The Politics of Covid 19, mask wearing and the vaccination process

For discussion of religion and politics

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, $iljanus

LordMortis

Re: The Politics of Covid 19, mask wearing and the vaccination process

Post by LordMortis »

Octavious wrote: Fri Jan 21, 2022 11:34 am Uh did they arrest her? What in the holy hell is wrong with people? I'll never understand why people are so worked up about a mask that they think it's life or death. Oh wait it is.. :P

If you listen, she didn't threaten to shoot or kill. That was an inference to excite the twitter reader. She said guns loaded and then was cut off, it's very easy to say that's a figure of speech. If it were airport, I can see her being arrested no question asked. Sadly, in all too many cases, in a school, we don't treat that sort of speech as threats.
Octavious

Post by Octavious »

LordMortis wrote: Fri Jan 21, 2022 11:59 am
Octavious wrote: Fri Jan 21, 2022 11:34 am Uh did they arrest her? What in the holy hell is wrong with people? I'll never understand why people are so worked up about a mask that they think it's life or death. Oh wait it is.. :P

If you listen, she didn't threaten to shoot. That was an inference to excite the twitter reader. She said guns loaded and then was cut off, it's very easy to say that's a figure of speech. If it were airport, I can see her being arrested no question asked. Sadly, in all too many cases, in a school, we don't treat that sort of speech as threats.
Considering all the school shootings they have to do something. I legit think one of these f'n idiots will do something at some point. I hope she does keep her kids out of school. Obviously they won't end up being much use in society either.
Capitalism tries for a delicate balance: It attempts to work things out so that everyone gets just enough stuff to keep them from getting violent and trying to take other people’s stuff.

Shameless plug for my website: www.nettphoto.com
malchior

Post by malchior »

LordMortis wrote: Fri Jan 21, 2022 11:59 am

If you listen, she didn't threaten to shoot.
Technically correct but still wrong.
I will bring every single gun loaded and ready to...I will call every... (cut off)
That was an inference to excite the twitter reader. She said guns loaded and then was cut off, it's very easy to say that's a figure of speech.
Note she didn't quote that for a reason. She was just expounding on the obvious implication that any reasonable person will take to that statement.
If it were airport, I can see her being arrested no question asked. Sadly, in all too many cases, in a school, we don't treat that sort of speech as threats.
This makes no sense. You can't go to a meeting with anyone, anywhere, and say something isn't going to happen and then follow it up that you'll be ready with loaded weapons. What is the purpose of bringing a loaded gun to oppose something you say won't happen? That is a threat that will be taken very seriously nearly anywhere - even in this blasted land. I say this in all seriousness because it just happened to my wife. The police (and luckily her employer) took that sort of implicit threat of violence very seriously.
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

Right or wrong (it's wrong at schools but that's just me and 200,000,000 people who feel this way) people use "Guns loaded" "Loaded for Bear" "guns blazing" etc all of the time as expressions.
malchior

Post by malchior »

LordMortis wrote: Fri Jan 21, 2022 12:21 pm Right or wrong (it's wrong at schools but that's just me and 200,000,000 people who feel this way) people use "Guns loaded" "Loaded for Bear" "guns blazing" etc all of the time as expressions.
It's not the expression. It is the context.
YellowKing

Post by YellowKing »

I can tell you if a parent uttered the expression "guns loaded" at my wife's school, action would be taken. It may be dismissed as a figure of speech in some parts of the country, but here that would not fly.

I think they cut the woman off to save her from the trouble she was about to get herself into.
Octavious

Post by Octavious »

I think saying that she was going to bring loaded guns and see you on Monday is more than enough. I mean they will have to have police on site Monday unless they are insane. :tjg:
Capitalism tries for a delicate balance: It attempts to work things out so that everyone gets just enough stuff to keep them from getting violent and trying to take other people’s stuff.

Shameless plug for my website: www.nettphoto.com
Pyperkub

Post by Pyperkub »

I'm wondering about confirmation bias here, but dear lord, what a doozy:
Results

Of the study sample, 17.2% (N = 1842) indicated they were hesitant about having the vaccine. After adjustment for age, sex, and ethnicity, study members with a lower baseline cognition score were markedly more likely to be vaccine hesitant (odds ratio per standard deviation lower score in cognition; 95% confidence interval: 1.76; 1.62, 1.90). Adjustment for mental and physical health plus household shielding status had no impact on these results, whereas controlling for educational attainment led to partial attenuation but the probability of hesitancy was still elevated (1.52; 1.37, 1.67). There was a linear association for vaccine hesitancy across the full range of cognition scores (p for trend: p < 0.0001).
Black Lives definitely Matter Lorini!

