We're getting old (OO medical complaints)

Everything else!

Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

Kraken

Re: We're getting old (OO medical complaints)

Post by Kraken »

I got my $140 Brooks shoes today and they fit, so I'm walking tomorrow for the first time in 10+ days. My foot pain largely cleared up when I quit walking, reinforcing my suspicion that my old shoes were to blame. Soon I'll know if having God's shoes will keep the pain away, or if I need a doctor.
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

In my twice a decade colonoscopy, I don't find the enema to be a horrid experience, but I am not a child. The prep with laxatives before the enema? It sucks. If that stuff is involved daily, I'd empathize with the resistance of the child.
stessier

Post by stessier »

LordMortis wrote: Thu Sep 01, 2022 12:36 am In my twice a decade colonoscopy, I don't find the enema to be a horrid experience, but I am not a child. The prep with laxatives before the enema? It sucks. If that stuff is involved daily, I'd empathize with the resistance of the child.
Why does your colonoscopy require an enema? Everyone I've ever heard of just uses the prep.
I require a reminder as to why raining arcane destruction is not an appropriate response to all of life's indignities. - Vaarsuvius
Global Steam Wishmaslist Tracking
Running____2014: 1300.55 miles____2015: 2036.13 miles____2016: 1012.75 miles____2017: 1105.82 miles____2018: 1318.91 miles__2019: 2000.00 miles
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

stessier wrote: Thu Sep 01, 2022 10:24 am
LordMortis wrote: Thu Sep 01, 2022 12:36 am In my twice a decade colonoscopy, I don't find the enema to be a horrid experience, but I am not a child. The prep with laxatives before the enema? It sucks. If that stuff is involved daily, I'd empathize with the resistance of the child.
Why does your colonoscopy require an enema? Everyone I've ever heard of just uses the prep.
Enema is a final part of the prep. It has been for every scope I've had. Clean you out, then clean you out.
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

No laxative prep (thankfully), but he's deathly afraid of the whole process.

It has taken over an hour of coaxing each of the past two nights simply to get him to even let us insert the catheter. Just that step (no actual enema liquid was involved) had him screaming absolute bloody murder. Pretty sure all the neighbors think I torture my child now.

I'm keeping my sanity only by telling myself it'll get easier as he gets more used it.
When darkness veils the world, four Warriors of Light shall come.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

I quit ALL my meds 12 days or so ago. The doc I saw a week ago asked me to keep a record of it off and on to see how I do. I go back tomorrow. This is what ive seen so far. The number after the BP is my heart beats per minute.

Thursday Aug 25 2pm 128/85 112
Thursday Aug 25 7pm 127/82 108

Friday Aug 26 12:30pm 113/84 81
Friday Aug 26 5pm 124/76 97

Saturday Aug 27 1:15pm 122/84 85
Saturday Aug 27 8pm 138/87 90

Sunday Aug 28 11:15am 117/76 72
Sunday Aug 28 3pm 134/82 80
Sunday Aug 28 4:30pm 135/84 82
Sunday Aug 28 6pm 127/77 93

Monday Aug 29 10:45am 127/86 88
Monday Aug 29 3pm 133/90 104
Monday Aug 29 9:30pm 143/88 93

Tuesday Aug 30 2am 133/85 83
Tuesday Aug 30 12:15pm 120/84 84
Tuesday Aug 30 2:30pm 127/82 86
Tuesday Aug 30 7:30pm 144/82 94

Wednesday Aug 31 12pm 127/84 82
Wednesday Aug 31 6:30pm 139/79 94
Wednesday Aug 31 9:10pm 131/83 83

Not bad as on meds Id seen it 165/110. Also my bp meds were making me cough a hell of a lot. Now I think ive coughed 3 times in this last week if that.
--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

My home work setup is apparently perfect for 0.75x.

