NFL 2021 Postseason

Everything else!

Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

stessier

Re: NFL 2021 Season

Post by stessier »

El Guapo wrote: Mon Nov 22, 2021 2:34 pm I also don't want to get too far ahead in terms of touting the Patriots greatness. In the past month they've mostly beaten ~ .500 level teams (plus the Jets). The Titans next Sunday will be a good test, plus they have the Bills twice.

They're in good shape (especially since the other games aren't against great teams), but I don't want to get ahead of myself on them too much.
Name that AFC Team that hasn't had a similar schedule over the last month? The whole conference hovers around .500.
I require a reminder as to why raining arcane destruction is not an appropriate response to all of life's indignities. - Vaarsuvius
Global Steam Wishmaslist Tracking
Running____2014: 1300.55 miles____2015: 2036.13 miles____2016: 1012.75 miles____2017: 1105.82 miles____2018: 1318.91 miles__2019: 2000.00 miles
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

stessier wrote: Mon Nov 22, 2021 3:57 pm
El Guapo wrote: Mon Nov 22, 2021 2:34 pm I also don't want to get too far ahead in terms of touting the Patriots greatness. In the past month they've mostly beaten ~ .500 level teams (plus the Jets). The Titans next Sunday will be a good test, plus they have the Bills twice.

They're in good shape (especially since the other games aren't against great teams), but I don't want to get ahead of myself on them too much.
Name that AFC Team that hasn't had a similar schedule over the last month? The whole conference hovers around .500.
Wait, are you saying that I'm being too pessimistic about the prospects of a Boston sports team?
Black Lives Matter.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Jeff V wrote: Sun Nov 21, 2021 9:40 pm The biggest question at this point is whether Matt Nagy will still have a job by Xmas, or if his kids will have to suffer lumps of coal in their stockings.
NBC Sports
A Pulitzer-prize winning Chicago reporter has dropped a bomb on the Bears beat.

Mark Konkol, who previously worked for the Chicago Sun-Times, reports at Patch.com that the Bears have informed coach Matt Nagy that he’ll be fired after Thursday’s game at Detroit.
It's almost as if people are the problem.
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

Isgrimnur wrote: Tue Nov 23, 2021 1:20 pm
Jeff V wrote: Sun Nov 21, 2021 9:40 pm The biggest question at this point is whether Matt Nagy will still have a job by Xmas, or if his kids will have to suffer lumps of coal in their stockings.
NBC Sports
A Pulitzer-prize winning Chicago reporter has dropped a bomb on the Bears beat.

Mark Konkol, who previously worked for the Chicago Sun-Times, reports at Patch.com that the Bears have informed coach Matt Nagy that he’ll be fired after Thursday’s game at Detroit.

It was later reported that Lions head coach, Dan Campbell, is preparing how to incorporate the Nagy firing into his upcoming post game reaction to the Lions defeat against backup quarterback Andy Dalton on Thanksgiving Day, using the firing as a reason to demonstrate the perseverance in his team.
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

Why in the world would they tell him he was being fired after the game? If they've made up their mind to fire the coach regardless, do it now and get it over with! Or are they hoping he will resign before then, thus denying him a chance to claim unemployment (yeah, the Bears are that cheap where that could be a thing).

That makes no sense at all. Sounds like they're bent on ruining my Turkey Day dinner while the bird is still in the oven.
Black Lives Matter
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

He's refuted it, so someone's wrong or lying.
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

Zaxxon wrote: Tue Nov 23, 2021 5:41 pm He's refuted it, so someone's wrong or lying.
I could see them telling him he's history if he doesn't beat the Lions, but then again, is there a coach in the league that could maintain control of his team after such humiliation?
Black Lives Matter
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

The end of this Bears-Lions game is just clown shoes all the way around. Both of these teams are SO bad.
When darkness veils the world, four Warriors of Light shall come.
naednek

Post by naednek »

Skinypupy wrote:The end of this Bears-Lions game is just clown shoes all the way around. Both of these teams are SO bad.
Back to back timeouts lol

Sent from my Pixel 6 Pro using Tapatalk

hepcat - "I agree with Naednek"
naednek

Post by naednek »

Next game is going to be rough. #1 hated NFL te (raiders) vs #2 hated NFL team (cowboys). I'm rooting for the refs

Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

naednek wrote: Thu Nov 25, 2021 4:40 pm Next game is going to be rough. #1 hated NFL te (raiders) vs #2 hated NFL team (cowboys). I'm rooting for the refs
I’ll save you some time…the Raiders will get crushed. :lol:
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

naednek wrote: Thu Nov 25, 2021 4:40 pm Next game is going to be rough. #1 hated NFL te (raiders) vs #2 hated NFL team (cowboys). I'm rooting for the refs

+1 At least somebody has to lose. I suppose a Raider loss is slightly better for the Chargers.
Jaymann
]==(:::::::::::::>
Black Lives Matter
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

That was peak Lions losing in Lions fashion and peak Bears winning as unconvincingly as possible.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

NFL
Bears owner George McCaskey met with Nagy and Bears players this week to tell them the article was wrong and there was nothing to it, delivering a message to stay focused on the task at hand, according to Rapoport.
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

Skinypupy wrote: Thu Nov 25, 2021 4:43 pm
I’ll save you some time…the Raiders will get crushed. :lol:
Or not.

The NFL is so weird this year.
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

Cowboys do not look like a threat in the playoffs.
Jaymann
Black Lives Matter
Ralph-Wiggum

Post by Ralph-Wiggum »

Well, considering that they didn’t have their top two WRs yesterday, I think they showed out pretty well. Well, at least on offense. But they have definitely not been playing as well the last few weeks as they did earlier in the season.
Black Lives Matter
Hrdina

Post by Hrdina »

Apparently you're the only person who picked the correct team for this game. :D

Also, I don't know what universe you live in, but the cowboys are and always will be the #1 hated NFL team.
Conform or be cast out!
naednek

Post by naednek »

Hrdina wrote: Fri Nov 26, 2021 6:18 pm

Also, I don't know what universe you live in, but the cowboys are and always will be the #1 hated NFL team.
it's a bay area thing, and most of their fan base (no offense Skinnypuppy :P )
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

naednek wrote: Fri Nov 26, 2021 11:38 pm It's a bay area thing, and most of their fan base (no offense Skinnypuppy :P )
I'm not even enough of a fan to be counted, tbh. My Raiders fandom is simply because dad was a fan, so I was therefore a fan growing up. Changing teams would just be too weird at this point.

While I always enjoy watching the games, I have pretty much zero vested interest in the Raiders at all. If they win? Slight yay, I guess. If they don't? Meh.

100% of my fan energy goes to Utah football, so I guarantee I'll never be the guy in the Darth Vader mask shouting profanities at Niner fans. :)
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

I dunno, haven't the Patriots passed the Cowboys at least for the moment?
Black Lives Matter.
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

Brady and the Bucs are looking decidedly pedestrian at the Colts. Who in their wildest dreams thought Belichik could have a better record than Brady after week 12?
Jaymann
Black Lives Matter
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

El Guapo wrote: Sat Nov 27, 2021 11:24 am

Gentlemen, gentlemen, can't we be civil and agree to just hate them all? Why does one have to be more worthy of our scorn than another?
Black Lives Matter
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

Jeff V wrote: Sun Nov 28, 2021 8:57 pm
El Guapo wrote: Sat Nov 27, 2021 11:24 am

Gentlemen, gentlemen, can't we be civil and agree to just hate them all? Why does one have to be more worthy of our scorn than another?
Two words: Immaculate Deception
Jaymann
Black Lives Matter
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

The Seahawks just ran back a blocked extra point and scored 2 points. So I guess there is no way to score a single point?
Jaymann
Black Lives Matter
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Not impossible. Just highly unlikely.
Part of the reason for this is that it can only happen when an offensive team is either attempting an extra point or a 2-point conversion after scoring a touchdown.

There are three ways that a 1-point safety can occur.

1. The offensive team attempting the conversion somehow gets tackled in their own end zone
2. The offense fumbles the ball forward into the opponent's end zone

Then a defender would need to be called for an infraction for illegally knocking the ball out of bounds.

If he does this, he would be called for a safety, and the offense would be awarded 1 point.

3. The offense fumbles the football during its conversion attempt

Then a defender would need to cleanly recover the football and attempt to advance the ball.

While trying to advance the ball, if he goes backward and is tackled in his own end zone, then a safety would be called.

Because this happened during a conversion attempt, the offense would be awarded 1 point instead of the traditional 2 points a safety normally gets.
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

Jaymann wrote: Mon Nov 29, 2021 10:33 pm The Seahawks just ran back a blocked extra point and scored 2 points. So I guess there is no way to score a single point?
The one point is on a safety, not a run back.
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

And BAMmed.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

:dance:
pr0ner

Post by pr0ner »

Somehow the 5-6 WFT are in a playoff position.

