[America] Domestic violent extremism

For discussion of religion and politics

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, $iljanus

Blackhawk

Re: [America] Domestic violent extremism

Post by Blackhawk »

Drazzil wrote: Thu Nov 25, 2021 9:34 pm Add another thing democrats and the left are shit at in America: Domestic violent extremism.
Oh, I'm going to regret asking this.

How could the left be better at domestic violent extremism?
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)
Zarathud

Post by Zarathud »

Drazzil lives in a 80s post apocalyptic fantasy world. I’m pretty sure the twisted fanfic is already written and aired.
"If the facts don't fit the theory, change the facts." - Albert Einstein
"I don't stand by anything." - Trump
“Bad men need nothing more to compass their ends, than that good men should look on and do nothing.” - John Stuart Mill, Inaugural Address Delivered to the University of St Andrews, 2/1/1867
“It is the impractical things in this tumultuous hell-scape of a world that matter most. A book, a name, chicken soup. They help us remember that, even in our darkest hour, life is still to be savored.” - Poe, Altered Carbon
$iljanus
Forum Moderator

Post by $iljanus »

Blackhawk wrote: Thu Nov 25, 2021 10:55 pm
Drazzil wrote: Thu Nov 25, 2021 9:34 pm Add another thing democrats and the left are shit at in America: Domestic violent extremism.

Well, the Proud Boys ain't no Symbionese Liberation Army. The SLA could take those pansies
Black lives matter!

Wise words of warning from Smoove B: Oh, how you all laughed when I warned you about the semen. Well, who's laughing now?
Kurth

Post by Kurth »

I already regret you asked this. :doh:
Just 'cause you feel it, doesn't mean it's there -- Radiohead
Do you believe me? Do you trust me? Do you like me? 😳
Drazzil

Post by Drazzil »

$iljanus wrote: Fri Nov 26, 2021 3:15 pm

Well, the Proud Boys ain't no Symbionese Liberation Army. The SLA could take those pansies
/Pam "Right!?" /Pam

But seriously. Our government is AFRAID of the right wing extremists. There have been a number of situations where the federal government stands down/does nothing in the face of the right occupying a national park, not paying grazing fees, storming the capital building etc. Can you imagine if the left did things like this for change? Occupy a national park for some progressive stuff. Storm the capital for climate change. I dunno.
Daehawk wrote:Thats Drazzil's chair damnit.
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

Have you seen those lowlifes who occupied the national park and stormed the Capitol? Not exactly high grade genetic material.
Jaymann
]==(:::::::::::::>
Black Lives Matter
Drazzil

Post by Drazzil »

Jaymann wrote: Fri Nov 26, 2021 10:04 pm Have you seen those lowlifes who occupied the national park and stormed the Capitol? Not exactly high grade genetic material.
Upon reflection it may have been easier just to yawn and go home and leave them to it until they run out of food water or will.

That said the violent extremists seem to be awfully good at terrorizing their side into doing exactly what they want. It'd be nice to see our sides politicians scared of our left, even a little.
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

I'd rather not live in a country governed through fear in any great capacity.
Covfefe!
malchior

Post by malchior »

Drazzil wrote: Fri Nov 26, 2021 10:37 pmThat said the violent extremists seem to be awfully good at terrorizing their side into doing exactly what they want. It'd be nice to see our sides politicians scared of our left, even a little.
This is your problem. You don't understand what is happening. You've got it backwards. The elite have absolutely zero fear of these people. The elites have been pushing on issues that these people care about to drive them. They've got these people divided up enough to make sure the politicians get to choose who elects them. They've got enough energized to exploit the non-Democratic elements of our system. They've pretty much succeeded in positioning themselves to achieve their end game which will be carving up this nation and stuffing it into their pockets.
Drazzil