Enlarge Image
It's almost as if people are the problem.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

My bp is up today...145/93..both times I took it..now and at 9:30am. I was CRAVING salt yesterday and ate almost the entire jar of olives and a can of pringles.
ImLawBoy
Forum Admin

Post by ImLawBoy »

LordMortis wrote: Thu Sep 01, 2022 10:27 am
stessier wrote: Thu Sep 01, 2022 10:24 am
Enema is a final part of the prep. It has been for every scope I've had. Clean you out, then clean you out.
I didn't have an enema for my colonoscopy or my colon surgery - just prep both times. I think your doctor is in league with Big Enema.
Skinypupy wrote: Thu Sep 01, 2022 10:28 am
No laxative prep (thankfully), but he's deathly afraid of the whole process.

It has taken over an hour of coaxing each of the past two nights simply to get him to even let us insert the catheter. Just that step (no actual enema liquid was involved) had him screaming absolute bloody murder. Pretty sure all the neighbors think I torture my child now.

I'm keeping my sanity only by telling myself it'll get easier as he gets more used it.
Are you using plenty of lube (KY works just fine) to help with the insertion?
That's my purse! I don't know you!
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

ImLawBoy wrote: Thu Sep 01, 2022 11:57 am I didn't have an enema for my colonoscopy or my colon surgery - just prep both times. I think your doctor is in league with Big Enema.
Maybe, the cost comes out of my deductible co-insure.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

{wanders into thread)

Enlarge Image

Sorry to hear about all these struggles Skiny. And sorry I missed the big C for you ILB. F cancer.
Maybe next year, maybe no go

Post by Default »

Jeff V wrote: Wed Aug 31, 2022 3:15 pm
Default wrote: Mon Aug 29, 2022 5:18 pm
Jeff V wrote: Mon Aug 29, 2022 3:42 pm
Isgrimnur wrote: Sun Aug 28, 2022 5:46 pm Yup. My low-light reading ability is rapidly approaching nil.
This is why I struggle doing Uber after dark. I need to find some bi-focal reading glasses that are clear lens on the top and +2.00 readers on the bottom. I actually have sunglasses like that, and on rainy days where it's too dark to wear sunglasses, I also struggle reading the phone.
readers.com
Thanks, but now they are spanning the crap out of ever app I use on my phone! I was going to order from them...but today I found some at Menards (where I got my bifocal sunglasses). Menards was about 1/3 cheaper.
So, unsubscribe.
"pcp, lsd, thc, tgb...it's all good." ~ Kraken
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

With my upcoming prostate surgery we've been preparing for the time period after I get my catheter removed but before I'm over my incontinence. So we ordered some men's Depends underwear and today I tested them, by wearing them for a couple of hours and peeing into them as I stood, sat and stretched out in my recliner. They are as good as advertised, so that's one more checkbox ticked.
My father said that anything is interesting if you bother to read about it - Michael C. Harrold
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Marathon gaming sessions unlocked!
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

God's shoes and sandals are helping with my foot pain. It's too soon to tell whether they will clear it up or if I'll need to see my doctor. I did walk 5 miles so far this week without major pain, so that's an improvement. I think I'm gonna get me some OrthoFeet slippers, too, as it seems like my pain gets worse whenever I walk without proper foot support (barefoot or in slippers). Having already spent $215 on footwear this month I'm not going to get the slippers until fall weather sets in.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

I need new slippers too. Im also waiting. I need a pair of black shoes and some white ones. Thinking Converse style canvas mid tops for both. Some classic white Converse and some kinds black knockoffs. Too much right now. As a kid I found them uncomfortable. Have to try them on first. Clothing and shoes are just a couple things I refuse to order online.
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

Isgrimnur wrote: Sat Sep 03, 2022 3:34 pm Marathon gaming sessions unlocked!
Yeah, that did occur to me :wink:.
My father said that anything is interesting if you bother to read about it - Michael C. Harrold
stessier

Post by stessier »

