We're getting old (OO medical complaints)

Everything else!

Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

dbt1949

Re: We're getting old (OO medical complaints)

Post by dbt1949 »

Only happened to me once. I never got over it.
Ye Olde Farte
Double Ought Forty
aka dbt1949
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

jztemple2 wrote: Fri Jul 15, 2022 12:25 am
dbt1949 wrote: Fri Jul 15, 2022 12:21 am I changed my first CPAP mask as it hissed and stuff too. This new style works great as far as masks go.
Do you use the kind that covers nose and mouth, or the nose only? I tried both and didn't like either of them.
I gotta start using mine again. It's just so uncomfortable. Today's stuff is way better than they were 20 years ago but they still suck.
The Meal

Post by The Meal »

Cataract surgery comes with the possibility of vision correction with an inserted plastic lens. That’d be covered by insurance. Having a non-cataract (corrected) lens-replacement surgery would not be covered by insurance to the tune of a five-figure out-of-pocket cost. I’m still considering it nonetheless. #HeavyAstigmatismAndCrazyMyopicLife
"Better to talk to people than communicate via tweet." — Elontra
Malificent

Post by Malificent »

LordMortis wrote: Fri Jul 15, 2022 7:10 am
jztemple2 wrote: Fri Jul 15, 2022 12:25 am
dbt1949 wrote: Fri Jul 15, 2022 12:21 am I changed my first CPAP mask as it hissed and stuff too. This new style works great as far as masks go.
Do you use the kind that covers nose and mouth, or the nose only? I tried both and didn't like either of them.
I gotta start using mine again. It's just so uncomfortable. Today's stuff is way better than they were 20 years ago but they still suck.
I have a full face mask - I have severe apnea and CPAP has made a huge difference in my life. I found a 3rd party company that makes soft cloth masks that fit over the top the standard mask. Makes it way more comfortable.
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

Kraken wrote: Fri Jul 15, 2022 2:21 am My new gastroenterologist asked me a bunch of leading questions about my sleep habits. I deflected them. It's none of his business how often I wake up dying.
I just saw my cardiologist for a follow up after she gave me a clearance for surgery and she as well wanted to discuss my sleep habits, including asking my wife who was with me about it. Thankfully my wife, who does have a habit of using hyperbole to describe things, backed my contention that my snoring has been greatly reduced since I lost weight and isn't a concern.
My father said that anything is interesting if you bother to read about it - Michael C. Harrold
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Sudy wrote: Thu Jul 14, 2022 11:06 pm
As a fairly restless sleeper I'm not looking forward to being constrained by a tube and headgear and how it's going to change my bedtime routine. Though it occurs to me that the apnea may be part of the reason I am a restless sleeper. My snoring has also increased in intensity since putting on the pandemic pounds, and it's caused my wife to either punch me awake or wear ear plugs in bed. (I prefer the latter.)
As a side- and stomach-sleeper, I can relate. When I was diagnosed with sleep apnea somewhere around 12 years ago, I figured I'd have a hell of a time trying to sleep on my back. But after the first couple of weeks, it didn't really work out that way. Once I got used to it, it didn't just not get in the way, it helped put me to sleep. Lying down, wrapping the thing around around my head, taking the first couple of breaths to 'trigger' it, then having to focus on my breathing to breathe with it instead of fighting it became a routine. And, fairly quickly, that routine became automatic and would knock me right out, every time.

I was eventually 'cured' by getting the back of my tongue cut off due to the cancer, but I'd recommend against that particular apnea treatment.
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

And just by coincidence, I was eating at a restaurant today and a commercial runs for Inspire Sleep Apnea Innovation. Their ad says "No mask. No hose. Just sleep."

So I checked it out and apparently it is an implanted device. From the FAQ:
  • Inspire works inside your body with your natural breathing process
  • It delivers mild stimulation to key airway muscles, allowing the airway to remain open during sleep
  • Inspire is controlled by a small handheld sleep remote
There's a video on the FAQ page which I can't link to, but the video shows that the device is implanted under the skin of the chest and a wire runs up to the tongue area. Each time it senses you are drawing a breath it sends a pulse to cause the tongue to move out of the way. So, at least it is a different approach.

