COVID-19 treatment and vaccine update thread

Everything else!

Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

Max Peck

Re: COVID-19 treatment and vaccine update thread

Post by Max Peck »

LawBeefaroni wrote: Wed Aug 31, 2022 2:36 pm Statistically speaking.
Enlarge Image
"What? What? What?" -- The 14th Doctor

It's not enough to be a good player... you also have to play well. -- Siegbert Tarrasch
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

Max Peck wrote: Wed Aug 31, 2022 3:00 pm
LawBeefaroni wrote: Wed Aug 31, 2022 2:36 pm Statistically speaking.
Enlarge Image
Nuke the entire site from orbit. It's the only way to be sure.
pr0ner

Post by pr0ner »

LawBeefaroni wrote: Wed Aug 31, 2022 2:36 pm Statistically speaking, if you have mild COVID symptoms but no positive reported test, you don't have COVID. Statistically speaking.
Mortoned.
Hodor.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Sounds like a Christian Science member. Should get with Val Kilmer and discuss it. :P
--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"
Victoria Raverna

Post by Victoria Raverna »

gilraen wrote: Wed Aug 31, 2022 12:03 pm
coopasonic wrote: Wed Aug 31, 2022 11:13 am Here I sit with fever, chills, coughing, congestion, fatigue, headache and a negative home test, I guess maybe I really did catch the flu in August. back to the office in 6 days! :P
I have 2 coworkers with these symptoms - one here in Denver, one in Toronto - and both their home COVID tests are negative. So they are convinced it can't possibly be COVID. Because there are so many things floating around that can cause 102F fever just out of the blue...
So many things.

https://www.webmd.com/first-aid/fevers- ... treatments
The most common causes of fever are infections such as colds and stomach bugs (gastroenteritis). Other causes include:

Infections of the ear, lung, skin, throat, bladder, or kidney
Heat exhaustion
COVID-19
Sunburn
Conditions that cause inflammation, such as rheumatoid arthritis
Side effects of medications
Vaccines and immunizations
Blood clots
Autoimmune conditions such as lupus and inflammatory bowel disease (IBS)
Cancer
Hormone disorders such as hyperthyroidism
Illegal drugs such as amphetamines and cocaine
Last edited by Victoria Raverna on Wed Aug 31, 2022 7:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

gilraen wrote: Wed Aug 31, 2022 10:53 am I had COVID at the end of June, and I'm 99% sure it was BA.4 or BA.5 variant. I've been reading that I should wait longer to get the booster - basically that I wouldn't be getting the full benefit from it when it's only been ~2.5 months since I had the virus. I guess it makes sense. But then how long am I supposed to wait?
Still trying to get official opinions, and not surprisingly they're all over the place. Oddly enough, there was a study published just today regarding being vaccinated after recent SARS-CoV-2 infection and their key finding is:
Thus, B-cell responses to booster vaccines are impeded by recent infection.
That is for <60 days (which I know is outside your window) but it supports the ongoing theory that waiting longer between shots is better. However, that doesn't address (1) when you should and (2) how long is too long. I'll keep looking.
Maybe next year, maybe no go
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

Victoria Raverna wrote: Wed Aug 31, 2022 6:50 pm
gilraen wrote: Wed Aug 31, 2022 12:03 pm
coopasonic wrote: Wed Aug 31, 2022 11:13 am Here I sit with fever, chills, coughing, congestion, fatigue, headache and a negative home test, I guess maybe I really did catch the flu in August. back to the office in 6 days! :P
I have 2 coworkers with these symptoms - one here in Denver, one in Toronto - and both their home COVID tests are negative. So they are convinced it can't possibly be COVID. Because there are so many things floating around that can cause 102F fever just out of the blue...
So many things.

https://www.webmd.com/first-aid/fevers- ... treatments
The most common causes of fever are infections such as colds and stomach bugs (gastroenteritis). Other causes include:

