For discussion of religion and politics

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, $iljanus

LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Re: The Politics of Covid 19, mask wearing and the vaccination process

Post by LawBeefaroni »

Yeah, what he said.
" Hey OP, listen to my advice alright." -Tha General
"No scientific discovery is named after its original discoverer." -Stigler's Law of Eponymy, discovered by Robert K. Merton

MYT
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Every day of my life since March of 2020. Every day.

Enlarge Image
Maybe next year, maybe no go
Kasey Chang

Post by Kasey Chang »

We have had proof that mask in schools decreases spread of COVID back in 2020. It's just the antivaxxers and antimaskers decided they can IGNORE the evidence.

UrgencyofNormal (antiCDC propaganda) website posted this as of Feb 2022 in its attempt to push all the kids back to class, vaccinated or not, preferably without masks:

But what the study REALLY SAID was:
The 21% lower incidence in schools that required mask use among students was not statistically significant compared with schools where mask use was optional. This finding might be attributed to higher effectiveness of masks among adults, who are at higher risk for SARS-CoV-2 infection but might also result from differences in mask-wearing behavior among students in schools with optional requirements. Mask use requirements were limited in this sample; 65.1% of schools required teacher and staff member mask use and approximately one half (51.5%) required student mask use. Because universal and correct use of masks can reduce SARS-CoV-2 transmission (6) and is a relatively low-cost and easily implemented strategy, findings in this report suggest universal and correct mask use is an important COVID-19 prevention strategy in schools as part of a multicomponent approach
In other words, the antimaskers read "not statistically significant" and stopped reading. It's NOT statistically significant because the "mask optional" schools don't have ANY stats on who did mask and who did not. It's simply "not comparable". They chose to interpret that as "masking did nothing", ignoring the actual conclusion of the study.
My game FAQs | Playing: She Will Punish Them, Sunrider: Mask of Arcadius, The Outer Worlds
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

LawBeefaroni wrote: Wed Sep 07, 2022 12:47 pm Even if you are hanging it all on the BA.5 booster, wouldn't you want to wait until people had the BA.5 booster? Preferably then plus 2 weeks?
One more week, bizatches! My left shoulder is only slightly warm to the touch now. It's no longer radiating enough heat to trigger my AC. I'm almost ready to venture out and do things... Almost!!!
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

It's Friday, so more gloom and doom from me. :D

New details on why the WH shut down http://CovidTests.gov: Health officials estimated they'd need at least 800M tests to respond to an Omicron-like winter surge.

But at current pace, projections showed the govt running out of tests by *October.*
So here's the deal - or at least, my interpretation of what's about to happen. The federal government (then states, then locals) are gambling that Fall and Winter of 2023 aren't going to be bad. In fact, they're gambling that it'll be our best pandemic winter yet because how could it be any worse than what Omicron did during the Winter of 2021 into early 2022?

If testing is part of your routine - you use tests to socialize or monitor yourself after a potential exposure because of your own health or you're worried about others you are with (household, elder family members, etc...) start grabbing extra test kits *now*. Have your insurance (hopefully) pay for them. Use FSA money to acquire them. Don't hoard (I'm not saying to hoard them at all), I'm just saying if some of the projections are correct, we're in for it again and the availability of home test kits at retail might become scarce again as we get closer to December.
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

But if we can't find tests, that just means we don't have to test and therefore case counts drop and everything's peachy keen!
malchior

Post by malchior »

Zaxxon wrote: Fri Sep 09, 2022 10:36 am But if we can't find tests, that just means we don't have to test and therefore case counts drop and everything's peachy keen!
Luckily that problem has already been solved too! We don't need to care about case counts. It no longer should influence decision making and there are apparently no long-term risks to worry about.
stessier

Post by stessier »

Yeah, you are assuming people are still going to test when they get sick. Around here, they aren't home testing. If they are sick enough to think it might be COVID - and they'd have to be really, really sick - they go to the doctor who gives them a PCR.
I require a reminder as to why raining arcane destruction is not an appropriate response to all of life's indignities. - Vaarsuvius
Global Steam Wishmaslist Tracking
Running____2014: 1300.55 miles____2015: 2036.13 miles____2016: 1012.75 miles____2017: 1105.82 miles____2018: 1318.91 miles__2019: 2000.00 miles
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

I really don't know what to expect anymore. Using the current thinking tests should be in the $1 discount bin because no one cares and no one is testing - so running out shouldn't be a problem. I have never been so confused in my whole life, quite frankly. Nothing makes sense anymore. I've spent the last three days soaking in the social media reaction to this:

Enlarge Image

There's no way anyone with public health communication skills or knowledge created that. Or approved it. And yet, NYC rolled them out with the *quickness* on Wednesday.

