COVID-19 treatment and vaccine update thread

Everything else!

Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

stessier

Re: COVID-19 treatment and vaccine update thread

Post by stessier »

ImLawBoy wrote: Fri Sep 30, 2022 12:20 pm Got my bivalent and flu shots today. No effects 45 minutes out!
Posting without a device of some sort is not normal.
I require a reminder as to why raining arcane destruction is not an appropriate response to all of life's indignities. - Vaarsuvius
Global Steam Wishmaslist Tracking
Running____2014: 1300.55 miles____2015: 2036.13 miles____2016: 1012.75 miles____2017: 1105.82 miles____2018: 1318.91 miles__2019: 2000.00 miles
FishPants
Server WhOOre

Post by FishPants »

Well a week after our bivalent shots my wife has come down with Covid for the first time that we are aware of - thankfully it seems to be on the heavy cold side of things; but I'm wondering if the vaccinations will ever be able to keep pace with this thing. I'm fine, my kids have had a cough/cold for a week but continually test negative. Also the Ontario government guidance now is "24 hours after your symptoms start to improve, go ahead and go out" <-- that's not going to help the spread slow down.

We tried to do our part; but I think it's a lost battle at this point.
No.
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

FishPants wrote: Mon Oct 03, 2022 10:00 am I'm wondering if the vaccinations will ever be able to keep pace with this thing.
This generation of vaccines will never be able to stop transmission; the best they can do is prevent us from getting seriously ill. There are new vaccines in various stages of development and testing, such as the nasal sprays, that aim to knock out the virus before it can establish itself, and others that target all coronaviruses in general and theoretically won't be defeated by every new variant that comes along. Those could end the pandemic, but none of them are near deployment AFAIK.
FishPants
Server WhOOre

Post by FishPants »

So about 6 days after our booster my wife tested positive for Covid, with me about 4 days after her - who knows where she was infected since it's effectively maskless everywhere now. She had a bad cold more or less, it resolved in about 3 days, with the 4th day testing negative on a rapid. I've been about 6 days now since I first tested positive (granted that day was a very faint red line, no symptoms - because she had tested positive) - I have a light cold (lighter than my wife) but this is lasting WAAAY longer.. I think I'm on day 6, and now when I test it doesn't even make it to the control line on top before the T line is blazing red.

So here I sit on our thanksgiving isolating so my kids don't get it - and wondering if anyone even does this anymore? I had a few people ask "so you're just putting a mask on and still going out?" like it was nothing - and frankly the symptoms for me are fairly benign - but I couldn't get my head around intentionally putting people at risk.

Anyways just a "this sucks" post, but it could be a lot worse - whether that's the bivalent vaccine at work or just Omicron being lighter I will never know - but considering my wife was likely infected the day before her booster I'm not sure it did her any good - and me being a few days in on exposure, maybe a bit of help.
No.
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

We're a plague house now -- but so far, testing negative for covid. Kids and wife have had a horrible cough and cold over the past few weeks -- myself very mild though. My daughter is over hers, my son still has some effects, and my wife is in whopping cough territory when she gets home from work -- she slept on the couch last night.
Black Lives Matter
RunningMn9

Post by RunningMn9 »

Was going to get my bivalent booster, but then contracted nature’s booster instead. Symptoms have been pretty mild so far.
And in banks across the world
Christians, Moslems, Hindus, Jews
And every other race, creed, colour, tint or hue
Get down on their knees and pray
The raccoon and the groundhog neatly
Make up bags of change
But the monkey in the corner
Well he's slowly drifting out of range
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

I'm going to get both flu and covid boosters after my colonoscopy next week. Without telling me why, my instinct says I shouldn't get them before.
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

FDA has authorized the new boosters for kids. Come on, CDC. My kids are 2 of the eleven who are waiting for this; make it happen!
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

Tonight I mentioned that the cold I've been battling for the past four days feels a lot worse than covid did when I had that in June. On a whim, I took another covid test and got a clear positive result (I was negative two days ago). Wife, who's been suffering with the same cold symptoms a day longer than me, immediately took the other test from the same package and came out negative. Huh? That makes no sense at all. One of those must be wrong, as we pretty definitely have the same virus.

I'm going to test daily until my symptoms go away or I get a string of negatives, but I have some questions. If I get a negative result between now and Monday, should I go through with my colonoscopy on Tuesday morning? And if I really do have covid now, should I get the booster next week as planned, or wait three months?

