[America] Domestic violent extremism

For discussion of religion and politics

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, $iljanus

Smoove_B

Re: [America] Domestic violent extremism

Post by Smoove_B »

Welcome to the new normal:
The secretary of defense on Friday approved a request from Capitol Police to provide 100 Washington, D.C. National Guardsmen for additional support during a rally Saturday on behalf of Jan. 6 Capitol riot defendants.

Secretary Lloyd Austin approved the guardsmen to be stationed at the D.C. Armory as a “Physical Security Task Force,” according to a statement from the Pentagon.
Maybe next year, maybe no go
Alefroth

Post by Alefroth »

I see a lot of the movement's leaders are warning people away because it's a government trap. More likely just an excuse when there is hardly any turnout.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

I am getting really tired of seeing NJ people in the news:
A federal law enforcement officer was arrested carrying a gun at Saturday’s rally at the U.S. Capitol billed to support the suspects charged in January’s insurrection but will not be prosecuted.

The 27-year-old New Jersey man is an officer with U.S. Customs and Border Protection. He was arrested by Capitol Police for illegally possessing a gun on the grounds of the Capitol after people in the crowd reported seeing him with a handgun and notified nearby officers.

A spokesman for the U.S. attorney’s office in Washington said prosecutors were “not moving forward with charges” but did not provide additional information about the decision.

Two law enforcement officials said the officer was not at the rally in any official capacity. The officials could not discuss the matter publicly and spoke to the AP on condition of anonymity. The Department of Homeland Security’s inspector general was also notified of his arrest.
So I guess he used the "Was that wrong? Should I not have done that?" defense and they extended him a professional courtesy. More and more it's quite clear that the calls are coming from inside the house and we're just shrugging.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

I'm sure it's just part of his dress code.
It's almost as if people are the problem.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

FBI director Chris Wray tells Congressional panel: Domestic violent extremism caseload has “mushroomed”
I probably would have used a non-explosive metaphor, but I guess he could have been trying to refer to growth from rot. :wink:
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

malchior wrote: Sun Sep 05, 2021 6:31 am Just some more Proud Boy fun this weekend in Olympia. FWIW, I saw another photo of the injury described below - won't post it - but it appears to be entry above the knee exiting in the shin/ankle area. If real, it totally feels like a belt/holster/pocket shot but the lore still will be that antifa shot a proud boy.
Sounds like a classic case of "Glock Leg." I know some gun nuts who can probably track it down, will check.
" Hey OP, listen to my advice alright." -Tha General
"No scientific discovery is named after its original discoverer." -Stigler's Law of Eponymy, discovered by Robert K. Merton

MYT
Ralph-Wiggum

Post by Ralph-Wiggum »

Smoove_B wrote: Wed Sep 22, 2021 1:42 pm
FBI director Chris Wray tells Congressional panel: Domestic violent extremism caseload has “mushroomed”
I probably would have used a non-explosive metaphor, but I guess he could have been trying to refer to growth from rot. :wink:
Is that because domestic violent extremism has recently increased or because we now have a justice department interested in actually doing something about it?
Black Lives Matter
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

Ralph-Wiggum wrote: Wed Sep 22, 2021 3:19 pm Is that because domestic violent extremism has recently increased or because we now have a justice department interested in actually doing something about it?
Yes.
When darkness veils the world, four Warriors of Light shall come.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

LawBeefaroni wrote: Wed Sep 22, 2021 1:54 pm
malchior wrote: Sun Sep 05, 2021 6:31 am Just some more Proud Boy fun this weekend in Olympia. FWIW, I saw another photo of the injury described below - won't post it - but it appears to be entry above the knee exiting in the shin/ankle area. If real, it totally feels like a belt/holster/pocket shot but the lore still will be that antifa shot a proud boy.
Sounds like a classic case of "Glock Leg." I know some gun nuts who can probably track it down, will check.
If a proud boy is going to carry a Glock like the cool guys in the movies, he should stuff it down the front of his pants like the cool guys from the movies, too.
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)
Holman

Post by Holman »

Blackhawk wrote: Wed Sep 22, 2021 8:08 pm If a proud boy is going to carry a Glock like the cool guys in the movies, he should stuff it down the front of his pants like the cool guys from the movies, too.
And it should be an unloaded prop like theirs too.
Much prefer my Nazis Nuremberged.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Holman wrote: Wed Sep 22, 2021 8:24 pm
Blackhawk wrote: Wed Sep 22, 2021 8:08 pm If a proud boy is going to carry a Glock like the cool guys in the movies, he should stuff it down the front of his pants like the cool guys from the movies, too.
And it should be an unloaded prop like theirs too.
That would defeat the purpose. I'm trying to earn them a Darwin here, geeze. :P
malchior

Post by malchior »

Worth a watch. He perfectly defines and underlines in simple terms the incredible danger we face.

LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

That's about right.
"No scientific discovery is named after its original discoverer." -Stigler's Law of Eponymy, discovered by Robert K. Merton

MYT
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

Apparently he was shot in a clash after the Proud Boys chased down a counter protest group.. Went looking for a fight, found a fight, got shot. Congrats, you win first place!
At around 3 p.m. the two groups reached an Intercity Transit station, Police Chief Aaron Jelcick previously told The Olympian. Video from the incident shows a group of people dressed in black running through the transit center. At one point, one of these people appears to fire a handgun five times toward a group in pursuit.

The shooting resulted in Tusitala “Tiny” Toese, a regular Proud Boys organizer from the Portland area, being shot in the foot, Portland-area media reported. He was taken to Providence St. Peter Hospital in Olympia following the shooting.
They arrested the alleged shooter:
Olympia police arrested a man in connection with the shooting of a Proud Boy member at a transit station during clashes on Sept. 4.

The man, a 36-year-old Olympia resident, was booked into Thurston County jail Thursday on suspicion of first-degree assault while armed with a deadly weapon, according to a city news release.

MYT
malchior

Post by malchior »

LawBeefaroni wrote: Fri Oct 01, 2021 9:00 amWent looking for a fight, found a fight, got shot. Congrats, you win first place!
Around here we call it 'fucking around and finding out'.
malchior

Post by malchior »

Former target of alleged Proud Boy adjacent assassination plot is murdered
A man who allegedly was the previous target of a surveillance and assassination plot by a former attorney for the Proud Boys was found murdered in El Mirage, Arizona, earlier this month.

On September 1, 2021, El Mirage Police Department officers discovered 55-year-old Thomas Christopher Retzlaff dead at his home with unspecified "fatal injuries" after responding to a welfare check requested by his wife, according to agency spokesperson Timothy Mason. The Maricopa County Office of the Medical Examiner later ruled the death a homicide.

In recent years, Retzlaff had been entangled in a vicious and convoluted legal battle with Jason Van Dyke, a Texas-based attorney who is a former Proud Boys member and once served as the group's lawyer.

Van Dyke filed a $100 million libel lawsuit in federal court in 2018 accusing Retzlaff of falsely calling him a Nazi and a pedophile in blog posts. Retzlaff had also filed bar complaints against Van Dyke in an attempt to derail his potential job as a prosecutor in the Victoria County District Attorney's Office, according to a report by The Daily Beast.

Reached by phone Thursday night, Van Dyke, who was in the middle of a Dungeons and Dragons game, told Phoenix New Times that he was "glad to hear" that Retzlaff had died. He said that he had no involvement in his death.

Van Dyke denied the existence of an assassination plot and said he'd never asked any Proud Boys members in Arizona to surveil Retzlaff. He dismissed the recorded conversation where he talked about a scheme to murder Retzlaff as him just "venting" to his roommate.

But he admitted to fantasizing about the idea of killing Retzlaff.

"People asked me, 'Well, did you think of killing him at that time?' Well, yes, I did — who wouldn't in that situation?" Van Dyke said. "Did that thought pass through my head? Yes. Did I decide ultimately not to do it? Of course."

"Candidly, at that time, I was not in a good state of mind," Van Dyke added. "It was exhausting dealing with this guy."

Attempts to reach the Proud Boys in Arizona were unsuccessful. Enrique Tarrio, the group's national leader, was recently sentenced to five months in jail for two crimes, including burning a Black Lives Matter flag that was stolen from a Black church.

Mason, the spokesperson for the El Mirage Police Department, confirmed that the Retzlaff who was killed in El Mirage is the same individual who was sued by Van Dyke. He said that an investigation into Retzlaff's murder is underway and that the department has "identified several different investigative leads." He declined to elaborate further. No arrests have yet been made.

Asked if Van Dyke or any members of the Proud Boys were suspects, Mason said, "We have not ruled anyone out at this point that’s had involvement with him."
Unagi

Post by Unagi »

Hmm.... I'm going to need to roll an Insight skill check...
Unagi

Post by Unagi »

LawBeefaroni wrote: Fri Oct 01, 2021 9:00 am
Apparently he was shot in a clash after the Proud Boys chased down a counter protest group.. Went looking for a fight, found a fight, got shot. Congrats, you win first place!
At around 3 p.m. the two groups reached an Intercity Transit station, Police Chief Aaron Jelcick previously told The Olympian. Video from the incident shows a group of people dressed in black running through the transit center. At one point, one of these people appears to fire a handgun five times toward a group in pursuit.

