We're getting old (OO medical complaints)

Everything else!

Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

dbt1949

Re: We're getting old (OO medical complaints)

Post by dbt1949 »

Tuesday I had my right leg amputated.
And I have a little sniffles.
Ye Olde Farte
Double Ought Forty
aka dbt1949
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Daehawk and the Terrible, Horrible, No Good, Very Bad Week.
Maybe next year, maybe no go
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

dbt1949 wrote: Thu Jun 17, 2021 1:07 pm Tuesday I had my right leg amputated.
And I have a little sniffles.
Wait what. Why'd you do that?? Those dont grow back!

Seriously though Im sorry. To be nosy are you diabetic or something? Im rambling. Dont know how to speak on this. Just know Im very sorry you had to do that and I hope you heal quick and easy....which sounds silly to say I suppose too.
--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"
dbt1949

Post by dbt1949 »

I was being silly.
Ye Olde Farte
Double Ought Forty
aka dbt1949
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

dbt1949 wrote: Thu Jun 17, 2021 4:18 pm I was being silly.
Enlarge Image
Zarathud

Post by Zarathud »

Took a header walking down the sidewalk after my daughter's 8th grade graduation today. Face planted on my right knee, twisting my right wrist and scraping both my palms. My glasses went flying.

I'm not sure if my foot missed a step or the sidewalk was uneven, was distracted by carrying the cap and gown, or I had a bit of vertigo. I am a big guy and falling down hard was not a pretty sight. Messed up my day.
"If the facts don't fit the theory, change the facts." - Albert Einstein
"I don't stand by anything." - Trump
“Bad men need nothing more to compass their ends, than that good men should look on and do nothing.” - John Stuart Mill, Inaugural Address Delivered to the University of St Andrews, 2/1/1867
“It is the impractical things in this tumultuous hell-scape of a world that matter most. A book, a name, chicken soup. They help us remember that, even in our darkest hour, life is still to be savored.” - Poe, Altered Carbon
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Your post leaves me wondering why your face is on your right knee.
Zarathud

Post by Zarathud »

I wish I was that flexible. I twisted as I dropped to the ground. The knee and wrist caught the sidewalk just before my face. Ended up on my side.
"If the facts don't fit the theory, change the facts." - Albert Einstein
"I don't stand by anything." - Trump
“Bad men need nothing more to compass their ends, than that good men should look on and do nothing.” - John Stuart Mill, Inaugural Address Delivered to the University of St Andrews, 2/1/1867
“It is the impractical things in this tumultuous hell-scape of a world that matter most. A book, a name, chicken soup. They help us remember that, even in our darkest hour, life is still to be savored.” - Poe, Altered Carbon
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Sounds like it hurt like hell and was embarrassing. Just wait until tomorrow and the next day though.
Holman

Post by Holman »

So a couple of weeks back I decided I had something to prove and did double my normal bicycle route, meaning 20 miles.

I guess I wasn't up for it, because I seem to have wounded the IT band (a long connective tissue "stabilizer") in my right leg.

I thought it would work itself out, but after two weeks I can still barely put weight on that leg after sleeping or even sitting for any real length of time. I always have to limp painfully around for five minutes and do a few stretches before I can walk normally again, but the pain comes back the next time I'm immobile for a while.

I'm stepping up my stretching techniques, but I wonder if anyone has experience with this. Will I eventually be able to stretch it away, or do I need to consult an orthopedist?
Much prefer my Nazis Nuremberged.
malchior

Post by malchior »

I've occasionally injured my IT band skating...it's sucks. The worst part is getting in and out of the car if it is on the left side. That swing out is the worst.

I've never had to have anyone professionally look at it. Well sorta*. Generally it just takes a long time to heal because it's so involved in...everything. Sorta like a back injury in a way. One fix to help lower healing time is KT tape to add support. You'd have to look up the right application but that is the one strong recommendation I'd make. It'll cut down healing time as it'll have to do less work but you'll still get natural motion/blood moving into the area.