I did get a chuckle out of one line item in the FAQ about eligibility: "Are not significantly obese". Well, I'm insignificantly obese, so I guess I would qualify if I was interested :wink:
My father said that anything is interesting if you bother to read about it - Michael C. Harrold
Sudy

Post by Sudy »

Inspire is controlled by a small handheld sleep remote
Well I sure hope it doesn't get hacked. Walking around the mall, foreign agents manipulating my throat's muscular activity....

I saw a commercial on late night TV. It said, "Forget everything you know about slipcovers." So I did. And it was a load off my mind. Then the commercial tried to sell me slipcovers, and I didn't know what the hell they were. -- Mitch Hedberg
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

But then you could finally do that Xena cry.
It's almost as if people are the problem.
disarm

Post by disarm »

Kraken wrote:My ophthalmologist referred me to a surgeon for a cataract consult, so now I probably have cataract surgery to look forward to (surgeons almost always default to surgering).

On one hand I haven't had any surgery since I was a teenager and would rather not start now. OTOH, it would be nice to be able to focus my right eye again.
Cataract surgery is about the easiest life-changing surgery that you could experience. In most cases, you don't realize how much cataracts are affecting your vision because they develop gradually over years, but the sudden improvement can be surprising.

With an experienced, efficient surgeon, you'll be in and out in a total of about two hours, of which only about 15-20 is actual surgery time. The rest is all prep and recovery. The surgery itself is a breeze... usual just numbing medication on the surface of the eye and a little sedating medication to help with anxiety, but you stay awake for the few minutes it takes... quick and easy. I've provided anesthesia for several thousand cataract procedures over the years, and most patients end up wishing they hadn't put it off for so long.
Last edited by disarm on Fri Jul 15, 2022 5:54 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Sudy

Post by Sudy »

Isgrimnur wrote: Fri Jul 15, 2022 5:50 pm But then you could finally do that Xena cry.
Or Mongolian throat singing! I bet this will revolutionize that industry....

I saw a commercial on late night TV. It said, "Forget everything you know about slipcovers." So I did. And it was a load off my mind. Then the commercial tried to sell me slipcovers, and I didn't know what the hell they were. -- Mitch Hedberg
disarm

Post by disarm »

jztemple2 wrote:And just by coincidence, I was eating at a restaurant today and a commercial runs for Inspire Sleep Apnea Innovation. Their ad says "No mask. No hose. Just sleep."

So I checked it out and apparently it is an implanted device. From the FAQ:
  • Inspire works inside your body with your natural breathing process
  • It delivers mild stimulation to key airway muscles, allowing the airway to remain open during sleep
  • Inspire is controlled by a small handheld sleep remote
There's a video on the FAQ page which I can't link to, but the video shows that the device is implanted under the skin of the chest and a wire runs up to the tongue area. Each time it senses you are drawing a breath it sends a pulse to cause the tongue to move out of the way. So, at least it is a different approach.
I've been involved with ENT surgeons for these devices as well. It really is a cool concept, but it's only capable of treating a very specific type of sleep apnea. In order to determine if it will work, you first have to undergo a special sedation study where you're slowly drifted off to sleep by an anesthesiologist while the ENT watches how your airway obstructs using a camera through your nose...super easy test, but it is a necessary procedure just to make sure you're a candidate for the Inspire. Once you qualify, you have to undergo a 2-3 hour surgery to implant the hypoglossal nerve stimulator device. You then use the remote to turn the device on when you're going to sleep, then off in the morning. If it's the right thing for you, I've heard it's great.

dbt1949

Post by dbt1949 »

How do you turn it back off again when you're asleep?
Ye Olde Farte
Double Ought Forty
aka dbt1949
disarm

Post by disarm »

dbt1949 wrote:How do you turn it back off again when you're asleep?
It's active the whole time you're sleeping. The device senses when you're inhaling (by detecting your diaphragm moving) and stimulates the tongue to move it slightly and open your obstructed airway every time you take a breath. Similar to a CPAP machine, you have to use it all night.
Madmarcus