Edited to get their record correct.
Last edited by pr0ner on Tue Nov 30, 2021 9:27 am, edited 1 time in total.
Hodor.
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

Keeping the dream alive of a 7-10 team making the playoffs.
Jaymann
Black Lives Matter
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Isgrimnur wrote: Tue Feb 11, 2020 10:01 am SB Nation, worst NFL Playoff Teams.
2010 Seattle Seahawks, 7-9
2014 Carolina Panthers, 7-8-1
2020 Washington Fooball Team (7-9)

With the move to a 17-game season, we have reset the clock!
RunningMn9

Post by RunningMn9 »

El Guapo wrote: Mon Nov 22, 2021 8:45 pmWait, are you saying that I'm being too pessimistic about the prospects of a Boston sports team?
Well, it's time to find some things out. I've watched the last couple of Patriots games and came away feeling the same way about them that I felt about the Bills through the Chiefs game earlier. I really don't know what to make of them. At the time they played them, the Patriots last four opponents have been complete and utter trash. The Pats don't get to choose who or when to play teams though, and did their part in beating them into the center of the earth.

The numbers all look great, but I really don't know if I can trust them. Meanwhile, the Bills continue their Jekyll and Hyde impression alternating between crushing teams and getting pants in the school yard.

Which Bills team will show up next Monday night? Mercifully, it will be one that doesn't feature Cody Ford in the starting lineup. With Spencer Brown back at RT, that will shift Williams back to RG, which will shift a hopefully health Feliciano back to LG. I do not understand how a rookie RT being out causes a 60% change to your offensive line, when it's been a disaster every time you've done it, but here we are.

Star Lotulelei is back as well, which hopefully helps bolster the run defense again. I don't know how Star and Brown are doing after spending two weeks on the COVID list though, so maybe it's a false hope. I *think* the only starter we will be down for this game is Tre White, which sucks, but you lose people.

I think the Bills season has come down to this game. Being embarrassed by the Jags and Colts has taken away any margin for error. You go down a game and a half to the Pats, with 5 conference losses, and then you have to travel to Tampa Bay the week after? Your playoff hopes are likely over.

Pats on the other hand, can survive this loss. Their conference record is stellar which gives them a lot more flexibility in tie-breaking scenarios in a crowded field.

These are the top 2 scoring defenses in the NFL, so shootout, right?
And in banks across the world
Christians, Moslems, Hindus, Jews
And every other race, creed, colour, tint or hue
Get down on their knees and pray
The raccoon and the groundhog neatly
Make up bags of change
But the monkey in the corner
Well he's slowly drifting out of range
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

RunningMn9 wrote: Tue Nov 30, 2021 6:32 pm
El Guapo wrote: Mon Nov 22, 2021 8:45 pmWait, are you saying that I'm being too pessimistic about the prospects of a Boston sports team?
Well, it's time to find some things out. I've watched the last couple of Patriots games and came away feeling the same way about them that I felt about the Bills through the Chiefs game earlier. I really don't know what to make of them. At the time they played them, the Patriots last four opponents have been complete and utter trash. The Pats don't get to choose who or when to play teams though, and did their part in beating them into the center of the earth.

The numbers all look great, but I really don't know if I can trust them. Meanwhile, the Bills continue their Jekyll and Hyde impression alternating between crushing teams and getting pants in the school yard.

Which Bills team will show up next Monday night? Mercifully, it will be one that doesn't feature Cody Ford in the starting lineup. With Spencer Brown back at RT, that will shift Williams back to RG, which will shift a hopefully health Feliciano back to LG. I do not understand how a rookie RT being out causes a 60% change to your offensive line, when it's been a disaster every time you've done it, but here we are.

Star Lotulelei is back as well, which hopefully helps bolster the run defense again. I don't know how Star and Brown are doing after spending two weeks on the COVID list though, so maybe it's a false hope. I *think* the only starter we will be down for this game is Tre White, which sucks, but you lose people.

I think the Bills season has come down to this game. Being embarrassed by the Jags and Colts has taken away any margin for error. You go down a game and a half to the Pats, with 5 conference losses, and then you have to travel to Tampa Bay the week after? Your playoff hopes are likely over.

Pats on the other hand, can survive this loss. Their conference record is stellar which gives them a lot more flexibility in tie-breaking scenarios in a crowded field.

