COVID-19 treatment and vaccine update thread

Everything else!

Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Re: COVID-19 treatment and vaccine update thread

Post by LawBeefaroni »

Of course this is all happening on the tail end of bothering-to-do-anything. This was needed months ago.

Not to say we shouldn't do it now but its like handing out umbrellas towards the end of a thunderstorm. It's always going to rain again but it didn't help much this time.
" Hey OP, listen to my advice alright." -Tha General
"No scientific discovery is named after its original discoverer." -Stigler's Law of Eponymy, discovered by Robert K. Merton

MYT
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

LawBeefaroni wrote: Tue Jan 25, 2022 4:33 pm Of course this is all happening on the tail end of bothering-to-do-anything.
Yup. Just wait until the free COVID-19 test kits show up later this week or next with reagents that have been rendered useless because of the temperature.

At least the masks will help for the next surge and ideally be useful for highest-risk people that haven't been able to find them otherwise.
Maybe next year, maybe no go
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

My Meijer has two cashiers open during busy times and consistently under-filled shelves and a patronage of vocally entitled. The odds of me heading up there to save a couple of bucks on an N95 Mask because they might have one for "any customer who needs them." My Meijer hasn't even had masks for purchase anywhere I could find since at least when I conceded my washable masks were no longer effective and I needed to start buying something new.
Smoove_B wrote: Tue Jan 25, 2022 4:35 pm Yup. Just wait until the free COVID-19 test kits show up later this week or next with reagents that have been rendered useless because of the temperature.
When Max posted that right after I ordered my kit, I was :( . I then went to look up how Aetna will give away kits. I have to go out and buy kits and then apply re-imbursement through ???? and hope they recognize my claim and claim amount as being acceptable. My history of working with Aetna on stuff they don't pre-approve suggests that trying to re-coup $20 or $30 a pop is not worth the effort.
Last edited by LordMortis on Tue Jan 25, 2022 4:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

WebMD
The FDA has revised its emergency use authorization (EUA) for two monoclonal antibody combinations to treat mild-to-moderate COVID-19 because they are not effective against the dominant Omicron variant.

The drugs are bamlanivimab combined with etesevimab from Eli Lilly, which was authorized for use in February 2021, and casirivimab with imdevimab, from Regeneron, which received an EUA in November 2020.

The FDA action is in line with the National Institutes of Health (NIH) COVID-19 Treatment Guidelines Panel, which recently advised against use of the drugs due to reduced activity against Omicron and because real-time testing to identify rare, non-Omicron variants is not readily available.
It's almost as if people are the problem.
Alefroth

Post by Alefroth »

That's one of the most unwieldy to pronounce family of drugs there is.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Smoove_B wrote: Tue Jan 25, 2022 4:35 pm Yup. Just wait until the free COVID-19 test kits show up later this week or next with reagents that have been rendered useless because of the temperature.
I don't suppose they have any sort of indicator included to show if they've been compromised...
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

It's been just over two years since this all started. Before the supply lines got hit early on, a lot of us responded to our early warning system (Smoove) that it was likely to happen and put back some food.

After two years it's time to check your expiration dates. Dry goods are likely fine, but other expired stuff may not be.

And don't forget that if you put some water back, that needs changed every six months.
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

Blackhawk wrote: Tue Jan 25, 2022 5:52 pm
I don't suppose they have any sort of indicator included to show if they've been compromised...
According to Max's link (which may not be the same kits in the US. He was linked about objections mailed kits in Ontario), no, the whole point of his link was to say when these things sit below freezing, the tests go bad and you have no way of knowing if your clear liquid can't turn colors, always yielding a "you're not sick but you may want to get a real test if you're not convinced" result.
Max Peck

Post by Max Peck »

I did some more digging around. This article provides a bit more information on test kits available in the US. For the most part, it sounds like letting the kits get to temperatures below 0C/32F is no bueno.

Does cold weather impact your rapid COVID-19 test? It depends on the brand

A Quidel spokesperson said, "The QuickVue At-Home OTC COVID-19 Test should always be stored upon receipt according to the temperature printed on the kit box (59°F to 86°F or 15°C to 30°C). Quidel has performed studies that demonstrate the product performs as expected under different temperature conditions (i.e., heated and frozen conditions) encountered during shipping. If you have any concerns about the shipping conditions of your test kit, please contact the retailer where you purchased the test."