Daehawk wrote: Sat Sep 03, 2022 3:44 pm I need new slippers too. Im also waiting. I need a pair of black shoes and some white ones. Thinking Converse style canvas mid tops for both. Some classic white Converse and some kinds black knockoffs. Too much right now. As a kid I found them uncomfortable. Have to try them on first. Clothing and shoes are just a couple things I refuse to order online.
Why do you need a pair of each? I don't have a pair of each and I leave the house regularly.
I require a reminder as to why raining arcane destruction is not an appropriate response to all of life's indignities. - Vaarsuvius
Running____2014: 1300.55 miles____2015: 2036.13 miles____2016: 1012.75 miles____2017: 1105.82 miles____2018: 1318.91 miles__2019: 2000.00 miles
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Ive always worn black shoes since i was like 20. As a kid it was white. All I have right now are some brown shoes. Brown all the time every time. Im tired of it. I want the black ones because thats my style. I want the white one due to a poll and girls liked white shoes on a guy :P
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Don't let your ego write checks that your bank won't cash.
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

ImLawBoy wrote: Wed Aug 31, 2022 10:58 pm I will suggest that it might get better after a week or two, if for no other reason that you'll probably get into a routine. It's not to say he'll like it, but he'll get used to it a bit (and if it helps, that might make him even more accepting of it).
So, the first two days were horrific. He fought it every step of the way, screaming absolute bloody murder. We were very patient and got through it, but...yeah. It was really rough.

Over the last three days though, I think he's started to realize how much this is helping him. He hasn't soiled any pants once since we started (he used to be going through 3-4 paid of underwear a day), he doesn't stink, his appetite is back, and he can be active without being afraid he's going to mess. It's honestly like having a whole different kid in the house. He's cheerful, he's actively running around, he's not as mopey, he's more confident, and he's sleeping better. We've figured out a routine and now that he realizes it's not as awful as he had built it up in his mind, it's pretty easy. Last two nights were done without any fuss at all. It's truly incredible the difference that it's making.

We haven't broken it to him yet that this will likely have to continue for the next six months (hoping that doesn't turn the attitude back negative), but it is getting much, much easier.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Glad to hear things are coming out ok.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

How old is he again and is this the slow learner child? I dont know how else to put that in todays slang. Just trying to figure out why he is so resistant without going back through the thread. Maybe Im confusing your child and Lawboys. Apologies if so.

Im glad to hear he is doing better no matter what the case. Children can be temperamental. I wish you the best.
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

Daehawk wrote: Sun Sep 04, 2022 11:14 pm How old is he again and is this the slow learner child?
He’s 9 and doesn’t have any learning or developmental challenges. Was just the encopresis issue.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Then I did confuse you and Law sorry. I can only imagine how embarrassing it must be to him. Again Im glad its becoming easier as he sees how it is helping him.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

I pulled a muscle in my arm.
I told my doc it hurts to do this.
She said then don't do that.
I started laughing.
She had no idea why I was laughing.
Young people.. phssssstz
WYBaugh

Post by WYBaugh »

Any TMJ sufferers here? I've had the popping/grinding in the jaws for years but just recently I'm having issues where I'm unable to open my mouth fully and closing, it feels like my jaws are not aligned.

Heading to the dentist on Thursday for another issue but will talk to them about it.

Anyone else dealing with this and have suggestions?
stessier

Post by stessier »

WYBaugh wrote: Tue Sep 06, 2022 4:36 pm Any TMJ sufferers here? I've had the popping/grinding in the jaws for years but just recently I'm having issues where I'm unable to open my mouth fully and closing, it feels like my jaws are not aligned.

Heading to the dentist on Thursday for another issue but will talk to them about it.

