The Politics of Covid 19, mask wearing and the vaccination process

For discussion of religion and politics

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, $iljanus

noxiousdog

Re: The Politics of Covid 19, mask wearing and the vaccination process

Post by noxiousdog »

LawBeefaroni wrote: Thu Nov 11, 2021 11:34 am For shot #2 it took about 24 hours to get severe flu-like symptoms that lasted 12 hours or so. Knocked me on my ass.

I got my booster yesterday and the onset was much quicker, like 4 hours and I was out again for 10-12 hours. Still feel like shit (sore arm, headache) but didn't get a fever.
3 of us got boosters along with flu shots this week and only one of us had bad symptoms. The two ladies had some lymph node swelling, and one was painful.
Black Lives Matter

"To wield Grond, the mighty hammer of the Federal Government, is to be intoxicated with power beyond what you and I can reckon (though I figure we can ball park it pretty good with computers and maths). Need to tunnel through a mountain? Grond. Kill a mighty ogre? Grond. Hangnail? Grond. Spider? Grond (actually, that's a legit use, moreso than the rest)." - Peacedog
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

noxiousdog wrote: Thu Nov 11, 2021 11:45 am
LawBeefaroni wrote: Thu Nov 11, 2021 11:34 am For shot #2 it took about 24 hours to get severe flu-like symptoms that lasted 12 hours or so. Knocked me on my ass.

I got my booster yesterday and the onset was much quicker, like 4 hours and I was out again for 10-12 hours. Still feel like shit (sore arm, headache) but didn't get a fever.
3 of us got boosters along with flu shots this week and only one of us had bad symptoms. The two ladies had some lymph node swelling, and one was painful.
I'm going with the theory that a stronger reaction means badass immune system. True or not, makes me feel better.
:horse:
" Hey OP, listen to my advice alright." -Tha General
"No scientific discovery is named after its original discoverer." -Stigler's Law of Eponymy, discovered by Robert K. Merton

MYT
noxiousdog

Post by noxiousdog »

LawBeefaroni wrote: Thu Nov 11, 2021 11:58 am
noxiousdog wrote: Thu Nov 11, 2021 11:45 am

I'm going with the theory that a stronger reaction means badass immune system. True or not, makes me feel better.
:horse:
That was my shot #2 theory when I was asleep for 12 daytime hours :)
Black Lives Matter

"To wield Grond, the mighty hammer of the Federal Government, is to be intoxicated with power beyond what you and I can reckon (though I figure we can ball park it pretty good with computers and maths). Need to tunnel through a mountain? Grond. Kill a mighty ogre? Grond. Hangnail? Grond. Spider? Grond (actually, that's a legit use, moreso than the rest)." - Peacedog
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

Remus West wrote: Thu Nov 11, 2021 11:44 am Two days ago I stopped and helped a guy push his car out of traffic because he had run out of gas and was pushing it alone. Two other people also stopped and helped and we easily moved the car. Rather than leaving feeling warm from a sense of community and good about helping I left wondering about their vaccination status and if I'd been near enough long enough to be at risk of bringing crap home to my unvaccinated daughter (who gets her shot in two weeks because that was the soonest we could get in - which is a good thing because that means a LOT of people are scheduling their children).
That exact thing (minus the daughter part) happened to me happened to me in autumn of 2020 before I was vaccinated and before we had a clear understanding of transmission. It also exposed what poor shape I am in. Just pushing a car with three other people down a road long enough to pass out of intersection past a convenience store parking lot was enough to knock me on my ass. Knowing how heavy I was breathing I was wondering if this was exposure to someone I had to worry about. The fear of exposure had me almost turn away as I am wont to do. :oops:
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

I'm going with the theory that no reaction means that you have a bad ass immune system that's already on top of this Covid stuff even before the vaccine showed up.
Black Lives Matter.
YellowKing

Post by YellowKing »

El Guapo wrote:I'm going with the theory that no reaction means that you have a bad ass immune system that's already on top of this Covid stuff even before the vaccine showed up.
That's my theory as well :D

I had almost no reaction from the vaccine (side note, I did take an Ibuprofen after, but that was more precautionary than because I had to).