Post by Drazzil »

malchior wrote: Sat Nov 27, 2021 11:13 am
Drazzil wrote: Fri Nov 26, 2021 10:37 pmThat said the violent extremists seem to be awfully good at terrorizing their side into doing exactly what they want. It'd be nice to see our sides politicians scared of our left, even a little.
This is your problem. You don't understand what is happening. You've got it backwards. The elite have absolutely zero fear of these people. The elites have been pushing on issues that these people care about to drive them. They've got these people divided up enough to make sure the politicians get to choose who elects them. They've got enough energized to exploit the non-Democratic elements of our system. They've pretty much succeeded in positioning themselves to achieve their end game which will be carving up this nation and stuffing it into their pockets.
Just like the USSR yes.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

The Hill
The suspect who allegedly drove through a Wisconsin Christmas parade and killed six people said that he feels "demonized" during his first comments since the deadly event.

Darrell Brooks Jr., 39, spoke to Fox News Digital during a video visit in Waukesha County Jail on Wednesday.

"I just feel like I'm being monster-demonized," Brooks said.
It's almost as if people are the problem.
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

Demonized is polite.
stimpy

Post by stimpy »

That's a fucking insult to demons.
He/Him/His/Porcupine
Zarathud

Post by Zarathud »

Personal responsibility is a bitch when you’ve killed people.
"If the facts don't fit the theory, change the facts." - Albert Einstein
"I don't stand by anything." - Trump
“Bad men need nothing more to compass their ends, than that good men should look on and do nothing.” - John Stuart Mill, Inaugural Address Delivered to the University of St Andrews, 2/1/1867
“It is the impractical things in this tumultuous hell-scape of a world that matter most. A book, a name, chicken soup. They help us remember that, even in our darkest hour, life is still to be savored.” - Poe, Altered Carbon
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

At some.point he made the decision to crush people with a car to make his escape. I could see accidentally entering the parade route, even trying to nudge people out of the way. But when he decided to plow through the crowd, he is a monster. There's a good reason they're stuffing him in full body kevlar for his court appearances.

Also, he would have had much better chance of escape if he just threw the vehicle in park, jumped out, and tried to get lost in the crowd.
" Hey OP, listen to my advice alright." -Tha General
"No scientific discovery is named after its original discoverer." -Stigler's Law of Eponymy, discovered by Robert K. Merton

MYT
Alefroth

Post by Alefroth »

LawBeefaroni wrote: Thu Dec 02, 2021 1:47 pm
Also, he would have had much better chance of escape if he just threw the vehicle in park, jumped out, and tried to get lost in the crowd.
Are you saying he's stupid? Are you trying to hurt his feelings?
malchior

Post by malchior »

500 members of the extremist fascist group Patriot Front marched through Washington tonight. These are the same cowards Philly ran out of town this summer.

Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

These folks probably spend their days raging against wearing a mask, I'm sure. They're getting smarter - don't want to be doxxed after the Tiki-Torch march that started all this nonsense. I don't know how to look at this any other way than being quite concerned. How you deal with it, I have no idea, but we're clearly not equipped. At the risk of sounding hyperbolic, it really does kind feel like maybe we are looking at what happened during the Weimar Republic, eh?
Maybe next year, maybe no go
Little Raven

Post by Little Raven »

Smoove_B wrote: Sun Dec 05, 2021 2:43 pmAt the risk of sounding hyperbolic, it really does kind feel like maybe we are looking at what happened during the Weimar Republic, eh?
No. The Weimar Republic was a distinctly German experience. This is something much more American. We've been here before.
/. "She climbed backwards out her
\/ window into Outside Over There."
malchior

Post by malchior »

I don't think the Weimar analogy is going to hold up. It is fundamentally different. The United States economy isn't in shambles like Germany's economy was. Despite pressure from China we still are the predominant world power unlike Germany which was chaffing under 'Great War' restrictions on their global standing. The similarities are that our responses to issues in our nation have trended along authoritarian lines but it isn't clearly fascist in the 30s sense. I've in past compared the elite lawlessness we are seeing to late-stage fascist movements. Though when you get to the big picture it is a bit different even if those sort of patterns are very similar.

