Well, it finally happened... (job related) (happier news)

Everything else!

Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

Sepiche

Well, it finally happened... (job related) (happier news)

Post by Sepiche »

I had been waiting for this day for a long, long time, but I finally lost my job of almost 20 years on the 14th.

Their official reasons don't really make a lot of sense, so I suspect it's that they needed to cut expenses and I was just the low man on the totem pole this time around, but I also can't deny I'd been feeling depressed, and extra burnt out the last few months and my productivity had been suffering.

I was pretty depressed, especially the first week afterward, but I think I'm starting to come to grips with it and getting ready to move on to something hopefully better. The truth is I burnt out on that job way back around 2006 or so and, some ups and downs aside, had pretty much just been collecting the good pay for as long as they kept paying me, and little more. Realizing I might actually be able to find a job that is interesting and fulfilling is a bit of a new concept to me at this point. I'm also reminding myself of how much worse it could be given everything going on in the country now. I at least have a few months severance to give me a little more time, and considerable savings, so we're not in any immediate danger like some are right now.

The last few years we also shifted away from the old and busted languages we were using to much more cutting edge stuff like AWS, React, and GraphQL which gave me some invaluable experience. With a little brushing up I'm pretty confident I'll be able to find work thanks to that.

Anyway, still some parts of it I'm getting over, and I'm still processing the 20 years worth of emotions I had wrapped up in that job, but I'm at least starting to feel a few shreds of optimism seep in and hope for something better.

Hope everyone else is having as safe and happy a holiday as possible right now.

Much love OO <3
Last edited by Sepiche on Thu Jun 16, 2022 8:38 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Sepiche

Re: Well, it finally happened... (job related)

Post by Sepiche »

Wrong forum :oops:.

If a mod wants to throw this to EBG I'd appreciate it. :)
Freyland

Post by Freyland »

Good luck, Sepiche. I'm glad you are seeing some positive in this, and even more so that you can wing it while you search.
Sims 3 and signature unclear.
Remus West

Post by Remus West »

Glad you're starting to feel optimism. I hope everything works out and you find a job that actually engages you again.
“As democracy is perfected, the office of president represents, more and more closely, the inner soul of the people. On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.” - H.L. Mencken
RunningMn9

Post by RunningMn9 »

I’m sorry to hear this. I went through a similar situation 10 years. My main advice is to spend some time thinking about what you really want to do, and then focus on making that happen.
And in banks across the world
Christians, Moslems, Hindus, Jews
And every other race, creed, colour, tint or hue
Get down on their knees and pray
The raccoon and the groundhog neatly
Make up bags of change
But the monkey in the corner
Well he's slowly drifting out of range
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

Congratudolences?

I have a long history of sticking with lost causes long after I should have known better. Inertia is strong in me. I hope this turns out to be the kick you needed to improve your situation.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Seems in my grandparents day a person worked a job their entire life then retired with them. Now days jobs come and go all the time and theres not a company retirement.

The last one I can think of is my step mom who worked for American Uniform her entire life nearly. I remember her 50 year diamond brooch thing. Think she melted it down and used the stuff to make a new setting for the gems into a ring. She worked there another 10 or 15 years then retired.
--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"
Sepiche

Post by Sepiche »

Kraken wrote: Sun Dec 27, 2020 7:14 pm Congratudolences?
That's about right.

I mean... I'm still wobbling between optimism, a newfound sense of freedom, and abject terror, but I'm getting there. :)
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

Sepiche wrote: Sun Dec 27, 2020 5:37 pm Wrong forum :oops:.

If a mod wants to throw this to EBG I'd appreciate it. :)
Done.

Sorry about the job loss but I can relate to just collecting a paycheck. I left my last job (of about 19 years) because I was not challenged and I've done more in the last 4 years than I did in the previous 10.
" Hey OP, listen to my advice alright." -Tha General
"No scientific discovery is named after its original discoverer." -Stigler's Law of Eponymy, discovered by Robert K. Merton

MYT
Lorini

Post by Lorini »

I wish you the best in your future endeavors. I miss seeing you in Video Games, me and you like similar stuff it seems.
Black Lives Matter
hitbyambulance

Post by hitbyambulance »

Sepiche wrote: Sun Dec 27, 2020 5:36 pm
The last few years we also shifted away from the old and busted languages we were using to much more cutting edge stuff like AWS, React, and GraphQL which gave me some invaluable experience. With a little brushing up I'm pretty confident I'll be able to find work thanks to that.
given the amount of remote dev work available now (and even more when widespread hiring starts in January), you will have no issue. at least half a hundred jobs available with that skill set in the Seattle area now.
Sepiche

Post by Sepiche »

Thanks for all the kind words guys. Every little bit helps my confidence right now. I'm generally putting on a good showing, but my moods swing wildly still.

