NFL 2021 Postseason

Everything else!

Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

El Guapo

Re: NFL 2021 Season

Post by El Guapo »

LordMortis wrote: Thu Dec 16, 2021 10:50 am
El Guapo wrote: Thu Dec 16, 2021 10:16 am
Skinypupy wrote: Thu Dec 16, 2021 9:51 am All the high profile college jobs have been filled. I'm guessing he lays low for 2-3 years before we see him jump into the college ranks somewhere.

I'm always grateful for Urban putting Utah on the college football map, and am even more grateful that he left when he did. I've heard lots of stories from the players while he was here...dude's got issues.
Oh yeah. It's in his best interests to wait a bit before taking his next job anyway, both so that the right opportunity opens up and so that people forget a bit about all his BS. Might make sense to take a few months off and then look for an analyst / commentator gig for a year or so.
Has he ever left with this must losing, exposure, and negative feedback internally though? This might be an end for him in any high profile job and he might not want to a not so high profile job if has enough bank in his pockets.
He's far from the first college coach to implode at the pro level. He'll be fine.
Black Lives Matter.
stessier

Post by stessier »

El Guapo wrote: Thu Dec 16, 2021 12:13 pm
Skinypupy wrote: Thu Dec 16, 2021 9:51 am All the high profile college jobs have been filled. I'm guessing he lays low for 2-3 years before we see him jump into the college ranks somewhere.

I'm always grateful for Urban putting Utah on the college football map, and am even more grateful that he left when he did. I've heard lots of stories from the players while he was here...dude's got issues.
Oh yeah. It's in his best interests to wait a bit before taking his next job anyway, both so that the right opportunity opens up and so that people forget a bit about all his BS. Might make sense to take a few months off and then look for an analyst / commentator gig for a year or so.
Has he ever left with this must losing, exposure, and negative feedback internally though? This might be an end for him in any high profile job and he might not want to a not so high profile job if has enough bank in his pockets.
He's far from the first college coach to implode at the pro level. He'll be fine.
I've never seen one implode this way. Usually they just lose a lot. Kicking players, being horrible toward assistants, moral issues...it's kind of an impressive list given it was less than a year.
I require a reminder as to why raining arcane destruction is not an appropriate response to all of life's indignities. - Vaarsuvius
Global Steam Wishmaslist Tracking
Running____2014: 1300.55 miles____2015: 2036.13 miles____2016: 1012.75 miles____2017: 1105.82 miles____2018: 1318.91 miles__2019: 2000.00 miles
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

stessier wrote: Thu Dec 16, 2021 12:21 pm

I've never seen one implode this way. Usually they just lose a lot. Kicking players, being horrible toward assistants, moral issues...it's kind of an impressive list given it was less than a year.
I mean, for sure being such an impressive combination of an asshole and a failure that you can't last a year with the Jacksonville Jaguars is...definitely not good for him, there's no way around that.

But like, have you met Greg Schiano or Bobby Knight? Unless there's some criminal / #MeToo stuff lurking here as well, he'll land on his feet. Assuming that he wants to coach again at the college level, the only question is whether it'll be at a Tier 1 program level, or whether it'll have to be like a Tier 1A that's trying to compete with the big boys.
Black Lives Matter.
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

Urban has always been horrible, but that was all glossed over because he was winning at every level.

I've talked with multiple players who played for him at Utah. While every one has said what a great coach he was, I have yet to hear anyone say he was actually a great person. Usually quite the opposite.
When darkness veils the world, four Warriors of Light shall come.
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

Skinypupy wrote: Thu Dec 16, 2021 12:31 pm

Urban has always been horrible, but that was all glossed over because he was winning at every level.

I've talked with multiple players who played for him at Utah. While every one has said what a great coach he was, I have yet to hear anyone say he was actually a great person. Usually quite the opposite.
Yup. But he's a proven winner at the college level, and there's not much indication that spending a year bombing at the pro level (even if it was unusually spectacular) will change that assessment of his college coaching ability.
Black Lives Matter.
Pyperkub

Post by Pyperkub »

Skinypupy wrote: Thu Dec 16, 2021 5:03 am
Hrothgar wrote: Thu Dec 16, 2021 2:38 am Urban Meyer fired after 13 games.