The real trouble with the Patriot Front conducting these marches is that they are showing that they are organized. The authorities have largely stood back and watched as they roll up in their box trucks, unloads hundreds of people, and then helplessly watch as they get back in and melt away into the night. They are showing potential recruits that they are real deal. How many marched in Charlottesville in the infamous tiki torch parade? Dozens to 250. The Patriot Front is a *splinter* organization descended from that event. And they now are marching upwards of 500 people at a time. We have no idea what the rate of growth actually is when you can link up all these groups. That's what should concern us. This is how these movements recruit. They show their capability and might. Will it keep growing? And will they take more affirmative action to charge up recruiting? That's the question.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Well, if the biggest thing keeping us from sliding into Wiemar territory is our economy, it would certainly explain the economy über alles approach we've been taking for the last ~2 years, eh? Or am I to believe these people marching in D.C. are just expressing their "economic anxiety" too?
malchior

Post by malchior »

Smoove_B wrote: Sun Dec 05, 2021 3:32 pm Well, if the biggest thing keeping us from sliding into Wiemar territory is our economy, it would certainly explain the economy über alles approach we've been taking for the last ~2 years, eh?
I don't think these concepts are strongly connected. Our economic response to the pandemic was driven by an economic elite who were largely shielded from the impact of their decisions. They were able to influence and capitalize on an evil imbecile who was all too happy to politicize the importance of the economy to paper over his own failures.
Or am I to believe these people marching in D.C. are just expressing their "economic anxiety" too?
I think economic impact certainly drives them but this is a hate movement first. It really matters how big and quickly they grow and then next steps would be to see if someone in power would try to harness them for their own ends.
Holman

Post by Holman »

malchior wrote: Sat Dec 04, 2021 7:38 pm 500 members of the extremist fascist group Patriot Front marched through Washington tonight. These are the same cowards Philly ran out of town this summer.

Right-wing pundits (including those as high-profile as Laura Ingraham) are providing cover by declaring that this was a false-flag op by liberals or the Deep State. This ignores that Patriot Front is a well-known group that has been taking credit for the demonstration.

Fox News headliners *openly* going to bat for neo-Nazi gangs is always disturbing.
Much prefer my Nazis Nuremberged.
malchior

Post by malchior »

Hopefully this helps. It's crazy that this is where we are though.

stessier

Post by stessier »

That scares me a bit because who gets to categorize groups as "extremist"? I agree something needs to be done and don't have a better plan, but this could get ugly in less enlightened hands.
I require a reminder as to why raining arcane destruction is not an appropriate response to all of life's indignities. - Vaarsuvius
Global Steam Wishmaslist Tracking
Running____2014: 1300.55 miles____2015: 2036.13 miles____2016: 1012.75 miles____2017: 1105.82 miles____2018: 1318.91 miles__2019: 2000.00 miles
malchior

Post by malchior »

stessier wrote: Tue Dec 21, 2021 10:04 am That scares me a bit because who gets to categorize groups as "extremist"? I agree something needs to be done and don't have a better plan, but this could get ugly in less enlightened hands.
I'm not all that concerned about the "freedom" / censorship angle. This isn't abnormal for the military. They have more responsibility with less rights. It is part of why we call it service. Plus on the balance as 3 generals just wrote in the Washington Post, we need to make sure these guys don't get recruited while they are serving.
malchior

Post by malchior »

Speaking of violent extremism. This is completely out of control. He is talking about presenting the same old braindead argument about Wuhan against an imaginary Fauci but the language is completely unacceptable - especially now.

$iljanus
Forum Moderator

Post by $iljanus »

malchior wrote: Tue Dec 21, 2021 11:41 am Speaking of violent extremism. This is completely out of control. He is talking about presenting the same old braindead argument about Wuhan against an imaginary Fauci but the language is completely unacceptable - especially now.

