[America] Domestic violent extremism

For discussion of religion and politics

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, $iljanus

Alefroth

Re: [America] Domestic violent extremism

Post by Alefroth »

disarm wrote: Tue May 17, 2022 6:53 pm I have a somewhat distant relative who fell victim to a random act of gun violence yesterday. He was 24yo and one of the nicest people you could meet; worked with the local volunteer fire department, EMS, and his dad has been a deputy with the local sheriff's department for more than 20 years...but that all ended in an instant last night.

The story is a little unclear, but it sounds like he saw a stopped car at the side of the road and pulled over (with one of his friends also in the truck) to offer assistance at the same time police were arriving in response to a 'stranded motorist' call. When they all got out of their cars, someone started shooting and two people are now dead...my distant cousin and the driver of the stopped car. At this point, they're not even sure who started shooting. Crazy story...

https://www.wlky.com/article/2-killed-o ... a/40015856
That's awful and so senseless. Do they think domestic extremism was involved?
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

disarm wrote: Tue May 17, 2022 6:53 pm I have a somewhat distant relative who fell victim to a random act of gun violence yesterday. He was 24yo and one of the nicest people you could meet; worked with the local volunteer fire department, EMS, and his dad has been a deputy with the local sheriff's department for more than 20 years...but that all ended in an instant last night.

The story is a little unclear, but it sounds like he saw a stopped car at the side of the road and pulled over (with one of his friends also in the truck) to offer assistance at the same time police were arriving in response to a 'stranded motorist' call. When they all got out of their cars, someone started shooting and two people are now dead...my distant cousin and the driver of the stopped car. At this point, they're not even sure who started shooting. Crazy story...

:cry:
Little Raven

Post by Little Raven »

Zarathud wrote: Tue May 17, 2022 7:47 pm If you can’t stop them, you defang them to limit the damage.
New York is way ahead of you. They have a Red Flag law designed for that very purpose. And Mr. Gendron tripped it.
The massacre at Tops Friendly Market in Buffalo on Saturday should have been thwarted by New York’s red flag law, which aims to stop people from buying or possessing firearms when they show they’re threats to themselves or others, gun policy experts said.

“It was designed exactly for this circumstance,” said David Pucino, the deputy chief counsel at Giffords Law Center, a gun-safety group.

Hochul said a teacher had asked Gendron about his plans just before the start of summer vacation last year. He responded, “I want to murder and commit suicide,” Hochul said.

School officials immediately alerted police, Hochul said. Gendron underwent a psychiatric evaluation and was released, Hochul said, adding that there was “not a specific threat” or “something that seemed to be actionable.”

“There was nothing that flagged that he wouldn’t be able to — from that encounter, at the time — be able to go into a store and purchase a gun,” she said. “Now, we need to question that, as well. There’s a lot of layers here that we need to get to the bottom of and find out if changes need to be made.”
Gendron wrote that he spent 10 hours waiting for a 15-minute session with an overworked social worker, where he lied his ass off and got everything written off as an attempt to get out of class. I'm not a social worker, but I am the parents of teenagers, and teenagers constantly say stupid stuff that they don't really mean, so I'm somewhat sympathetic to the social worker here.

Which brings us back to blanket bans, but then we run into the Hamilton Problem.

I know a lot of gun owners. I don't know any that plan on changing their voting habits based on last weekend. (I'm assuming that lawbeef is already a blue voter - if not, I guess I know one.)
/. "She climbed backwards out her
\/ window into Outside Over There."
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

< Blue-voting firearm owner.

But I’m in Texas, so…
It's almost as if people are the problem.
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

Little Raven wrote: Tue May 17, 2022 8:39 pm

I know a lot of gun owners. I don't know any that plan on changing their voting habits based on last weekend. (I'm assuming that lawbeef is already a blue voter - if not, I guess I know one.)
I don't vote by party but since most of the races here are blue only, I'm probably considered blue on balance.

I want to say in our last mayoral race, 13 of the 14 candidates were blue. Even the former police chief superintendent who presided over the Laquan McDonald fiasco and ran on a law-and-order platform ran as a Democrat.
" Hey OP, listen to my advice alright." -Tha General
"No scientific discovery is named after its original discoverer." -Stigler's Law of Eponymy, discovered by Robert K. Merton

MYT
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

Sorry to hear that, sad story and lots of questions. Sounds like they will be releasing more information towards the end of the week.
"No scientific discovery is named after its original discoverer." -Stigler's Law of Eponymy, discovered by Robert K. Merton

MYT
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

https://abc7chicago.com/ghost-gun-jb-pr ... /11864007/

CHICAGO (WLS) -- Gov. JB Pritzker will sign a law to make ghost guns illegal Wednesday.

