COVID-19 treatment and vaccine update thread

Everything else!

Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

Smoove_B

Re: COVID-19 treatment and vaccine update thread

Post by Smoove_B »

Mid September? That's a huge disappointment for me.
I'm kinda expecting them closer to mid to late October, but I guess we'll see.
Maybe next year, maybe no go
Roman

Post by Roman »

Getting my 4th dose today @3pm.

While I know that they are working a new vaccine to better combat the variants and hope to have it ready for the Fall I simply don't want the stress of trying to get one scheduled - like I did with the 1st and 2nd doses........

So my thoughts are the following:
1. Get the 4th now
2. Wait until late Fall or early Winter to get the 5th and more targeted dose
3. just in time for my planned trip in April to the Dom Rep for a wedding.
While feeding all the beasties out back I let a nice big fart. The smell followed all the way back to the house. It's like it was my baby and felt abandoned.
wonderpug

Post by wonderpug »

Do we know yet if they'll let us get the updated booster later this fall if we get a 4th shot now?
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

We don't. I'd' posted on the other side of the fence as it was political in nature (my post), but the article that inspired it (covering the current situation with boosting the under 50 crowd) is here.

I'll keep watching - and not just because I'm in the under 50 crowd. :wink:

Roman wrote: Tue Jul 26, 2022 2:33 pm Getting my 4th dose today @3pm.

While I know that they are working a new vaccine to better combat the variants and hope to have it ready for the Fall I simply don't want the stress of trying to get one scheduled - like I did with the 1st and 2nd doses........

So my thoughts are the following:
1. Get the 4th now
2. Wait until late Fall or early Winter to get the 5th and more targeted dose
3. just in time for my planned trip in April to the Dom Rep for a wedding.
If I was eligible, I'd be getting one now, yes. I suspect (but don't know) they're going to put a 4-6 month spacing on what would be shot #5 (after shot #4), if they give it approval. I honestly don't know what to expect anymore.
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

I'm not eligible but I can probably find a dose in the trash. But if the CDC says I'll be OK...

What amazes me is how the virus can tell how old someone is to be day. Nature is remarkable.
" Hey OP, listen to my advice alright." -Tha General
"No scientific discovery is named after its original discoverer." -Stigler's Law of Eponymy, discovered by Robert K. Merton

MYT
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

Count me in the camp who would have loved to have gotten booster #2 6 mo after #1 (so May), then the Omi-killer super shot in the fall. But we can't have nice things, so I guess I'll keep on keepin' on with my worn-off third shot and too-late-to-proactively protect 4th shot.
Max Peck

Post by Max Peck »

wonderpug wrote: Tue Jul 26, 2022 3:02 pm Do we know yet if they'll let us get the updated booster later this fall if we get a 4th shot now?
I don't know what the plan is in the US, but here in Ontario the provincial government has said that if someone who is not in a high-risk category gets a second booster now, they'll have to wait at least 5 months before they can get another booster once the updated boosters become available in the fall. They seem to be actively discouraging people from getting a second booster if they're eligible but not at "high risk."
"What? What? What?" -- The 14th Doctor

It's not enough to be a good player... you also have to play well. -- Siegbert Tarrasch
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Max Peck wrote: Tue Jul 26, 2022 4:19 pm I don't know what the plan is in the US
Please allow me to summarize

Enlarge Image
Max Peck

Post by Max Peck »

The weird thing here is that apparently the rationale for discouraging non-high risk people from getting a second booster is... myocarditis? Despite the fact that there is no appreciable risk of vaccine-induced myocarditis outside the young male adult demographic, and even there the risk from vaccination is still much lower than the risk from COVID-19 infection, the last I heard about it.

It's not enough to be a good player... you also have to play well. -- Siegbert Tarrasch
stessier

Post by stessier »

As of this morning, everyone I know who has gotten on a plane since early June has ended up testing positive. Got the 8th person confirmed today. It's unclear if it's the planes or the activities on the other end, but man I wouldn't be flying right now without some serious protection.
I require a reminder as to why raining arcane destruction is not an appropriate response to all of life's indignities. - Vaarsuvius
Global Steam Wishmaslist Tracking
Running____2014: 1300.55 miles____2015: 2036.13 miles____2016: 1012.75 miles____2017: 1105.82 miles____2018: 1318.91 miles__2019: 2000.00 miles
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

stessier wrote: Wed Jul 27, 2022 8:43 am As of this morning, everyone I know who has gotten on a plane since early June has ended up testing positive. Got the 8th person confirmed today. It's unclear if it's the planes or the activities on the other end, but man I wouldn't be flying right now without some serious protection.
One of our docs survived running the COVID clinic since the start. They recently took a well-deserved break. Flew to the Mediterranean for several weeks. Tested positive a few days after arriving and spent most of the vacation on quarantine. (Which from what I understand wasn't so bad with a private beach and concierge, but still, nearly 3 years with of precautions only to get it on a plane (or airport or something)...)
"No scientific discovery is named after its original discoverer." -Stigler's Law of Eponymy, discovered by Robert K. Merton