The FDA is the agency that regulates medical devices and it says all authorized tests “...should be stored and used in accordance with the authorized labeling.” Adding, “In most cases, the authorized instructions for use include that the test should be brought to room temperature prior to use.”

So the bottom line is – it depends on the brand of the test. So read the package and follow the instructions.

The FDA has more details on Antigen tests here. You can look up instructions for use by entering OTC in the search bar.

Lucira has quite a bit of data regarding the temperature testing they did on pages 20 and 21

Cue’s label specifically says: “Store the unopened Cue COVID-19 Test Cartridge Pack and the foil pouches inside the pack in the temperature range shown in the table below. Do not use a cartridge that has been stored outside of this temperature condition.”

SD Biosensor says: “Store the kit at 36-86 °F / 2-30 °C and protect from direct sunlight. The expiry date of the materials is indicated on the external packaging. Do not freeze the kit.”

CareStart says: “Store the test kit as packaged between 1 ~ 30°C. The test device must remain in the sealed pouch until use. Do not freeze any contents of the kit.”

InBios says: “The kit is designed to be stored at room temperature (15-30°C or 59-86°F) for the duration of its shelf life. Exposure to temperatures over 30°C or 86°F can impact the performance of the test and should be minimized. The kit should not be frozen or refrigerated.”

ACON Flowflex says: “The kit can be stored at temperatures between 36-86°F (2-30°C). The test is stable until the expiration date is printed on the sealed pouch. The test must remain in the sealed pouch until use. DO NOT FREEZE. Do not use after the expiration date.”
"What? What? What?" -- The 14th Doctor

It's not enough to be a good player... you also have to play well. -- Siegbert Tarrasch
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Don't tell us to follow the instructions. Tell the USPS. And the problem is that we won't know for sure what they were exposed to when they arrive.
If you have any concerns about the shipping conditions of your test kit, please contact the retailer where you purchased the test.
Does anyone have Joe Biden's number?
stessier

Post by stessier »

Blackhawk wrote: Tue Jan 25, 2022 10:33 pm Does anyone have Joe Biden's number?
It's public info - (202) 456-1111.
I require a reminder as to why raining arcane destruction is not an appropriate response to all of life's indignities. - Vaarsuvius
Global Steam Wishmaslist Tracking
Running____2014: 1300.55 miles____2015: 2036.13 miles____2016: 1012.75 miles____2017: 1105.82 miles____2018: 1318.91 miles__2019: 2000.00 miles
pr0ner

Post by pr0ner »

My government issued tests are waiting for me at my mailbox at home. Hopefully not too long that it makes the tests go bad (it was delivered just before 3; I won't get home til 6:20 or so) since it's hovering around freezing today.
Hodor.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

I'd have to go to 2021 to find a day when the temperature didn't dip below zero here. I don't have high hopes for the test, and I hate not knowing if they'll be valid. That's worse than not having them at all.
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

pr0ner wrote: Wed Jan 26, 2022 5:10 pm My government issued tests are waiting for me at my mailbox at home. Hopefully not too long that it makes the tests go bad (it was delivered just before 3; I won't get home til 6:20 or so) since it's hovering around freezing today.
Wow. I ordered mine right as they were announced (to my knowledge) and no word on a shipment date yet.
dbt1949

Post by dbt1949 »

Ditto
Ye Olde Farte
Double Ought Forty
aka dbt1949
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

My free test is due to arrive today. If I can get home for lunch today it might not sit outside too long.
Ralph-Wiggum

Post by Ralph-Wiggum »

The CDC has told pharmacies that immunocompromised people are now eligible for a 2nd booster shot. I haven't scheduled mine yet since I need to find a block of time when I can feel like crap for two days, but will probably get it sometime in the next few weeks.
Black Lives Matter
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

Ralph-Wiggum wrote: Fri Jan 28, 2022 9:37 am The CDC has told pharmacies that immunocompromised people are now eligible for a 2nd booster shot. I haven't scheduled mine yet since I need to find a block of time when I can feel like crap for two days, but will probably get it sometime in the next few weeks.
Thanks. I'll probably wait until I'm no longer working but I'll have to plan that just right because insurance is a whacky thing.
ImLawBoy
Forum Admin

Post by ImLawBoy »

