The Biden Presidency Thread

For discussion of religion and politics

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, $iljanus

Carpet_pissr

Re: The Biden Presidency Thread

Post by Carpet_pissr »

A potential ‘Weekend at Bernie’s’ situation.
YellowKing

Post by YellowKing »

At this point Biden seems a bit like the tortoise in the classic Tortoise and Hare fable. Plodding along, doing his thing without regard to criticism and polls, and then shocking everyone when he pulls out a win.

In this fast-paced, instant gratification era, he's still living on Biden time. His methods may seem anachronistic, but I can't argue with the results.
malchior

Post by malchior »

YellowKing wrote: Wed Aug 10, 2022 10:50 am At this point Biden seems a bit like the tortoise in the classic Tortoise and Hare fable. Plodding along, doing his thing without regard to criticism and polls, and then shocking everyone when he pulls out a win.

In this fast-paced, instant gratification era, he's still living on Biden time. His methods may seem anachronistic, but I can't argue with the results.
I question how much of these outcomes are his results though. This is a far cry from the Clinton era where Clinton's folks carefully worked two sides against each other to get stuff done. He wasn't even really in this latest round of negotiations for the climate bill. The WH had taken a hands off approach and given up on it. Most of this stuff happened in Congress. Still he takes the blame when things don't work out - even when it's not his fault - so it's fair to take the credit - even when it's not rightly his win.
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

malchior wrote: Wed Aug 10, 2022 11:19 am
YellowKing wrote: Wed Aug 10, 2022 10:50 am At this point Biden seems a bit like the tortoise in the classic Tortoise and Hare fable. Plodding along, doing his thing without regard to criticism and polls, and then shocking everyone when he pulls out a win.

I question how much of these outcomes are his results though. This is a far cry from the Clinton era where Clinton's folks carefully worked two sides against each other to get stuff done. He wasn't even really in this latest round of negotiations for the climate bill. The WH had taken a hands off approach and given up on it. Most of this stuff happened in Congress. Still he takes the blame when things don't work out - even when it's not his fault - so it's fair to take the credit - even when it's not rightly his win.
All part of the Dark Brandon Master Plan.
Jaymann
]==(:::::::::::::>
Black Lives Matter
YellowKing

Post by YellowKing »

malchior wrote:The WH had taken a hands off approach and given up on it.
Maybe stepping away from it and letting the kids figure it out on their own is a strategy in and of itself...
Alefroth

Post by Alefroth »

A year ago saw the passage of the infrastructure bill.
stimpy

Post by stimpy »

"That's what happens when you build an economy from the bottom up and the middle out. The wealthy do very well and everyone has a chance".

BWHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

https://currently.att.yahoo.com/finance ... 04223.html
He/Him/His/Porcupine
stessier

Post by stessier »

stimpy wrote: Wed Aug 10, 2022 4:13 pm "That's what happens when you build an economy from the bottom up and the middle out. The wealthy do very well and everyone has a chance".

BWHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

I'm missing the joke. Inflation was flat compared to June.
CNBC wrote:Stocks rose sharply on Wednesday after a key inflation reading showed a better-than-expected slowdown for rising prices.

The Dow Jones Industrial Average jumped 535.10 points, or 1.63%, to close at 33,309.51. The S&P 500 gained 2.13% to 4,210.24, its highest level since early May. The Nasdaq Composite rose 2.89% to 12,854.80 for its best close since late April.

The headline consumer price index for July rose 8.5% year over year, and was flat compared to June. Economists surveyed by Dow Jones were expecting increases of 8.7% and 0.2%, respectively.
I require a reminder as to why raining arcane destruction is not an appropriate response to all of life's indignities. - Vaarsuvius
Global Steam Wishmaslist Tracking
Running____2014: 1300.55 miles____2015: 2036.13 miles____2016: 1012.75 miles____2017: 1105.82 miles____2018: 1318.91 miles__2019: 2000.00 miles
stimpy

Post by stimpy »

stessier wrote: Wed Aug 10, 2022 4:28 pm
stimpy wrote: Wed Aug 10, 2022 4:13 pm "That's what happens when you build an economy from the bottom up and the middle out. The wealthy do very well and everyone has a chance".

BWHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

CNBC wrote:Stocks rose sharply on Wednesday after a key inflation reading showed a better-than-expected slowdown for rising prices.