I have to chuckle at the dismissal of Chris Cuomo at CNN for violating journalistic ethics 101 while at Fox he’ll probably get at worst a strong talking to for advocating murder while getting an attaboy in private. Or maybe just the attaboy. But on the outside chance he’s fired (hahahaha) I’m sure OAN can squeeze him in somewhere.
Black lives matter!

Wise words of warning from Smoove B: Oh, how you all laughed when I warned you about the semen. Well, who's laughing now?
malchior

Post by malchior »

$iljanus wrote: Wed Dec 22, 2021 10:39 amI have to chuckle at the dismissal of Chris Cuomo at CNN for violating journalistic ethics 101 while at Fox he’ll probably get at worst a strong talking to for advocating murder while getting an attaboy in private. Or maybe just the attaboy. But on the outside chance he’s fired (hahahaha) I’m sure OAN can squeeze him in somewhere.
Worse Fox News is embracing this. They've stopped even pretending that they are an organization that has any accountability. We saw some backing off when the Dominion lawsuit came down but apparently since then they've decided to double down. In this case, Fauci made the reasonable remark when asked that the guy should be fired. Obvious since Fauci gets death threats regularly! And that is what Fox wanted. They literally rolled tape on the comments over and over and have their anchors mocking Fauci on air. Laughing how it is so overblown and out of context. It's deeply disturbing. This goes beyond free speech to me but what do I know, right? Guess we'll wait until someone gets killed before we even question how outrageous their recklessness is.

Edit: Happened on a good summation of what's going on here.

Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

I guess this goes here? I'm not sure - it's commentary from foreign press on how things look in America. In short the next US civil war is already here. It crosses a few different topics here in R&P, but the inclusion of domestic violent extremist elements is critical to the observation:
The United States today is, once again, headed for civil war, and, once again, it cannot bear to face it. The political problems are both structural and immediate, the crisis both longstanding and accelerating. The American political system has become so overwhelmed by anger that even the most basic tasks of government are increasingly impossible.

The legal system grows less legitimate by the day. Trust in government at all levels is in freefall, or, like Congress, with approval ratings hovering around 20%, cannot fall any lower. Right now, elected sheriffs openly promote resistance to federal authority. Right now, militias train and arm themselves in preparation for the fall of the Republic. Right now, doctrines of a radical, unachievable, messianic freedom spread across the internet, on talk radio, on cable television, in the malls.

The right is preparing for a breakdown of law and order, but they are also overtaking the forces of law and order. Hard right organization have now infiltrated so many police forces – the connections number in the hundreds – that they have become unreliable allies in the struggle against domestic terrorism.

Michael German, a former FBI agent who worked undercover against domestic terrorists during the 1990s, knows that the white power sympathies within police departments hamper domestic terrorism cases. “The 2015 FBI counter-terrorism guide instructs FBI agents, on white supremacist cases, to not put them on the terrorist watch list as agents normally would do,” he says. “Because the police could then look at the watchlist and determine that they are their friends.” The watchlists are among the most effective techniques of counter-terrorism, but the FBI cannot use them. The white supremacists in the United States are not a marginal force; they are inside its institutions.
What to do?
The United States needs to recover its revolutionary spirit, and I don’t mean that as some kind of inspirational quote. I mean that, if it is to survive, the United States will have to recover its revolutionary spirit. The crises the United States now faces in its basic governmental functions are so profound that they require starting over. The founders understood that government is supposed to work for living people, rather than for a bunch of old ghosts. And now their ghostly constitution, worshipped like a religious document, is strangling the spirit that animated their enterprise, the idea that you mold politics to suit people, not the other way around.

Does the country have the humility to acknowledge that its old orders no longer work? Does it have the courage to begin again? As it managed so spectacularly at the birth of its nationhood, the United States requires the boldness to invent a new politics for a new era. It is entirely possible that it might do so. America is, after all, a country devoted to reinvention.

