hitbyambulance

Re: COVID-19 treatment and vaccine update thread

Post by hitbyambulance »

[smallpox] awiiise fwom youw gwaaave
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

gilraen wrote: Fri Jul 29, 2022 1:34 pm
Max Peck wrote: Fri Jul 29, 2022 12:56 pm If there was every a time for ebola to make a splash on the global stage, this would be it.
Well...there's a Marburg virus outbreak in Ghana right now.
I took a lady to the airport today who is going to Ghana...
Black Lives Matter
gbasden

Post by gbasden »

Daehawk wrote: Fri Jul 29, 2022 12:44 pm Im 2 shotted and 2 boosted. I gave up masks a couple months ago. I go to more trips to town than in the last few years. Sometimes twice a week now.
Why? I'm also 2 shot and 2 boosted but now isn't a wise time to trust the masses in the slightest.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Smoove_B wrote: Fri Jul 29, 2022 12:42 pm
coopasonic wrote: Fri Jul 29, 2022 12:30 pm Yeah, we are certainly in a lasting relationship with COVID and are strongly courting monkeypox, we'll see what catches our attention next, maybe (hopefully) passing on polio.
Where you live? I'd bet money on Dengue.
He's in my neck of the woods in North Texas, West Nile country.
It's almost as if people are the problem.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

I cut my teeth on WNV when it first came to America - collecting birds and trying to help figure out wtf was going on and defending our reputation against the spurious claims of NY. Feels like a lifetime ago.
Maybe next year, maybe no go
Sudy

Post by Sudy »

I love how I'm required to wear a mask to my booster appointment, but the pharmacist has hers down on her chin.

I saw a commercial on late night TV. It said, "Forget everything you know about slipcovers." So I did. And it was a load off my mind. Then the commercial tried to sell me slipcovers, and I didn't know what the hell they were. -- Mitch Hedberg
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Yes, I saw the same here. They gave pharmacists the ability to vaccinate yet all the pharmacies I've been inside of since last May have all staff unmasked. A specific place where you know people that are sick will be coming (testing, treatment, etc...) and no one in the facility is masked.

Human beings are the worst.
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

Sudy wrote: Sun Jul 31, 2022 12:52 pm I love how I'm required to wear a mask to my booster appointment, but the pharmacist has hers down on her chin.
:doh:

On my shopping trips I see almost nobody with masks any more. What's even stranger to me is the very few I see masks are often wearing them as chin diapers. Is that so you can pull them up if you talk to someone close? I mean why bother? If masks are merely strongly recommended and we're literally approaching 95+% of people ignoring the recommendation, what is the point of wearing a chin diaper?
Sudy

Post by Sudy »

The diner was also packed... there were like twelve twenty-year-old kids at one table. I get that you can't mask while you're eating, but how is this not begging for disaster?

I saw a commercial on late night TV. It said, "Forget everything you know about slipcovers." So I did. And it was a load off my mind. Then the commercial tried to sell me slipcovers, and I didn't know what the hell they were. -- Mitch Hedberg
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

That's the way it's been here since May of 2021 when we declared freedom. And that's why what happens next is going to suck. Well, maybe not for a lot of people, but marginalized folks are going to continue to get squeezed. We've collectively decided they don't matter as long as we get to continue to do stuff, so hooray us.
msduncan

Post by msduncan »

My wife and I are vaxed, but we've had this thing 3 times. I think the last one was Omicron maybe? She keeps bringing it home from the hospital. She works with children and even though they wear masks the kids are crying, coughing, and sputtering (normal getting blood drawn behavior) during visits. So I'm just collecting up Covid variants. If you guys need any, just come to see me - I'm trying to catch them all.
It's 109 first team All-Americans.
It's a college football record 61 bowl appearances.
It's 34 bowl victories.
It's 24 Southeastern Conference Championships.
It's 15 National Championships.

At some places they play football. At Alabama we live it.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

I am sorry to hear your wife's employer isn't helping to minimize risk of spread to her and then to you. Getting it multiple times is...less than ideal.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Uh oh. Did you see my post in the other area of the forum? (Scroll to bottom)

https://octopusoverlords.com/forum/view ... tart=14160
--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"
gbasden

Post by gbasden »

Smoove_B wrote: Sun Jul 31, 2022 1:43 pm Yes, I saw the same here. They gave pharmacists the ability to vaccinate yet all the pharmacies I've been inside of since last May have all staff unmasked. A specific place where you know people that are sick will be coming (testing, treatment, etc...) and no one in the facility is masked.