Illinois is poised to become the first state in the Midwest to ban ghost guns, as lawmakers are under pressure to curb violent crime.
This will NOT deter violent crime the likes of which we see in Chicago on a daily basis. For that goal this is just political more grandstanding. However, it may very well prevent some prohibited persons from assembling an arsenal (or even just a single firearm). To that end, which is very relevant to this thread, I have no issues with this law. I just wish they'd be more honest about it.

Most people think "ghost guns" just means illegal guns. It doesn't.

MYT
Little Raven

Post by Little Raven »

3 go down in Michigan.
Three members of a militant white supremacist group were the first in Michigan to be convicted of conspiring to train with firearms for a civil war, state Attorney General Dana Nessel announced Tuesday.

The men belong to The Base, a pro-Hitler movement that advocates a race war against non-white people with the goal of using violence “to overthrow the existing social and political order,” according to the Anti-Defamation League.

Justen Watkins, Thomas Denton, and Tristan Webb were charged in August 2021 with larceny in a building, gang membership, felony possession of a firearm, and conspiracy to train with firearms for a civil war. They were accused of breaking into the vacant Michigan Department of Corrections Camp Tuscola annex and Tuscola Residential ReEntry Program in Caro in October 2020 and stealing state-issued clothing from one of the jails.

Prosecutors allege they were scoping the site as potential training grounds for “hate camps,” which is the name the group gave its paramilitary firearms training exercises.
When did Michigan become hate group central?
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

Little Raven wrote: Wed May 18, 2022 10:25 am 3 go down in Michigan.
Three members of a militant white supremacist group were the first in Michigan to be convicted of conspiring to train with firearms for a civil war, state Attorney General Dana Nessel announced Tuesday.

The men belong to The Base, a pro-Hitler movement that advocates a race war against non-white people with the goal of using violence “to overthrow the existing social and political order,” according to the Anti-Defamation League.

Justen Watkins, Thomas Denton, and Tristan Webb were charged in August 2021 with larceny in a building, gang membership, felony possession of a firearm, and conspiracy to train with firearms for a civil war. They were accused of breaking into the vacant Michigan Department of Corrections Camp Tuscola annex and Tuscola Residential ReEntry Program in Caro in October 2020 and stealing state-issued clothing from one of the jails.

Prosecutors allege they were scoping the site as potential training grounds for “hate camps,” which is the name the group gave its paramilitary firearms training exercises.
For the most part Michiganders just want to be left alone.
But there have always been pockets. Growing up we were always warned about Howell, MI.

MYT
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

LawBeefaroni wrote: Wed May 18, 2022 10:30 am Howell, MI
disarm

Post by disarm »

Alefroth wrote:

That's awful and so senseless. Do they think domestic extremism was involved?
They're really not saying much more at the moment, so no real story about what happened. There's a rumor floating that the stopped driver may have been completely tripped out on drugs, but it's only a rumor so far. The story is so incomplete and seemingly senseless that nothing would surprise me. Having grown up in that area and knowing the kind of people that work as police there, I wouldn't be surprised if a minimally-trained small-town rural cop got scared and made a big mistake that resulted in two people dead. Hopefully, they'll have some answers soon...
malchior

Post by malchior »

Little Raven wrote: Wed May 18, 2022 10:25 amThe men belong to The Base, a pro-Hitler movement that advocates a race war against non-white people with the goal of using violence “to overthrow the existing social and political order,” according to the Anti-Defamation League.
Backgrounders on 'The Base' if anyone is so interested. They are bad news.

The Base is a well-organized neo-Nazi organization that is perhaps being supported by the Russian state.

The Base's purported leader goes by Norman Spear but his actual name is likely Rinaldo Nazzaro and he resides/runs the organization out of Russia. At least that was as of the last time his name sprung up in the public.

How well organized? The Base smuggled a media exposed asset out of Canada named Patrik Mathews. Mathews is a Canadian who recruited for The Base. He and a co-conspirator (US-native former military member Brian Lemley Jr.) were subsequently caught by the FBI and sentenced to nine years in prison for trying to kick off a race war in the United States.

Amazingly, The Base is designated a terrorist organization by the Canada, the UK, and Australia. But not us. Perhaps because we still do not have a domestic terror category.
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

Little Raven wrote: Wed May 18, 2022 10:25 am 3 go down in Michigan.