I'll test again tomorrow morning in the hope that this was a false positive.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Kraken wrote: Sat Oct 15, 2022 9:08 pm If I get a negative result between now and Monday, should I go through with my colonoscopy on Tuesday morning?
A year ago I could tell you, but I honestly don't know what hospital policies are anymore. You should probably call on Monday and find out.
And if I really do have covid now, should I get the booster next week as planned, or wait three months?
You wouldn't not be able to get the booster next week; you just received nature's booster. The official recommendation is two months, but I really have seen more and more researchers, academics, etc... saying three months should be the minimum, 4-6 months better. Here, the trick is not to get COVID-19 again until that can happen. Twice is ~100 days is...not great.
I'll test again tomorrow morning in the hope that this was a false positive.
That's smart, but I would be more worried about false negative results than a false positive. If it popped, I'd assume you have it and it's likely wise to assume your wife has it as well.
Maybe next year, maybe no go
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

Thanks. They schedule these scopes months out so rescheduling isn't a trivial matter. I really want to get it over with. I already cut seeds, nuts, and raw vegetables from my diet as of last Thursday.

My first bout with covid was kind of a technicality. I started on Paxlovid within hours of testing positive, had no symptoms at all beyond a little fatigue, and tested negative as soon as the Paxlovid was gone. This time around I've already been sick for several days so Paxlovid ain't coming to the rescue. Fortunately, it just feels like a really bad cold and I think I'm already past the worst of it.

Wife is retesting right now. If she's negative again, mine might have been a false positive. We'll see how my tests go over the next couple of days.

Still going to get a flu shot next week regardless.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

I'm also getting battered by something. I'm better than I was on Wednesday night, but now I have this useless dry cough. I've tested negative twice already, but I'm going to test once more tomorrow, possibly using the modified sampling protocol that involves cheek and throat swabbing. However, I'm 90% sure my daughter caught a cold on a field trip and shared it with me last weekend and she's almost back to normal now. It is the first time I've been sick with anything respiratory in almost three years and I don't like it.

Hopefully you're both on the other side of it.

RE: Your colonoscopy, if they didn't require a COVID-19 test prior to the procedure, I'm not sure what to expect because it sounds like they don't care (which is...odd). Testing was SOP for a long time and for the ~6 heart procedures my mom's had over the last 8 months, she had to get a COVID-19 test every single time a few days prior. That said, they might ask you when you show up on Tuesday morning if you've had it or tested positive within the last [X] days and then kick you out if you say yes. It feels like it should be established ahead of time if that's their policy, but everything is upside down now.

RE: Flu shot, not sure what your local pharmacies are doing, but mine ask you up front if you've had a positive COVID-19 test in the last 14 days. If you answer yes, they won't vaccinate you (for anything) as you present a potential risk to them (their words) by being in the store. Oddly enough if you worked for these chain pharmacies they'd expect you back to work after 5 days, regardless of what your testing status is. Maybe get a job at a chain pharmacy this week, get vaccinated and then quit?

EDIT: Yeah, 3x negative tests over 5 days. The chances of that happening are slim if I actually had COVID.
Last edited by Smoove_B on Sat Oct 15, 2022 11:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

Zaxxon wrote: Wed Oct 12, 2022 10:16 am FDA has authorized the new boosters for kids. Come on, CDC. My kids are 2 of the eleven who are waiting for this; make it happen!
My kids were scheduled to get boosted today...and I got the call this morning saying never mind, they need to wait until the new vaccine arrives.

Because my daughter really wanted to get a shot, we went to the clinic anyway and got them their flu shots. There was a kid before us screaming so loud I expected to see him missing his arms and legs. My kids didn't even bat an eye...the nurse said they were the best she's had all day.

About 3 years ago, I told them both to laugh when they got the shot. Since then, the kids are determined to take the shots like champs...today my 6 year old even volunteered to go first. That they'll never have a phobia regarding shots is a plus in the parental successes column.
Black Lives Matter
disarm

Post by disarm »

Kraken wrote:If I get a negative result between now and Monday, should I go through with my colonoscopy on Tuesday morning?
The protocol still being followed by the healthcare system in which I work requires that you wait 10 days after a positive test before undergoing an elective procedure if you are asymptomatic. If you have minimal symptoms (meaning no significant cough or respiratory difficulty), you are required to wait until 10 days after resolution of symptoms. If you have more than mild cough or other significant respiratory symptoms, it's recommended that elective procedures be postponed until 30 days from symptom onset.

There was a fair amount of data early on to suggest that undergoing procedures too soon after COVID infection placed patients it significantly elevated risk of post-op complication. Unfortunately, these studies have not been repeated with the current variants so it's not clear if this still holds true, but in the absence of better data, we're still erring on the side of caution.