Post by Madmarcus »

The Meal wrote: Fri Jul 15, 2022 8:02 am Cataract surgery comes with the possibility of vision correction with an inserted plastic lens. That’d be covered by insurance. Having a non-cataract (corrected) lens-replacement surgery would not be covered by insurance to the tune of a five-figure out-of-pocket cost. I’m still considering it nonetheless. #HeavyAstigmatismAndCrazyMyopicLife
My eye doctor was almost chortling with glee at how much better I'll see after cataract surgery. But this last visit was the first time they were mentioned so it looks like it is a couple of years out.
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

disarm wrote: Fri Jul 15, 2022 5:54 pm
Kraken wrote:My ophthalmologist referred me to a surgeon for a cataract consult, so now I probably have cataract surgery to look forward to (surgeons almost always default to surgering).

On one hand I haven't had any surgery since I was a teenager and would rather not start now. OTOH, it would be nice to be able to focus my right eye again.
Cataract surgery is about the easiest life-changing surgery that you could experience. In most cases, you don't realize how much cataracts are affecting your vision because they develop gradually over years, but the sudden improvement can be surprising.

With an experienced, efficient surgeon, you'll be in and out in a total of about two hours, of which only about 15-20 is actual surgery time. The rest is all prep and recovery. The surgery itself is a breeze... usual just numbing medication on the surface of the eye and a little sedating medication to help with anxiety, but you stay awake for the few minutes it takes... quick and easy. I've provided anesthesia for several thousand cataract procedures over the years, and most patients end up wishing they hadn't put it off for so long.
I'm pretty sure she'll want to do my right eye, as it doesn't focus very well anymore. I wonder if I can convince her to do both. Would be nice if they matched.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Cataract surgery is in my (hopefully distant) future. I have no idea how they're going to pull it off on me, as I'm very, very sensitive about people near my face. Wave your hand in front of my face from a foot away and my eyelids go crazy - they're like little hummingbird wings. And it's completely involuntary. Kids in school, every school I attended - more than a dozen of them - used to sneak up on me and wave their hand in my face just to watch them flutter (and not in a friendly way - someone may have eventually gotten punched for it.)
dbt1949

Post by dbt1949 »

Ever since I had my surgery from time to time my eyes spasm. Doesn't hurt or anything and it usually happens when I lay down. Usually I just rub my eyes and some kind of fluid (probably water) behind them goes away and they stop.
Ye Olde Farte
Double Ought Forty
aka dbt1949
Anonymous Bosch

Post by Anonymous Bosch »

Blackhawk wrote: Fri Jul 15, 2022 11:49 pm Cataract surgery is in my (hopefully distant) future. I have no idea how they're going to pull it off on me, as I'm very, very sensitive about people near my face. Wave your hand in front of my face from a foot away and my eyelids go crazy - they're like little hummingbird wings. And it's completely involuntary. Kids in school, every school I attended - more than a dozen of them - used to sneak up on me and wave their hand in my face just to watch them flutter (and not in a friendly way - someone may have eventually gotten punched for it.)
While relatively uncommon for most cataract surgery nowadays, you should be able to request a general anaesthetic if that is a concern for you. I know someone who suffered from restless leg syndrome that had her cataract surgery performed under a general anaesthetic to minimise the risks from being unable to remain still for the duration of surgery.
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." — P. J. O'Rourke
dbt1949

Post by dbt1949 »

When they rolled me into the operating room I yelled out "I'm going to die! I'm going to die!"
the doctors did not find this amusing.
Ye Olde Farte
Double Ought Forty
aka dbt1949
Madmarcus

Post by Madmarcus »

I have nystagmus - my eyes constantly move even under general anesthesia. The lens implant after cataract surgery should help my vision both from the new properly shaped lens and because it will move with my eye instead unlike glasses. But I'm not looking forward to the idea of someone cutting my eye while it is moving!
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Im sure they must be able to paralyze those muscles somehow. Man that would be weird to wake up to though.
--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"

