COVID-19 treatment and vaccine update thread

Everything else!

Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

Unagi

Re: COVID-19 treatment and vaccine update thread

Post by Unagi »

Your information made me look for similar data in my area...

thought I would share this :
https://covid.cdc.gov/covid-data-tracke ... rveillance

and frankly, it kinda sucks for information. Or at least I cant suss it out.
stessier

Post by stessier »

Unagi wrote: Wed Mar 30, 2022 1:02 pm Your information made me look for similar data in my area...

thought I would share this :
https://covid.cdc.gov/covid-data-tracke ... rveillance

and frankly, it kinda sucks for information. Or at least I cant suss it out.
My area is listed as "no recent information" - which fits the public policy decisions made in my state but also kinda sucks.
I require a reminder as to why raining arcane destruction is not an appropriate response to all of life's indignities. - Vaarsuvius
Global Steam Wishmaslist Tracking
Running____2014: 1300.55 miles____2015: 2036.13 miles____2016: 1012.75 miles____2017: 1105.82 miles____2018: 1318.91 miles__2019: 2000.00 miles
Max Peck

Post by Max Peck »

Yeah, that looks pretty limited. It seems that all they are showing is the degree of change over a 15-day window, which at least tells you if it is increasing or decreasing, but without some way to see (and interpret) the actual magnitude that doesn't help assess risk.

I suspect that you'd need to tunnel down to local sources to get useful time-domain information. For example, Indiana Borough in PA is publishing a weekly COVID-19 wastewater monitoring trends report, but their data isn't even making it up to the CDC data tracker.

"What? What? What?" -- The 14th Doctor

It's not enough to be a good player... you also have to play well. -- Siegbert Tarrasch
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

If anyone knows where to find wastewater data, I'm all ears. I can't find it.

Today the state DOH crippled the state COVID page. They removed the trends, they removed the hospitalization info, they removed the ICU info, they removed the comparisons. All that's left is straight case counts, and they've switched from daily data to once every few days. They then tell you that if you want to know more you should go to the CDC's community spread page (which tell you zero.)
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

There's only 4 sites reporting in Indiana. Don't feel bad - NJ has one.

We should be embarrassed.
Maybe next year, maybe no go
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

We are definitely embarrassed.
Max Peck

Post by Max Peck »

One day later and our wastewater virus signal has hit the highest level since they began monitoring. Onward and upward!

It's not enough to be a good player... you also have to play well. -- Siegbert Tarrasch
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Thanks, Easter Smoove!

Bok bok!
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

The wife and I are now scheduled for our 2nd booster shots for next Thursday. How sick should I expect us to be? The first booster made us ill for the next day, but not as bad as the 2nd main shot.
My father said that anything is interesting if you bother to read about it - Michael C. Harrold
Unagi

Post by Unagi »

Blackhawk wrote: Thu Mar 31, 2022 10:37 pm Thanks, Easter Smoove!

Bok bok!
Lol. That commercial is recycled around our house from time to time as well.
FishPants
Server WhOOre

Post by FishPants »

So mask mandates have been off since mid March in Ontario and it would appear cases are surging hard again (Weird). My oldest daughter now tested positive on a rapid test, but she's had a booster - so far it's been a sneezy cold for her. That just leaves my wife as the one who hasn't had a confirmed case.
No.
dbt1949

Post by dbt1949 »

I just don't see where booster shot are that effective. I think I'm going to pass on them. Especially now that I'm on my own.
Ye Olde Farte
Double Ought Forty
aka dbt1949
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

dbt1949 wrote: Mon Apr 04, 2022 11:24 am I just don't see where booster shot are that effective. I think I'm going to pass on them. Especially now that I'm on my own.
How effective they are is partially determined after the fact. Look at it from the other angle - what are the downsides?
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Chattanooga

Also I want to get my 2nd booster but not sure when they will allow me. Got my 1st booster (3rd shot) in early Nov.
--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"
dbt1949

Post by dbt1949 »