*My wife's team has a team physio who gave me some advice on this and other random injuries. His full-time job is a Physical Therapist and he gets credit towards his cert by helping out the team.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Oooh, I just learned I have that too. It only hurts when I kneel down on my right knee, but it wasn't a pain I'd ever experienced before. No idea how I did it (definitely not biking) but it wouldn't surprise me if it was somehow connected to the tennis elbow I gave myself on my opposite arm back in February. For the record, it's still not better, though much better than it was in February.

Really not enjoying slowly falling apart.
Maybe next year, maybe no go
hitbyambulance

Post by hitbyambulance »

went to doctor this AM to get my annual liver levels measurement. hope they're still good
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Got my blood work today. Asked them to toss in a thyroid test. I used to have an under performing one then it went normal on me and I quit meds years ago. No symptoms. Just want o be sure. Had to sit an entire hour in the waiting room just to be stuck for blood work. My bp was spot on normal and Id lost 10 pounds.

Ive cut down my salt a little and cut out almost all meat. Been veg'n on cabbage, broccoli, cauliflower, turnip greens, brussels sprouts and the like and to one or two colas a day the rest water.
dbt1949

Post by dbt1949 »

Took my wife to the dentist this afternoon. They gave her some antibiotics. Half hour later she threw up on them. Can't believe the dentist didn't know the side effects of that. Don't take them on an empty stomach. Now I have to reschedule a new appointment.
Ye Olde Farte
Double Ought Forty
aka dbt1949
hitbyambulance

Post by hitbyambulance »

update: normal!

except doctor says vitamin D and B12 levels are low. to be expected for a vegetarian Seattlite, i guess, but what can i do about the B12?

doctor suggested:

#1: Increase your daily B12 intake by 1000mcg.
#2: Increase your daily vitamin D intake by 2000 IU.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Take a vitamin?
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

#2 - move to where the sun is.

Wait a second...isn't too much sun a real problem in Seattle right now? Maybe you shouldn't be dressed in grunge black when you go out...
Black Lives Matter
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

Most debilitating injury for the least amount of effort ever:

The other night I stretched my leg while sleeping and felt a sharp pain. I went back to sleep, but when I woke up I could barely walk due to severe knee pain. No swelling, but it kept getting worse. From the location on the outer side, and no pain on the top or inside area, I looked at a diagram and am speculating a sprain or tear to the lateral meniscus. Today I used my desk chair as a makeshift wheelchair so I could at least roll into the kitchen to make breakfast. I can stand up, but any walking is super painful. I can sit or lay in bed with my knee propped up without pain, it's only when I move.

I ordered some crutches that will be here on Wednesday. If no improvement by then I might actually have to go to the doctor. Either way I'm looking at months to heal.
Jaymann
]==(:::::::::::::>
Black Lives Matter
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

Jaymann wrote: Mon Aug 02, 2021 10:42 pm Most debilitating injury for the least amount of effort ever:

The other night I stretched my leg while sleeping and felt a sharp pain. I went back to sleep, but when I woke up I could barely walk due to severe knee pain. No swelling, but it kept getting worse. From the location on the outer side, and no pain on the top or inside area, I looked at a diagram and am speculating a sprain or tear to the lateral meniscus. Today I used my desk chair as a makeshift wheelchair so I could at least roll into the kitchen to make breakfast. I can stand up, but any walking is super painful. I can sit or lay in bed with my knee propped up without pain, it's only when I move.

I ordered some crutches that will be here on Wednesday. If no improvement by then I might actually have to go to the doctor. Either way I'm looking at months to heal.
Good gosh :shock:. Hopefully it won't be as bad at that to recover. Is it time for a total knee replacement? I've got lots to say about that, as I'm very close to someone who has had it done four times (the third was to do over the second, the fourth was to replace some of the parts of the first).

