Pfizer, Moderna, and J&J to choose from. Apparently mixing improves efficacy. I had Pfizer for 1 and 2. Not sure what to pick for the booster. Leaning towards Pfizer despite the possible bump.
I think the latest stuff I read mentioned that Moderna booster edged out the Pfizer booster (for someone who had 2 doses of Pfizer) - but only by a very tiny amount. So you are probably fine with either one.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Plan to get a 3rd pfizer. Didn't have any reaction but a slightly sore arm each time so I like that.
--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

FWIW yesterday (after my Moderna chaser) my vaxxed arm was very sore (materially worse than the prior vaccinations), and I felt maybe mild nausea, but nothing major.

I'm getting screwed by the lack of side effects. I keep hoping that they'll give me a day off from child care, but they never come through. :(
Black Lives Matter.
Ralph-Wiggum

Post by Ralph-Wiggum »

LawBeefaroni wrote: Mon Nov 01, 2021 3:33 pm I've been putting off the booster waiting for a few day stretch where I don't have critical engagements. The second dose wiped me out and I want a cushion for the booster. Looks like it will be this week.

We have a menu of Pfizer, Moderna, and J&J to choose from. Apparently mixing improves efficacy. I had Pfizer for 1 and 2. Not sure what to pick for the booster. Leaning towards Pfizer despite the possible bump.
I think the general belief is that Moderna > Pfizer >>>>>>>>>> J&J.
Black Lives Matter
dbt1949

Post by dbt1949 »

The VA has boosters available now.
Ye Olde Farte
Double Ought Forty
aka dbt1949
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

I won't be around (unfortunately), but the word on the street is that the vote being held today will happen around 4pm. Hopefully they announce when vaccinations will then be available (later this week?) nationwide.
naednek

Post by naednek »

surprised nobody updated.

APPROVED!
hepcat - "I agree with Naednek"
ImLawBoy
Forum Admin

Post by ImLawBoy »

I've registered the twins, and now I'm waiting for my official e-mail invite to schedule appointments. The oldest just had major surgery and his surgeon wants to wait 6 weeks for him to get the vaccine, so we'll still be on high alert for a bit.
That's my purse! I don't know you!
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

Walk-ins already up and running at work, will probably get the kids their first on Friday.
"No scientific discovery is named after its original discoverer." -Stigler's Law of Eponymy, discovered by Robert K. Merton

MYT
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

Pediatrician's office says they'll start setting up appointments tomorrow. Also checking pharmacies in the area, but no one is scheduling appointments for 5 - 11 yet. We'll see - hopefully soon.
Black Lives Matter.
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

ALSO - I have a rash on my left leg that's apparently infected. I was talking with my doctor about it, and he said that he was going to prescribe a "horse pill" for me. I was like uhhh...what was that about a horse pill? Apparently he just meant that the pill (an antibiotic) is physically large.

Listen doc, maybe before 2021 you could joke about prescribing horse medicine to people and not be taken at face value, but not anymore.
Black Lives Matter.
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

El Guapo wrote: Wed Nov 03, 2021 1:18 pm ALSO - I have a rash on my left leg that's apparently infected. I was talking with my doctor about it, and he said that he was going to prescribe a "horse pill" for me. I was like uhhh...what was that about a horse pill? Apparently he just meant that the pill (an antibiotic) is physically large.

Listen doc, maybe before 2021 you could joke about prescribing horse medicine to people and not be taken at face value, but not anymore.
:D
"Horse pill" is pretty common 'round these parts to mean "large pill". Enough so that I would never have made the connection to ivermectin. But I get your double-take.