Once again, as before, the hope for America is Americans. But it is time to face what the Americans of the 1850s found so difficult to face: The system is broken, all along the line. The situation is clear and the choice is basic: reinvention or fall.
malchior

Post by malchior »

This is exactly what I'm seeing and was trying to say in the other thread a week or more back. The following part below resonates hard with me. So many people believe our institutions will save us when the institutions are the very problem. If you think that our institutions are strong, well you're pretty much the outlier now and that is the quandary. We need to believe in our institutions for them to work and we just simply don't. I'm not even convinced a civil war is inevitable. We might see those institutions subsumed and turned into facilities of a reactionary apartheid state. One of many possibilities. It'll be a matter of who gets the reins perhaps. The situation is incredibly grim right now and most people don't even think it is happening.
There will be those who say that warnings of a new civil war is alarmist. All I can say is that reality has outpaced even the most alarmist predictions. Imagine going back just 10 years and explaining that a Republican president would openly support the dictatorship of North Korea. No conspiracy theorist would have dared to dream it. Anyone who foresaw, foresaw dimly. The trends were apparent; their ends were not.

It would be entirely possible for the United States to implement a modern electoral system, to restore the legitimacy of the courts, to reform its police forces, to root out domestic terrorism, to alter its tax code to address inequality, to prepare its cities and its agriculture for the effects of climate change, to regulate and to control the mechanisms of violence. All of these futures are possible. There is one hope, however, that must be rejected outright: the hope that everything will work out by itself, that America will bumble along into better times. It won’t. Americans have believed their country is an exception, a necessary nation. If history has shown us anything it’s that the world doesn’t have any necessary nations.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

I could put this in any number of threads, but I choose this one. I saw the headlines last week but was waiting to confirm what most suspected - the fire was intentionally set:
The New Year's Eve fire that destroyed a Knoxville, Tenn., Planned Parenthood building was intentionally set, investigators and officials have ruled.

The fire was ruled an arson on Thursday after officials from the Knoxville Fire Department and the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives (ATF) investigated the scene. Officials say they don't know who set the fire.

On Dec. 31, the Knox County Emergency Communications Center received a call at 6:39 a.m. about a building on fire. When crews arrived, they found a single-story commercial building with a fire that reached through the roof.

The fire, which was quickly put out, caused a "total loss" of the building, the fire department said. There were no injuries.
This was not an "abortion factory" it was a facility that provided health care services to people in the community - men, women and children. Some services are still being offered.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Moving forward by forming a new domestic terrorism unit:
The Justice Department is establishing a new domestic terrorism unit to combat the threat that has more than doubled in the past two years, the head of the agency's National Security Division said Tuesday.

Assistant Attorney General Matthew Olsen told members of the Senate Judiciary Committee that the newly formed unit will encompass a dedicated group of attorneys to focus on the domestic terrorism threat.
Good luck folks - you're going to need it. Thankfully I'm guessing your initial search might not require you to move real far.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

NBC News
Ryan, 51, reported to prison Dec. 21. In an interview with NBC News five days earlier, she expressed regret for entering the Capitol but still portrayed herself as a victim. She went so far as to assert that the backlash she has received is akin to the experience of “the Jews in Germany.”
“They have no idea who I am as a person, what my beliefs are, what I’ve been through, who I am," she added. "They see me as a one-dimensional caricature. They don’t see me as a human.”

"And so, that is the epitome of a scapegoat. Just like they did that to the Jews in Germany. Those were scapegoats. And I believe that people who are Caucasian are being turned into evil in front of the media.”

Pressed whether she was comparing the situation to the Holocaust, Ryan said she was reluctant to say more.

“You know what’s so sad?” she responded. “That I’m afraid to answer your question because I will be attacked for saying that.”