Of course there is also the issue of potentially bringing COVID into the facility where you're having your procedure and infecting the staff or other patients. Is that a risk you want to take? It's probably best to reschedule...

Kraken

Post by Kraken »

disarm wrote: Sat Oct 15, 2022 11:28 pm Of course there is also the issue of potentially bringing COVID into the facility where you're having your procedure and infecting the staff or other patients. Is that a risk you want to take? It's probably best to reschedule...
I'll call them Monday morning and let them make the call. They might want my money more than they care about anyone's health, and they might take some of my money anyway if I cancel them instead of them canceling me. But most likely I'm not getting my butt probed just yet.

Wife's retest tonight was negative again. I didn't retest because the T line on my first test was dark and bold and unmistakable. I'll test again in the morning if y'all want to start a betting pool.
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

Another strong positive test this morning, and Wife is still negative. Either she had it and is already over it, or she hasn't gotten it yet. Either way, I'm trying to stay away from her to the extent possible in our small house.

Yesterday I walked 2.5 miles but today I got tired and light-headed after just 1 mile. I might be getting worse.

I'm 98% sure that Tuesday's colonoscopy ain't happening, but I'll continue my diet restrictions for one more day just in case. Since I'll be calling them a little less than 24 hours in advance, they have to be the ones who cancel it.
disarm

Post by disarm »

If you're continuing to test positive, there's no way you should be going for your colonoscopy on Tuesday. That would be putting your health, and that of everyone you encounter in the process, at unnecessary risk.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

disarm wrote: Sun Oct 16, 2022 2:11 pm If you're continuing to test positive, there's no way you should be going for your colonoscopy on Tuesday. That would be putting your health, and that of everyone you encounter in the process, at unnecessary risk.
I guess you didn't see this from earlier in the week?
Respondents gave a variety of reasons for their deception. Among them: They didn't think COVID was real or a big deal; they didn't feel sick; they couldn't miss work or stay home; they were following the advice of a public figure or celebrity; and finally, it was no one else's business.
NOTE: I'm not saying Kraken is a liar; I'm not saying anyone is a liar. I'm just not aware of a recent similar study covering another disease and this really surprised me (yes, I'm naive).
disarm

Post by disarm »

Unfortunately, I'm well aware of the not-infrequent decision to act that way. Even before COVID, I've faced dishonesty from patients even when they're putting themselves at risk. It's something that I've never understood, but it undoubtedly happens.

That's why I made my comment that someone testing positive for COVID two days before any procedure (especially one requiring anesthesia) should, without question, stay home. All we can do is encourage people to do the right thing and hope they make the right decision.
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

Smoove_B wrote: Sun Oct 16, 2022 2:28 pm
disarm wrote: Sun Oct 16, 2022 2:11 pm If you're continuing to test positive, there's no way you should be going for your colonoscopy on Tuesday. That would be putting your health, and that of everyone you encounter in the process, at unnecessary risk.
I guess you didn't see this from earlier in the week?
Respondents gave a variety of reasons for their deception. Among them: They didn't think COVID was real or a big deal; they didn't feel sick; they couldn't miss work or stay home; they were following the advice of a public figure or celebrity; and finally, it was no one else's business.
NOTE: I'm not saying Kraken is a liar; I'm not saying anyone is a liar. I'm just not aware of a recent similar study covering another disease and this really surprised me (yes, I'm naive).
I filled out the online intake forms today and listed covid as a health condition, so it's on the record -- no deception intended. They can charge me money if I don't cancel at least 24 hours in advance, and I can't do that over the weekend. If they cancel me, that avoids the potential fee. If Mass General Brigham CAN charge you money for any reason, it WILL charge you money. I'll call them first thing tomorrow morning and make sure they know that I listed covid on my pre-registration, but I want them to initiate rescheduling.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

All reasonable. I would be surprised to learn they charge you as that would incentivize being a liar. Again, nothing makes sense anymore.
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

It may or may not be my turn. Started to feel crappy Sat night, including sore throat. Spent all of Sunday in bed, by then also with congestion, muscle aches, but no fever. (This is all sounding like an omicron special to this point). Sunday night into this am I slept better. Took a home test this am, negative. Went for PCR later this am, no results yet.