Post by Default »

The Meal wrote: Fri Jul 15, 2022 8:02 am Cataract surgery comes with the possibility of vision correction with an inserted plastic lens. That’d be covered by insurance. Having a non-cataract (corrected) lens-replacement surgery would not be covered by insurance to the tune of a five-figure out-of-pocket cost. I’m still considering it nonetheless. #HeavyAstigmatismAndCrazyMyopicLife
I had lasik surgery in 2015, iirc. Best thing I ever did for myself. It got rid of my astigmatism in both eyes. Down side, I need reading glasses unless I am in a really bright light. That is because my corneas are stiff from age.
My first month or so, I was getting a lot of compliments on my eyes.
"pcp, lsd, thc, tgb...it's all good." ~ Kraken

Post by Default »

When I had the lasik done, they gave me a pill that knocked the edge off my anxiety. I then had some eye drops. They put a device around my eyes to hold them open. That was uncomfortable, but not painful in the least. Everything from that point was like watching a movie. I was told to look at a point and focus on that. Everything was automated from that point. The surface of the cornea has a flap cut in it, and that gets folded back by the surgeon. You focus on that point and then you see little sparkles of the laser recontouring the cornea. The surgeon flips the flap back to it's position. From then on, it's eyedrops and not rubbing your eyes. You can actually go back to work the next day, and your vision keeps improving on a daily basis.
Ymmv, but it should be similar.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Ya its weird theres no stitch to hold that flap. They just leave it and hope it heals. Same with my kidney surgery through my back. No stitch in my back or kidney.
dbt1949

Post by dbt1949 »

I wondered how they did that. Doesn't seem secure, but evidently it works.
Still, I'm glad I didn't know that then.
Ye Olde Farte
Double Ought Forty
aka dbt1949

Post by Default »

It's not weird, it just heals quickly. I'm assuming that the flap is extremely thin. As a matter of fact, they told me that I could go back to work the next day. I did not, because I wasn't willing to risk it, but if you had a desk job, you could, absolutely.
It cost me $3300, but you can find experienced surgeons for significantly less. You have to look around.
Madmarcus

Post by Madmarcus »

I'm out of the loop - could someone explain getting prescriptions currently?

Prior to leaving for Korea I wasn't on any maintenance medications so in the rare case when I needed a prescription I had the doctor send it to the local Kroger and I used my insurance. Really I never thought about it. In Korea the pharmacy associated with the doctor's office was cheap and again I never really investigated other options. Now I'm back in the US with my same old BCBS insurance but two different maintenance meds (amlodipine and what is now Lipator because the cost was the same in Korea even though I would be fine with the generic). Other then those two I'm in ok shape and have no reason to suspect that I am going to hit my deductible this year.

So, should I just have the prescription sent to the Kroger and trust the insurance rates?

Can I even use the "free discount coupons" that all all over the web or does having insurance or using insurance on the doctor's visit mean I have to use the insurance on the drugs too? BTW, that is because my MIL says she asked about paying cash for some of her meds after finding out that she didn't have her insurance card and the lady said they couldn't do that as it would be insurance fraud. But that is second hand and I'm not sure that I know all the appropriate details on the issue.
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

Madmarcus wrote: Wed Aug 10, 2022 8:45 am So, should I just have the prescription sent to the Kroger and trust the insurance rates?
1) BCBS have are formulary for what they cover and how. Log in to their site and look at what your version of BCBS covers and why. They do prescriptions and prescription availability in tiers. Your doctor won't know these things. You pharmacist will figure it out for you because they do the billing but that doesn't change what your doctor writes a script for.
2) No do not trust your insurance will have the best pricing for generics for you unless you have the best of Cadillac plans under BCBS or any provider for that matter. However if your pharmacy comes in cheaper than insurance, they should give you the cheaper price.
3) GoodRX is a good place to compare prices but Kroger is no longer part of the Goodrx network with regard to club pricing. Kroger do their own thing. I have no idea how it works but I do know for me they are hands down the best pricing for Omeperzol, insurance inclusive at $18 for 90 days at my dosage.
4) You can use discount coupons with insurance, generally, read the rules. They're explained in the coupons themselves. I do not believe they stack with discounted prescription plans outside of insurance but I don't know for sure.