I've been hearing similar things from a lot of my contacts, hitbyambulance... that the development economy is pretty hot right now and there's work to be found, so I think that's helping feed my optimism.

I've been working nearly nonstop developing for 25 years now, so taking a few weeks to breathe, but Garmin has its HQ up the road from me, so I'd be crazy to not at least give them a shot and I've got some leads coming in.

Turns out having a wife in the 501st is pretty handy for networking. :D
gbasden

Post by gbasden »

Nice! Always take advantage of networking, even with Stormtroopers. :)

Dev work is really hot here as well, so I think you are set up pretty well to succeed. Let me know if I can help in any way!
Sepiche

Post by Sepiche »

Lorini wrote: Mon Dec 28, 2020 12:15 pm I wish you the best in your future endeavors. I miss seeing you in Video Games, me and you like similar stuff it seems.
Thanks Lorini, I feel the same. I know there have been times where I was looking for something new and knew that whatever game you had been sinking your hours into lately would be a good one for me. :)
hitbyambulance

Post by hitbyambulance »

Sepiche wrote: Mon Dec 28, 2020 5:11 pm
I've been working nearly nonstop developing for 25 years now, so taking a few weeks to breathe
yeah, take as much time off as you need - in your situation, i wouldn't worry about future job prospects at all.
Moat_Man

Post by Moat_Man »

I think everyone has forgotten that the roaring 20's (1920's) happened directly after the end of the Spanish Influenza Pandemic. I think the same thing will happen here. There is a lot of pent up demand and I think people will travel and spend money once we do fun things again.
End of line
¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯
Baroquen

Post by Baroquen »

Good luck Sepiche! Uncertainty can definitely be nerve-wracking but it sounds like better things could be on the horizon. I hope things turn out well for you!
Lorini

Post by Lorini »

Moat_Man wrote: Mon Dec 28, 2020 10:25 pm I think everyone has forgotten that the roaring 20's (1920's) happened directly after the end of the Spanish Influenza Pandemic. I think the same thing will happen here. There is a lot of pent up demand and I think people will travel and spend money once we do fun things again.
Agreed. There's a ton of opportunities to come!!!
Black Lives Matter
AWS260

Post by AWS260 »

Good luck, Sepiche. Losing a job is never good news exactly, but it sounds like you're more than ready for something new. Here's to a great 2021 for you (and all of us).
Zenn7

Post by Zenn7 »

Job loss sucks (always better to leave for a new job than be let go and have to find a new job), but it sounds like you have nothing to worry about and are likely going to benefit from this forced change, so grats I guess?
Sepiche

Post by Sepiche »

Turns out one of the harder things about being without a job after working for 25 years straight is the generalized anxiety during the day where I feel like I'm breaking the rules because I'm not working and haven't let anyone know I'm taking time off... just feels weird, but getting used to it. :D

Just been practicing my coding to make sure my knowledge stays sharp and familiarizing myself with languages and packages that seem be in demand now. Helps relieve my anxiety during the day, and it's been really good to just be able to code at my pace and be able to spend time getting more familiar with the code behind parts of our app that our lead dev always hogged. :P

Also got myself listed on Linked in finally, connected with some old development friends, and started looking through jobs there. Already had a small swarm of recruiters contact me, but also a few actual businesses that came across my resume for particular jobs. Makes me feel much better as it looks like I'll at least have a fairly good amount of choice over what job I finally go with.

Just also wanted to thank all you fellow OOers again. I don't always post a lot here, and I'm not a talkative person IRL even in the best of times, but being able to post things here has always been a great outlet for me, and I just appreciate everyone who still frequents this little corner of the internet. :wub:
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

Sepiche wrote: Tue Jan 19, 2021 2:30 pm Turns out one of the harder things about being without a job after working for 25 years straight is the generalized anxiety during the day where I feel like I'm breaking the rules because I'm not working
This was my one and only experience with being unemployed. I'm waiting for the day I don't have to work and don't feel anxiety for it. That day is nearing my reach, I hope.
dbt1949

Post by dbt1949 »

I never had problems being without a job. I had problems being without income.
Ye Olde Farte
Double Ought Forty
aka dbt1949
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

LordMortis wrote: Tue Jan 19, 2021 3:11 pm
Sepiche wrote: Tue Jan 19, 2021 2:30 pm Turns out one of the harder things about being without a job after working for 25 years straight is the generalized anxiety during the day where I feel like I'm breaking the rules because I'm not working
This was my one and only experience with being unemployed. I'm waiting for the day I don't have to work and don't feel anxiety for it. That day is nearing my reach, I hope.
My wife is trying hard to spin things so I can be in that situation, but it's just not possible, even packing it all in here and heading to the Philippines. While it doesn't take a lot to live well there, we need a steady income stream that would maintain that level (full social security would do it, taking half would be pressing things). The main problem there is generating income is very difficult -- my wife is building a chicken farm there, but there's little chance that will generate a sustainable income. I once told my wife we could live there if I could approximate my salary there, which would be 4.8 million PHP per year. She laughed and said a bank president makes about 30,000. You can hire skilled programmers there for about $200 per month.