The shooting resulted in Tusitala “Tiny” Toese, a regular Proud Boys organizer from the Portland area, being shot in the foot, Portland-area media reported. He was taken to Providence St. Peter Hospital in Olympia following the shooting.
They arrested the alleged shooter:
Olympia police arrested a man in connection with the shooting of a Proud Boy member at a transit station during clashes on Sept. 4.

The man, a 36-year-old Olympia resident, was booked into Thurston County jail Thursday on suspicion of first-degree assault while armed with a deadly weapon, according to a city news release.
Shot in the foot doesn't sound like the same thing described originally: "FWIW, I saw another photo of the injury described below - won't post it - but it appears to be entry above the knee exiting in the shin/ankle area."

So, what's that about?
malchior

Post by malchior »

It might have been a photo unrelated to the event that people were posting. That's why I said 'if real'. It was something that wasn't attributed. If the photo was true it could have been a ricochet. The event mentions there was a guy firing on the run.
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

The video sure looks like just his foot.

MYT
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

I think I would like to put this here:

I know some of you don’t like the rare times when I feel it necessary to post these. But, I don’t see any real difference between this and his Dec 19 “come to DC and stop the steal - it’s going to be wild!” tweet. He is using audits and rallies to try and start another one.
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

Is Fucko saying he's going to be here on the Tuesday or that he declaring he doesn't care about the country? I find it hard to believe he's coming to a rally he doesn't control.

Patriots my ass.
malchior

Post by malchior »

This guy was shot by a political extremist yet fuels extremism. I give Chris Wallace a lot of credit here for chasing him all over the place but this evil weasel simply won't answer the question.

LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

Smoove_B wrote: Fri Oct 08, 2021 7:40 pm I think I would like to put this here:

I know some of you don’t like the rare times when I feel it necessary to post these. But, I don’t see any real difference between this and his Dec 19 “come to DC and stop the steal - it’s going to be wild!” tweet. He is using audits and rallies to try and start another one.
No mention of his attendance. I guess he doesn't care about the country

https://www.freep.com/story/news/politi ... 423137002/

At least I can take solace in
About one hour after the scheduled noon start of the rally, there were an estimated 300 to 400 people on the Capitol lawn, said Lt. Darren Green of the Michigan State Police.
Still I don't trust things are that small any more. I have been relieved of the illusion that this is fringe position.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

DFW
Jennifer ‘Jenna’ Ryan, a North Texas real estate broker, has been sentenced to prison for participating in the January 6 insurrection.

Ryan, who flew to Washington, D.C. on a private plane and livestreamed the events at the Capitol while promoting her business, was sentenced to 60 days in prison and ordered to pay a $1,000 fine.

The 51-year-old, who admitted that she “paraded, demonstrated, or picketed” inside the nation’s Capitol must also pay $500 to the Architect of the Capitol.

The sentence comes months after the Frisco real estate broker posted on social media that she was definitely not going to jail, and apologized for having blonde hair, white skin, a great job, and a great future.
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

Why is a north Texas broker working in Frisco?
Jaymann
]==(:::::::::::::>
Black Lives Matter
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

Jaymann wrote: Thu Nov 04, 2021 4:19 pm Why is a north Texas broker working in Frisco?
Frisco, Texas is in North Texas, no? I know it's north of Dallas.

MYT
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

NPR has an interesting piece this morning:
Leaked records purportedly from a far-right organization suggest that its effort to recruit law enforcement officers has found some success in America's largest cities. Investigations by NPR and WNYC/Gothamist show active officers in New York City, Los Angeles and Chicago on the Oath Keepers membership roster, with Chicago showing the greatest representation of the three.

Extremism and policing experts say the findings are reason for concern, as the far-right paramilitary organization encourages members to uphold the law only as they interpret it. But defining a clear standard on officers' affiliation with groups such as the Oath Keepers is tricky, as it could run afoul of officers' free speech and free assembly rights.

With nearly 18,000 state and local law enforcement agencies across the country, there is little consensus around how — or even whether — departments should address the issue of officers joining anti-government organizations.

"How do you balance an officer's freedom of speech, freedom of association with the need to maintain public trust and to ensure that they're delivering constitutional policing?" said Sue Rahr, former Sheriff of King County, Washington and former executive director of the Washington State Criminal Justice Training Commission. "It's a difficult balance."
"It's a difficult balance"
malchior

Post by malchior »

Yeah I'll get my fainting couch on the above and lump it in with this shocker.

coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

LawBeefaroni wrote: Thu Nov 04, 2021 4:40 pm
Jaymann wrote: Thu Nov 04, 2021 4:19 pm Why is a north Texas broker working in Frisco?
Frisco, Texas is in North Texas, no? I know it's north of Dallas.
It's also where some of our biggest XCOM fans live... ok, well one.