I think I mentioned this in another thread, but the CDC also said that the immunocompromised in the 5-11 age range are eligible for their first booster 28 days after their second dose. That means my oldest was able to get his booster yesterday.
That's my purse! I don't know you!
The Meal

Post by The Meal »

Ralph-Wiggum wrote: Fri Jan 28, 2022 9:37 am The CDC has told pharmacies that immunocompromised people are now eligible for a 2nd booster shot. I haven't scheduled mine yet since I need to find a block of time when I can feel like crap for two days, but will probably get it sometime in the next few weeks.
Assuming no J&J, shot #4 is considered the first "booster" for the immunocompromised, in my understanding. Shot#3 completed the IC's regular dose.
"Better to talk to people than communicate via tweet." — Elontra
MHS

Post by MHS »

The Meal wrote: Fri Jan 28, 2022 10:08 am
Assuming no J&J, shot #4 is considered the first "booster" for the immunocompromised, in my understanding. Shot#3 completed the IC's regular dose.
That's what my nephrology team told me and looking at the dosages seems to bear that out.

I got my 4th shot Tuesday. Told the girl I was disappointed I don't get a free sandwich since I filled out my stamp card. Fell asleep early Tuesday and Wednesday nights and had a sorer arm than with the previous 3, but felt fine otherwise.
Black Lives Matter. No human is illegal. Women's rights are human rights. Love is love. Science is real. Kindness is everything.
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

The Meal wrote: Fri Jan 28, 2022 10:08 am
I had been reading that since October/November as well but the CDC had not recommended shot #4 for people beyond a very limited scope of immunocomromised. My form of immunosuppressed was not in that list before as recently as couple of weeks ago. However, it was in the list the first time RW published his findings. I'm taking it on faith that this means it's time for me to do my diligence to see if infliximab(?) is on the immunosuppressor list as it was for "shot #3", which was then called a booster in Septemberish.
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

Tests revieced. They say store between 36 and 86 but it also says bring to between 36 and 86 before using. Guidance only states: Don't freeze it, don't expose to directly sunlight. Expires 7-5-22
Hrdina

Post by Hrdina »

Smoove_B wrote: Tue Jan 25, 2022 4:21 pm Free masks are starting to show up in random locations around the United States - check with your local pharmacy or public health agency to see if they have them in stock.
I was in a Walgreens tonight (in Essex County NJ) and some guy was giving the poor pharmacy clerk a bunch of grief because they didn't have any free masks available.
Conform or be cast out!
Defiant

Post by Defiant »

N.Y.C. is offering free home delivery of Covid antiviral pills, though supply is limited.
The pills, which require a prescription, are prioritized for those who test positive for the coronavirus and are at higher risk for severe illness.
Mayor Eric Adams announced that oral antiviral pills would be made available for free, same-day at-home delivery starting Sunday for eligible New Yorkers who receive a prescription. According to a statement from the mayor’s office, treatments will be prioritized to New Yorkers who test positive for the coronavirus and are at higher risk for severe illness as supplies are still restricted.
The city will provide Paxlovid, developed by Pfizer, and molnupiravir, developed by Merck. Both drugs will be distributed by Alto Pharmacy, a telehealth prescription medication provider the city has partnered with.
https://www.nytimes.com/2022/01/30/nyre ... ivery.html

Hopefully, more places will do this, as supplies increase.
hitbyambulance

Post by hitbyambulance »

Moderna _finally_ approved in the US

https://www.startribune.com/us-gives-fu ... 600141492/

and Novavax applied for approval today as well
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Yahoo
LONDON (Reuters) - Leading South African scientists are set to investigate COVID-19 and HIV in tandem, amid mounting evidence that the collision of the two pandemics could be generating new coronavirus variants.

The team at the Network for Genomic Surveillance in South Africa (NGS-SA), which first alerted the world to the COVID variant Omicron, said it was time for a "systematic" investigation of what happens when patients with untreated HIV get COVID-19.

A number of studies, including one published by the team last week, have found that people with weakened immune systems – such as patients with untreated HIV – can suffer from persistent coronavirus infections, often for months.

The virus remains in their systems and accumulates mutations, some of which may give it an advantage.