A long time ago. :(

https://www.michiganradio.org/arts-cult ... f-michigan

https://www.lansingstatejournal.com/sto ... 797244002/

https://www.britannica.com/event/Oklahoma-City-bombing
malchior

Post by malchior »

A pretty big omission in that article is it doesn't even mention the Michigan Militia by name. It is probably one of the biggest of the 'militia movement' groups in the United States. McVeigh and Nichols went to several meetings of the Michigan militia around it's founding in the 90s. That actually prompted some efforts to moderate it in the late 90s. This did not seem to work as several members were participants in the Whitmer kidnapping plot.
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

malchior wrote: Wed May 18, 2022 11:47 am
A pretty big omission in that article is it doesn't even mention the Michigan Militia by name. It is probably one of the biggest of the 'militia movement' groups in the United States. McVeigh and Nichols went to several meetings of the Michigan militia around it's founding in the 90s. That actually prompted some efforts to moderate it in the late 90s. This did not seem to work as several members were participants in the Whitmer kidnapping plot.
More than any other event, this was my eye opening for patriot movements and critical thinking related constitutional libertarians and their rhetoric. (a good chunk of it having been my rhetoric.)
Little Raven

Post by Little Raven »

Discord and Twitch put on notice.
In the wake of the horrific shooting that took place in Buffalo on May 14, New York Attorney General Letitia James has officially launched an investigation into the role social media companies may have played in the attack on a supermarket that took the lives of 10 people and is now being investigated as a hate crime. According to the Attorney General’s press release, the investigation will look into how social media may have allowed the shooter to “discuss and amplify his intentions and acts,” focusing on “Twitch, 4chan, 8chan, and Discord.”

This comes mere days after NY Governor Katherine Hochul criticized the CEOs of these platforms for not doing enough to “assure all of us that they’re taking every step humanly possible to [monitor] this information.”

While messaging and community apps like Discord are at the center of this tragedy, the Attorney General’s investigation is also deeply concerned with video streaming platform Twitch, which was used to broadcast the attack. She described it as “bone-chilling and unfathomable” that someone could “commit such an act of hate without consequence, and then stream it for the world to see.”
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Twitch stopped the stream within two minutes. Given the number of streams that they run, that seems remarkably fast to me. I'm not sure what else they could do short of having every live stream monitored on a delay by a live human.

And blaming Discords seems like blaming the post office for the contents of letters.
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)
Holman

Post by Holman »

Little Raven wrote: Wed May 18, 2022 10:25 am When did Michigan become hate group central?
When Northern states experienced the early-20th-century Great Migration (Southern blacks moving to a Northern state's one or two urban centers), rural white areas became more aggressively racist in response. Most of the Rust Belt states followed this pattern, with the already-present political urban/rural split becoming explicitly racialized.

Michigan is full of white supremacist losers because Motown was amazing.
Much prefer my Nazis Nuremberged.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

I remember thinking, I wonder if I should start a thread on this topic? Apparently it was a good idea:
The social media posts are of a distinct type. They hint darkly that the CIA or the FBI are behind mass shootings. They traffic in racist, sexist and homophobic tropes. They revel in the prospect of a “white boy summer.”

White nationalists and supremacists, on accounts often run by young men, are building thriving, macho communities across social media platforms like Instagram, Telegram and TikTok, evading detection with coded hashtags and innuendo.

Their snarky memes and trendy videos are riling up thousands of followers on divisive issues including abortion, guns, immigration and LGBTQ rights. The Department of Homeland Security warned Tuesday that such skewed framing of the subjects could drive extremists to violently attack public places across the U.S. in the coming months.

Law enforcement agencies are already monitoring an active threat from a young Arizona man who says on his Telegram accounts that he is “leading the war” against retail giant Target for its Pride Month merchandise and children’s clothing line and has promised to “hunt LGBT supporters” at the stores. In videos posted to his Telegram and YouTube accounts, sometimes filmed at Target stores, he encourages others to go the stores as well.

Target said in a statement that it is working with local and national law enforcement agencies who are investigating the videos.
I can't help but believe this is going to continue to escalate.
Maybe next year, maybe no go
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

Smoove_B wrote: Fri Jun 10, 2022 3:01 pm
I can't help but believe this is going to continue to escalate.
There is zero reason to think otherwise. Social media has been optimized for this.

MYT
malchior

Post by malchior »

Patriot Front attack on pride parade thwarted. Members of the extreme right are already saying they were arrested for no reason.
Police in Idaho arrested 31 people who had masks, white supremacist insignia, shields and an “operations plan” to riot at a park hosting an LGBTQ Pride parade on Saturday afternoon, authorities said.