Also: There are three ways to not tell the truth: lies, damned lies, and statistics.
Alefroth

Post by Alefroth »

YellowKing wrote: Fri Jan 21, 2022 2:03 pm I can tell you if a parent uttered the expression "guns loaded" at my wife's school, action would be taken. It may be dismissed as a figure of speech in some parts of the country, but here that would not fly.

I think they cut the woman off to save her from the trouble she was about to get herself into.
Same here. They did her a huge favor.
malchior

Post by malchior »

Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

I look forward to the inevitable Supreme Court case.
It's almost as if people are the problem.
Defiant

Post by Defiant »

Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

When I see stories like that, my immediate response is dark, and not terribly socially appropriate.
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

What's weird is she was apparently seen dining in NYC over the weekend and in order to do so, she would have needed to present COVID-19 vaccination documentation. So either she handed over fake paperwork or (hear me out) she's actually vaccinated and lying about it to her fan-base.
Maybe next year, maybe no go
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

Defiant wrote: Mon Jan 24, 2022 1:09 pm
She's in New York for some lawsuit or other and dined at Elio's. NYC has a vaccine mandate for dining. Either Elio's wasn't checking, in violation of city ordinance or Palin presented false proof of vaccination which I believe is a federal crime.

Edit: Smoove beat me to it and added the 3rd, and very possible option.
" Hey OP, listen to my advice alright." -Tha General
"No scientific discovery is named after its original discoverer." -Stigler's Law of Eponymy, discovered by Robert K. Merton

MYT
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

Blackhawk wrote: Mon Jan 24, 2022 5:00 pm When I see stories like that, my immediate response is dark, and not terribly socially appropriate.
She'll be fine. She gets the kitchen sink treatment.
"No scientific discovery is named after its original discoverer." -Stigler's Law of Eponymy, discovered by Robert K. Merton

MYT
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

So much dumb. Someone plz spoon feed them some common sense.

--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"
malchior

Post by malchior »

I'm glad this is blowing back into rolling back years of common sense public health measures.

dbt1949

Post by dbt1949 »

Why are people still getting shots?
I would have thought by this time everybody would have made up their minds one way or another. I find it hard to believe that somebody is just now making up their mind.
Ye Olde Farte
Double Ought Forty
aka dbt1949
Alefroth

Post by Alefroth »

Daehawk wrote: Mon Jan 24, 2022 6:46 pm So much dumb. Someone plz spoon feed them some common sense.

I think they'd be better served with critical thinking.
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

Neil Young Demands Spotify Remove His Music Over ‘False Information About Vaccines’

“They can have [Joe] Rogan or Young,” Neil Young wrote in a letter to his manager and label. “Not both”
Not sure if he can actually do that what with licensing and all, but good on him.

MYT
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

dbt1949 wrote: Mon Jan 24, 2022 7:35 pm Why are people still getting shots?
I would have thought by this time everybody would have made up their minds one way or another. I find it hard to believe that somebody is just now making up their mind.
There's a pretty decent number who won't fight a mandate but will only get it if mandated.

MYT
dbt1949

Post by dbt1949 »

In Fayetteville they're giving $100 cash to get your shots. Wish I had waited now. :?
Ye Olde Farte
Double Ought Forty
aka dbt1949
YellowKing

Post by YellowKing »

Yeah I despise those incentives. For those who do the right thing, nothing. Being a stubborn son of a bitch until you're bribed? Here's your reward!
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

YellowKing wrote: Tue Jan 25, 2022 3:49 pm Yeah I despise those incentives. For those who do the right thing, nothing. Being a stubborn son of a bitch until you're bribed? Here's your reward!
Eh, I'm OK with them.

MYT
ImLawBoy
Forum Admin

Post by ImLawBoy »

LawBeefaroni wrote: Tue Jan 25, 2022 3:59 pm
YellowKing wrote: Tue Jan 25, 2022 3:49 pm Yeah I despise those incentives. For those who do the right thing, nothing. Being a stubborn son of a bitch until you're bribed? Here's your reward!
Eh, I'm OK with them.
Whatever it takes to get folks vaccinated. I'm glad I got my vaccine as early as I could and would have paid an extra $100 for it. Plus, my oldest son got the bribe! (Although the gift card has yet to arrive in the mail . . . .)
That's my purse! I don't know you!
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

ImLawBoy wrote: Tue Jan 25, 2022 4:52 pm Whatever it takes to get folks vaccinated. I'm glad I got my vaccine as early as I could and would have paid an extra $100 for it. Plus, my oldest son got the bribe! (Although the gift card has yet to arrive in the mail . . . .)
I'm waiting for marching orders for shot number 4. I anticipate our "surge" has another two months+ to go and with all the talk about waning immunities and Omicron resistance the Pfizer vax, and my last shot was in August/September, I think... A couple days after Ralph Wiggum when he said immuno suppressed people were given the green light and he had already got his.
stessier