Read about it here. Again, surreal - until you realize Hochul is pandering for election in November. This updated one is my favorite:

Enlarge Image
Last edited by Smoove_B on Fri Sep 09, 2022 10:46 am, edited 1 time in total.
Zarathud

Post by Zarathud »

The Republicans are resisting the budget appropriations for COVID. They want remaining funds to be reallocated, but really they want to force Biden’s hand. They’ll take the gamble because they never believed in COVID, and they’ll pin any surge on Biden.
"If the facts don't fit the theory, change the facts." - Albert Einstein
"I don't stand by anything." - Trump
“Bad men need nothing more to compass their ends, than that good men should look on and do nothing.” - John Stuart Mill, Inaugural Address Delivered to the University of St Andrews, 2/1/1867
“It is the impractical things in this tumultuous hell-scape of a world that matter most. A book, a name, chicken soup. They help us remember that, even in our darkest hour, life is still to be savored.” - Poe, Altered Carbon
malchior

Post by malchior »

stessier

Post by stessier »

At Walgreens to get my shot, they don't have any of the info for my appointment or anyone else who is in line with me. I fortunately had my confirmation number and a picture of my Covid card, so I can still get it, but many people are leaving frustrated. So odd - they have the shots, just give them out!
I require a reminder as to why raining arcane destruction is not an appropriate response to all of life's indignities. - Vaarsuvius
Running____2014: 1300.55 miles____2015: 2036.13 miles____2016: 1012.75 miles____2017: 1105.82 miles____2018: 1318.91 miles__2019: 2000.00 miles
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

stessier wrote: Fri Sep 09, 2022 12:30 pm At Walgreens to get my shot, they don't have any of the info for my appointment or anyone else who is in line with me. I fortunately had my confirmation number and a picture of my Covid card, so I can still get it, but many people are leaving frustrated. So odd - they have the shots, just give them out!
Unofficially I've been reading a lot of people commenting on social media that the major pharmacy chains are dropping appointments when there are any issues at all with your insurance information. To be clear, all shots should be free but when they're running your insurance info for processing (to get credit/reimbursement from the feds) if it kicks back or doesn't get processed for technical reasons, they have just been dropping the appointment rather than asking you to manually provide that information at the point of service.

This is why we can't have nice things.
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

stessier wrote: Fri Sep 09, 2022 12:30 pm At Walgreens to get my shot, they don't have any of the info for my appointment or anyone else who is in line with me. I fortunately had my confirmation number and a picture of my Covid card, so I can still get it, but many people are leaving frustrated. So odd - they have the shots, just give them out!
That's annoying. My Walgreens appointment was weird; too. They had the wrong last name for me (even though when I look at my Walgreens account profile it's correct) but gave me the shot anyway. They also had only one guy doing the shots and all the prep for those shots, so it was a pace of about one person every 10 minutes. Which was insufficient for the # of appts they had taken.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

malchior wrote: Fri Sep 09, 2022 12:21 pm article
“Our job is to make [the vaccine] available. And then people can do what they want.”

RIP my entire field
stessier

Post by stessier »

Zaxxon wrote: Fri Sep 09, 2022 12:33 pm
That's annoying. My Walgreens appointment was weird; too. They had the wrong last name for me (even though when I look at my Walgreens account profile it's correct) but gave me the shot anyway. They also had only one guy doing the shots and all the prep for those shots, so it was a pace of about one person every 10 minutes. Which was insufficient for the # of appts they had taken.
Same for me - one person and as far as I can tell, it is the pharmacist himself. One shot every ten minutes is right too, although the appointments are every 15 minutes, so at least that part is well planned.
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

stessier wrote: Fri Sep 09, 2022 12:39 pm One shot every ten minutes is right too, although the appointments are every 15 minutes, so at least that part is well planned.
Maybe mine was skewed by having people show up early or something. When I got there 1 min early, there were 3 ahead of me checked in and waiting, and then 4 more behind me by the time I got my shot around a half-hour after I arrived.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

I always have a semi confrontation to get my shot at Walgreens. Nothing bad but they try to tell me I dont qualify sometimes and yet I do. I end up showing my shot card and they go ahead and give me the newest one. Once I forgot my shot card totally and strangely that visit was the easiest lol.
--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"
stessier

Post by stessier »

Bivalence acquired! I'm assuming this means I'll be there first on my block with access to 6G.
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

Smoove_B wrote: Fri Sep 09, 2022 12:31 pm
Unofficially I've been reading a lot of people commenting on social media that the major pharmacy chains are dropping appointments when there are any issues at all with your insurance information. To be clear, all shots should be free but when they're running your insurance info for processing (to get credit/reimbursement from the feds) if it kicks back or doesn't get processed for technical reasons, they have just been dropping the appointment rather than asking you to manually provide that information at the point of service.