My wife had it. She was actually getting bone loss as a result. A year of hot/cold alternating compresses each night plus a round of steroids every six months has started to reverse the process and she says she no longer has pain. Still monitoring, but headed in the right direction. Had that failed, they were talking injections, so she's happy there is progress.
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

WYBaugh wrote: Tue Sep 06, 2022 4:36 pm Any TMJ sufferers here?
Nope, sorry :(. I actually had to look up TMJ

I'm one week away from my prostate surgery. Today we drove the hour over to Orlando to check out the hospital, parking situation, where we wait, stuff like that. We also drove from the hospital to our hotel where we both will be staying the night before and where my wife will be staying by herself the night of my surgery. While it is only seven miles away from the hospital, getting to the hotel requires traveling through some of the worse traffic in Orlando, which my wife will be doing at night after spending all day at the hospital waiting for my surgery to be done then keeping me company.

I'm having anxiety over the situation, but not over the surgery; it's cancer and I have to get rid of it and I do have one of the best surgeons and his organization. I'm worried about my 72 year old wife who is absolutely sure she can handle dealing with all of this. She is a force of nature and there's no way she would consider having someone help her or keep her company. I'm probably being overly concerned over this, but as I always tell her, that's what made me a good engineer :roll:.

At least I've now "seen the elephant" as far as the layout and where I go, etc and it's very straight forward. I don't even need to check at the lobby desk, I just sit and wait and their concierge (I'm not kidding) will come get us and take us upstairs to their dedicated prep, surgery and recovery floor. And what makes me happier is that the waiting area for my wife is right outside the surgical area, unlike her last major surgery where I had to wait on a different floor in a common waiting area the size of a cafeteria :roll:. So at least she won't have to be traipsing across half the hospital to see me.

I'm still worried of course and I'll probably be needing to take sleeping pills the next few nights, but I keep telling myself that in a couple of weeks I'll be sitting at home wondering what I was so worried about... as I pee into my absorbent underwear 8-)
WYBaugh

Post by WYBaugh »

stessier wrote: Tue Sep 06, 2022 4:47 pm
WYBaugh wrote: Tue Sep 06, 2022 4:36 pm Any TMJ sufferers here? I've had the popping/grinding in the jaws for years but just recently I'm having issues where I'm unable to open my mouth fully and closing, it feels like my jaws are not aligned.

My wife had it. She was actually getting bone loss as a result. A year of hot/cold alternating compresses each night plus a round of steroids every six months has started to reverse the process and she says she no longer has pain. Still monitoring, but headed in the right direction. Had that failed, they were talking injections, so she's happy there is progress.
That sounds promising. Just an annoyance that I don't need! And I'm expected to get a crown on Thursday and not sure if I can even open my mouth that wide. Should really add to the already enjoyable procedure.
WYBaugh

Post by WYBaugh »

jztemple2 wrote: Tue Sep 06, 2022 5:04 pm

I'm one week away from my prostate surgery. Today we drove the hour over to Orlando to check out the hospital, parking situation, where we wait, stuff like that. We also drove from the hospital to our hotel where we both will be staying the night before and where my wife will be staying by herself the night of my surgery. While it is only seven miles away from the hospital, getting to the hotel requires traveling through some of the worse traffic in Orlando, which my wife will be doing at night after spending all day at the hospital waiting for my surgery to be done then keeping me company.

I'm having anxiety over the situation, but not over the surgery; it's cancer and I have to get rid of it and I do have one of the best surgeons and his organization. I'm worried about my 72 year old wife who is absolutely sure she can handle dealing with all of this. She is a force of nature and there's no way she would consider having someone help her or keep her company. I'm probably being overly concerned over this, but as I always tell her, that's what made me a good engineer :roll:.

At least I've now "seen the elephant" as far as the layout and where I go, etc and it's very straight forward. I don't even need to check at the lobby desk, I just sit and wait and their concierge (I'm not kidding) will come get us and take us upstairs to their dedicated prep, surgery and recovery floor. And what makes me happier is that the waiting area for my wife is right outside the surgical area, unlike her last major surgery where I had to wait on a different floor in a common waiting area the size of a cafeteria :roll:. So at least she won't have to be traipsing across half the hospital to see me.