Human beings are the worst.
At least getting my latest booster from the hospital, not only was everyone masked but also using face shields and they made sure everyone coming through the door was masked. It felt good!
ImLawBoy
Forum Admin

Post by ImLawBoy »

We recently changed pharmacies due to moving, and imagine my (pleasant) surprise every time I walk in and everyone behind the pharmacy counter is wearing a mask. I suspect the head pharmacist has made it a rule there, but it's nice to see.
That's my purse! I don't know you!
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

My pharmacy (CVS) has a drivethru. I have not been inside but once since 2020. They're still wearing masks inside though. I can see that through the window. When I got my last shot (April?) the different CVS I went to were all wearing masks.

Life is changing though. As I've mentioned several times, all these places have signs that "strongly encourage" masking and I'm about the only freak left wearing one in most circumstances. Medical areas I've visited are the only exception around here. I admit on the rare occasion I go to a restaurant with my parents (once a month?), I don't perform the theater of mask wearing from entrance to order and then again from completion to exit any more. I still don't linger, though and we don't go to places we can't get in to and out of in a reasonable timeframe. We order, eat, and leave. We can chat in a car or at the house or in the yard.
msduncan

Post by msduncan »

Smoove_B wrote: Sun Jul 31, 2022 2:21 pm I am sorry to hear your wife's employer isn't helping to minimize risk of spread to her and then to you. Getting it multiple times is...less than ideal.
Oh they have all sorts of protocols but it doesn't matter. She wears medical grade masks and scrubs down, the kids and their parents are provided and wear medical grade masks. But when you are working directly with kids that are crying and coughing (mostly because of the crying) there's really not a lot they can do.
It's 34 bowl victories.

LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

Our peds practices and the pediatric vaccine clinic aren't seeing any higher rates than the rest of the practices. I'd be taking long look at any practice that takes the "what're ya gonna do?"approach. Airflow or practice layout maybe?
" Hey OP, listen to my advice alright." -Tha General
"No scientific discovery is named after its original discoverer." -Stigler's Law of Eponymy, discovered by Robert K. Merton

MYT
msduncan

Post by msduncan »

LawBeefaroni wrote: Mon Aug 01, 2022 11:20 am Our peds practices and the pediatric vaccine clinic aren't seeing any higher rates than the rest of the practices. I'd be taking long look at any practice that takes the "what're ya gonna do?"approach. Airflow or practice layout maybe?
This is a children's hospital, so they have all that in place. She's probably has multiple patients that are positive come in daily.... but over a course of two years you are bound slip through and get exposed a few times. Also, they aren't supposed to see covid positive patients in the part of the hospital that she works in.... but these are cases that are coming in that are undiagnosed and thus not sent elsewhere. Children are especially tricky because their Covid symptoms are very similar to colds and often mild.... so they have a much higher frequency of coming in without a test.
It's 34 bowl victories.

msduncan

Post by msduncan »

I also should note that she works in the lab, so they are doing the testing and blood draws. So they really don't know they have covid UNTIL they get to them unless previously diagnosed.
It's 34 bowl victories.

Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Oh they have all sorts of protocols but it doesn't matter. She wears medical grade masks and scrubs down, the kids and their parents are provided and wear medical grade masks. But when you are working directly with kids that are crying and coughing (mostly because of the crying) there's really not a lot they can do.
"Medical grade masks" can mean different things to different people. If I was a front line medical worker I'd personally be wearing a fit-tested N100 elastomeric mask + face shield (or full eye coverings) - something like this. Though if I found a disposable 3M N100 with head straps that was comfortable, I'd consider that too. There also wouldn't be maskless break times in the workplace (eating, bathroom, etc...) for me either, which seems to be how so many people are getting exposed (anecdotally).