This is why we can't have nice things.
CVS I went to on day one was empty of shot takers but they were turning away walk ins. Shots ready. Appointment slots open. People not giving shots. No appointment. No service. It seemed apparent this was not a pharmacy decision but rather a CVS decision.
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

stessier wrote: Fri Sep 09, 2022 12:55 pm Bivalence acquired! I'm assuming this means I'll be there first on my block with access to 6G.
I heard that this time it's got something to do with stable diffusion.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

LordMortis wrote: Fri Sep 09, 2022 1:08 pm CVS I went to on day one was empty of shot takers but they were turning away walk ins. Shots ready. Appointment slots open. People not giving shots. No appointment. No service. It seemed apparent this was not a pharmacy decision but rather a CVS decision.
This is exactly why people are nervous about the corporatization of public health. Not once - never - have I ever been part of a public health clinic of any kind where we turned someone away. If you show up and you need a test or a vaccine, it's yours regardless of your ability to pay. We take basic information for follow up purposes and provide it - end of story. It's unthinkable to operate in the way corporate chains are and claim to be part of public health infrastructure.
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

Smoove_B wrote: Fri Sep 09, 2022 1:12 pm It's unthinkable to operate in the way corporate chains are and claim to be part of public health infrastructure.
Hey friend, I'm here to introduce you to your worst enemy, capitalism.

I was going to say "our mutual enemy" but working for a company that makes billions off consumerism, I guess that would be rude. An enemy of society? Yeah, but maybe a little less me specifically.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
ImLawBoy
Forum Admin

Post by ImLawBoy »

Smoove_B wrote: Fri Sep 09, 2022 1:12 pm
LordMortis wrote: Fri Sep 09, 2022 1:08 pm CVS I went to on day one was empty of shot takers but they were turning away walk ins. Shots ready. Appointment slots open. People not giving shots. No appointment. No service. It seemed apparent this was not a pharmacy decision but rather a CVS decision.
This is exactly why people are nervous about the corporatization of public health. Not once - never - have I ever been part of a public health clinic of any kind where we turned someone away. If you show up and you need a test or a vaccine, it's yours regardless of your ability to pay. We take basic information for follow up purposes and provide it - end of story. It's unthinkable to operate in the way corporate chains are and claim to be part of public health infrastructure.
I've gotten a flu shot at CVS in the before times, and an appointment was required then. Of course, if you hadn't scheduled an appointment they gave you a QR code to scan to make an appointment for right then. Seemed silly, but I figured it helped them with record keeping. Not sure why they can't do something like for this.
That's my purse! I don't know you!
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Hey friend, I'm here to introduce you to your worst enemy, capitalism.

I was going to say "our mutual enemy" but working for a company that makes billions off consumerism, I guess that would be rude. An enemy of society? Yeah, but maybe a little less me specifically.
I know I shouldn't be this naive after 25 years in the field and especially 2.5+ years into this pandemic, but really.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

ImLawBoy wrote: Fri Sep 09, 2022 1:49 pm I've gotten a flu shot at CVS in the before times, and an appointment was required then. Of course, if you hadn't scheduled an appointment they gave you a QR code to scan to make an appointment for right then. Seemed silly, but I figured it helped them with record keeping. Not sure why they can't do something like for this.
Yeah, I always registered online for my stuff in the before times as well. For my appointment last weekend they wanted me to "check in" when I arrived - they texted me a link. Not sure how walk-ins would be handled for other stuff. I did feel like the pharmacist was less than thrilled to be providing COVID-19 vaccines, but I chalked it up to me being the last appointment for the day. Maybe nationwide they're just also tired of it all as well (on the whole). When they gave the power to pharmacists to vaccinate, I don't think they (pharmacists) ever believed they'd be front-line workers for outbreak / pandemic response. Instead, it was just a way to be competitive with a local doctor's office - why go there and pay lots of money to wait around for a shot when you can just "walk in" and get the same one with us? Could really be an unintended consequences thing unfolding over the last 2+ years...
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