MYT
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

stessier wrote: Wed Jul 27, 2022 8:43 am As of this morning, everyone I know who has gotten on a plane since early June has ended up testing positive. Got the 8th person confirmed today. It's unclear if it's the planes or the activities on the other end, but man I wouldn't be flying right now without some serious protection.
Anecdotally when I hear that people tested positive after air travel it's been related to taking "mask breaks" - going to the bathroom, eating, drinking, etc... You could also just have really bad luck and be sitting next to someone coughing and shedding the entire time and if you're only in a surgical mask or an n95 that doesn't fit well, you're potentially in trouble.

But generally speaking that's been a theme. Even the great Dr. Bob Wachter is on social media again now saying he and his wife were exposed after going to a school reunion in MA. They spent most of their time outside socializing except for a "few times" when they were hanging out indoors unmasked. The people they were with have already started testing positive and his own wife is starting to have symptoms - still recovering from a Covid-19 infection she had months ago, still dealing with Long Covid.

But hey, let's go indoors without masks. What could happen - it's only for a few drinks.
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

Smoove_B wrote: Wed Jul 27, 2022 10:24 am
But hey, let's go indoors without masks. What could happen - it's only for a few drinks.
I hear as long as it's at least 80 proof you'll be fine.

MYT
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

LawBeefaroni wrote: Wed Jul 27, 2022 10:56 am
Smoove_B wrote: Wed Jul 27, 2022 10:24 am
I hear as long as it's at least 80 proof you'll be fine.
Enlarge Image
It's almost as if people are the problem.
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

At least. 40% alcohol is all you need to kill COVID bacteria parasites. If you want cask strength, have at it, but it's not strictly necessary.

MYT
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

It's almost as if people are the problem.
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

I think people doing risk assessment that traveling by plane is in their wheelhouse are generally going to be people who are less socially sanitary in their risk assessments, if you're traveling then you are eating out. And then you're more likely doing leisure and you're staying in a room where you don't know what's up with the last occupant or the person who cleaned the room and washed your sheets the risk factors just keep going up.

I rather doubt plane travel is what is breaking the dam but I don't doubt it's adding pressure where someone is already setting up for a lot of force.
Smoove_B wrote: Wed Jul 27, 2022 10:24 am it's only for a few drinks.
Drinking indoors in a group of unknowns is exactly where I want to be and exactly the last place I'm going to go. :cry: Loud, close talking, lingering, increased spittle producing strangers remains the single most verboten activity to be around.

At least I'm fairly tall when I'm standing. I still have hopes that this helps for the times I need to head outside my small circle. However, that circle is getting less and less hygienic as well. I'm becoming more tolerant only because my mom is also slowly becoming less hygienic. I have pulled on the brakes is bit while I wait for the next round of vaccine to be developed in implemented though. This summer has been comparatively bad when looking at the two previous summers. Autumn will be hospital busting around here, I am sure.
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

That's for surface use. When you consume alcohol your body's natural synergy helps it fight COVID.

MYT
Max Peck

Post by Max Peck »

Smoove_B wrote: Wed Jul 27, 2022 10:24 am the great Dr. Bob Wachter
Enlarge Image

Pyperkub

Post by Pyperkub »

This is pretty interesting, fitness trackers may soon be able to track covid... Pre symptoms

https://newatlas.com/health-wellbeing/w ... -symptoms/
Black Lives definitely Matter Lorini!

Also: There are three ways to not tell the truth: lies, damned lies, and statistics.
Max Peck

Post by Max Peck »

I wonder if that is actually detecting COVID specifically, or just that the subject has become ill in general.

Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

I knew they were doing studies but I didn't realize they had results. Interesting.

For those (like me) under the age of 50 and that are otherwise ineligible for second booster here in the United States (I don't think he knows about second booster, Pip), one of my professional organizations boosted this link today; figured I'd share

Test to Treat

Basically, you plug in your zip code and it'll kick out participating one-stop-shop locations where you can get testing and treatment (if you're positive). Hopefully no one needs it in the next 3+ months, but I guess better to have it...

To be clear, you don't need to be under 50 to use the information, but it might be a faster/easier path than trying to deal with your PCP. Now that pharmacists can dispense Paxlovid, this does make more sense, imho.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Max Peck wrote: Wed Jul 27, 2022 12:48 pm
Smoove_B wrote: Wed Jul 27, 2022 10:24 am the great Dr. Bob Wachter
Enlarge Image

I love this dude. He keeps exposing himself to me, then writing long threads on why exposing himself to me is a reasonable thing to do. Thanks for supporting my pandemic @Bob_Wachter! I appreciate you. ❤️
Max Peck

Post by Max Peck »

From the Great Doctor's tweet, I gather that he'd rather isolate himself from his wife than from his old college chums.

Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Well New York has its first case of Polio. I guess if everything else cant kill us Polio will come back and give it another go.
--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

Tl:Dr - No 2nd boosters coming for the under-50 crowd. All eggs being placed on updated formulations, starting 9/15ish. I'm sure this will proceed well.

Biden Administration Plans to Offer Updated Booster Shots in September https://nyti.ms/3cRF4uk
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

By the time they got their ducks in a row it would be most of the way to 9/15 anyway.
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

Zaxxon wrote: Thu Jul 28, 2022 11:15 pm Tl:Dr - No 2nd boosters coming for the under-50 crowd. All eggs being placed on updated formulations, starting 9/15ish. I'm sure this will proceed well.

Biden Administration Plans to Offer Updated Booster Shots in September https://nyti.ms/3cRF4uk

:( I was really hoping for the updated formula to be out and available to the immunosuppupressed and over 50 crowd by mid August. So I got about a month before doubling down on isolation at least until October. I'm not sure how much more of life I can give up on in an effort to keep on not being a victim or a spreader. I am already seemingly the last guy not to go anywhere or do anything, ever. Me and Smoove, I guess. Though I do eat at an in and out quick meal at a restaurant once a month or so nowadays with my parents.
Max Peck

Post by Max Peck »

LordMortis wrote: Fri Jul 29, 2022 6:12 am I am already seemingly the last guy not to go anywhere or do anything, ever. Me and Smoove, I guess.
Enlarge Image

Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Huh. I thought this was settled on Tuesday, but I guess waaaay back then it was still speculation and not official.

I think when I read yesterday that millions of doses of vaccines were expiring and going to be dumpstered, it just flipped a circuit breaker in my brain. One of the few that are left.
stessier

Post by stessier »

Mid September isn't great, but it's better than the 4th quarter estimates I was hearing. Just have to survive 4 weeks of kids in school.
I require a reminder as to why raining arcane destruction is not an appropriate response to all of life's indignities. - Vaarsuvius
Global Steam Wishmaslist Tracking
Running____2014: 1300.55 miles____2015: 2036.13 miles____2016: 1012.75 miles____2017: 1105.82 miles____2018: 1318.91 miles__2019: 2000.00 miles
The Meal

Post by The Meal »

I’m sad to have to keep rolling dice for a few more months. Hopefully the September date holds for the omicron-targeted new formulation (that’s much sooner than was originally propagated).

We are fairly hunkered down, though we recently passed our saving throws for a road trip in the firs half of July (and I have an in-office job, but for a company that takes masking seriously and in a role where I can go days without working alongside someone else). Fingers firmly crossed.
"Better to talk to people than communicate via tweet." — Elontra
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

Max Peck wrote: Fri Jul 29, 2022 7:23 am
LordMortis wrote: Fri Jul 29, 2022 6:12 am I am already seemingly the last guy not to go anywhere or do anything, ever. Me and Smoove, I guess.
Enlarge Image
I *want* to be on the team, but I have a wife and kids and don't get to decide. I don't have Smoove's credentials to reinforce my wish to stay home... and of course my wife knows it is really just my wish to stay home and nothing to do with the various pandemics we are flirting with.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
Max Peck

Post by Max Peck »

I'm pretty sure we're far past the point of flirting.

coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

Max Peck wrote: Fri Jul 29, 2022 10:55 am I'm pretty sure we're far past the point of flirting.
Yeah, we are certainly in a lasting relationship with COVID and are strongly courting monkeypox, we'll see what catches our attention next, maybe (hopefully) passing on polio.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

coopasonic wrote: Fri Jul 29, 2022 12:30 pm Yeah, we are certainly in a lasting relationship with COVID and are strongly courting monkeypox, we'll see what catches our attention next, maybe (hopefully) passing on polio.
Where you live? I'd bet money on Dengue.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Im 2 shotted and 2 boosted. I gave up masks a couple months ago. I go to more trips to town than in the last few years. Sometimes twice a week now.
--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

Smoove_B wrote: Fri Jul 29, 2022 12:42 pm
coopasonic wrote: Fri Jul 29, 2022 12:30 pm Yeah, we are certainly in a lasting relationship with COVID and are strongly courting monkeypox, we'll see what catches our attention next, maybe (hopefully) passing on polio.
Where you live? I'd bet money on Dengue.
I was thinking a strain of Malaria comes back with a vengeance.
Max Peck

Post by Max Peck »

If there was every a time for ebola to make a splash on the global stage, this would be it.

gilraen

Post by gilraen »

Max Peck wrote: Fri Jul 29, 2022 12:56 pm If there was every a time for ebola to make a splash on the global stage, this would be it.
Well...there's a Marburg virus outbreak in Ghana right now.