She said other people have made the same comparison and that she “definitely” feels she is being persecuted.
It's almost as if people are the problem.
malchior

Post by malchior »

A long, harrowing read. The tldr; the risk of domestic terror is incredibly high, even likely perhaps, and it is only a matter of time or worse it could be harnessed.

There’s time enough to valorize the work of Scott B., an undercover fed who breached far-right death squads and squashed their national web of terror cells. (Scott requested that his surname not be used for the sake of his family’s safety.) Last summer, when he retired at 50 from the FBI, Scott left the bureau as one of the most storied agents since Joe Pistone, the real-life Donnie Brasco. For two-plus decades, he cracked landmark cases and won every laurel they give to undercovers. Months out of the game, though, he can’t stop brooding over the threat he left behind. He knows better than anyone that it’s later than we think, and that each day brings us closer to the next 9/11 — this one launched by our own children.

Scott is telling this story in the study of his farmhouse high up a hill in the Appalachians. It hunches like a fort on its timbered perch, with assault rifles and armor in the linen closet and kill-shot sight lines of the unmarked road running past his drive. As he talks, he screens footage that he took of those men through a hidden cam on his person. It was wildly risky work, taping terrorists with long guns in woods miles from his support team. It is no less risky to be showing this film and revealing these details for mass consumption. Scott has never been named in public, even at criminal trials. So thorough was the evidence he gathered covertly that every defendant he ever arrested pleaded out.

But he’s breaking his covenant now for the reason he took that footage: He is haunted by what the people onscreen will do if their movement — and their moment — aren’t thwarted. Over months of interviews with Scott and his former colleagues, hours-long conversations with domestic-terror experts, and wormhole dives down fascist portals on apps like Gab and Discord, a portrait emerged of a nation under threat from a thousand points of hate. “We’ve seen massive increases in plots and acts” committed by domestic terrorists, says Bruce Hoffman, a Georgetown professor and counterterror authority whose Inside Terrorism is the master text on the subject. “Me and my team lay awake nights kicking the walls, because there’s a million-and-a-half guys online plotting murder,” says Rita Katz, the founder and director of the SITE Intelligence Group, and the author of the forthcoming Saints and Soldiers, which tracks the rise of far-right terror in the age of Trump. “We’re in a business where we can’t be wrong once,” says Scott. “And there’s way more of them than us undercovers.”
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

If you have Hulu (or NatGeo), I'd highly recommend watching Trafficked with Mariana van Zeller's episode on White Supremacy. Ending with the director of the FBI saying, "Eh, what are you gonna do - freedom" during a Congressional hearing is the icing on the cake. To see how this is all connected to international efforts and the tie to what's happening right now in Ukraine is kinda crazy. I'm not exactly sure when the episode originally aired, but I think it was December or early January of this year.

It provides some real insight into what's been happening and how they're a layered group using all kinds of techniques to attract new members. I have a feeling as we get closer to 2024, it's only going to get much, much worse as they'll have had almost a decade in America at that point, largely unchecked. Especially in light of the legit Nazi rallies that apparently happened in FL this weekend and the "flair' that was being promoted in Canada over the weekend.

This was the only clip I could find

malchior

Post by malchior »

This is 2nd time this has happened this month

Holman

Post by Holman »

malchior wrote: Mon Jan 31, 2022 4:26 pm This is 2nd time this has happened this month

The obvious suspects might be hardened neo-Nazis, but I can't help thinking of how the GOP and conservative media have been beating the drum to mainstream rabid opposition to Critical Race Theory.
Much prefer my Nazis Nuremberged.
malchior

Post by malchior »

13 (at least) today

LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

These absolutely need to be taken seriously but it very well could be one individual with phone numbers or email addresses sending baseless (but still criminal) threats.

It doesn't take much to make a bomb threat.
" Hey OP, listen to my advice alright." -Tha General
"No scientific discovery is named after its original discoverer." -Stigler's Law of Eponymy, discovered by Robert K. Merton

MYT