I have agoraphobia and don't like getting out of the house except for really important things.
Plus my truck gets ten miles to the gallon.
Ye Olde Farte
Double Ought Forty
aka dbt1949
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

dbt1949 wrote: Mon Apr 04, 2022 12:22 pm I have agoraphobia and don't like getting out of the house except for really important things.
Plus my truck gets ten miles to the gallon.
Get one next time you go to the doctor or pharmacy.
" Hey OP, listen to my advice alright." -Tha General
"No scientific discovery is named after its original discoverer." -Stigler's Law of Eponymy, discovered by Robert K. Merton

MYT
Max Peck

Post by Max Peck »

As the wastewater signals climb to a record levels province-wide (we've been setting a new record every day for the last week here in Ottawa), Ontario is making a second booster/fourth shot available to everyone 60+ tomorrow. Given how limited PCR testing is, I expect that our official infection numbers are probably an order of magnitude below the actual level (similar to Quebec). Hospitalization numbers are up about 40% week-on-week, so the increased eligibility will offer some additional protection to individuals but it won't blunt the oncoming wave. The provincial government is not going to reimpose any form of NPI measures, so I expect them to fully commit to vaccinating their way out of this and open up second booster eligibility for everyone well in advance of the June election.

Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

And all of the Indiana wastewater sites haven't updated in so long that their indicators are now gray - as in, 'no data.'
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

jztemple2 wrote: Sat Apr 02, 2022 5:32 pm The wife and I are now scheduled for our 2nd booster shots for next Thursday. How sick should I expect us to be? The first booster made us ill for the next day, but not as bad as the 2nd main shot.
We got our second boosters yesterday. No aftereffects other than slightly sore arms.
My father said that anything is interesting if you bother to read about it - Michael C. Harrold
Max Peck

Post by Max Peck »

Canada's vaccine advisory body strongly recommends boosters for all adults as virus resurges
Canada's National Advisory Committee on Immunization (NACI) is now strongly recommending that all adults and immunocompromised children aged 12 to 17 get a first COVID-19 booster shot as Canada experiences a resurgence of the virus.

NACI previously said that boosters for those two groups should be considered discretionary. Chief Public Health Officer of Canada Dr. Theresa Tam said Tuesday that booster shots will offer stronger protection as caseloads increase.

"It doesn't matter where you are in Canada right now. I would advise getting that booster shot," Tam told a press conference.
Note that this is for a first booster. I hadn't realized that they weren't "strongly recommending" first boosters until now. That seemed like a no-brainer back during the first Omicron wave, but I guess not.

naednek

Post by naednek »

welp, 2 years in we finally got it. It was a matter of time. Erin took a rapid test today, the line was feint. Had her try again, same result. She tried a different brand, a little darker. I tried and had the same. Took a PCR today to confirm.

Easter is cancelled. I was sick all week last week.
hepcat - "I agree with Naednek"
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

Bummer. I hope you'll be fine. Wife got her second booster yesterday and I get mine on Tuesday.

Mass. just had three counties promoted from low to medium risk. Mine isn't among them but the trend line is clear. CDC guidelines say low risk means "LOL wut?" and medium means "maybe old sick people should be sort of careful."
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

I forgot to go by and see about my 2nd booster. Ill have to do that next go.
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

Just got my second booster. The pharmacist said they've had a steady stream of customers, and in fact there were two other people in line tonight. Also, our town government held a vaccine clinic at town hall today and had to shut it down two hours early because they ran out of shots.

Nice to know that a lot of old people are still being cautious.
naednek

Post by naednek »

so for those who had covid. Did you have headaches? And if so, how long did they last?

I woke up this morning @3am with one and it's still going strong. It's not very painful, but it's dull and pulsating. Took an 800mg motrin and no help.
hepcat - "I agree with Naednek"
FishPants
Server WhOOre

Post by FishPants »

naednek wrote: Tue Apr 19, 2022 7:41 pm so for those who had covid. Did you have headaches? And if so, how long did they last?

I woke up this morning @3am with one and it's still going strong. It's not very painful, but it's dull and pulsating. Took an 800mg motrin and no help.
It really depends, I had covid but didn't have any symptoms - my kids had head cold symptoms, one had a cough - both had headaches. They were very strong headaches and seemed to last for 2 days, advil helped but didn't stop them entirely.