The Dow Jones Industrial Average jumped 535.10 points, or 1.63%, to close at 33,309.51. The S&P 500 gained 2.13% to 4,210.24, its highest level since early May. The Nasdaq Composite rose 2.89% to 12,854.80 for its best close since late April.

The headline consumer price index for July rose 8.5% year over year, and was flat compared to June. Economists surveyed by Dow Jones were expecting increases of 8.7% and 0.2%, respectively.
Inflation is flat, but still at 8.5%.
But somehow, that means everyone now has a chance.
A chance at what? I have no idea......
But I'm sure the bottoms and middles are damn happy the wealthy are doing well......
He/Him/His/Porcupine
stessier

Post by stessier »

stimpy wrote: Wed Aug 10, 2022 4:31 pm
stessier wrote: Wed Aug 10, 2022 4:28 pm

BWHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

Inflation is flat, but still at 8.5%.
But somehow, that means everyone now has a chance.
A chance at what? I have no idea......
But I'm sure the bottoms and middles are damn happy the wealthy are doing well......
Inflation is flat month over month but up 8.5% year over year. I think it's better that it's slowed down rather than continued to increase. The trick is going to be threading the needle where there is no recession. If the target is still 2-3% per year, you really want an increase of 0.2% per month or so. If we see that, this time next year we'll be around 3% year over year. That level seems better than continued 8% growth and would seem to give more people a chance at paying their bills.
I require a reminder as to why raining arcane destruction is not an appropriate response to all of life's indignities. - Vaarsuvius
Running____2014: 1300.55 miles____2015: 2036.13 miles____2016: 1012.75 miles____2017: 1105.82 miles____2018: 1318.91 miles__2019: 2000.00 miles
malchior

Post by malchior »

stessier wrote: Wed Aug 10, 2022 4:40 pmInflation is flat month over month but up 8.5% year over year. I think it's better that it's slowed down rather than continued to increase. The trick is going to be threading the needle where there is no recession. If the target is still 2-3% per year, you really want an increase of 0.2% per month or so. If we see that, this time next year we'll be around 3% year over year. That level seems better than continued 8% growth and would seem to give more people a chance at paying their bills.
The trick here has been that energy has been the big mover on inflation and gas prices dropped a lot. It's also why focusing on headline inflation isn't what most economists do. They focus on core inflation which is the real target for that 2-3%. It increased 0.3% month over month and came in at 6.1% YoY. As you said, if we saw consistent 0.2-0.3% MoM we'd drift back into target range over a year and change. That's pretty unlikely in the scheme of things. Things aren't that perfect in the real world generally but it's good news in general.
malchior

Post by malchior »

Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

I generally like Biden. I think he's done a good job and has delivered some pretty incredible results in the face of significant headwinds.

I also have significant concerns about his age. He would be 83 at the start of a next term.

I don't think that's an invalid concern when discussing whether or not he runs again.
When darkness veils the world, four Warriors of Light shall come.
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

Florida Man will be 78. Old Man's War Volume II.
Jaymann
]==(:::::::::::::>
Black Lives Matter
malchior

Post by malchior »

It's still a bit shocking to see members of his own party essentially afraid to sign on with him. It's the opposite of Trump in a way.
Unagi

Post by Unagi »

Sorta frames it as a good thing then, doesn’t it?
malchior

Post by malchior »

Unagi wrote: Sun Aug 14, 2022 7:59 am Sorta frames it as a good thing then, doesn’t it?
Not really. Sure I'm glad the Democratic party isn't a cult but it essentially means the guy we need to be doing well to save democracy is so unpopular that his own party is distancing itself in parts.
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

"A bit of a superhero." Biden turns around presidency...

The Boston Globe has long leaned strongly Dem, as does Boston, so a bit of hagiography from them is expected. But it seems like Joe is enjoying some media love just when he needs it.
The successes have fueled optimism among Democrats that the party might defy history and hold its slim congressional majorities in November as the president’s low approval rating has begun inching upward.

Biden emerged from isolation this past week after his bout with COVID to sign bipartisan bills boosting US computer chip production and expanding health care benefits for veterans exposed to toxic burn pits. In the coming days, he’s expected to sign the Inflation Reduction Act, legislation long sought by Democrats that tackles climate change and lowers prescription drug costs.

“Decades from now, people are going to look back at this week, with all we passed ... [and say] that we met the moment at this inflection point in history,” Biden said in signing the CHIPS and Science Act on Tuesday.