I'm definitely feeling better today but still a runny nose and general malaise. What are the odds my PCR comes back positive?
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Seems likely, yeah. But there are so many other respiratory illnesses going around right now things are getting blurry. Also starting to see pressure to vaccinate for flu sooner than later as apparently we're off to an early season there as well (TX, GA, SC, TN, wtf is happening?) for some parts of 'merica.
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

Smoove_B wrote: Mon Oct 17, 2022 1:49 pm there are so many other respiratory illnesses going around right now
Fingers crossed. Oh, and you'll appreciate this one, Smoove--I opted not to pay for the 'rapid' PCR option (+$50, and makes the whole test not covered by insurance). So I asked the schnoz-swabber when I should expect results. She told me it could be 30+ hours. Why? Because they're running so many tests?

Nah--it's because no one's coming in for PCR tests anymore, so they're not running batches as often.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

That is indeed hilarious. I've been trying to read the signs here in my part of the country and it's getting harder and harder. Our positive tests being reported are actually close to what we were seeing in October of 2021, though anecdotally it *feels* like more people have COVID-19 now than this time last year, at least in my immediate and extended circle. It really could be we're in the "trough" after the summer surge and the next wave will indeed begin on schedule (here in the East) in about 5 weeks - like it did in 2021.

I will once again hope that Spring 2023 will be better, but I'm still firmly in the camp that believes we potentially have a rough ~6 months ahead of us (pause for surprise). Not deaths, but lots of "unforeseen staffing issues", weird supply chain disruptions, school closures for "flu", etc...

I guess we'll see.
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

Rapid PCR is no longer covered by insurance? What of all of the PSAs still playing about treatments only working early, so get tested early and follow up if you are diagnosed?

Also, locally pop up testing is starting to pop up again. It was gone all summer. I don't see a rise in reported cases, so I'm not sure what's up.
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

LordMortis wrote: Mon Oct 17, 2022 2:08 pm Rapid PCR is no longer covered by insurance? What of all of the PSAs still playing about treatments only working early, so get tested early and follow up if you are diagnosed?

Also, locally pop up testing is starting to pop up again. It was gone all summer. I don't see a rise in reported cases, so I'm not sure what's up.
I'm specifically talking about the rapid results option. I believe it's the same test. They just get your results back to you more quickly. Could be something specific to our local hospital group.
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

I reported my infection to my primary care doc in order to see if he'll give me Paxlovid. I have a telehealth visit with him in the morning. By then it will be four days since I was infected, so Pax might be pointless. IDK if doctors report cases to the state or not.

Also rescheduled my colonoscopy. Early January was their first opening.

I'm still testing positive and feeling sick. Wife is still negative.

Tottering off for a nap now.
hitbyambulance

Post by hitbyambulance »

still have avoided C19 this entire time, but this upcoming trip to Mexico City may finally end that streak. i intend to wear my respirator when indoors and my elastomer with P100 filters on the plane and all public transportation.
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

Zaxxon wrote: Mon Oct 17, 2022 1:56 pm
Smoove_B wrote: Mon Oct 17, 2022 1:49 pm there are so many other respiratory illnesses going around right now
Fingers crossed.
PCR came back negative. The (presumed) streak remains alive.

For the record, it was 27 hours to get my non-rushed results back.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Zaxxon wrote: Tue Oct 18, 2022 1:56 pm For the record, it was 27 hours to get my non-rushed results back.
That's kinda what I'd expect to see when there's no demand, quite frankly. So...yay? Regardless, good news. Keep on truckin'.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

So, here's a question, trying to figure out whether three people represent a pattern or just coincidence.

Can the recent COVID booster intensify seasonal allergy effects (which are, themselves, an out-of-control immune response?) Of the three people I know with seasonal allergies, all three were extremely sick for a week or more, consistent with really intense seasonal allergies, starting when the post booster 'blech' set in.
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

I've not seen anything linking those, no. I'd be more inclined to believe they had an actual exposure to COVID-19 or some other seasonal respiratory illness while they were being vaccinated based on anecdotal stories I've heard (related to lack of masking and being in a pharmacy, for example).
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

When Wife picked up my Paxlovid at CVS tonight she was told that Blue Cross denied coverage. Whaaaa? When she pushed back the pharmacist said he could override their decision, so I got it for free -- the same price I paid last time. BCBS apparently decided that because it was my second Rx in three months, I must be abusing Paxlovid. Yeah, I love that metallic taste.