Going back to Kroger, now that you bring it up. To the Internet!!!! If you want to find kroger club pricing...

https://support.krogersc.com/hc/en-us/a ... criptions-

Looking at this, holy crap. I think I might need to join the Kroger prescription club. For $36 a year, it looks like I could save about $20 every three months according to this by bypassing my insurance. So thanks for asking questions. :D (Note, I am on more than two maintenance meds though. I fill 4 currently)

GoodRX is not accurately showing Krogers non club pricing though. They show 30 days of Omeperzol at $30.94. Simply having a free Kroger card and asking for the non premium discount gets me 90 days at $18.??. With a Club membership the Kroger site shows as $6. As well as my Losartan, which currently costs me $20. My Atorvastatin, that costs $20 is $12 and my $8 Montekulast is free. Crazy. My prescription coverage, literally means less than a $36 a year subscription for Kroger.
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

I use Express Scripts, which BCBS is fine with. Our regular drugs just show up in the mail on time, and a 3-month supply is always $18 or less. When a scrip needs renewal, they contact the doc's office to take care of that. It's all automated and painless.
Madmarcus

Post by Madmarcus »

Great info! Thanks to both of you. It looks like mine will be pretty cheap. Kroger is easy but I do like the idea not having to deal with refills / the online pharmacy dealing with them for me.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

In addition to vision, dental, and regular checkups, today I discovered that Medicare also doesn't support any kind of hearing testing.

*Sigh*
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

Blackhawk wrote: Wed Aug 10, 2022 10:37 am In addition to vision, dental, and regular checkups, today I discovered that Medicare also doesn't support any kind of hearing testing.

*Sigh*
You do get a twice a year "wellness" check, which is isn't a throughout checkup, more of a "how are you feeling" interview.
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

jztemple2 wrote: Wed Aug 10, 2022 11:43 am
Blackhawk wrote: Wed Aug 10, 2022 10:37 am In addition to vision, dental, and regular checkups, today I discovered that Medicare also doesn't support any kind of hearing testing.

*Sigh*
You do get a twice a year "wellness" check, which is isn't a throughout checkup, more of a "how are you feeling" interview.
I asked my wife who is our Medicare expert and she says that Medicare will pay for a once every two years eye check for changes in prescription and also for basic glasses. Also, eye issues that are medical in nature, like glaucoma checks, are covered. Of course you should ask your eye doc for specifics, since our optometrist doesn't deal with Medicare so we have no experience through them.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

I found out the SilverScript my wife got us doesn't pay for anything at all. It was more for her meds and I just tagged along. But my Medicare seems to cover them. No one will cover Robaxim though..unless I use that Marc Cuban online pharmacy I think.

I end up paying something like $3 for my 2 bp meds and a cholesterol one. My muscle relaxer is $25
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

jztemple2 wrote: Wed Aug 10, 2022 11:43 am

*Sigh*
It's annual for me, and yeah - it's 'What are your health habits? Here's what to do different.' There are no tests, no physical examination, nothing.

And for the vision, it depends on which form of medicare you have. Mine gives me nothing unless it is 'medically necessary.' Luckily, my optometrist went out of her way to find something medically necessary (I have very early cataracts that she wants to check annually - which, coincidentally, involves examining me eyes for other issues and updating my prescription.)
The Meal

Post by The Meal »

I learned a new word today, hemoptysis. Doctor visit on Friday.
"Better to talk to people than communicate via tweet." — Elontra
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

The Meal wrote: Wed Aug 10, 2022 8:55 pm I learned a new word today, hemoptysis. Doctor visit on Friday.
That's not a good word.
It's almost as if people are the problem.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Oh geez, the Latin on that is...not good. Hope you get better news.
Maybe next year, maybe no go
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

I'm ascared to look it up. Be well.