So my wife has been interviewing the last few days because her current job curtailed OT after everyone is back to work after being out with Covid.
It seems she can't say no to any of them (or at least hold out for a better offer), and it seems she's intending to work one job full time and another part time, but still wants to preserve occasional days off. Neither of these places pay as well as her current job, and she would do better taking any OT offers as they come up. But Covid killed off a lot of their residents, so she thinks that even maintaining a 40 hour week could become difficult.

Meanwhile, the place I accidentally applied to in Lafayette, IN has called me 3 times. I'd love for someplace locally to be so persistent.
Black Lives Matter
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

Jeff V wrote: Tue Jan 19, 2021 8:53 pm Meanwhile, the place I accidentally applied to in Lafayette, IN has called me 3 times. I'd love for someplace locally to be so persistent.
If they're that interested, maybe they'll discuss a partial work-from-home arrangement.
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

Kraken wrote: Tue Jan 19, 2021 10:45 pm
Jeff V wrote: Tue Jan 19, 2021 8:53 pm Meanwhile, the place I accidentally applied to in Lafayette, IN has called me 3 times. I'd love for someplace locally to be so persistent.
If they're that interested, maybe they'll discuss a partial work-from-home arrangement.
It doen't seem likely, the job description seemed more hands-on infrastructure management.
Black Lives Matter
Fardaza

Post by Fardaza »

Here's my hope that 2021 finds you the position you really want!
Sepiche

Post by Sepiche »

Well, it's been a year and a half since I posted this and it's been a really hard year and a half. :(

I've been battling depression, and all year long each time I felt I was finally starting to get my head on straight and motivated to work again it seems like another thing came at me. The worst hits were my dad nearly dying of a heart attack last year, losing my very close uncle a few weeks later to Covid, and since the beginning of this year I've been having to take care of my mom whose Parkinson's diagnosis has been updated to lewy body dementia which has lesser physical symptoms than Parkinson's, but has metal effects similar to Alzheimer's.

Last week I rushed over to my parents when my dad called and said my mom was having a bad episode to find them both covered in blood after my mom bit my dads arm trying to get out of the house because she was seeing people and thought she was in danger. Nothing really prepares you for that. :cry:

I've been focused on them all year and money is finally running out, so I've had to start looking for work finally, not only for myself, but to help us try to afford to cover the costs of a good memory care facility for my mom as it's just getting impossible for us to give her the care she needs.

Finally some good news... I don't want to get ahead of myself, but I've only formally had my resume out and been applying for jobs for a week, but I've had a lot of interest, and tomorrow I have my first in person interview in over 20 years after a phone interview today that seemed to go really well. I'm just hoping my mom has a few good days and I can keep myself stable long enough to seem like a good candidate. :lol:

I didn't intend for this post to sound so down... just getting back out there and getting so much good feedback has really improved my mood, but I guess I just needed to get some of this out and ask for a few good vibes my way tomorrow as I'm pretty anxious about this interview despite how well the phone interview went.

I haven't had the will to post near as much as I used to recently, but still, thanks for being there all the same OO. <3
Unagi

Post by Unagi »

This has been a hard last couple years for a lot of us, unspokenly ... Let me just say you are not alone - and also not alone in keeping the effort going. Stay strong and always remember the loves in your life.

- kinda sounds silly, but I feel like I hear ya.
Zarathud

Post by Zarathud »

Good luck, it’s terribly hard to be a caregiver. And to deal with aging parents who need help.
"If the facts don't fit the theory, change the facts." - Albert Einstein
"I don't stand by anything." - Trump
“Bad men need nothing more to compass their ends, than that good men should look on and do nothing.” - John Stuart Mill, Inaugural Address Delivered to the University of St Andrews, 2/1/1867
“It is the impractical things in this tumultuous hell-scape of a world that matter most. A book, a name, chicken soup. They help us remember that, even in our darkest hour, life is still to be savored.” - Poe, Altered Carbon
Grifman

Post by Grifman »

Sepiche wrote: Tue Jun 07, 2022 7:46 pm Well, it's been a year and a half since I posted this and it's been a really hard year and a half. :(

I've been battling depression, and all year long each time I felt I was finally starting to get my head on straight and motivated to work again it seems like another thing came at me. The worst hits were my dad nearly dying of a heart attack last year, losing my very close uncle a few weeks later to Covid, and since the beginning of this year I've been having to take care of my mom whose Parkinson's diagnosis has been updated to lewy body dementia which has lesser physical symptoms than Parkinson's, but has metal effects similar to Alzheimer's.