Allegedly kicking his kicker was the last straw. Darrell Bevell will be the interim head coach.
Least shocking news ever. I never expected he would make a good NFL coach, especially with a rebuilding franchise. His entire MO in college was to come into places that were already loaded with talent and nudge them over the top.

I’m only surprised it didn’t happen while either the USC or ND jobs were open.
Was Utah loaded when he came in?
Black Lives definitely Matter Lorini!

Also: There are three ways to not tell the truth: lies, damned lies, and statistics.
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

I'm glad I'm not an Urban Meyer weener.

In other news the Chargers face the Chiefs for AFC West bragging rights. I checked and the Chargers have beaten the Chiefs in 2 straight and 3 of the last 6 (though admittedly some of those were garbage time for the Chiefs). This is the big one.
Jaymann
]==(:::::::::::::>
Black Lives Matter
ImLawBoy
Forum Admin

Post by ImLawBoy »

Urban Meyer's personal failings are nothing new and have been public, particularly in the college football community, for years. He left both Florida and OSU under clouds. I imagine he'll be back in the college world after after a year or two where he can "find himself" or something equally silly. That type of tyrant is much more accepted/encouraged at the college level than in the NFL, I think.
That's my purse! I don't know you!
Lassr

Post by Lassr »

ImLawBoy wrote: Thu Dec 16, 2021 1:07 pm Urban Meyer's personal failings are nothing new and have been public, particularly in the college football community, for years. He left both Florida and OSU under clouds. I imagine he'll be back in the college world after after a year or two where he can "find himself" or something equally silly. That type of tyrant is much more accepted/encouraged at the college level than in the NFL, I think.
at this point I would think...hope, parents would not let their sons sign with him. At the most heavily encourage their sons not to sign. I can't imagine a college president trying to win over the boosters/fans about signing him as their coach at this point. He's had too many strikes. I could be wrong but hope I'm not, he doesn't deserve another chance, he's always been a deceitful slimeball, it's just even more public now.
The only reason people get lost in thought is because it's unfamiliar territory.

Black Lives Matter
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

Pyperkub wrote: Thu Dec 16, 2021 1:01 pm
Skinypupy wrote: Thu Dec 16, 2021 5:03 am
Hrothgar wrote: Thu Dec 16, 2021 2:38 am Urban Meyer fired after 13 games.

Allegedly kicking his kicker was the last straw. Darrell Bevell will be the interim head coach.
Least shocking news ever. I never expected he would make a good NFL coach, especially with a rebuilding franchise. His entire MO in college was to come into places that were already loaded with talent and nudge them over the top.

I’m only surprised it didn’t happen while either the USC or ND jobs were open.
Was Utah loaded when he came in?
As loaded as an old Mountain West team could be, yeah. He inherited Alex Smith and a nasty defense, which is a pretty good way to start. In 2004 (his undefeated year), the closest game that year was a 17-point win at Arizona, which was a pretty big deal at the time.

Urban was here two years, took Utah to the Fiesta Bowl as the first ever "BCS Buster", then bolted for Florida.
stessier

Post by stessier »

The Browns are in bad shape with the latest COVID outbreak.

I wonder if the new rule change is going to let them field a real team.
I require a reminder as to why raining arcane destruction is not an appropriate response to all of life's indignities. - Vaarsuvius
Running____2014: 1300.55 miles____2015: 2036.13 miles____2016: 1012.75 miles____2017: 1105.82 miles____2018: 1318.91 miles__2019: 2000.00 miles
stessier

Post by stessier »

3 games have been postponed:

Las Vegas Raiders-Cleveland Browns NFL game moved to Monday
Tuesday for Los Angeles Rams-Seattle Seahawks, Washington Football Team-Philadelphia Eagles
Hrothgar

Post by Hrothgar »