Some researchers believe this could be how Omicron and some of the other COVID variants developed, although other scientists believe it may have arisen in animals before spilling back over into humans.
It's almost as if people are the problem.
FishPants
Server WhOOre

Post by FishPants »

So I paid $80 to a private lab (Dynacare in Canada) that offers an antibody blood test and a nucleocapsid antibody blood test (to detect natural infection exposure that isn't impacted by vaccines).

Anyways two days later I get my results and I have been exposed to Covid at some point since the nucleocapsid antibodies are present (and my antibody response is off the charts, hard to say if thats from the booster in December, or the exposure or both). Kind of a relief that I had Covid and it didn't even register - next up is getting my kids (not boosted) tested as well. It looks like our plans for Mexico in March are going to happen anyways - might as well take advantage of our short term immunity!
No.
Max Peck

Post by Max Peck »

Glass half full: The OG Moderna vaccine is good.
Glass half empty: The Omicron-specific Moderna booster doesn't seem to be better.

Moderna’s omicron booster was only as good as current vaccine in monkey study
In a small group of monkeys, an omicron-specific version of Moderna's COVID-19 vaccine did not protect against the omicron variant better than Moderna's current, highly effective booster. This finding casts doubt on whether a switch to variant-specific doses is necessary.

The study was led by researchers at the National Institutes of Health and posted on a preprint server last Friday. The study has not been peer-reviewed or published in a scientific journal. It also has all the limitations of an animal study and only involved eight monkeys. The study's findings will have to be verified in human trials, which are currently underway.

Still, there's good reason to think the finding will hold up. As the authors of the study note, this isn't Moderna's first variant-specific booster. The company had previously developed a booster against the concerning variant beta. As with the omicron-specific booster, the beta-booster didn't outperform the original vaccine at protecting primates from beta. And that finding later held up in human trials.

"The nonhuman primate (NHP) model has... been largely predictive for what has been observed in humans in terms of protective efficacy," the authors write.

It's not enough to be a good player... you also have to play well. -- Siegbert Tarrasch
FishPants
Server WhOOre

Post by FishPants »

Well if my AZ -> Moderna -> Moderna series is any indication, it works just fine with Omicron. I didn't even know I had it aside from a day or two of sniffles and sneezing (rapid tests were negative, so who knows might have been exposed elsewhere without symptoms).
No.
Max Peck

Post by Max Peck »

I had been hoping that variant-specific vaccines would get us back to extremely high protection against infection as well as severe symptoms, but it seems it's not to be if these preliminary results hold up.

Exodor

Post by Exodor »

We've been lucky but COVID has finally found us. Over the weekend the kid went to a friends birthday party. It was a small gathering of just 5 friends. Monday morning one of those kids was sitting next to my daughter in class when he started coughing. He was sent to the nurse where he tested positive for COVID.

We immediately took our daughter out of class and tested her at home. She tested negative but felt pretty terrible. Yesterday she felt worse but still tested negative as did my wife and I. Today she's feeling much better - and of course tested positive.

My wife and I are going to stay home for the rest of the week. She's starting to feel symptoms but hasn't tested positive yet. We only have one more test in the house with more on the way so we're just assuming she's going to follow the same pattern of testing negative for a few days even though she's experiencing symptoms.
ImLawBoy
Forum Admin

Post by ImLawBoy »

Exodor wrote: Wed Feb 09, 2022 3:38 pm We've been lucky but COVID has finally found us.
Sigh. Same here. Boy twin came home early from school yesterday complaining of a stomache ache, but he seemed otherwise fine. This morning he had a fever and a home test came up positive. I'm taking him for a formal test this afternoon, but that's a formality, I think. Everyone else in the house has tested negative so far, but considering his sister and I spend an hour or so in the car with him to and from school . . . .

