Well, it finally happened... (job related) (happier news)

Everything else!

Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

Sepiche

Re: Well, it finally happened... (job related)

Post by Sepiche »

Blackhawk wrote: Wed Jun 08, 2022 2:17 pm Hang in there - you're facing some tough stuff, but you're facing the right direction!

Just a word of advice from someone who has faced some of the same general sorts of challenges (albeit with different factors.) Consider talking to a professional about it. If you're broke, there are going to be options - a lot of places have sliding scales for their fees. It can make a huge difference, and sometimes they'll have insights into what's holding you back that you'd never have thought of on your own, and can really lead to big leaps forward.
Thank you.

That's definitely something I've been considering. I tried to self medicate with pot for far too long, and a fear that they would tell me to stop held me back, but I've finally been able to quit and once things settle down a bit more that strikes me as a wise option.

I don't want to get ahead of myself just yet, but interview went great and they said they plan on offering me the position in the next few days. Small pay cut from what I was making, but with stock options, 401k I might just come out ahead. A lot of new skills I can pick up too that makes me excited to get back into developing.
Sepiche

Re: Well, it finally happened... (job related)

Post by Sepiche »

This thread finally deserves a hopefully happy ending.

I got offered the position I interviewed for and after sweating through my first ever drug test (because I should have stopped smoking SOONER), I just got confirmation a few hours ago that I'll be starting work for the first time in a year and a half on Monday. :D

I still feel the imprint of the the weight of everything that goes along with being unemployed (and running out of money) on my shoulders, but it's slowly fading, and with everything that's been going on with my folks, I'm just happy to have some work I can throw myself into. I may find I'm mistaken once I start, but my impression is I'm a bit overqualified for the work I'll be doing, so hopefully I'll be able to hit the ground running and get back into a sweet, soothing routine again.

My mom has also started on a new medication that, with a few bumps here and there, seems to be helping with her hallucinations and things have been a lot calmer on that front in the last week. She had an EEG done today to give them a better idea of what's going on, and we start touring memory care facilities tomorrow. Still likely a lot of ups and downs to come, and affording memory care is still something we'll have to figure out, but we've got some time to get that done, as long as we're moving forward.

For tonight at least though I'll put aside all the other craziness going on in the world and enjoy a little taste of hope for a change.
Unagi

Re: Well, it finally happened... (job related) (happier news)

Post by Unagi »

Congrats, and good luck !! Perhaps the miasma has passed. :D
dbt1949

Post by dbt1949 »

I too am happy for you. :wink:
Ye Olde Farte
Double Ought Forty
aka dbt1949
Baroquen

Post by Baroquen »

Congratulations! Hope things continue looking up for you!
Zarathud

Post by Zarathud »

Great news! Good luck, hope everything keeps going well for you.
"If the facts don't fit the theory, change the facts." - Albert Einstein
"I don't stand by anything." - Trump
“Bad men need nothing more to compass their ends, than that good men should look on and do nothing.” - John Stuart Mill, Inaugural Address Delivered to the University of St Andrews, 2/1/1867
“It is the impractical things in this tumultuous hell-scape of a world that matter most. A book, a name, chicken soup. They help us remember that, even in our darkest hour, life is still to be savored.” - Poe, Altered Carbon
Lassr

Post by Lassr »

Fantastic! Good luck with everything!
The only reason people get lost in thought is because it's unfamiliar territory.

Black Lives Matter
Fardaza

Post by Fardaza »

Congrats! Hope everything works out well.
Sepiche

Post by Sepiche »

Small epilogue-ish to the parents and job drama:
Job has been going great. I'm not great with people, and starting my first new job in 25 years was terrifying, but it turns out for the first time in my life I landed a boss that actually cares about his employees and is a treat to work with. He grew up locally as well and we share a lot of that history, and he's dealing with aging parents too, so he's very forgiving off me missing time here and there to help my folks.

On the technical side, I'm also the new office star. My old job really beat down my self esteem and my opinion of my skills, but turns out I'm actually pretty good at my job, and this new company realizes it and wants me involved. Go figure.

I can count on one hand the number of times I was encouraged or rewarded in 20 years at my old job, but a few months into my new job I was called up to the executive floor and the COO of the company talked with me for 2 hours about how impressed they were with me and how I was going to be at the center of their development efforts as long as I was there. :shock:

In less good news, my mom went downhill a lot faster than we expected and in December I finally convinced my dad she would be better cared for in a home. There were some ups and downs getting her in, but we found a good local place where she's getting much better care than my dad could provide, and the nurses really like her and watch out for her.

My dad unfortunately has been going downhill fast now as well. Having to put mom in a home really pushed him into a depression, and his heart condition is also taking it's toll. Thursday, on my first day off of work for myself in 9 months, I got a call at 11:30 that my dad jumped the curb and hit a light post while he was driving around here in town. Thankfully he's okay, and no one was hurt, but it rattled me a bit and since even a little before the crash he's been acting a bit erratic, and more so after the crash. He was angrily clamoring for a rental car so he can get around, but my brother and I are going to take it a little slow and make sure he gets checked out by doctors before he gets back on the road.

I hope all the other Overlords are hanging in there. I still read the forums and follow everyone's news as I have time, even if work and parents keep me busy these days.
hitbyambulance

Post by hitbyambulance »

Sepiche wrote: Sat Mar 04, 2023 11:08 am
My dad unfortunately has been going downhill fast now as well. Having to put mom in a home really pushed him into a depression, and his heart condition is also taking it's toll.
yeah, i have the feeling that is something happened to my mom, my dad would not take it well.
dbt1949

Post by dbt1949 »

Think what would happen to your morale if something happened to your wife.
Ye Olde Farte
Double Ought Forty
aka dbt1949
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

I mean, I'd get to kick my MIL out.
It's almost as if people are the problem.
Fardaza

Post by Fardaza »

Hope your dad adjusts well all things considered. Dealing with all those issues you mentioned is not a task any of us look forward to or enjoyed when it happened to us.

On the positive side, it's great to hear that people appreciate your work! I know that when I was working, it made a great difference in my morale when others expressed thanks for the job I was doing.
Sepiche

Post by Sepiche »

Wow, so the last few days after my dad's accident have been wild.

Over the weekend my brother and I took him to visit our mom at the nursing home, but as we were sitting there he looked white as a sheet and could barely walk. One of the nurses there checked his blood oxygen, found it was around 84, and told us to take him to the ER.

We had taken him there right after the crash, but they had pretty much just looked him over and let him go as his physical injuries didn't seem that bad, and he said he was fine. This time we told them about how lethargic and out of energy he was and they ordered a blood test among other things. Turns out his hemoglobin level, which should be in the neighborhood of 15 grams per deciliter, was about 3.7. :shock:

He's been in the hospital since then slowly getting blood transfusions and being treated. As near as they can tell he just had severe iron deficiency for some reason, and the series of nose bleeds he had been getting lately because of his blood thinners just caused him to slowly lose more blood than his body could replace. The accident was likely due to him briefly passing out and hitting the light post.

His hemoglobin is up to 9 now and rising on its own, so he should be released tomorrow if all goes well. He's looking more like himself than he has in months, and said he felt well rested for the first time in even longer.

Kicking myself for not pushing him harder to get looked at, but there's only so much I could do. He's the old school stubborn type that just refuses to see a doctor unless he's on the verge of dying... which he was this time. Just glad we got him there in time though and there were able to get him stabilized fast.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Glad to hear he's on the mend. Hopefully he bounces back to his old self under treatment.
It's almost as if people are the problem.