Coeur d’Alene Police Chief Lee White said authorities received a tip about a “little army” loading into a U-Haul truck at a hotel Saturday afternoon. Police from the city, county and state pulled over the truck about 10 minutes later, White said. Many were wearing logos from the Patriot Front, a white supremacist group that rebranded after one of its members plowed his car into a crowd of protesters in Charlottesville in August 2017, killing anti-racism protester Heather Heyer.

White said the people — dressed similarly in the Patriot Front’s signature khaki pants — were headed to City Park, which was hosting Pride in the Park. Organizers for the event did not immediately respond to The Washington Post’s call or email seeking comment Saturday evening.
malchior

Post by malchior »

No actual violence luckily but...wtf.

Enough

Post by Enough »

malchior wrote:No actual violence luckily but...wtf.

The news lately like this gives me a sickening feeling that we are in a very, very bad place.

Sent from my SM-G998U1 using Tapatalk

My blog (mostly photos): Fort Ephemera - My Flickr Photostream

“You only get one sunrise and one sunset a day, and you only get so many days on the planet. A good photographer does the math and doesn’t waste either.” ―Galen Rowell
Grifman

Post by Grifman »

Tolerance is the virtue of the man without convictions. – G.K. Chesterton
malchior

Post by malchior »

It's only a matter of time. Eventually we'll have an incident/massacre at one of these events. Even if we don't soon the message has been sent. I know folks in those communities and they are legitimately scared out of their minds.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

I mean, we had the Pulse nightclub shooting in FL back in 2016. Things are much, much worse now, so yeah. Seems like this would be a great time to clamp down on domestic violent extremists.
malchior

Post by malchior »

Smoove_B wrote: Mon Jun 13, 2022 8:22 pm I mean, we had the Pulse nightclub shooting in FL back in 2016. Things are much, much worse now, so yeah. Seems like this would be a great time to clamp down on domestic violent extremists.
It's super fun that domestic terrorism isn't a thing, right? Or that the local cops did the right thing here and many are pretty surprised by that.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

The Pulse shooting, like so many others, can be written off as the action of a single individual.

20 Meal Team Sixers in the back of a U-Haul is a criminal conspiracy.
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

Smoove_B wrote: Mon Jun 13, 2022 8:22 pm I mean, we had the Pulse nightclub shooting in FL back in 2016. Things are much, much worse now, so yeah. Seems like this would be a great time to clamp down on domestic violent extremists.
The Pulse nightclub shooter had originally targeted Disney Springs but saw some police.offocers and left to find another target. He wasn't initially seeking gay individuals or businesses to target.

Not that it changes anything about the current threat but thought I'd note it.

MYT
The Meal

Post by The Meal »

Isgrimnur wrote: Mon Jun 13, 2022 10:26 pm 20 Meal Team Sixers in the back of a U-Haul is a criminal conspiracy.

Hey!
"Better to talk to people than communicate via tweet." — Elontra
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

:oops: :)
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

Gravy Seals is the more sensitive term 'round these parts.

Also:

MYT
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Enough wrote: Sun Jun 12, 2022 2:02 pm

The news lately like this gives me a sickening feeling that we are in a very, very bad place.

Covfefe!
malchior

Post by malchior »

Proud Boys were protesting a drag show and then tried to force their way in prompting the bar to pepper spray indiscriminately. I don't know what the cops did afterwards but you can hear the Proud Boys calling them pedophiles and I believe I even heard an utterance that amounted to a death threat. It is unclear who said it but things are going super great.

Edit: Found a second video which apparently shows that the police just pushed them across the street. A clear lesson that folks need to protect themselves because the police won't do it.

Fun fact: NZ just joined Canada in designating the Proud Boys as a terrorist organization.

LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

Are these Proud Boys(tm) or just Proud Boys in the general sense. Not that it matters to their targets but just wondering whether we're seeing some sort of national organization or just loosely affiliated assholes who frequent the same message boards.

MYT
malchior

Post by malchior »

LawBeefaroni wrote: Fri Jul 01, 2022 11:30 am Are these Proud Boys(tm) or just Proud Boys in the general sense. Not that it matters to their targets but just wondering whether we're seeing some sort of national organization or just loosely affiliated assholes who frequent the same message boards.
It's more than Antifa but less than say an organized militia. There is a national organization. The former leader was indicted for 1/6 (more below). Several of these guys in the video are identified semi-big deals in the local Proud Boy community so it wasn't rando scrubs either. In fact, one is believed to be under investigation for manufacturing ghost guns in his Sacramento gun store.