These are the top 2 scoring defenses in the NFL, so shootout, right?
FWIW stessier is usually an uber-pessimist when it comes to any Boston teams, so I was amused that he seemed to be saying that I was being too bearish on the Patriots. :)

I will also say that while the Titans are definitely struggling, beating them by 23 has lessened by skepticism somewhat.

Also, are the Bills bad at run defense? A couple pieces have read have said that the Patriots are a tough matchup for the Bills because they're using a power running offense this season, which apparently the Bills are bad at defending.
Black Lives Matter.
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

Amazing how the Bills have plummeted from Super Bowl favs to scratching for a wildcard berth.
Jaymann
Black Lives Matter
RunningMn9

Post by RunningMn9 »

El Guapo wrote:Also, are the Bills bad at run defense? A couple pieces have read have said that the Patriots are a tough matchup for the Bills because they're using a power running offense this season, which apparently the Bills are bad at defending.
The Bills defense has been outstanding at everything this year. They are #1 overall, #2 against the pass, #6 against the run, #2 in points allowed.

They did have the #2 rushing defense until they played the Colts. That game was interesting because the Colts game plan was perfection against us for about 3 quarters. They were using multiple, very deceptive trap blocks that were using the Bills strength against them. They figured out how to adjust but it was too late.

We were also missing our two best run stoppers for that game (Star and Edmunds). So I’m not real sure.

I hope the defense is as good as it’s looked the rest of the year. :)

The only other blemish for this defense was the Titans game, but I’m pretty sure that we are the only defense that had to play against a healthy Henry, Brown and Jones - which is a goddamn nightmare to deal with. :)
Make up bags of change
RunningMn9

Post by RunningMn9 »

Two more things. McDermott is really hammering home the reality that the Patriots are the first place team here. He really wants his team to know the position they’ve put themselves in.

But most importantly - is this the first real game between these two franchises in two decades? Before last year, we were garbage. Last year, the Pats weren’t garbage, but the Bills were clearly a better team.

This game really does feel like a coin toss, and it feels like it could be the start of some real inter-franchise angst.
Make up bags of change
stessier

Post by stessier »

Wikipedia suggests the 1st game in 2019 was pretty interesting with both teams undefeated and a defensive struggle being the result.
I require a reminder as to why raining arcane destruction is not an appropriate response to all of life's indignities. - Vaarsuvius
Running____2014: 1300.55 miles____2015: 2036.13 miles____2016: 1012.75 miles____2017: 1105.82 miles____2018: 1318.91 miles__2019: 2000.00 miles
RunningMn9

Post by RunningMn9 »

stessier wrote:Wikipedia suggests the 1st game in 2019 was pretty interesting with both teams undefeated and a defensive struggle being the result.
I thought about that, and that game was really important to Bills fans. I don’t know that the Pats or Pats fans looked at that game in the same way. We were still searching to find out if we measured up. The Pats had beat us like 87 games in a row, so I think they felt they measured up just fine.

Even if Pats fans are confident going into this game that your defense and running game are for real (and not a product of the weak stretch of your schedule), this still seems like a game for you guys to get a good answer for where you are really at, no?

Beating a mostly healthy Bills on the road, on Monday Night, that feels like a bigger accomplishment than playing the Titans practice squad, right?

And for us, we need to prove we can beat a good team this year. So far, we haven’t.
Make up bags of change
stessier

Post by stessier »

RunningMn9 wrote: Wed Dec 01, 2021 2:38 pm
stessier wrote:Wikipedia suggests the 1st game in 2019 was pretty interesting with both teams undefeated and a defensive struggle being the result.
I thought about that, and that game was really important to Bills fans. I don’t know that the Pats or Pats fans looked at that game in the same way. We were still searching to find out if we measured up. The Pats had beat us like 87 games in a row, so I think they felt they measured up just fine.

Even if Pats fans are confident going into this game that your defense and running game are for real (and not a product of the weak stretch of your schedule), this still seems like a game for you guys to get a good answer for where you are really at, no?

Beating a mostly healthy Bills on the road, on Monday Night, that feels like a bigger accomplishment than playing the Titans practice squad, right?

And for us, we need to prove we can beat a good team this year. So far, we haven’t.
Kind of hard to say for both teams, no? The Bills manage to have a weaker SOS than the Pats, so far.

Honestly, I don't see any one game as a measuring stick. It's all about seeding for the playoffs and then rolling the dice and hoping for the best. I think the Pats have a decent chance as I continue to trust in the coaches. If they lose, not the end of the world as long as they win in Foxboro.