The Politics of Covid 19, mask wearing and the vaccination process

For discussion of religion and politics

Moderators: LawBeefaroni, $iljanus

gbasden

Re: The Politics of Covid 19, mask wearing and the vaccination process

Post by gbasden »

malchior wrote: Tue Jan 11, 2022 5:31 pm Totally. That part of why I'm on the opposite side of the Tweet above. I get why someone would definitely regret moving here. I actually started having a serious conversation with my wife about leaving. What good is foresight if we don't act on it? Trouble naturally is emigration is tough in your mid-40s even without children and during a pandemic it is basically a no go. It'd take extraordinary support and I don't have that right now. I had the slight chance at my last job to relocate to NL and I'm kicking myself at the moment.
It's even worse being in your 50s. I'm unfortunately stuck here with little recourse of GTFO unless I win the lottery.
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

We have ripcords in Calgary and Zagreb but really don't want to move. And I'd have no job lined up.
" Hey OP, listen to my advice alright." -Tha General
"No scientific discovery is named after its original discoverer." -Stigler's Law of Eponymy, discovered by Robert K. Merton

MYT
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

gbasden wrote: Wed Jan 12, 2022 12:30 am It's even worse being in your 50s. I'm unfortunately stuck here with little recourse of GTFO unless I win the lottery.
That would require me playing the lottery, so even that's out, but I would love to leave. Sadly, there is no reasonable way for me to move from becoming a citizen of the US to a citizen of the world.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Imagine you have a set of skills and specific knowledge that is clearly worthless in the current world. :lol:
Maybe next year, maybe no go
Octavious

Post by Octavious »

Our offices in Australia and New Zealand both are super short on people. I'm pretty sure I could get transferred there if I wanted, but my daughter has 2 years left of HS. And I'd be even more dependent on a less than stellar company. I could go live with the hobbits so I mean that is tempting.
Capitalism tries for a delicate balance: It attempts to work things out so that everyone gets just enough stuff to keep them from getting violent and trying to take other people’s stuff.

Shameless plug for my website: www.nettphoto.com
Defiant

Post by Defiant »

Former President Donald Trump on Tuesday criticized politicians who refuse to say whether they’ve received a Covid booster shot.
“They don’t want to say it because they’re gutless,” Trump said. “You gotta say it, whether you had it or not. Say it. But the fact is that I think the vaccines saved tens of millions throughout the world. I’ve had absolutely no side effects.”
Trump's latest comments appear to be partly an attempt to change the dialogue around vaccines and take credit for the effort. In the interview Trump referred to the pandemic response under his presidency, saying he had done "so well with therapeutics and, and vaccines and everything else and getting them done in record times," although his administration's rollout of vaccines was plagued by delays and shortages.
https://www.nbcnews.com/politics/donald ... s-n1287342
Max Peck

Post by Max Peck »

The province of Manitoba has capitulated to the virus.

All Manitobans 'highly likely' to be exposed to COVID-19 in coming weeks, health official says
Manitoba health officials say every person in the province will likely be exposed to the virus that causes COVID-19 sometime in the coming weeks, and the government will shift its focus away from trying to limit the spread of the disease.

"COVID-19 is no longer an emerging illness," said Dr. Jazz Atwal, deputy chief provincial public health officer.

"It is here to stay, and our ability to contain the virus is limited. It is highly likely that everyone will be exposed to the virus in the coming weeks."
The premier said the province needs to take a more "balanced" approach to the way it deals with the virus.

"We're going to need to learn to live with this in the longer term. COVID is here to stay," Stefanson said.

When asked by reporters whether public health officials recommended more stringent measures, Atwal said they "provide recommendations to government, and I think anything further would have to come from government."

Responding to the same line of questioning, Stefanson said too much responsibility had been laid at the feet of public health officials, and she has been reaching out to other groups, including business leaders and pediatricians.
"What? What? What?" -- The 14th Doctor

It's not enough to be a good player... you also have to play well. -- Siegbert Tarrasch
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

Glenn Beck has Covid again after refusing vaccine: ‘It’s going into my lungs’
Thoughts and prayers.
When darkness veils the world, four Warriors of Light shall come.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Taking horse paste is so 2021. If he's not drinking his own urine and taking testosterone blockers, he's clearly not listening to the right people.
Defiant

Post by Defiant »

Supreme Court blocks Biden Covid vaccine mandate for businesses, allows health-care worker rule
The Supreme Court on Thursday blocked the Biden administration from enforcing its sweeping vaccine-or-test requirements for large private companies, but allowed a vaccine mandate to stand for medical facilities that take Medicare or Medicaid payments.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

It's almost as if people are the problem.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

On the same day of that hot-trash ruling from the Supreme Court:

NEW: Updated @HealthNYGov guidance requires kids (12+) to be BOOSTED (not just vaccinated) in order to play sports or do extracurriculars if exposed to #COVID19. They can stay in school if vaccinated and exposed but can’t do anything else unless they are boosted.
In NJ? *crickets*
Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

Meanwhile, in Colorado...

LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

Zaxxon wrote: Thu Jan 13, 2022 5:30 pm Meanwhile, in Colorado...