I *feel* like I have a strong immune system, because typically I dodge whatever crap the kids and wife bring home. Or at worst I get a glancing blow that gives me symptoms only 1/4 as severe and lengthy. I've never had a reaction (other than arm soreness) from the flu vaccine either.

Incidentally my neighbor informed the other day that he has no plans on getting the vaccine because his O-positive blood made him immune. So there's that.
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

El Guapo wrote: Thu Nov 11, 2021 12:25 pm I'm going with the theory that no reaction means that you have a bad ass immune system that's already on top of this Covid stuff even before the vaccine showed up.
As someone on immunosuppressants and did his booster a bit ago. I am assuming the opposite. That little reaction is precisely why they had me get a booster over the summer and the slowly increasing reaction is a good thing. That's the lie I'm telling myself anyway. No flu symptoms of fever for me. Just tired (which is my state anyway) and a headache. The third shot did set my arm to blaze for like a week though. You could feel the heat off my arm from like six inches away.
El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

YellowKing wrote: Thu Nov 11, 2021 12:47 pm
El Guapo wrote:I'm going with the theory that no reaction means that you have a bad ass immune system that's already on top of this Covid stuff even before the vaccine showed up.
That's my theory as well :D

I had almost no reaction from the vaccine (side note, I did take an Ibuprofen after, but that was more precautionary than because I had to).

I *feel* like I have a strong immune system, because typically I dodge whatever crap the kids and wife bring home. Or at worst I get a glancing blow that gives me symptoms only 1/4 as severe and lengthy. I've never had a reaction (other than arm soreness) from the flu vaccine either.

Incidentally my neighbor informed the other day that he has no plans on getting the vaccine because his O-positive blood made him immune. So there's that.
My general thing is that I rarely get sick, and when I do it rarely lasts long (usually clears up in less than 24 hours), BUT whenever I get anything in my chest I get congestion that lasts like 4 - 8 weeks and is incredibly annoying.

I guess I don't know how that relates to covid exactly, but the rarely get sick part is encouraging at least.
Black Lives Matter.
stessier

Post by stessier »

My company is paying for the weekly testing for the employees who go that route under the OSHA mandate. Not thrilled with that at all.
I require a reminder as to why raining arcane destruction is not an appropriate response to all of life's indignities. - Vaarsuvius
Global Steam Wishmaslist Tracking
Running____2014: 1300.55 miles____2015: 2036.13 miles____2016: 1012.75 miles____2017: 1105.82 miles____2018: 1318.91 miles__2019: 2000.00 miles
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

stessier wrote: Thu Nov 11, 2021 1:45 pm My company is paying for the weekly testing for the employees who go that route under the OSHA mandate. Not thrilled with that at all.
Yeah, that's a load of horseshit, for sure.
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

stessier wrote: Thu Nov 11, 2021 1:45 pm My company is paying for the weekly testing for the employees who go that route under the OSHA mandate. Not thrilled with that at all.
I wouldn't be either. I'm normally the guy who convinces himself "everyone has their own arrangement" but this is going to OSHA for a good reason and now my coworkers would have resources to unnecessarily go to them so they can be unnecessary health hazards in the office? Fuck that shit. I've long since held contempt for people who show up to the office sick and loudly expressed my disdain for what open office formats do to the general health of the office environment.
Pyperkub

Post by Pyperkub »

stessier wrote:My company is paying for the weekly testing for the employees who go that route under the OSHA mandate. Not thrilled with that at all.
Probably cheaper than getting sued.
Black Lives definitely Matter Lorini!

Also: There are three ways to not tell the truth: lies, damned lies, and statistics.
Kasey Chang

Post by Kasey Chang »

Just orders halt to Texas mask mandate ban, claiming ban violated disabled students' access to public education by denying them protection against COVID-19.
“Governor Abbott’s executive order clearly violates federal law, and Attorney General Paxton’s enforcement of the order against school districts is now stopped," Kym Davis Johnson of Disability Rights Texas said in a statement. “As the court found, Texas is not above federal law, and state officials cannot prevent school districts from providing accommodations to students who are especially vulnerable to the risks of COVID-19.”
My game FAQs | Playing: She Will Punish Them, Sunrider: Mask of Arcadius, The Outer Worlds
stessier