Post by stessier »

OSHA is withdrawing it's mandate and going about it through the Rule Making process. Given the likelihood that COVID is here long term, this is probably a good plan. But I suspect much tumult at my workplace when they learn of this.
But that doesn't mean OSHA is giving up entirely. In addition to the law that enables the agency to issue temporary emergency standards, Congress has given OSHA the statutory ability to set workplace safety standards through the standard federal rule-making process. This process involves publishing draft rules in the Federal Register, soliciting public feedback, and formulating a formal rule taking that feedback into account.

The process is much slower and will likely take most of the year to complete. But, critically, the language of the law enabling this process is completely different, so the recent court ruling will not apply to it. That's not to say that the same justices won't find different reasons to block the rule, just it's more likely to survive than the emergency standard, given the recent decision.

In the meantime, the OSHA's statement on the matter ends by noting the agency, "strongly encourages vaccination of workers against the continuing dangers posed by COVID-19 in the workplace."
I require a reminder as to why raining arcane destruction is not an appropriate response to all of life's indignities. - Vaarsuvius
Global Steam Wishmaslist Tracking
Running____2014: 1300.55 miles____2015: 2036.13 miles____2016: 1012.75 miles____2017: 1105.82 miles____2018: 1318.91 miles__2019: 2000.00 miles
malchior

Post by malchior »

stessier wrote: Tue Jan 25, 2022 5:23 pm OSHA is withdrawing it's mandate and going about it through the Rule Making process. Given the likelihood that COVID is here long term, this is probably a good plan.
Hard disagree. They withdrew it because the Supreme court is politicized and they have no path forward. This wasn't based on any science or any notion of good governance.
stessier

Post by stessier »

malchior wrote: Tue Jan 25, 2022 5:30 pm
stessier wrote: Tue Jan 25, 2022 5:23 pm OSHA is withdrawing it's mandate and going about it through the Rule Making process. Given the likelihood that COVID is here long term, this is probably a good plan.
Hard disagree. They withdrew it because the Supreme court is politicized. This wasn't based on any science or any notion of good governance.
I meant that it was a good plan to try using the Rule Making process in light of the fact the emergency use was ultimately dead in the water.
I require a reminder as to why raining arcane destruction is not an appropriate response to all of life's indignities. - Vaarsuvius
Running____2014: 1300.55 miles____2015: 2036.13 miles____2016: 1012.75 miles____2017: 1105.82 miles____2018: 1318.91 miles__2019: 2000.00 miles
malchior

Post by malchior »

stessier wrote: Tue Jan 25, 2022 5:31 pm
malchior wrote: Tue Jan 25, 2022 5:30 pm
Hard disagree. They withdrew it because the Supreme court is politicized. This wasn't based on any science or any notion of good governance.
I meant that it was a good plan to try using the Rule Making process in light of the fact the emergency use was ultimately dead in the water.
Ah, unfortunately that isn't likely to work either - in fact - the Supremes have been making all sort of noise about taking a bite out of rule making by chopping down Chevron.
stessier

Post by stessier »

We shall see.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

YellowKing wrote: Tue Jan 25, 2022 3:49 pm Yeah I despise those incentives. For those who do the right thing, nothing.
I got a year of not dying. Lots of stubborn sons of bitches can't say the same.
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)
YellowKing

Post by YellowKing »

I know the incentives are a necessary evil, it just sucks that people won't do the right thing at the right time. And I know, life isn't fair, blah blah blah. Doesn't mean I can't be annoyed by life's unfairness.
malchior

Post by malchior »

This guy was once called the pandemic's wrongest man by the Atlantic. I have to wonder if Pfizer/Moderna should be considering suing Foxnews like the Dominion did.

Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

If Oprah can be sued by the beef industry under a veggie libel law, maybe we can get a vaccine libel law.
It's almost as if people are the problem.
YellowKing

Post by YellowKing »

Tucker Carlson has to have the most "resting dumb face" on the planet.
stessier

Post by stessier »

Good luck Florida. Wish they had the rest of that exchange though.
Kurth

Post by Kurth »

That guy sounds like a dolt, but that’s a really, really stupid question: “Yes or no, do vaccines work when fighting a pandemic?”

WTF? What vaccine? What pandemic? In which patient groups?

That’s a stupid question from a stupid politician.
Just 'cause you feel it, doesn't mean it's there -- Radiohead
Do you believe me? Do you trust me? Do you like me? 😳