Theres a lot of mandatory record keeping required with any vaccination. Even moreso with COVID vaccines. Having an appointment/check-in makes it manageable.
"No scientific discovery is named after its original discoverer." -Stigler's Law of Eponymy, discovered by Robert K. Merton

MYT
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

This weekend Wife and I met up with all four of our best friends for the first time in years. We've been zooming regularly, but here we were, hugging and hanging out together. Only one of the six of us hasn't had covid. Two who are health care professionals think they had it twice (once Delta, once Omicron) but they tested negative on home tests (which they don't put much stock in) and didn't bother with PCR tests because it was evident to them that they had covid, being routinely exposed as they were.

When we were sitting around a campfire I prefaced some statement with "Ever since we all agreed to pretend that the pandemic is over..." which made my doctor friend laugh and laugh.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

First US death due to monkeypox confirmed in Los Angeles County

Hope they sanitize the seats in theaters...dont need killer blisters.
--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Sure, it's notable but...
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

More victory!!!

Jacinda Ardern has declared it “time to safely turn the page” on New Zealand’s Covid-19 restrictions, scrapping all but a handful of remaining rules.

New Zealand, which once eliminated the virus through the toughest pandemic rules in the world, has made relaxations similar to Australian or European conditions.

MYT
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

She has been A++ this entire time. That announcement...gives me pause.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

This is beyond offensive.

The New York State Department of Health is no longer requiring schools to report COVID-19 cases and has shut down the statewide data tracker for schools.
ImLawBoy
Forum Admin

Post by ImLawBoy »

Pandemic's over. The moose out front should've told you.
That's my purse! I don't know you!
Zarathud

Post by Zarathud »

I’m not sure if Gov. Pritzker will renew the Illinois COVID orders that expire tomorrow. It’s possible they’ll be buried at the end of day, as he’s in a re-election campaign.
"If the facts don't fit the theory, change the facts." - Albert Einstein
"I don't stand by anything." - Trump
“Bad men need nothing more to compass their ends, than that good men should look on and do nothing.” - John Stuart Mill, Inaugural Address Delivered to the University of St Andrews, 2/1/1867
“It is the impractical things in this tumultuous hell-scape of a world that matter most. A book, a name, chicken soup. They help us remember that, even in our darkest hour, life is still to be savored.” - Poe, Altered Carbon
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

I would not count on any precaution orders anywhere to be renewed at this point.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Chicago has been at the vanguard of innovative public health (imho) over the last decade. If they're not going to push for Covid protections and monitoring, there's no hope anywhere.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

I was waiting for the dust to settle a bit, but this set of tweets is still making the rounds, commenting on a NYT observational article shared earlier:

New York Theatres may introduce mask only performances for the many who don't want to get Covid from paying hard earned money to see a performance. “We just realized that there really is an audience out there that is not being served.” Finally, this is what we've been saying for ages: it's bad business to get rid of masks entirely. While the article poses this as a lose-lose situation 'some won't go if masks, some won't go without' thing, the reality is that those who do want masks usually far outweigh those who do not. And frankly, if somebody is refusing to mask, then it likely means they'll be more than happy to bring Covid into your theatre and then everyone gets sick, money is lost as staff, actors etc, all need time out: and some won;t ever return: which is yet another loss...
Of note:
This is smart business: a mask only policy at many leading musical theatres:

Protecting not just theatre goers, but also the performers...
It's interesting because it's reinforcing an observation I'd made early on about the NBA and the NFL - the recognition that these individuals are not easily replaceable so everything possible must be done to protect them. It's an open secret that film and TV show productions are operating the same way right now - though no one talks about it. Instead, the people in charge are acknowledging they're going to need to elevate mitigations to keep people safe because that's the only way they're going to make money.

Whereas for the average American, they're viewed as easily replaceable cannon fodder, so little to no mitigations are in place. Get sick? Can't work? No problem, we'll hire someone else.

Hell, I was reading yesterday that there's a zoo (I think in Canada?) that is still requiring visitors wear masks when visiting the great ape enclosure. People are happy to wear masks to protect zoo animals but fellow human beings? F that.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

And with that, I think I'm officially done for tonight. Better days tomorrow.

Biden’s declaration tonight that “the pandemic is over” was not part of his initial planned remarks and caught several of his own health officials by surprise, per 2 sources
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Well, I'm glad that's over.
It's almost as if people are the problem.