Nothing is perfect but I'm aware of plenty of hospitals and doctors offices locally that just require surgical ("medical") masks on-site; it's not enough. N95 at a minimum now for everyone - especially if employers haven't done anything to upgrade/modify HVAC systems - imho but I'm a lunatic.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Today I need to take my MIL to an appointment at the hospital. It is likely that it will be a couple of hours. That means that I get to choose between sitting in a mask-free hospital waiting room for two hours, or sitting in the car on a fairly hot day with 88% humidity for two hours (a car with no air conditioning and only one window that can be opened.)

*Sigh*. Looks like a sweaty afternoon.
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

There's always the chapel.
It's almost as if people are the problem.
MHS

Post by MHS »

Smoove_B wrote: Mon Aug 01, 2022 11:37 am N95 at a minimum now for everyone - especially if employers haven't done anything to upgrade/modify HVAC systems - imho but I'm a lunatic.
Do you have a recommendation for what an immunocompromised person should be wearing in airports/airplanes? I'll buy whatever you tell me to buy. I've only done KN-95s on the few flights I've done since January 2020, but that was when masks were mandated for everyone. I'd like to up my protection level now that most people won't be masked.
Black Lives Matter. No human is illegal. Women's rights are human rights. Love is love. Science is real. Kindness is everything.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Planes are getting weird with elastometric masks - if they think or suspect they have an exhalation valve I keep reading accounts where they are actively prohibiting people from wearing them. Makes no sense (since masking isn't required on planes) but I guess they can just arbitrarily decide things.

Assuming you don't mind putting your hair up (which for some - like RM9 - can be an annoyance), I think the 3M disposable N95s are great. They have a padded nose piece so even though it's cranked down on your face, it's still relatively comfortable to be in. Might be a little more difficult to rush through an airport (if you're running late or need a connecting flight), but after personally wearing an N95 during a heart stress test on a treadmill, I think I could survive anything. :D

The thing with any of the n95 or n100 masks is they try to make them fit all face styles, but in practice depending on your nose, chin, cheeks, etc... they all might fit a little differently. That's also where it can get weird. If you have a KN94 mask that fits your face, that (in theory) would be better than an N95 that is "leaky" around your nose or cheeks.

The 3M 9205+ Aura is extremely comfortable (to me). Fits great. Wouldn't take it on and off but if you slap it on and can wear it for the duration of your travel I think it's a great choice. You should be able to find these locally (usually hardware stores have them), but you can also source them on Amazon. If you want one to try, send me a PM and I'd be happy to mail one out.

Slightly different style but also quite comfortable is the Gerson N95. Not sure if you can get these anywhere else other than Project n95, but if you want to try one, I'm also happy to mail one out. :) It feels much lighter than the Aura, but tests by professionals have verified it's the real deal and it works as advertised.

The cup-style N95s don't work for my face shape, so I can't offer help there. Again, another type you can likely source locally - they shouldn't be difficult to get, 3M 8210.

Above and beyond that, eye protection. I know some people wear goggles, but I'm not sure I would. Something like these that provide a barrier would be how I'd roll. To be clear, there's no study that has provided a direct benefit to wearing these types of glasses but there have been studies demonstrating lower rates of infection for people that wear eye protection, namely face shields). Assuming they fit, there are all kinds of these - it will come down to preference. If you can't find a pair that fits tight, you might need to consider the varieties that have a head strap (but aren't technically goggles).

Plane travel is tough - I think so much can come down to the person you're seated next to. Assuming you get through check in, boarding, etc... without problems if you're seated next to someone with COVID that is just hacking the entire time you're flying, I'm not sure anything short of an NBC suit is going to keep you safe. It's so frustrating.
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

Smoove_B wrote: Mon Aug 01, 2022 1:01 pm The cup-style N95s don't work for my face shape, so I can't offer help there. Again, another type you can likely source locally - they shouldn't be difficult to get, 3M 8210.