For now he's in his room watching Minecraft videos on YouTube and I took the time limit off of his tablet so he can watch stuff there. We kept his sister home today out of an abundance of caution. I don't know how long we'll be able to maintain any real isolation - he's only 7. Our biggest concern at this point is making sure his older brother doesn't get it, since he's been known to be hospitalized for the cold. Fortunately he's been vaccinated and boosted and is on medication that some early studies show seem to grant protection from COVID, so fingers crossed.
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

Good luck to both of you. FWIW somehow no else else in my family got it from my wife, despite us spending a lot of time together leading up to her positive test. So you know, some hope on that.
Black Lives Matter.
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

El Guapo wrote: Fri Feb 11, 2022 11:41 am Good luck to both of you. FWIW somehow no else else in my family got it from my wife, despite us spending a lot of time together leading up to her positive test. So you know, some hope on that.
Same for us. Just one positive after spending days in the same rooms, on the couch together, etc. And that was Omicron.
" Hey OP, listen to my advice alright." -Tha General
"No scientific discovery is named after its original discoverer." -Stigler's Law of Eponymy, discovered by Robert K. Merton

MYT
Max Peck

Post by Max Peck »

Yeah, I know a family with 5 kids where the mom and 3 kids (including a baby) got sick, none very serious, but the other 2 kids and the father never had symptoms and tested negative. Their place is too small to really isolate from each other, so it's definitely possible to luck out on transmission or at least to get undetectably mild infection.

Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Ugh

BREAKING: Pfizer pulls FDA request for Covid vaccine for kids under 5

Right pointing backhand indexThe company believes three doses "may provide a higher level of protection in this age group." Data on the third dose is expected in early April.
Maybe next year, maybe no go
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

Had just seen that and was going to come here to share it once my internal screaming-into-the-void session played out.
gbasden

Post by gbasden »

LawBeefaroni wrote: Fri Feb 11, 2022 11:43 am
El Guapo wrote: Fri Feb 11, 2022 11:41 am Good luck to both of you. FWIW somehow no else else in my family got it from my wife, despite us spending a lot of time together leading up to her positive test. So you know, some hope on that.
Same for us. Just one positive after spending days in the same rooms, on the couch together, etc. And that was Omicron.
Same. I got it, and yet somehow neither my wife nor my son did despite being exposed to the person that gave it to me and being in the same room as I was for multiple days before I tested myself.
ImLawBoy
Forum Admin

Post by ImLawBoy »

ImLawBoy wrote: Fri Feb 11, 2022 11:11 am
Exodor wrote: Wed Feb 09, 2022 3:38 pm We've been lucky but COVID has finally found us.
Sigh. Same here. Boy twin came home early from school yesterday complaining of a stomache ache, but he seemed otherwise fine. This morning he had a fever and a home test came up positive. I'm taking him for a formal test this afternoon, but that's a formality, I think. Everyone else in the house has tested negative so far, but considering his sister and I spend an hour or so in the car with him to and from school . . . .

For now he's in his room watching Minecraft videos on YouTube and I took the time limit off of his tablet so he can watch stuff there. We kept his sister home today out of an abundance of caution. I don't know how long we'll be able to maintain any real isolation - he's only 7. Our biggest concern at this point is making sure his older brother doesn't get it, since he's been known to be hospitalized for the cold. Fortunately he's been vaccinated and boosted and is on medication that some early studies show seem to grant protection from COVID, so fingers crossed.
Boy twin has been such a trooper through all of this. He's felt fine since Saturday, but has stayed in his room (with his Minecraft videos and Marvel movies) with minimal complaints. At meal times we set up Zoom calls so that we're all eating "together". His bonus is that he gets to use the fancy upstairs shower (we normally make him use the main floor shower that his siblings also use), and he seems to think it's great fun even though we don't let him use all the features.

Chicago Public Schools, of course, have been a mess about the whole thing. We reported him as positive through the system on Friday, noting that the onset of symptoms was Thursday 2/8 (when he came home school). We got a response saying that he had to stay home for 5 days from the onset of symptoms and be 24 hours fever-free. He'd be eligible to come back on 2/20 (which is a Sunday, and 2/21 is a holiday, so effectively 2/22). Maybe they changed something in the common core math, but I think that's more than 5 days. We then got another message from them that he'd be eligible for virtual learning no later than 2/15 which would end on 2/15. He could then return to class - on 2/21. It's like someone started updating their guidance from 10 to 5 days but got bored in the middle of it and never finished.

Anyway, we got confirmation that he'll have virtual learning tomorrow and be back in school on Wednesday. It's unclear whether they're flipping his entire class (technically they should be, with a day off today and virtual learning for non-vaccinated kids tomorrow), but his teacher did note that they'll have their Valentine's Day celebration on Wednesday so that everyone could be there.

On the plus side, no one else in our house has any symptoms. We tested girl twin again before sending her to school today and she was good to go. Yay vaccines!