Post by stessier »

Pyperkub wrote: Thu Nov 11, 2021 2:57 pm
stessier wrote:My company is paying for the weekly testing for the employees who go that route under the OSHA mandate. Not thrilled with that at all.
Probably cheaper than getting sued.
For what? The rule specifically says the company does not have to pay for the testing.
I require a reminder as to why raining arcane destruction is not an appropriate response to all of life's indignities. - Vaarsuvius
Running____2014: 1300.55 miles____2015: 2036.13 miles____2016: 1012.75 miles____2017: 1105.82 miles____2018: 1318.91 miles__2019: 2000.00 miles
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

My arm is a little sore from my 3rd shot. Bout it. Same as the other two. Walgreens. Was 6 months to the day.
Last edited by Daehawk on Fri Nov 12, 2021 12:41 am, edited 1 time in total.
--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

stessier wrote: Thu Nov 11, 2021 3:22 pm For what? The rule specifically says the company does not have to pay for the testing.
They must be super-worried that people are going to quit and that they'll be irreplaceable. Are they saying 2x tests a week?

My wife's employer is still dragging their feet and will not implement a policy ahead of the official ruling (and lawsuits). White collar office work. Absolutely disgusting.
Maybe next year, maybe no go
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

CVS won't let me make a booster appointment until my 6-month anniversary, the first week in December. I have no Thanksgiving plans (as usual) so that's fine.

I was feeling slightly coviddy earlier today, but my temperature is still normal and my potential exposure was just last Sunday, so I'm probably imagining it. The coughing and fatigue were probably from raking for 2.5 hours.
stessier

Post by stessier »

Smoove_B wrote: Thu Nov 11, 2021 11:20 pm Are they saying 2x tests a week?
1x per week.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

My arm is a good bit more sore this morning with a little knot on it. Its already as sore or more so than my sorest one from the first two shots. Those were given by the same girl . This one was given by a man and he seemed to jab me further back on my arm towards the tricep muscle. I also made it more difficult because I went there straight from a funeral and had a long sleeve shirt on and had to stretch my collar out down over the top of my arm for him to jab. Always hurts more when they go further back on the arm. But other than that I cant tell I got a shot...same as the first two. Feel fine.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

California has decided to open boosters to everyone as the state-level response to the pandemic continues. I'm not against this (it seems pretty clear that a booster is likely universally needed for everyone), but it's adding to the confusion and inequity. Read more about it here:
Centers for Disease Control and Prevention Director Rochelle Walensky has expressed caution about making extra shots so broadly available now, according to several officials familiar with the situation who spoke on the condition of anonymity to discuss internal deliberations. As a result, tension is rising among officials over how quickly to proceed and who should get the shots.

The debate comes at a critical time for the Biden administration, with top advisers growing increasingly fearful the country could slide backward into a fifth pandemic wave amid colder weather and declining vaccine protection. Eager for the president to push his economic agenda, many aides see expanding booster access as a way to backstop progress against the highly transmissible delta variant. Allies also see defeating the pandemic as critical to Democrats’ success in next year’s midterm elections.
There's pretty strong evidence we're headed for another bad winter and having people that need a booster (because they're 8+ months from their last shot) is going to hit at the same time as another winter surge. Not good.
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

FWIW, Colorado did the same thing.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

I see that now. Crazy times.
Colorado has experienced rising numbers of new COVID-19 infections and hospitalizations in recent weeks. The state’s seven-day average for positive COVID-19 tests is at 9.93%, the highest mark of 2021. As of Wednesday, 95% of Colorado’s ICU beds are in use, more than at any other point during the pandemic.

“Because disease spread is so significant across Colorado, all Coloradans (ages 18+) qualify for a booster,” Jessica Bralish, a spokeswoman for the Colorado Department of Public Health and Environment, said in a statement Tuesday. “With an estimated 1 in 48 Coloradans infected, it is likely that all Coloradans can be exposed to COVID-19 where they live or work.”
Definitely makes sense to me. Imagine that - using data to make decisions.
geezer

Post by geezer »

Smoove_B wrote: Fri Nov 12, 2021 11:18 am California has decided to open boosters to everyone as the state-level response to the pandemic continues. I'm not against this (it seems pretty clear that a booster is likely universally needed for everyone), but it's adding to the confusion and inequity. Read more about it here:
Centers for Disease Control and Prevention Director Rochelle Walensky has expressed caution about making extra shots so broadly available now, according to several officials familiar with the situation who spoke on the condition of anonymity to discuss internal deliberations. As a result, tension is rising among officials over how quickly to proceed and who should get the shots.