San Francisco = Frisco, unless you actually live in Frisco.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

Smoove_B wrote: Fri Nov 05, 2021 10:15 am NPR has an interesting piece this morning:
Leaked records purportedly from a far-right organization suggest that its effort to recruit law enforcement officers has found some success in America's largest cities. Investigations by NPR and WNYC/Gothamist show active officers in New York City, Los Angeles and Chicago on the Oath Keepers membership roster, with Chicago showing the greatest representation of the three.

Extremism and policing experts say the findings are reason for concern, as the far-right paramilitary organization encourages members to uphold the law only as they interpret it. But defining a clear standard on officers' affiliation with groups such as the Oath Keepers is tricky, as it could run afoul of officers' free speech and free assembly rights.

With nearly 18,000 state and local law enforcement agencies across the country, there is little consensus around how — or even whether — departments should address the issue of officers joining anti-government organizations.

"How do you balance an officer's freedom of speech, freedom of association with the need to maintain public trust and to ensure that they're delivering constitutional policing?" said Sue Rahr, former Sheriff of King County, Washington and former executive director of the Washington State Criminal Justice Training Commission. "It's a difficult balance."
"It's a difficult balance"
Way back the Oath Keepers swore to disobey unconstitutional orders. They were part of the conspiracy theorists that believed that a totalitarian police state was being created to subjugate Americans and undermine democracy. Over the years they have been far-righted and now basically represent a totalitarian police state determined to undermine democracy.

MYT
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

I think this goes here, right?

Rep. Clay Higgins on mandates: “Let me be clear to all the oppressors. You’ve drawn a line in the sand. Be prepared to defend your position .. We would rather die on our feet than live on our knees .. Some of us are prepared to carry that fight with every drop of our blood.”
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

They'll be going with option #3: Dying on their backs.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

NPR
A holiday parade in Waukesha, Wis., turned to panic after a red SUV tore through the crowd. Police and first responders were dispatched as reports of multiple people injured at the scene came in.

The 58th annual holiday parade in downtown Waukesha was underway when a vehicle sped through the parade, ultimately colliding with an unknown number of parade goers.

Videos across social media show a red SUV blowing through low-level barricades and speeding away. A law enforcement officer can be seen in the video and appears to open fire at the vehicle.
malchior

Post by malchior »

There are reports the driver was shooting out the window but may have just been confusion about police shooting at the vehicle. I first hand saw a video of first contact with the crowd. There shouldn't be much doubt this was intentional. They slow down slightly, then accelerate hard right through a marching band, and a cheer squad. Hot take - this is beyond horrible and I can't help but think that no other advanced nation deals with this level of constant and persistent malevolence on an ongoing basis.
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

malchior wrote: Sun Nov 21, 2021 9:35 pm There are reports the driver was shooting out the window but may have just been confusion about police shooting at the vehicle. I first hand saw a video of first contact with the crowd. There shouldn't be much doubt this was intentional. They slow down slightly, then accelerate hard right through a marching band, and a cheer squad. Hot take - this is beyond horrible and I can't help but think that no other advanced nation deals with this level of constant and persistent malevolence on an ongoing basis.
I saw reports that it was the police shooting at the vehicle. Also heard that the police had an increased presence and seemed to be on high alert right before the car entered.

MYT
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Children were among those struck by the car, Waukesha Police Chief Dan Thompson said. In all, 11 adults and 12 pediatric patients were transported to six hospitals in the area.

No further specifics were given about the injuries and the fatalities, as authorities work to notify family members of the victims.

Thompson said the suspected vehicle has been recovered and there was a "person of interest" in custody, but did not specify if that was the driver. He said it was not known if there was any "nexus to terrorism."
malchior

Post by malchior »

The early theory I'm hearing several times is the suspect was a known criminal in the area and was fleeing another crime.
Octavious

Post by Octavious »

They freaking drove right over the marching band. Those poor kids and parents. Everyone hates each other so much that I just see more of this happening. I really hope it's just a pyscho who was trying to run front the cops and not someone trying to send a message.

Right wing sites are all saying it's a African American. I have no idea how they got that information as I haven't seen anything about the actual suspect.
Capitalism tries for a delicate balance: It attempts to work things out so that everyone gets just enough stuff to keep them from getting violent and trying to take other people’s stuff.

Shameless plug for my website: www.nettphoto.com