Communities of Proud Boys have been known to be in communication and have coordinated action before. For example, on 1/6 several proud boy groups were involved in the activities indicted for seditious conspiracy. From a news release from DOJ

Edit: An interesting side note is the event that was targeted was highlighted and elevated to right-wing scorn by our old favorite 'Libs of TikTok'. She has been getting away with essentially loosing Proud Boys onto these events. She also highlighted/targeted the Wilmington library event that led to the nonsense that YK mentioned previously. So it isn't very organized but it is social media driven to some extent which makes this potentially explosive.
A federal grand jury in the District of Columbia returned a superseding indictment today charging five members of the Proud Boys, including the group’s former national chairman, with seditious conspiracy and other charges for their actions before and during the breach of the U.S. Capitol on Jan. 6, 2021. Their actions disrupted a joint session of the U.S. Congress convened to ascertain and count the electoral votes related to the presidential election.

The defendants include Henry “Enrique” Tarrio, 38, of Miami, Florida, the former national chairman of the Proud Boys; Ethan Nordean, 31, of Auburn, Washington; Joseph Biggs, 38, of Ormond Beach, Florida; Zachary Rehl, 37, of Philadelphia, Pennsylvania; and Dominic Pezzola, 44, of Rochester, New York. All previously were indicted and remain detained. They pleaded not guilty to charges contained in earlier indictments.

The superseding indictment adds two charges to the earlier indictment: one count of seditious conspiracy and one count of conspiracy to prevent an officer from discharging any duties. All defendants now face a total of nine charges and Pezzola faces an additional robbery charge. The defendants are scheduled to appear for a hearing on June 9, 2022, in the District of Columbia

According to court documents, the Proud Boys describe themselves as members of a “pro-Western fraternal organization for men who refuse to apologize for creating the modern world, aka Western Chauvinists.” Through at least Jan. 6, 2021, Tarrio was the national chairman of the organization. In mid-December of 2020, Tarrio created a special chapter of the Proud Boys known as the “Ministry of Self Defense.” As alleged in the indictment, from in or around December 2020, Tarrio and his co-defendants, all of whom were leaders or members of the Ministry of Self Defense, conspired to prevent, hinder and delay the certification of the Electoral College vote, and to oppose by force the authority of the government of the United States. On Jan. 6, 2021, the defendants directed, mobilized and led members of the crowd onto the Capitol grounds and into the Capitol, leading to dismantling of metal barricades, destruction of property, breaching of the Capitol building, and assaults on law enforcement. During and after the attack, Tarrio and his co-defendants claimed credit for what had happened on social media and in an encrypted chat room.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

The new normal

Patriot Front taking a casual stroll along the Freedom Trail
NOTE:
Patriot Front is an American white nationalist and neo-fascist hate group. Part of the broader alt-right movement, the group split off from the neo-Nazi organization Vanguard America during the aftermath of the Unite the Right rally in 2017. The group maintains an Americana aesthetic, utilizing imagery of American culture, patriotism, and other widely accepted traditional American values to promote its ideology. According to the Anti-Defamation League, the group generated 82% of the racist, antisemitic, and other hateful propaganda in 2021 across the United States, comprising 3,992 incidents in every state except Hawaii and Alaska.
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

They're welcome to try that shit in Chicago. We need something to bring us together against a common enemy. They'd get maybe 10 feet off the bus.

And as bad as this is, it's time to start really worrying when they don't feel the need to wear masks.

MYT
Unagi

Post by Unagi »

hepcat wrote: Wed Jun 15, 2022 11:46 am
Enough wrote: Sun Jun 12, 2022 2:02 pm

Thank you!! for putting a smile on my face.
That was magic.
$iljanus
Forum Moderator

Post by $iljanus »

Smoove_B wrote: Sat Jul 02, 2022 2:54 pm The new normal

Patriot Front taking a casual stroll along the Freedom Trail
NOTE:
Patriot Front is an American white nationalist and neo-fascist hate group. Part of the broader alt-right movement, the group split off from the neo-Nazi organization Vanguard America during the aftermath of the Unite the Right rally in 2017. The group maintains an Americana aesthetic, utilizing imagery of American culture, patriotism, and other widely accepted traditional American values to promote its ideology. According to the Anti-Defamation League, the group generated 82% of the racist, antisemitic, and other hateful propaganda in 2021 across the United States, comprising 3,992 incidents in every state except Hawaii and Alaska.
My wife just told me about this. I wonder if they plan to visit where “the shot heard around the world” took place? We’ve had some right wing groups come to my town but as much as I disagreed with their politics they weren’t overt neo-Nazis busting out the Sieg Heil! Almost sorry I wasn’t down there. I have a lot of pent up anger to let out.
Black lives matter!

Wise words of warning from Smoove B: Oh, how you all laughed when I warned you about the semen. Well, who's laughing now?