I get the 20 pack from the local Home Depot. They aren't free, but I only wear them for the extended indoor visits around unknowns. I get them because they are freely available, not because I actually know anything about their quality. :oops:
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

LordMortis wrote: Mon Aug 01, 2022 1:21 pm I get the 20 pack from the local Home Depot. They aren't free, but I only wear them for the extended indoor visits around unknowns. I get them because they are freely available, not because I actually know anything about their quality. :oops:
If you're only wearing them for a few hours at a clip, they'll likely last forever. I'd say the elastics are going to wear out long before the filter media is technically compromised.
hitbyambulance

Post by hitbyambulance »

Plane travel is tough - I think so much can come down to the person you're seated next to. Assuming you get through check in, boarding, etc... without problems if you're seated next to someone with COVID that is just hacking the entire time you're flying, I'm not sure anything short of an NBC suit is going to keep you safe. It's so frustrating.
do not be afraid to ask one of the flight attendants if you can be moved/swapped with someone else in such a situation.
MHS

Post by MHS »

hitbyambulance wrote: Mon Aug 01, 2022 1:37 pm
do not be afraid to ask one of the flight attendants if you can be moved/swapped with someone else in such a situation.
I wouldn't be.

Thank you, Smoove. Very appreciated, purchases made for the goggles and the trifold N95s. I've opted to drive for my last couple of work trips, but obviously not feasible for all, or even most, of them.
Black Lives Matter. No human is illegal. Women's rights are human rights. Love is love. Science is real. Kindness is everything.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

No problem - and don't hesitate to send me a PM with anything else. I'm happy to help if I can.

Incidentally, have you been counseled about Evusheld?
MHS

Post by MHS »

Smoove_B wrote: Mon Aug 01, 2022 1:48 pm No problem - and don't hesitate to send me a PM with anything else. I'm happy to help if I can.

Incidentally, have you been counseled about Evusheld?
I had my first set of Evusheld injections in March. :)
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Oh, ok - good. I'm sorry I forgot! :wink:

But seriously, I thought it was going to be popular but the data that came out last week (week before?) is suggesting it's hardly being offered to the people that are eligible, mainly because PCP aren't aware it's available and/or recommended.
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

Smoove_B wrote: Mon Aug 01, 2022 1:28 pm
LordMortis wrote: Mon Aug 01, 2022 1:21 pm I get the 20 pack from the local Home Depot. They aren't free, but I only wear them for the extended indoor visits around unknowns. I get them because they are freely available, not because I actually know anything about their quality. :oops:
If you're only wearing them for a few hours at a clip, they'll likely last forever. I'd say the elastics are going to wear out long before the filter media is technically compromised.

I do air them out and reuse them and yeah, I don't spend any time anywhere indoor around strangers for more than a few hours at a clip and its done kicking and screaming every time. It's almost always for medical purposes, which means I'm much more inclined to grab those masks even if it's not for a few hours.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Blackhawk wrote: Mon Aug 01, 2022 12:26 pm Today I need to take my MIL to an appointment at the hospital. It is likely that it will be a couple of hours. That means that I get to choose between sitting in a mask-free hospital waiting room for two hours, or sitting in the car on a fairly hot day with 88% humidity for two hours (a car with no air conditioning and only one window that can be opened.)

*Sigh*. Looks like a sweaty afternoon.

Meltiiinngg....
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

My dad would say you're building character.
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

Tailgate party time. Or at least stand outside the car looking cool time.
" Hey OP, listen to my advice alright." -Tha General
"No scientific discovery is named after its original discoverer." -Stigler's Law of Eponymy, discovered by Robert K. Merton

MYT
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Smoove_B wrote: Mon Aug 01, 2022 2:58 pm My dad would say you're building character.
I lived in a car in Fresno, Stockton, and Modesto as a kid. I don't need any more of this particular character.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Finally starting to see some chatter regarding the boosters:

From Dr. Anthony Fauci re: timeline for bivalent BA.4/5 boosters for the fall: "@pfizer will have it by first or second week in September and @moderna_tx will likely have it by the end of September, the beginning of October"
I might actually break the trend and get myself a Pfizer for #4, just based on info like this:
People produced antibody responses from all three booster vaccines, no matter which vaccine they had originally received. A booster of a different vaccine caused similar or higher antibody responses than a booster of the same vaccine.
hitbyambulance

Post by hitbyambulance »

i would like to try out Novavax for the booster
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

hitbyambulance wrote: Wed Aug 10, 2022 6:36 pm i would like to try out Novavax for the booster
It's not authorized for use as a booster (right at the top)