My wife who hasn't had it to our knowledge yet, is currently sitting at the kitchen table doing a rapid test - Covid is freaking everywhere here now; I've had a lot of fatigue this past week (like crazy tired, more than I've probably ever been) with a few headaches. I test negative (but I've had it, and I've been boosted) - I'm guessing this is just how it is now with such high levels out there (and mask mandates gone).
No.
Max Peck

Post by Max Peck »

naednek wrote: Tue Apr 19, 2022 7:41 pm so for those who had covid. Did you have headaches? And if so, how long did they last?
An aquaintance recently said that they had a really bad COVID headache that lasted a couple of days. I know a couple of other people who have have really bad headaches over the last few days, but insist it can't be COVID. Not because they've been careful in any way, just that they've been vaccinated and already had COVID back in January, so they can't be sick with it again. :roll:

Kasey Chang

Post by Kasey Chang »

This one is interesting as it can vastly reduce the need for ventilators if it works as well as it shows in the phase 3 trials, giving that much more "breathing room" (pun unintended) to the ICUs around the world.

AND it also has effects on breast cancer!
My game FAQs | Playing: She Will Punish Them, Sunrider: Mask of Arcadius, The Outer Worlds
Kasey Chang

Post by Kasey Chang »

Turns out SF Bay Area has its own COVID wastewater tracker, and it shows an interesting result: for San Francisco, with 3 sampling sites, 1 of which was out since April. But it seems the peak viral load was in Mid Jan, and bottomed out at beginning of March, but is slowly rising again, but past few weeks the trend is falling again. Good news, I guess?
My game FAQs | Playing: She Will Punish Them, Sunrider: Mask of Arcadius, The Outer Worlds
Max Peck

Post by Max Peck »

I've seen reporting to the effect that the wastewater monitoring indicates that the viral signal has plateaued hereabouts, but that's not necessarily how I'd interpret this graph:
Enlarge Image

Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Got my 2nd booster , 4th shot, today. Not sure I would have if Id spoken to my sister first. He daughter, my nice, is friends with a guy who 1 day after getting a booster was paralyzed. He was a fit dude too. Im not sure what brand of shot he got. I told it sounded suss and how would you be paralyzed by a shot. I was thinking maybe a blood clot. But I looked it up online and theres a big reporting of paralyzations. kinda scary. I dont think I super needed the 2nd booster but wanted to be the safest I could be. Im now not sure ill get another.

Ive had zero side effects from my previous shots so think Im good.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

It's almost as if people are the problem.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

The last time I read up on it, that was only with the Johnson & Johnson 1-shot vaccine, and it was like 100 cases out of 12 million people.

In other words, the chances that it will happen to you are effectively zero. It's like not going to the hospital for a heart attack because there is a chance that the ambulance will fall into a sinkhole.

Get your shots.
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

I became extremely fatigued five hours after getting my shot so I went to bed early. Slept for about three hours, then tossed and turned the rest of the night. By morning the side effects had passed and I felt normal today, if a little tired from insufficient sleep.

In the past it took 12+ hours for side effects to appear, so this one caught me a little off guard. No big deal, though. I had the Pfizer, FWIW.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

As per the others my arm is a little sore. I remowed the yard after I got home. Oh and ya all four of my shots have been Pfizer.
YellowKing

Post by YellowKing »

The only side effect I've ever had from the Pfizer was fatigue. After every shot I've had to take a long nap.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

I noticed again how small the shot really is. Its in a tiny 1cc syringe and only takes up about 1/8 to 1/4 of that even.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Ugh, this is just...so terrible.

NEWS @CNN: Dr. Fauci confirms on the record that regulators are looking at waiting until this summer (likely June) to approve vaccines for children under 5 in order to avoid public confusion.

This comes even as the Moderna shot could be proven safe and effective as early as May
I don't know how parents of children under 5 are able to handle any of this.
Maybe next year, maybe no go
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

That might be the most absurd thing I've seen all pandemic.