I'm still worried of course and I'll probably be needing to take sleeping pills the next few nights, but I keep telling myself that in a couple of weeks I'll be sitting at home wondering what I was so worried about... as I pee into my absorbent underwear 8-)
Good luck and you'll kick ass. My uncle had the procedure and he did great afterwards.

I had a prostate biopsy a couple of years ago due to enlarged prostate, high numbers, etc. I'll probably be headed down this route at some point.
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

jztemple2 wrote: Tue Sep 06, 2022 5:04 pm

Good luck jz!
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

Can one dislocate a shoulder in one's sleep?

My right arm is just barely functional today, with the help of some CBD tincture and Advil. But my right foot -- the bane of my existence for the past several weeks -- feels fine! It's like the right side of my body has a minimum pain quota that it's just moving around. Yesterday it was my elbow.

If I'm still crippled in the morning I'm calling the damned doctor.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

I bet you have bursitis. Same exact thing happened to my wife like 6+ years ago. Woke up one morning and had insane pain in her arm.
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

Smoove_B wrote: Tue Sep 06, 2022 10:17 pm I bet you have bursitis. Same exact thing happened to my wife like 6+ years ago. Woke up one morning and had insane pain in her arm.
Thanks, that could be. The pain feels like it's in the bone and joint, and it's really intense in certain orientations. However, there's no visible redness or swelling, or any noticeable feeling of warmth. I'd shrug but it hurts too much. :P
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

She didn't have any redness or swelling either. From what I recall, she remembered rolling over at some point and feeling a twinge. Woke up and had intense pain. Take some Ibuprofen if you can...
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Shot in the joint will clear that right up.

On a side note I remember waking up once and my right arm was totally dead. It swung up and hit me in the face giving me a black eye. I was jolted fully awake and ready to fight it.
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

Smoove_B wrote: Tue Sep 06, 2022 10:35 pm She didn't have any redness or swelling either. From what I recall, she remembered rolling over at some point and feeling a twinge. Woke up and had intense pain. Take some Ibuprofen if you can...
Ibuprofen, CBD, beer, and weed have walled off most of the pain if I don't move the wrong way. I got this. :wink:

Seriously, I apply Aunt Jeanne's advice to every new malady: Just walk it off. I push past pain until it goes away, because pain is in the mind and one mustn't give in. The relevant metric is, Is it getting better/worse/staying the same? I invoke doctors if it doesn't get better and I can't figure out how to treat it myself. I think better shoes fixed my foot, for example.

We'll see how it feels in the morning when my meds wear off. I'm going away this weekend and would like to have the use of both arms.
Scuzz

Post by Scuzz »

Smoove_B wrote: Tue Sep 06, 2022 10:17 pm I bet you have bursitis. Same exact thing happened to my wife like 6+ years ago. Woke up one morning and had insane pain in her arm.
I woke up one morning and couldn’t raise my arm. I thought it might be rotator cuff problems. After waiting a couple days I went to the doc and he decided it was bursitis and gave me a cortisone shot. That cleared it up. I will occasionally get some stiffness but nothing like that first time.
Black Lives Matter
Unagi

Post by Unagi »

Kraken wrote: Tue Sep 06, 2022 10:09 pm Can one dislocate a shoulder in one's sleep?

My right arm is just barely functional today, with the help of some CBD tincture and Advil. But my right foot -- the bane of my existence for the past several weeks -- feels fine! It's like the right side of my body has a minimum pain quota that it's just moving around. Yesterday it was my elbow.

If I'm still crippled in the morning I'm calling the damned doctor.
I developed (last year) a 'Frozen Shoulder' - and it hurt like hell doing specific motions but didn't hurt when I pushed against someone holding my arm down... That was key in the diagnosis. The muscles/ligaments could push back against someone trying to hold me down, so they were OK in that regard, but they would (or a nerve would) scream bloody murder and not be able to move into any number of positions.

Got a shot, helped about 40-50% of it.
Went to PT for a few months - helped another 20-25% of it.
Over the year, it's now up to about 90% normal, with just one real maneuver that still makes me wince.