John McClain thinks Urban Meyer's firing might inspire the Jags to beat the Texans. Of course, he had already predicted the Texans too lose out the rest of the season. Take it as you will.
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

Hrothgar wrote: Fri Dec 17, 2021 11:58 pm John McClain thinks Urban Meyer's firing might inspire the Jags to beat the Texans. Of course, he had already predicted the Texans too lose out the rest of the season. Take it as you will.
What does a detective know about football?
Jaymann
Black Lives Matter
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Isgrimnur wrote: Tue Jan 02, 2018 10:17 am Sporting News
The Bills appear to be the biggest Andy Dalton fan outside of Cincinnati.
Bills fans were so enthused that they began flooding Dalton's foundation, the Andy & Jordan Dalton Foundation, with donations.
Buffalo
More than 17,000 donors, in a display of grassroots generosity that snowballed on social media, combined to raise $442,000 for the Andy and Jordan Dalton Foundation, a nonprofit founded by the football player and his wife to benefit seriously ill and physically challenged children and their families.

A monthslong investigation by The Buffalo News found that nearly a quarter of the money – about $100,000 – went to the company that managed the nonprofit, a far larger share than is customary, according to industry experts.
As The News raised questions, the Dalton Foundation ended its relationship with Prolanthropy and Jordan Dalton said it will donate all money directly to hospitals "so 100% of proceeds go to families in need."
Prolanthropy charged the Dalton Foundation 22.5% of all revenue received by the nonprofit for its various services, according to the contract.

"I draft these agreements for a living," said Morton, a partner at Handler Thayer LLP in Chicago and chair of the firm's sports and entertainment law group. "They are 5% to 10% most of the time, and I won't do one that's over 20%. That's the absolute outer bound."

Prolanthropy also takes 20% of the value of noncash donations, a rarity in the nonprofit sector, industry experts said.
It's almost as if people are the problem.
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

So the Browns-Raiders game is going to be a better option than the originally scheduled Bears-Vikings game on Monday....
Black Lives Matter
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

Another any given Sunday. The Saints demonstrated how to beat Brady, without even a real quarterback.
Jaymann
Black Lives Matter
Ralph-Wiggum

Post by Ralph-Wiggum »

Jaymann wrote: Mon Dec 20, 2021 3:33 am Another any given Sunday. The Saints demonstrated how to beat Brady, without even a real quarterback.
By injuring the Bucs' top 2 WRs and top RB?
Black Lives Matter
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Ralph-Wiggum wrote: Mon Dec 20, 2021 10:27 am
Jaymann wrote: Mon Dec 20, 2021 3:33 am Another any given Sunday. The Saints demonstrated how to beat Brady, without even a real quarterback.
It was the Saints...
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

Ralph-Wiggum wrote: Mon Dec 20, 2021 10:27 am
I was thinking the third down sacks, but...
Jaymann
Black Lives Matter
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

Huh, fun fact, the Bears are apparently the only team who has yet to have a TD drive of less than 50 yards. When given a gift, they seem to refuse it. And this is why Nagy will soon join me on the unemployment line.
Black Lives Matter
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

Amazing that as of this morning the Ravens are out of the playoffs. The Bengals lead their division and the Bills are clinging to the final spot.
Jaymann
Black Lives Matter
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Bills have two division games to play. They still have a shot at the division title.
RunningMn9

Post by RunningMn9 »

Isgrimnur wrote: Tue Dec 21, 2021 2:35 pm Bills have two division games to play. They still have a shot at the division title.
They control their own destiny.
And in banks across the world
Christians, Moslems, Hindus, Jews
And every other race, creed, colour, tint or hue
Get down on their knees and pray
The raccoon and the groundhog neatly
Make up bags of change
But the monkey in the corner
Well he's slowly drifting out of range
stessier

Post by stessier »

RunningMn9 wrote: Wed Dec 22, 2021 12:34 am
Isgrimnur wrote: Tue Dec 21, 2021 2:35 pm Bills have two division games to play. They still have a shot at the division title.
They control their own destiny.
So do the Pats. After this weekend, only the winner controls their destiny. No pressure.
RunningMn9