Infections of the ear, lung, skin, throat, bladder, or kidney
Heat exhaustion
COVID-19
Sunburn
Conditions that cause inflammation, such as rheumatoid arthritis
Side effects of medications
Vaccines and immunizations
Blood clots
Autoimmune conditions such as lupus and inflammatory bowel disease (IBS)
Cancer
Hormone disorders such as hyperthyroidism
Illegal drugs such as amphetamines and cocaine
Very few of those things would qualify as "out of the blue"
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

Smoove_B wrote: Wed Aug 31, 2022 7:06 pm the ongoing theory that waiting longer between shots is better.
I plan to wait until the weather turns before getting my next booster unless there's a compelling reason to do it earlier. My last one was in April.

My vaccination card is full. Will they start a new one, or are we even doing cards anymore?
Victoria Raverna

Post by Victoria Raverna »

Kraken wrote: Wed Aug 31, 2022 9:50 pm
Smoove_B wrote: Wed Aug 31, 2022 7:06 pm the ongoing theory that waiting longer between shots is better.
I plan to wait until the weather turns before getting my next booster unless there's a compelling reason to do it earlier. My last one was in April.

My vaccination card is full. Will they start a new one, or are we even doing cards anymore?
I'm surprised that US is still using vaccination card. Here is the backward Indonesia, we have a central database that keep track of the vaccination records of all citizens. We just need our ID card number and full name to check the data with an smartphone app. The app also keep track of PCR COVID-19 test result and tell you if you need to isolate or not. It is not perfect but it is working. I guess maybe privacy worries stopped that in US.
ImLawBoy
Forum Admin

Post by ImLawBoy »

I have an app from my main hospital that contains my vaccination records. It didn't have the most recent one when I looked a while back, but it said if I was missing any to tap this button. I did it, and it magically found the record for my fourth shot and added it.
That's my purse! I don't know you!
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

I have a photo of my card on my phone that I could dig up if pressed. I'm hip and with-it, too, fellow kids.
Unagi

Post by Unagi »

Victoria Raverna wrote: Wed Aug 31, 2022 10:39 pm We just need our ID card number
gloss
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

School letting in. That's compelling enough for me. I sort of worked out timing for spring and autumn anyway. Spring warming and school letting in.

I plan to hand them my card and see what they say.
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

LordMortis wrote: Thu Sep 01, 2022 12:39 am

School letting in. That's compelling enough for me. I sort of worked out timing for spring and autumn anyway. Spring warming and school letting in.

I plan to hand them my card and see what they say.
I'm thinking I'll stack it with my flu shot in October. Unless Smoove tells me not to, in which case I will anyway but I'll feel bad about it.
Formix

Post by Formix »

I was waiting for the updated booster. Oops.
This was me three weeks ago, except it was three tests (2 professionally administered, 1 home test). I'm giving blood on Friday with the hope that they will tell me if I had it (they told me I didn't the last time I donated).
stessier

Post by stessier »

Is it still recommended to get the booster that's the opposite of the previous shots? So I'm 3x Moderna...I should be getting Pfizer (assuming both are equally available)?
I require a reminder as to why raining arcane destruction is not an appropriate response to all of life's indignities. - Vaarsuvius
Global Steam Wishmaslist Tracking
Running____2014: 1300.55 miles____2015: 2036.13 miles____2016: 1012.75 miles____2017: 1105.82 miles____2018: 1318.91 miles__2019: 2000.00 miles
Max Peck

Post by Max Peck »

Health Canada has approved the Moderna bivalent vaccine, so now it's just a matter of how long it will take for the provinces to move on it and start getting it in people's arms.

Health Canada approves updated Moderna vaccine for Omicron variant
Health Canada has formally approved Moderna's updated COVID-19 vaccine targeting the Omicron variant.

It has been approved for use in adults 18 and older.

In a decision summary made public Thursday, Health Canada said the new vaccine shows "significantly higher responses" to the Omicron BA.1 virus in comparison to Moderna's original coronavirus vaccine, officially branded as Spikevax.