The debate comes at a critical time for the Biden administration, with top advisers growing increasingly fearful the country could slide backward into a fifth pandemic wave amid colder weather and declining vaccine protection. Eager for the president to push his economic agenda, many aides see expanding booster access as a way to backstop progress against the highly transmissible delta variant. Allies also see defeating the pandemic as critical to Democrats’ success in next year’s midterm elections.
There's pretty strong evidence we're headed for another bad winter and having people that need a booster (because they're 8+ months from their last shot) is going to hit at the same time as another winter surge. Not good.
I got boosted yesterday. Honestly I have a hard time getting worked up about inequity here when appointments are readily available, vaccines are not in short supply and we're still working on clamping down on the spread. If we were gathering up surplus doses to send to other more needy nations or even underserved communities here in the USA I might feel differently, but there doesn't seem to be any desire or methodology in place to reassign these "priveleged" doses to anyone that needs them more.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

geezer wrote: Fri Nov 12, 2021 11:53 am I got boosted yesterday. Honestly I have a hard time getting worked up about inequity here when appointments are readily available, vaccines are not in short supply and we're still working on clamping down on the spread. If we were gathering up surplus doses to send to other more needy nations or even underserved communities here in the USA I might feel differently, but there doesn't seem to be any desire or methodology in place to reassign these "priveleged" doses to anyone that needs them more.
The inequity element is layered and so much of it is connected to accessibility and outreach. Take for example where I live. Having a car is arguably necessary to do anything as mass transit isn't an option. For me, driving to a county site or to a pharmacy wasn't an issue, but for some I'm sure it was. Old school public health is setting up clinics or vaccination centers and telling everyone where they will be, expecting the public will show up. It's only the more modern practitioners that are organizing pop-up clinics or have access to mobile clinics to get things done.

None of that address the militant anti-vax, but there are definitely still access issues. And for some, it was (still is) an information issue - which is why the door to door campaign was so important. They're also trying to organize vaccination clinics at schools here in NJ, but as you can imagine that's potentially problematic - which is completely opposite of how it was during polio summer in the 1950s.

Getting doses manufactured and distributed globally is connected, but it's not a straight line. It's another (important) issue that needs to be addressed as well, but global health isn't my bag.
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Re: The Politics of Covid 19, mask wearing and the vI walked Onaccination process

Post by LawBeefaroni »

I walked in to get my booster on Wednesday. Took me 5 minutes. I didn't have VIP access, I went in the regular walk-in line that includes first and second shots. And I say "line" but there wasn't one. All shots are free and this is a safety net hospital accessible by public transit.

I get that someone downstate or across the country or in India may not have access to vaccinations but if boosters are possible for a certain demographic and is available, they shouldn't be held up because of global logistical shortcomings.
"No scientific discovery is named after its original discoverer." -Stigler's Law of Eponymy, discovered by Robert K. Merton

MYT
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

:?

Less than 500 doses of the Pfizer vaccine has been administered to Alabama children ages five to 11
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

That's because they're all doing Moderna and J&J, right?
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

Smoove_B wrote: Fri Nov 12, 2021 4:07 pm :?

Less than 500 doses of the Pfizer vaccine has been administered to Alabama children ages five to 11
Pretty sure we did more than that yesterday at our one walk-in clinic. We'll do it again today. CPS had both days off.

Which gets back to the point, should we be holding off on boosters because parents on Alabama are...misinformed?