Post by RunningMn9 »

stessier wrote:So do the Pats. After this weekend, only the winner controls their destiny. No pressure.
Not if we control ours first!! :)

I am not filled with confidence heading into this weekend. It doesn’t help that my fantasy football championship hopes ride on the game as well.
Make up bags of change
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

Crap, 49ers at Titans is on NFL Network only, no Fox or Prime. I wanted to watch but will have to settle for highlights. All I need do is not check the score first.
Jaymann
Black Lives Matter
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

There are ... ways.
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

Isgrimnur wrote: Thu Dec 23, 2021 3:05 pm There are ... ways.
Enlarge Image
Black Lives Matter.
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

It worked. I got to watch the full highlights without knowing the outcome, and it was a great game. Definitely a tale of two halves.
Jaymann
Black Lives Matter
Pyperkub

Post by Pyperkub »

Jaymann wrote:It worked. I got to watch the full highlights without knowing the outcome, and it was a great game. Definitely a tale of two halves.
And the Niners defense. Their last two losses have been 100% on the failure to double cover a single receiver - Metcalf (once Lockett went down) and Brown. DeMeco Ryans is doing pretty well in his first year, but this flaw is glaring. They could easily be 10-5 on a seven game win streak.

Also: There are three ways to not tell the truth: lies, damned lies, and statistics.
naednek

Post by naednek »

Pyperkub wrote:
Jaymann wrote:It worked. I got to watch the full highlights without knowing the outcome, and it was a great game. Definitely a tale of two halves.
And the Niners defense. Their last two losses have been 100% on the failure to double cover a single receiver - Metcalf (once Lockett went down) and Brown. DeMeco Ryans is doing pretty well in his first year, but this flaw is glaring. They could easily be 10-5 on a seven game win streak.
I keep saying should have gone for CBs instead of a shiny toy

Sent from my Pixel 6 Pro using Tapatalk

hepcat - "I agree with Naednek"
Pyperkub

Post by Pyperkub »

naednek wrote:
Pyperkub wrote:

They all have been injured.

Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

Stupid Prime Video shows the game that's on Fox but not the one only on NFL Network. Oh well, avoid scoreboard and watch highlights.
Jaymann
Black Lives Matter
naednek

Post by naednek »

Pyperkub wrote: Fri Dec 24, 2021 7:18 pm
naednek wrote:
Pyperkub wrote:

They all have been injured.
yes, and the starters we had in the beginning of the season was nothing to be excited about and had gaping holes.
hepcat - "I agree with Naednek"
Pyperkub

Post by Pyperkub »

Eh, Verrett showed last year he is extremely talented, just injury prone.

stessier

Post by stessier »

The refs on the Pats/Bills game would be wise not to eat anything in MA after the game.
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

stessier wrote: Sun Dec 26, 2021 4:42 pm The refs on the Pats/Bills game would be wise not to eat anything in MA after the game.
Pats linemen should probably figure out to stop yapping after every play.
RunningMn9

Post by RunningMn9 »

stessier wrote:The refs on the Pats/Bills game would be wise not to eat anything in MA after the game.
Welcome to what the rest of the NFL has been dealing with for the last 20 years. There was nothing in that game that was especially noteworthy in terms of bad officiating. And I don’t say that as a Bills fan, I say that as a observer of chronic bad officiating.
Make up bags of change
RunningMn9

Post by RunningMn9 »

Skinypupy wrote:
stessier wrote: Sun Dec 26, 2021 4:42 pm The refs on the Pats/Bills game would be wise not to eat anything in MA after the game.
Pats linemen should probably figure out to stop yapping after every play.
Those two calls probably drew the most ire. The flag on Hughes was weak sauce anyway, I’m surprised but not shocked that they picked that one up.

And I *hate* the taunting rule. But it’s Week 16 and every player knows about the taunting rule by now. You probably shouldn’t do it while a ref is staring at you.

Also, if you are going to complain about the Hughes call-then-non-call, then we are going to have to talk about Judon and that dirty as shit trip incident early in the game. :)
Make up bags of change