While the updated vaccine was developed to target the Omicron BA.1 variant, Health Canada says clinical trials suggest the new vaccine still elicits a "stronger immune response" against the more recent mutations of Omicron — BA.4 and BA.5 — which are now dominant.

"Results of exploratory analyses suggest that a second booster with Spikevax Bivalent would provide a superior neutralizing antibody response against BA.4/5 compared to a second booster with Spikevax Original," reads a portion of the decision.

It's not enough to be a good player... you also have to play well. -- Siegbert Tarrasch
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Kraken wrote: Thu Sep 01, 2022 1:40 am I'm thinking I'll stack it with my flu shot in October. Unless Smoove tells me not to, in which case I will anyway but I'll feel bad about it.
There really is lots of debate right now on timing for the next booster (assuming you're just getting one and not coming off being ill). I think (unfortunately) it comes down to so many individual and regional factors. What are your expected activities that put you at risk? What are current circulating levels? What are your underlying health conditions? There really doesn't seem to be one *best* answer here, which is frustrating.

I can't really provide individual advice other than to repeat that "risk calculation" advice. There are advantages to waiting (especially if you're trying to time protection as we head into winter) but depending on your last shot and your underlying conditions, not having a boosted system could put you at increased risk for complications.

My age isn't a risk factor, but my heart disease (and tonnage) is. Activity wise I'm on track to win the 3rd consecutive Social Distance Champion award, so I'm not too worried there. Thankfully my employer requires masks and vaccinations, so that helps tremendously. I am struggling with what to do myself as my original thought was to also wait until early to mid October. My last shot was 10/27/21, but I just don't know. My greatest risks come from household exposures and interacting with my parents. If I didn't have a child in school my calculations might look a bit different. She's still wearing masks, but one way masking isn't nearly as effective in such a large indoor environment; it is unfortunate.
stessier wrote: Thu Sep 01, 2022 11:56 am Is it still recommended to get the booster that's the opposite of the previous shots? So I'm 3x Moderna...I should be getting Pfizer (assuming both are equally available)?
I've also been House Moderna from the get-go and I'm considering Pfizer. Not only because it's likely to be available first but also for that alleged boost in effectiveness.

I don't think anyone would officially "recommend" mixing. Instead they'd say it's ok to do so and there is likely some benefit. But if you can get [X] and you've had [X] before, that's fine.
Max Peck

Post by Max Peck »

It's been a while, but IIRC when people were talking about the benefits of mixing vaccines from one shot to the next, it had a lot more to do with mixing different types (e.g. mRNA vs whatever) than different brands of the same type (e.g. Moderna vs Pfizer).

Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Max Peck wrote: Thu Sep 01, 2022 12:15 pm It's been a while, but IIRC when people were talking about the benefits of mixing vaccines from one shot to the next, it had a lot more to do with mixing different types (e.g. mRNA vs whatever) than different brands of the same type (e.g. Moderna vs Pfizer).
I don't think the studies have been officially published yet, but some of the early work has been shared. The second sentence is the important point:
People produced antibody responses from all three booster vaccines, no matter which vaccine they had originally received.

A booster of a different vaccine caused similar or higher antibody responses than a booster of the same vaccine.
hitbyambulance

Post by hitbyambulance »

i really want to see if i can somehow sneak a Novavax in... anyone have a way to get this to happen? i'm ok with being 'unauthorized/illegal' here.
Max Peck

Post by Max Peck »

hitbyambulance wrote: Thu Sep 01, 2022 2:26 pm i really want to see if i can somehow sneak a Novavax in... anyone have a way to get this to happen? i'm ok with being 'unauthorized/illegal' here.
Can't you just ask for it? It has an emergency use authorization from the FDA.

Or is it not authorized for boosters yet?

Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

I would imagine if he goes to anyone offering it, they're going to run his info and see he's already had whatever vaccines were reported to the database. And assuming it's a retail pharmacy chain or a major hospital system, they're not going to want to risk any issues by registering (and providing) the shot to someone that has already been vaccinated with the others as it hasn't been approved for that use.

I don't know if a private doctor would be willing to go "off label" and do it, but I'm confident there are people that want to do it and they'll figure out something.
gilraen

Post by gilraen »

Smoove_B wrote: Thu Sep 01, 2022 3:00 pm I would imagine if he goes to anyone offering it, they're going to run his info and see he's already had whatever vaccines were reported to the database.
Does a chain pharmacy even bother checking someone's immunization registry records? I figured they just rely on the information that you fill out on the form.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

I'd imagine they do when the run your insurance card. Not sure what would happen if you said you didn't have insurance - if they tried looking you up in the system by name or drivers license. I really don't know what they'd do if you couldn't or refused to provide any ID or gave them misleading information (name, street address) while trying to register.

My COVID-19 booster and annual influenza shots were done by local chain pharmacy (CVS) and when I show up, they have my information already - they know what they've given me and could see that I had original vaccination from a county clinic.
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

Smoove_B wrote: Thu Sep 01, 2022 12:07 pm
Kraken wrote: Thu Sep 01, 2022 1:40 am I'm thinking I'll stack it with my flu shot in October. Unless Smoove tells me not to, in which case I will anyway but I'll feel bad about it.
There really is lots of debate right now on timing for the next booster (assuming you're just getting one and not coming off being ill). I think (unfortunately) it comes down to so many individual and regional factors. What are your expected activities that put you at risk? What are current circulating levels? What are your underlying health conditions? There really doesn't seem to be one *best* answer here, which is frustrating.

I can't really provide individual advice other than to repeat that "risk calculation" advice. There are advantages to waiting (especially if you're trying to time protection as we head into winter) but depending on your last shot and your underlying conditions, not having a boosted system could put you at increased risk for complications.

My age isn't a risk factor, but my heart disease (and tonnage) is. Activity wise I'm on track to win the 3rd consecutive Social Distance Champion award, so I'm not too worried there. Thankfully my employer requires masks and vaccinations, so that helps tremendously. I am struggling with what to do myself as my original thought was to also wait until early to mid October. My last shot was 10/27/21, but I just don't know. My greatest risks come from household exposures and interacting with my parents. If I didn't have a child in school my calculations might look a bit different. She's still wearing masks, but one way masking isn't nearly as effective in such a large indoor environment; it is unfortunate.
I'm in overall good health, and when I got covid in July it was very mild (thanks to Paxlovid). Whatever immunity I gained from that infection is probably wearing off now, and of course IDK what variant I had. Throughout the pandemic I've gotten every shot I could as early as I could. But now that I've been sick once and my fear level has dropped that doesn't seem like the optimum strategy anymore. So I'm going to stick with my gut instinct and get my flu and covid shots at around the same time in October unless circumstances change before then.
Max Peck

Post by Max Peck »

I became eligible for a second booster a few weeks ago, but opted to wait until the bivalent vaccines were rolled out since I'm still not taking risks with exposure and the provincial government stated that healthy people who got a second booster over the summer would have to wait at the end of the line when the bivalent vaccines came out in the fall. Once they're available (hopefully soon this month), I'll book an appointment for a booster as soon as I can. It's possible that they'll still be gating them by age, though, in which case I'd expect to be waiting an extra few weeks or so. Either way, I'm not easing up on the bunker lifestyle any time soon.

Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

Updated Booster Shots Expected Within Days as C.D.C. Panel Signs Off https://nyti.ms/3eipyIn
The Meal

Post by The Meal »

Sign. Me. Up.
"Better to talk to people than communicate via tweet." — Elontra
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

We're sorry, there are currently no appointments for your selected vaccine(s) available at the nearest pharmacies.
:(
Hamlet3145

Post by Hamlet3145 »

Just scheduled mine through Wallgreens for next Wednesday. It specifically said it was for the updated Moderna booster. :horse:
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

Hamlet3145 wrote: Fri Sep 02, 2022 8:55 am Just scheduled mine through Wallgreens for next Wednesday. It specifically said it was for the updated Moderna booster. :horse:
Ditto!
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

Now scheduled for 18:00 tonight. Moving from team Pfizer to team Moderna, I guess

For those who had questions, two the questions which may have deal breaker, I don't know.

Have you been treated for COVID 19 with .... (monoclonals and plasma and other stuff) in the last 90 days. The question was not have you had COVID but have you been treated with the strong stuff.
Have you been vaccinated for monkey pox in that last 4 weeks
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

LordMortis wrote: Fri Sep 02, 2022 9:46 am Now scheduled for 18:00 tonight. Moving from team Pfizer to team Moderna, I guess

For those who had questions, two the questions which may have deal breaker, I don't know.

Have you been treated for COVID 19 with .... (monoclonals and plasma and other stuff) in the last 90 days. The question was not have you had COVID but have you been treated with the strong stuff.
Have you been vaccinated for monkey pox in that last 4 weeks
Where did you find an appt for the updated shot tonight? I'd rather not wait till Wed if I can avoid it. (Elder relatively visiting mid-month so the earlier the better for me)
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

CVS. First I searched for my Zip and found nothing. So I asked for Detroit and found two spots quite aways away. Then I asked for Dearborn and hit a spot about 8 miles from my house. They had pretty much every time slot open for three weeks hour by hour. So they must have just gotten their shipment. I could have gone sooner but I already have doctor appointment this afternoon and if past performance... then I want to get shot and then go home, drink water, and rest right away, taking Tylenol a few hours in.

https://www.cvs.com/immunizations/covid-19-vaccine
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

Ah, ok. Still nothing here on CVS's site.
Roman

Post by Roman »

Call it inevitability ?
My mom was exposed at the retirement home 2 weeks ago - she's 80, vaxxed 4 times and no 'real' health issues.
48 hrs after suspected exposure she was down and out for the entire day with bad flu like symptoms - woke the next day and showered and had a few naps over the next few days.
She is fine now and still under quarantine until the 4th I believe.
She is certainly one of the luck ones to have only needed to be in bed for 1 day.

There are something like 57 confirmed cases as of this past Sunday and Tuesday / Wednesday of this week they were testing ALL residents via Toronto Public Health w/ PCR tests.

They are still in lockdown and residents are eating in their rooms only. Those not under direct quarantine CAN leave their rooms for walks etc. The residence is asking family and guests to not visit during this time.

Mom is OK but the lack of exercise and social is wearing on her mental state :(

I'm just super happy that she dodged the bullet :)
While feeding all the beasties out back I let a nice big fart. The smell followed all the way back to the house. It's like it was my baby and felt abandoned.
MHS

Post by MHS »

I'm scheduled for Wednesday at 4:30 pm, fuck yeah!! Right before 2 works trips to West Virginia and North Dakota, so big relief. :)
Black Lives Matter. No human is illegal. Women's rights are human rights. Love is love. Science is real. Kindness is everything.
MHS

Post by MHS »

Zaxxon wrote: Fri Sep 02, 2022 10:03 am Ah, ok. Still nothing here on CVS's site.
Maybe try Walgreens, I was able to schedule there.
Black Lives Matter. No human is illegal. Women's rights are human rights. Love is love. Science is real. Kindness is everything.
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

MHS wrote: Fri Sep 02, 2022 10:36 am
Zaxxon wrote: Fri Sep 02, 2022 10:03 am Ah, ok. Still nothing here on CVS's site.
Maybe try Walgreens, I was able to schedule there.
Yep, I did, for Wednesday like you. I tried CVS hoping to score an appointment for this weekend like LM did, but no dice.