Prior to the recent flurry of signings, Biden secured confirmation of Ketanji Brown Jackson to the Supreme Court this spring as the first Black woman justice. In June, he signed bipartisan legislation addressing gun violence, the first federal action on the issue in decades. He also scored a major national security success this summer with the killing of al-Qaida leader Ayman al-Zawahri by a US drone strike in Afghanistan.

Some developments outside of Biden’s control also have added to the momentum. The Supreme Court’s June decision ending the constitutional right to abortion could boost Democratic turnout in November and lure independents who support abortion rights to vote for the party’s candidates. And to top it off, economic news has turned more positive, with data from July showing strong job growth and a steady decline in gas prices that slowed a soaring annual inflation rate.

“Over the last few months, it sure looks like he’s found his mojo again,” said Simon Rosenberg, president of the centrist Democratic think tank NDN.

The Democrats’ recent successes have already altered Biden’s legacy in the minds of historians. Adding last year’s $1.9 trillion American Rescue Plan and $1.2 trillion bipartisan infrastructure law, Biden’s list of achievements in his first 18 months mark his term as moderately successful so far, and he gets extra credit for doing so with razor-thin congressional margins in a time of bitter partisan division, said Barbara A. Perry, director of presidential studies at the University of Virginia’s Miller Center.

That’s still a far cry from the hopes Biden had for a transformative presidency like that of Franklin D. Roosevelt, the architect of the New Deal, and Lyndon B. Johnson, who enacted the Great Society social programs. Biden referenced Roosevelt in his 2020 nomination acceptance speech and had his portrait hung over the fireplace in the Oval Office.

Historically, Perry said she’d rank Biden in the middle of the pack of past presidents. That’s about where historians placed him in the Siena College Research Institute’s latest Survey of US Presidents that was released in June: 19th out of 45 presidents — between Ronald Reagan and George H.W. Bush. In the survey’s 20 categories, Biden rated highest on ability to compromise (9th) and lowest on luck (34th).

New presidents often get a middling ranking after one year, with the exception of Trump, who was ranked third from last in 2018 and held the same spot in this year’s survey, said Donald P. Levy, the institute’s director. And, Biden’s score could improve given the recent legislative accomplishments, particularly if they have a major impact over time, as the climate provisions might do, Levy said.
The White House said Biden and top administration officials plan to travel around the country this month to boast of successes they say will help the American people. And Rosenberg said those victories, along with an improved economic outlook, has given the Democrats some wind at their back.

“I think Joe Biden can now say, ‘I’ve been a successful president and I’ve left the country better than I found it,’ “ Rosenberg said. “I think up until very recently, our argument about that was not as strong.”
stessier

Post by stessier »

Here's a nice explanation of what is in the Inflation Reduction Act (with the very confusing IRA acronym).

Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

I read Hank's twitter thread on the bill earlier and had been meaning to watch the vid--thanks.
malchior

Post by malchior »

Zaxxon wrote: Tue Aug 16, 2022 5:00 pm I read Hank's twitter thread on the bill earlier and had been meaning to watch the vid--thanks.
It was really good at unpacking it and he threw the appropriate amount of skepticism Manchin's way.

Speaking of hot stinky, garbage some of the junk that made it into the bill thanks to Manchin was the feature of a good NY Times op ed on carbon capture. It does a good job talking about how it is a waste of resources. In my opinion it was a bribe/payout to the kleptocrats and oh...it just so happened to align Manchin's personal/familial financial interests. :roll:
Holman

Post by Holman »

malchior wrote: Tue Aug 16, 2022 5:10 pm Speaking of hot stinky, garbage some of the junk that made it into the bill thanks to Manchin was the feature of a good NY Times op ed on carbon capture. It does a good job talking about how it is a waste of resources. In my opinion it was a bribe/payout to the kleptocrats and oh...it just so happened to align Manchin's personal/familial financial interests. :roll:
Climate-wise, we're at the point late in Schindler's List where Oscar Schindler is passing handfuls of small diamonds to Nazi officials for their acquiescence in the survival of their victims.
Much prefer my Nazis Nuremberged.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

With all the insanity, this was good for a laugh

Maybe next year, maybe no go
Pyperkub

Post by Pyperkub »

Smoove_B wrote: Tue Aug 16, 2022 7:31 pm With all the insanity, this was good for a laugh

Was just coming to post that! ;) :D :wub:
Black Lives definitely Matter Lorini!