Last week I rushed over to my parents when my dad called and said my mom was having a bad episode to find them both covered in blood after my mom bit my dads arm trying to get out of the house because she was seeing people and thought she was in danger. Nothing really prepares you for that. :cry:

I've been focused on them all year and money is finally running out, so I've had to start looking for work finally, not only for myself, but to help us try to afford to cover the costs of a good memory care facility for my mom as it's just getting impossible for us to give her the care she needs.

Finally some good news... I don't want to get ahead of myself, but I've only formally had my resume out and been applying for jobs for a week, but I've had a lot of interest, and tomorrow I have my first in person interview in over 20 years after a phone interview today that seemed to go really well. I'm just hoping my mom has a few good days and I can keep myself stable long enough to seem like a good candidate. :lol:

I didn't intend for this post to sound so down... just getting back out there and getting so much good feedback has really improved my mood, but I guess I just needed to get some of this out and ask for a few good vibes my way tomorrow as I'm pretty anxious about this interview despite how well the phone interview went.

I haven't had the will to post near as much as I used to recently, but still, thanks for being there all the same OO. <3
Hey, I was guardian for my cousin who had Alzheimer's so if you need someone to talk to, I know what you are going through so feel free to contact me. I can also give you advice on searching for memory care and how I worked that out for my cousin who had a very limited income.
Tolerance is the virtue of the man without convictions. – G.K. Chesterton
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

Here's hoping you can catch a break. Sorry I don't have any helpful advice.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Sepiche - not a guardian for either parent, but we've been dealing with health issues with my mom for 2+ years now. Namely, she's has been in near constant Afib and her quality of life has diminished significantly because of the anti-stroke meds they have her on and the outpatient surgeries every ~4-6 weeks. Between the Afib and the pandemic it's been...not great. Of course things can always be worse, but to the degree I can empathize, I do. She had cancer treatments in 2018 and that was also difficult. It's been a very strange set of shoes to be wearing - trying to be a parent but then also potentially taking care of parent - all while also trying to survive.

Good to see you back posting and I wish you luck on your job interview.
Maybe next year, maybe no go
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Best luck to you Sep. The grandmother that raised me started to develop Alz when I was about 14. I stayed 2 more years before moving in with my dad and step mom. Then as an adult my motherNlaw had it or dementia and we dealt with that. Its a horrible thing and very hard on those who love the person. So I know what you are facing. Im glad you are getting her a care place.
--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"
Hipolito

Post by Hipolito »

You're a strong person to go through all this, Sepiche. Best of luck on the interview.
gbasden

Post by gbasden »

I feel for you - caretaking for parents is incredibly hard. If you ever need to vent, we're happy to listen. I'll be thinking good thoughts for your interview!
Little Raven

Post by Little Raven »

Good news is that it's a white hot market out there for anyone with decent skills, so I'm sure you'll find something soon once you're in a good place to go looking. Bad news is that won't make things on the parent front any easier, although money helps with everything.

Best of luck to you, man. I dread the day my parents get frail. :(
/. "She climbed backwards out her
\/ window into Outside Over There."
Archinerd

Post by Archinerd »

Hang in there Sepiche, getting some good news on the job front will hopefully make the bad news manageable.
Sepiche

Post by Sepiche »

Thank you guys for the kind words. I appreciate it. We're all getting older, so it's no surprise so many of you have been through similar situations and my heart goes out to all of you as well who have dealt with caring for your parents in any way.

Thankfully while my dad isn't rich, they aren't poor either and we've been able to start getting more support to help mom, but my dad is also tired from all his medical problems and a bit reluctant to change things, so sometimes it feels like a sisyphean task getting him to agree to changes to help mom, but I've been making progress.

Just feels like such an overwhelming amount of work to do sometimes all the while looking for a job and trying to keep things stable for myself at home.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Hang in there - you're facing some tough stuff, but you're facing the right direction!

Just a word of advice from someone who has faced some of the same general sorts of challenges (albeit with different factors.) Consider talking to a professional about it. If you're broke, there are going to be options - a lot of places have sliding scales for their fees. It can make a huge difference, and sometimes they'll have insights into what's holding you back that you'd never have thought of on your own, and can really lead to big leaps forward.
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)