That's actually some well crafted bullshit. Kudos to whoever wrote it for them to read.

No kudos for the man with two different haircuts on the same head.
"No scientific discovery is named after its original discoverer." -Stigler's Law of Eponymy, discovered by Robert K. Merton

MYT
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

JFC. It would take me all day to respond to that, line by line - but they hit all the necessary points to kill my soul. "Everyone will get it." "This is endemic". "We will respond with freedom."

I can't. Guys, I know I've said it before, but I really can't anymore. I'm dead inside - today was the finishing move.
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

I especially liked the "vaccines don't prevent infections and infections are very mild" commingling of cohorts.

MYT
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

I am beginning to think their decision to create their own health department back in September and their inability to find a director aren't a coincidence. I'd need to hit the internet, but something tells me not one of those three clowns has even a minute of public health training.
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

Doug... Doug...
Doug... Doug...

If you are a health care worker, please come back to work. Here are all the reasons you will not to come back to work.
Defiant

Post by Defiant »

Zaxxon
Forum Moderator

Post by Zaxxon »

Smoove_B wrote: Thu Jan 13, 2022 6:32 pm I am beginning to think their decision to create their own health department back in September and their inability to find a director aren't a coincidence. I'd need to hit the internet, but something tells me not one of those three clowns has even a minute of public health training.
Almost makes sense for that to have been the case.
Zarathud

Post by Zarathud »

The Great Resignation happened when a large number of employees decided that they’re not paid enough to deal with this COVID bullshit. They’re not going back to work unless it’s safe.

We’re not going to get safe until we have a same national response to the pandemic.

We can’t have even a piecemeal response because of the fools who deny science and believe in magical thinking.

It’s like we’re trying to prove to economists that humans are no longer rational actors who maximize utility and happiness. A large potion are trolls who act like herd animals and throw poop at their seemed enemies.
"If the facts don't fit the theory, change the facts." - Albert Einstein
"I don't stand by anything." - Trump
“Bad men need nothing more to compass their ends, than that good men should look on and do nothing.” - John Stuart Mill, Inaugural Address Delivered to the University of St Andrews, 2/1/1867
“It is the impractical things in this tumultuous hell-scape of a world that matter most. A book, a name, chicken soup. They help us remember that, even in our darkest hour, life is still to be savored.” - Poe, Altered Carbon
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

I've already mentioned - my wife works for a major insurance carrier. They said back in the Fall that they weren't going to mandate the vaccine for workers until it made it through the Supreme Court and I guess their gamble paid off. This is a national HQ with a few thousand workers, organized in cube farms.

You'd think an organization that is involved in loss control and pricing risk would have mandated it, but apparently there's a blind-spot the size of a planet for the CEO and the board because of where they're located in my state. Also, there have been record profits over the last 2 years, so get back to work.

The idea that businesses across the United States are voluntarily look out for their workers health and safety en masse goes against 100+ years of occupational health and safety history. But I guess there are six Justices that know more.
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

Zarathud wrote: Thu Jan 13, 2022 8:14 pm The Great Resignation happened when a large number of employees decided that they’re not paid enough to deal with this COVID bullshit. They’re not going back to work unless it’s safe.
The Great Resignation happened when a large number of employees decided that they’re not paid enough to deal with this COVID bullshit they didn't have to go to work. They’re not going back to work unless it’s safe until they have no choice.

When they have no choice will depend on when The Powers That Be decide to hand out the pain. With consumer prices and consumer debt both on the rise, I'm guessing that will be soon.

MYT
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

I guess this goes here? I don't even know anymore. But it basically summarizes the circle of failure we are in. The boat is sinking.

today a perfect trifecta of failed governance:

- the Senate refuses to change its rules to allow it to act on simple majority, so
- the White House governs by mandate
- which Supreme Court invalidates, saying Congress needs to pass legislation

we have, largely, anti-governance
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

El Guapo

Post by El Guapo »

Smoove_B wrote: Thu Jan 13, 2022 11:18 pm I guess this goes here? I don't even know anymore. But it basically summarizes the circle of failure we are in. The boat is sinking.

today a perfect trifecta of failed governance:

- the Senate refuses to change its rules to allow it to act on simple majority, so
- the White House governs by mandate
- which Supreme Court invalidates, saying Congress needs to pass legislation

we have, largely, anti-governance
You left off the part where several justices invalidating the action were appointed by the minority party gaining from the situation despite the relevant presidents failing to win the most votes.
Black Lives Matter.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

USA Today
A Canadian man admitted on a right-wing talk show he is keeping his daughter away from her mother and is staying in an undisclosed location because he doesn't want his child to get the COVID-19 vaccine. Now, the mother is asking the public for help finding the two.