Also: There are three ways to not tell the truth: lies, damned lies, and statistics.
Holman

Post by Holman »

:D
Much prefer my Nazis Nuremberged.
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

Smoove_B wrote: Tue Aug 16, 2022 7:31 pm With all the insanity, this was good for a laugh

Funny to see it stated like this because the last POTUS promised us negotiated medicare prescription reduction "in the first 100 days" back in 2016 and then kept promising it, as did his GOP Congress. They had a plan. They had a plan. They had a plan. Never did see it.
Grifman

Post by Grifman »

Tolerance is the virtue of the man without convictions. – G.K. Chesterton
Victoria Raverna

Post by Victoria Raverna »

Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

I believe we can end cancer as we know it and even cure cancers once and for all.
Yeah, as long as it doesn't involve wearing a mask or needing a vaccination.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Dying of cancer to own the libs.
It's almost as if people are the problem.
Carpet_pissr

Post by Carpet_pissr »

Highly recommend the article on Politico today about the relationship between Obama and Biden (it’s not a tale of two buddies if that’s what you’re thinking).

https://www.politico.com/news/magazine/ ... p-00056044

Spoiler: Obama thought he was too old to run in 2016!
Unagi

Post by Unagi »

Smoove_B wrote: Mon Sep 12, 2022 7:12 pm
I believe we can end cancer as we know it and even cure cancers once and for all.
Yeah, as long as it doesn't involve wearing a mask or needing a vaccination.
Politics aside...

choke... kidding...

Politically speaking this is brilliant. If there is a polar side to take on this - I think Biden just tried to claim "Fuck Cancer" - and is going to let anyone else claim the other side.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Oh, I'm sure it's going to sound a lot like "I'm not letting my tax dollars pay for poor smokers or fat people to get cured of cancer".
Unagi

Post by Unagi »

Carpet_pissr wrote: Mon Sep 12, 2022 7:47 pm Highly recommend the article on Politico today about the relationship between Obama and Biden (it’s not a tale of two buddies if that’s what you’re thinking).

(I've not yet clicked your link)

I think it's almost an honorable truth that Biden was indeed too old to run in 2016, and that he felt that way too, and yet it was the best option and may indeed play out to be 'the best move' as well, as the political cost for making up for Trump could all be absorbed by Biden and mostly waved off by whoever could (in a miracle imaginary world of mine) step in and run in his stead in 2024.
Unagi

Post by Unagi »

Smoove_B wrote: Mon Sep 12, 2022 9:13 pm Oh, I'm sure it's going to sound a lot like "I'm not letting my tax dollars pay for poor smokers or fat people to get cured of cancer".
Cancer finds a way to be relevant in most people lives - I would say.
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

Its kind of a big ask though. I mean why not just go after death itself? It's not like we're not trying to solve cancer.

Granted, fundraising to cure cancer is a bigger business than actually curing cancer but we're definitely working on it.
" Hey OP, listen to my advice alright." -Tha General
"No scientific discovery is named after its original discoverer." -Stigler's Law of Eponymy, discovered by Robert K. Merton

MYT
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Unagi wrote: Mon Sep 12, 2022 9:37 pm Cancer finds a way to be relevant in most people lives - I would say.
Given that and how much I thought Covid-19 would have been relevant in most people's lives, I'm still not hopeful. I really don't think people have a collective social interest anymore. I think they did, but it's gone now.
Unagi

Post by Unagi »

I can't argue against that. :(
Carpet_pissr

Post by Carpet_pissr »

Unagi wrote: Mon Sep 12, 2022 9:36 pm
Carpet_pissr wrote: Mon Sep 12, 2022 7:47 pm Highly recommend the article on Politico today about the relationship between Obama and Biden (it’s not a tale of two buddies if that’s what you’re thinking).

I think it's almost an honorable truth that Biden was indeed too old to run in 2016, and that he felt that way too, and yet it was the best option and may indeed play out to be 'the best move' as well, as the political cost for making up for Trump could all be absorbed by Biden and mostly waved off by whoever could (in a miracle imaginary world of mine) step in and run in his stead in 2024.
Sorry, I should have posted the title of the article: ‘You Believe This S--t?’ Biden’s Complicated Friendship With Obama‘

Age is mentioned very little actually, and it’s a good, meaty article.
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

Unagi wrote: Mon Sep 12, 2022 9:36 pm

This. I believe Biden felt duty to run more than ambition and I think his presidency started that way. Now he's the compassionate president be that for good or ill. I have no idea if he runs in 24 nor who will step in if he doesn't.