MYT
ImLawBoy
Forum Admin

Post by ImLawBoy »

LawBeefaroni wrote: Wed Nov 03, 2021 1:05 pm Walk-ins already up and running at work, will probably get the kids their first on Friday.
I made appointments for the twins at Lurie, but couldn't get anything until next Friday (11/12). If we can get walk-ins at your hospital, let me know and I'll bring them over! (And cancel the Lurie appointments and let someone else have them, of course.)
That's my purse! I don't know you!
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

ImLawBoy wrote: Wed Nov 03, 2021 2:12 pm
LawBeefaroni wrote: Wed Nov 03, 2021 1:05 pm Walk-ins already up and running at work, will probably get the kids their first on Friday.
I made appointments for the twins at Lurie, but couldn't get anything until next Friday (11/12). If we can get walk-ins at your hospital, let me know and I'll bring them over! (And cancel the Lurie appointments and let someone else have them, of course.)
PM sent.

MYT
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

LawBeefaroni wrote: Wed Nov 03, 2021 2:06 pm
El Guapo wrote: Wed Nov 03, 2021 1:18 pm ALSO - I have a rash on my left leg that's apparently infected. I was talking with my doctor about it, and he said that he was going to prescribe a "horse pill" for me. I was like uhhh...what was that about a horse pill? Apparently he just meant that the pill (an antibiotic) is physically large.

:D
"Horse pill" is pretty common 'round these parts to mean "large pill". Enough so that I would never have made the connection to ivermectin. But I get your double-take.
I was like, I'm *pretty sure* he's not prescribing invermectin for me or something like that, BUT seems worth a follow-up question.
Black Lives Matter.
Max Peck

Post by Max Peck »

Ontario laid out it's booster dose roadmap today.

Enlarge Image
"What? What? What?" -- The 14th Doctor

It's not enough to be a good player... you also have to play well. -- Siegbert Tarrasch
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

So much for the kids vaccine being widely available upon approval.

I called the kid's medical group today. It's a very large group of hundreds of physicians and dozens of locations. They have no idea when they will get the vaccine, so they cannot yet take appointments or provide any guidance about it.

I was hoping to get them done as soon as possible since we're going to a water park in 10 days.
Black Lives Matter
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

Is there a reason younger kids can't get it at a pharmacy like everyone else? I don't know if consultation with a pediatrician is a requirement or the dosage is different or something (Chicago area is special). Just curious.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

coopasonic wrote: Wed Nov 03, 2021 5:02 pm Is there a reason younger kids can't get it at a pharmacy like everyone else? I don't know if consultation with a pediatrician is a requirement or the dosage is different or something (Chicago area is special). Just curious.
I believe that they will be able to (I know CVS and Walgreens among others will be giving 5-11 vaccinations in addition to the other vaccinations). I think the issue is that 5-11 year olds are getting a smaller dose (since they are, you know, smaller), so they need to distribute the pediatric dose to pharmacies and other places across the country in order to give the vaccinations.
Black Lives Matter.
stessier

Post by stessier »

Got my SpikeVax booster. It's a half dose of the normal vaccine. I'm assuming this means they've been able to shrink the microchips substantially.
I require a reminder as to why raining arcane destruction is not an appropriate response to all of life's indignities. - Vaarsuvius
Global Steam Wishmaslist Tracking
Running____2014: 1300.55 miles____2015: 2036.13 miles____2016: 1012.75 miles____2017: 1105.82 miles____2018: 1318.91 miles__2019: 2000.00 miles
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

stessier wrote: Fri Nov 05, 2021 12:49 pm Got my SpikeVax booster. It's a half dose of the normal vaccine. I'm assuming this means they've been able to shrink the microchips substantially.
I finally understand the chip shortage!
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

Got the kids vaccinated at work. Dropped them off with the wife at 7:30, had to relieve her at 10, they got jabbed by 10:30. So a 3 hour wait. CPS is closed so everyone was trying to get them in. They had to shut down walk ins.

No supply issue, the problem is registration bottlenecks. Many kids aren't in the system and don't have IDs so it is slow.

MYT
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

Jeff V wrote: Wed Nov 03, 2021 4:58 pm So much for the kids vaccine being widely available upon approval.

I called the kid's medical group today. It's a very large group of hundreds of physicians and dozens of locations. They have no idea when they will get the vaccine, so they cannot yet take appointments or provide any guidance about it.

I was hoping to get them done as soon as possible since we're going to a water park in 10 days.
What hospital system?

MYT