The story between the divorced parents was brought to light on the online show "Live With Laura-Lynn" on Jan. 7. The father, Michael Jackson, confirmed that he is on the run with his 7-year-old daughter.
malchior

Post by malchior »

"Funny"

noxiousdog

Post by noxiousdog »

LawBeefaroni wrote: Thu Jan 13, 2022 8:53 pm
Zarathud wrote: Thu Jan 13, 2022 8:14 pm The Great Resignation happened when a large number of employees decided that they’re not paid enough to deal with this COVID bullshit. They’re not going back to work unless it’s safe.
The Great Resignation happened when a large number of employees decided that they’re not paid enough to deal with this COVID bullshit they didn't have to go to work. They’re not going back to work unless it’s safe until they have no choice.

When they have no choice will depend on when The Powers That Be decide to hand out the pain. With consumer prices and consumer debt both on the rise, I'm guessing that will be soon.
While the great resignation is real, I'm not sure it's unexpected or we have the real cause. It's not that far off of trend. I also suspect there's a lot of boomers who just decided to retire early which just accelerated it a bit. We're really only talking about a 2% change in the labor participation rate.
Black Lives Matter

"To wield Grond, the mighty hammer of the Federal Government, is to be intoxicated with power beyond what you and I can reckon (though I figure we can ball park it pretty good with computers and maths). Need to tunnel through a mountain? Grond. Kill a mighty ogre? Grond. Hangnail? Grond. Spider? Grond (actually, that's a legit use, moreso than the rest)." - Peacedog
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

ImageImage
Kasey Chang

Post by Kasey Chang »

My N95 masks somehow got stuck by a weather delay in Ohio for a whole week. It was supposed to arrive Tuesday or Wednesday, after getting "shipped" on the 5th. It will instead arrive on Monday.

OTOH, the price for N95 is pretty good. Honeywell N95 (H910 Plus) 50 for $30. I'm seeing people trying to flip them on Amazon for $50, which still makes a couple bucks per box even when you count FBA fees.
My game FAQs | Playing: She Will Punish Them, Sunrider: Mask of Arcadius, The Outer Worlds
gilraen

Post by gilraen »

I ordered some KN95s from Bona Fide Masks. Order placed Monday night, as of today it's still "awaiting fulfillment". I'm not expecting to get them for at least another month.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Off the rails insanity in VA:

Exclusive: Governor Youngkin on Arlington school system saying it will require masks, despite Youngkin’s order stating that schools can’t do that. He threatened to use state resources to force schools to comply - but we still don’t know what that means exactly.
malchior

Post by malchior »

Smoove_B wrote: Sun Jan 16, 2022 5:07 pm Off the rails insanity in VA
And this is the "moderate" that the Democrats think they need to emulate.
raydude

Post by raydude »

Smoove_B wrote: Sun Jan 16, 2022 5:07 pm Off the rails insanity in VA:

Exclusive: Governor Youngkin on Arlington school system saying it will require masks, despite Youngkin’s order stating that schools can’t do that. He threatened to use state resources to force schools to comply - but we still don’t know what that means exactly.
Just got an email saying Alexandria City Public Schools will continue to follow CDC guidelines - hence students will keep their masks on. Time to resist the Youngshit.
Max Peck

Post by Max Peck »

The CBC is jumping on the "Everyone gets sick, learn to live with it" bandwagon.

Back-to-class learning 1st step in moving from COVID fear to acceptance
When thousands of Ontario students head back to their schools Monday — assuming they can get there through the forecasted snow dump — it will signal not only a return to in-person learning, but our first step learning to live with COVID-19 in the long term.

After almost two years of being told to fear the coronavirus, we're now being told to accept being exposed to it as a foregone conclusion. And that requires a huge shift in our collective mindset.

No one knows this better than epidemiologist Dr. Doug Manuel. From the start, the senior scientist with The Ottawa Hospital — who's also worked on local COVID-19 projections — has been vocal in calling for strict measures to suppress case numbers.

Not any more.

"I've been one of the people that says, 'Please keep things low,' and now I'm like, 'We're all going to get infected,'" Manuel says.

He's found that change in thinking difficult, as he contemplates returning to in-person clinical work he's put aside for months to concentrate on epidemiology — work he was able to accomplish from home.

"I'm like anyone, I need to make the shift," he said.

Setting aside the health and essential service folks who've been working on the front lines throughout the pandemic, the first group to head back into the real world — the one where, as we're being told on a daily basis, Omicron cannot be contained — is students.

For many school-aged kids, to say nothing of their parents, this could be a scary prospect. But for most, it shouldn't be, says one children's infectious disease specialist.

"No jurisdiction has shown that schools are amplifiers of the virus," said Dr. Martha Fulford, an associate professor at McMaster University and a staunch advocate for children being in school.

"Ontario should be ashamed of the fact that we have had the longest school closures of all of North America. This is not a point of pride."
"What? What? What?" -- The 14th Doctor

It's not enough to be a good player... you also have to play well. -- Siegbert Tarrasch
hepcat

Post by hepcat »

Let’s put together a site that celebrates any illness of any Fox News anchor or their family. Christ.
He won. Period.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Absolutely shameful.

The United States has a lower vaccination rate than any other country tracked besides Russia.
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

Smoove_B wrote: Tue Jan 18, 2022 11:32 am Absolutely shameful.
The United States has a lower vaccination rate than any other country tracked besides Russia.

Agreed, we cannot continue to lose to Russia.

MYT