I'm going to start taking it tomorrow even though I'll be 6 days into my infection. My doctor-friend said he has plenty of anecdotal evidence that Pax reduces symptoms and shortens the disease even when started late. Covid is still partying hard in my body, so I'll take it.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Smoove_B wrote: Tue Oct 18, 2022 9:22 pm I've not seen anything linking those, no. I'd be more inclined to believe they had an actual exposure to COVID-19 or some other seasonal respiratory illness while they were being vaccinated based on anecdotal stories I've heard (related to lack of masking and being in a pharmacy, for example).
I normally have seasonal allergies at the same time of year (coinciding with us having open windows in early fall), and they were way, way stronger than usual, but the actual allergen counts weren't all that high (and just to be safe, I did take multiple COVID tests during that time.) They started along with the booster +12-hour-blahs. Two other people I know with regular seasonal allergies had exactly the same results with exactly the same timing.

Yeah, and that's just it - it's anecdotal, and I make no suggestion otherwise. It was more of trying to see if there might be something behind it (like the vaccine kicking the immune system into overdrive, which might then intensify the allergen response.) But if there's nothing to back that up, yeah - probably just coincidence.

/edit - and I'm bringing it up here, and nowhere else, as I don't want to even begin to accidentally discourage anyone from boosting.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

When Wife picked up my Paxlovid at CVS tonight she was told that Blue Cross denied coverage. Whaaaa? When she pushed back the pharmacist said he could override their decision, so I got it for free -- the same price I paid last time. BCBS apparently decided that because it was my second Rx in three months, I must be abusing Paxlovid. Yeah, I love that metallic taste.
Ugh. What might be happening is the money in the federal coffers is running out. Remember, all the funds that were available were shifted into purchasing booster shots (that no one is taking) and away from things like RATs, Paxolovid and masks. This means in time everything will need to go through insurance (because everybody has insurance) and nothing will be free anymore. Your local pharmacy might be trying to stay ahead of the curve and make sure they're getting paid and not left holding the bag as no one knows when exactly when the reimbursement faucet will be turned off at the federal level.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Blackhawk wrote: Tue Oct 18, 2022 9:44 pm Yeah, and that's just it - it's anecdotal, and I make no suggestion otherwise. It was more of trying to see if there might be something behind it (like the vaccine kicking the immune system into overdrive, which might then intensify the allergen response.) But if there's nothing to back that up, yeah - probably just coincidence.
It's not a bad theory, I just haven't seen anything. Overwhelmingly, the COVID-19 vaccination is benign in terms of immune impact, meaning it shouldn't be stressing your body to the point where exposure to allergens would be more severe than normal. I'd probably chalk it up to coincidence and for whatever reason your allergies are a little tweaked this year. Mine were also a bit overactive and I'm not sure if that put me at increased risk for the head cold I've been dealing with for a week. I also made the mistake of having the windows open one night ~2 weeks ago when it was warm during the days but crisp at night, and have been paying for it since.

To your other point, that's what makes so much of the vaccination effort frustrating (and oddly enough investigating foodborne illness so difficult). There's a human brain tendency to associate the illness with something that just happened and instead it's usually coincidental or unrelated.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Smoove_B wrote: Tue Oct 18, 2022 9:58 pm To your other point, that's what makes so much of the vaccination effort frustrating (and oddly enough investigating foodborne illness so difficult). There's a human brain tendency to associate the illness with something that just happened and instead it's usually coincidental or unrelated.
The correlation/causation cliff is real, and it doesn't help that it's counter to evolutionary instinct. We're designed to associate negative experiences with the immediately preceding events as a defense mechanism. Eat food, feel bad, avoid that food.
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

Smoove_B wrote: Tue Oct 18, 2022 9:46 pm
Ugh. What might be happening is the money in the federal coffers is running out. Remember, all the funds that were available were shifted into purchasing booster shots (that no one is taking) and away from things like RATs, Paxolovid and masks. This means in time everything will need to go through insurance (because everybody has insurance) and nothing will be free anymore. Your local pharmacy might be trying to stay ahead of the curve and make sure they're getting paid and not left holding the bag as no one knows when exactly when the reimbursement faucet will be turned off at the federal level.
She also brought home four more free test kits -- we're going through a lot of old ones this week -- so there are still some old federal dollars sloshing around. But yeah, the pandemic is over so we can jolly well start paying for covid like we pay for every other gorram disease.
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

Kraken wrote: Wed Oct 19, 2022 1:57 am She also brought home four more free test kits -- we're going through a lot of old ones this week -- so there are still some old federal dollars sloshing around. But yeah, the pandemic is over so we can jolly well start paying for covid like we pay for every other gorram disease.

That must be nice. Even at CVS, if I want my "free" kits then I have to buy them and get reimbursed by Aetana (which CVS owns). It's a pretty intentional roadblock as far as I can tell.