Also:

Enlarge Image

MYT
Kasey Chang

Post by Kasey Chang »

Daehawk wrote: Fri Nov 12, 2021 9:33 am My arm is a good bit more sore this morning with a little knot on it. Its already as sore or more so than my sorest one from the first two shots. Those were given by the same girl . This one was given by a man and he seemed to jab me further back on my arm towards the tricep muscle. I also made it more difficult because I went there straight from a funeral and had a long sleeve shirt on and had to stretch my collar out down over the top of my arm for him to jab. Always hurts more when they go further back on the arm. But other than that I cant tell I got a shot...same as the first two. Feel fine.
FWIW, there's a type of vaccine injury called SIRVA... due to bad injection technique. :)
My game FAQs | Playing: She Will Punish Them, Sunrider: Mask of Arcadius, The Outer Worlds
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

hehe ew thats bad stuff that is. Nope Im good as my arm is barely sore tonight. It will either be gone by tomorrow(the soreness not the arm) or it will be worse again in the morning. Shall see which it is.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Michelle got her third Moderna today, made eligible because of her hospital job. I'm envious. I could probably find a justification to get a third myself, but in my experience if you have to try to justify something, it isn't justified. I'll just wait until Indiana opens them up for all - but I'll be first in line when they do, and my kids will be right there with me.
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)
gbasden

Post by gbasden »

Smoove_B wrote: Thu Nov 11, 2021 11:20 pm
stessier wrote: Thu Nov 11, 2021 3:22 pm For what? The rule specifically says the company does not have to pay for the testing.
They must be super-worried that people are going to quit and that they'll be irreplaceable. Are they saying 2x tests a week?

My wife's employer is still dragging their feet and will not implement a policy ahead of the official ruling (and lawsuits). White collar office work. Absolutely disgusting.
I'm so glad my employer doesn't mess around. Vaccines are required to be anywhere near the office and we must wear masks.
stessier

Post by stessier »

I don't know if it's part of the OSHA rule or part of my business trying to offer a carrot, but there is talk of allowing people who are vaccinated to get out of masks regardless of community spread. While unwise, imo, this is a huge carrot in our rather athletic manufacturing environment.
Ralph-Wiggum

Post by Ralph-Wiggum »

LordMortis wrote:That's because they're all doing Moderna and J&J, right?
This probably was a joke, but if not: no. Only Pfizer currently has approval for 5 - 11 year olds.
Black Lives Matter

Post by Default »

My ex has friends in Alabama and and they gave the ol' "my condolences" when she told them she got vaccinated. She was flabbergasted when she heard that.
You hang around with ignorant assholes, babes. You always have, and you have never understood what jerks they are.

I got my Pfizer booster, because I had the J&J. I rolled that in with the shingles, flu and pneumonia jabs too, because I am macho.
"pcp, lsd, thc, tgb...it's all good." ~ Kraken
msteelers

The Politics of Covid 19, mask wearing and the vaccination process

Post by msteelers »

I’m sitting waiting to get the Pfizer booster after getting the J&J back in May. I had fallen out of the loop a bit on boosters and didn’t realize until Friday that the CDC was recommending everyone 18+ who got the J&J should get a booster, not just those at higher risk. And after just two months too, not 6.

Sadly, as expected it wasn’t difficult to find an appointment.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

All 3 of mine are Pfizer.
malchior

Post by malchior »

Daehawk wrote: Sat Nov 13, 2021 4:39 pm All 3 of mine are Pfizer.
Same. I was hoping for a Moderna boost but the mix-match wasn't available to us.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Going back to the earliest days and how Trump handled it:

New documents show Trump Admin silenced CDC at start of pandemic, tried to alter expert scientific reports, and then tried to delete evidence they were doing so.

We were the most prepared nation in the world but now more than 750,000 Americans have died.
Article is here.
stessier

Post by stessier »

What could go wrong?
New York (CNN Business) wrote:It's beginning to look a lot like pre-pandemic Christmas, with malls and stores bringing back tree lighting ceremonies, carol singers and a less socially distanced Santa this year.

Photos with Santa, an annual holiday tradition for many families, were upended last year by the pandemic.

Some retail locations that typically host in-person Santa visits decided to forgo the event completely. Others made changes — like putting Santa behind plexiglass, or Zooming with Santa on a large digital screen — which likely resulted in awkward holiday family photos with Kris Kringle.

But that was 2020. Retailers and mall operators are eager to return holiday shoppers to a more familiar celebratory experience in the run-up to Christmas.