About three years ago I was having some knee pain and our knee doc diagnosed it as a torn meniscus (which one I don't remember). He gave me a Cortisone shot and told me that when the pain came back to come see him again. Thankfully the pain has never returned :ninja:

Since the last postings in this thread a month ago we had some things going on here at the Temple. Me, I'm doing great. In fact I've been on an uber-diet since the beginning of June and have lost twenty pounds :D. It's a good thing since my wife (my associate OOer) isn't doing well. Back a couple of months ago she was finally diagnosed as having a nasal polyp that's not only blocking almost the entire airflow through one nostril but has also gone down and filled the adjoining sinus cavity. She's been miserable. Scheduling surgery has been a very, very slow process. We're finally on the schedule for the end of August, if of course we don't get postponed due to Covid overwhelming the hospital we're going to.

By the way, don't mention that I told you. She's weird about people knowing, which is strange since it is really affecting her speech.
My father said that anything is interesting if you bother to read about it - Michael C. Harrold
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

An ACE bandage or knee brace might help.
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

In lighter news, my cholesterol dropped 100 points from hair-on-fire-level to Susan-Collins-level concerned after a couple of months on a statin, so now I'm on a statin forever. As, I presume, is almost everyone else here, but being in your club doesn't make me happy.
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

Daehawk wrote: Mon Aug 02, 2021 11:51 pm An ACE bandage or knee brace might help.
Not sure how to wrap an ACE bandage around her nose

My father said that anything is interesting if you bother to read about it - Michael C. Harrold
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

Kraken wrote: Mon Aug 02, 2021 11:52 pm In lighter news, my cholesterol dropped 100 points from hair-on-fire-level to Susan-Collins-level concerned after a couple of months on a statin, so now I'm on a statin forever. As, I presume, is almost everyone else here, but being in your club doesn't make me happy.
I'm on a statin not because of cholesterol but because my doctor at the time (about four doctors ago) said that if I was taking meds for high blood pressure he wanted me to have a statin as well. Each doc since then, when I tell them the story, say "Oh, OK" and continue the prescription. Doctors are weird.
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

jztemple2 wrote: Mon Aug 02, 2021 11:59 pm
Kraken wrote: Mon Aug 02, 2021 11:52 pm In lighter news, my cholesterol dropped 100 points from hair-on-fire-level to Susan-Collins-level concerned after a couple of months on a statin, so now I'm on a statin forever. As, I presume, is almost everyone else here, but being in your club doesn't make me happy.
I'm on a statin not because of cholesterol but because my doctor at the time (about four doctors ago) said that if I was taking meds for high blood pressure he wanted me to have a statin as well. Each doc since then, when I tell them the story, say "Oh, OK" and continue the prescription. Doctors are weird.
My best friend, a D.O., thinks statins should be in the water supply.
Scuzz

Post by Scuzz »

Kraken wrote: Tue Aug 03, 2021 12:26 am
jztemple2 wrote: Mon Aug 02, 2021 11:59 pm
My best friend, a D.O., thinks statins should be in the water supply.
My previous doctor, who moved to Hawaii probably 8 years ago to retire, once told me that he though someday there would be statins in our water supply just like flouride, or whatever it is they put in for teeth. He put me on them but at that time I had no blood pressure or cholesterol problems so I eventually quit. But now with a blockage going for me I am back on them, even with my cholesterol level at 145.

In talking to my pharmacist a few years ago I discovered my old doctor used to actually give lectures on the merits of statins.
Black Lives Matter
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Statins have been linked to early dementia.
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

Update: My knee is only slightly better, but I can hobble around as long as I don't twist it. Today I got my crutches, possibly the best $24 value ever.

Have a call in for a doctor appointment.
Jaymann
Black Lives Matter
YellowKing

Post by YellowKing »

How about some good news. I went to the eye doctor for the first time in 5-6 years and the doc said my eyes were fantastic and aside from a slight bump in my recommended reading glasses level, I was good to go. :horse:
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

This getting old plan that we all signed up for when we were young has a lot of fine print in it. I say we boycott old age and sue for better terms.
stessier

Post by stessier »

Daehawk wrote: Tue Aug 03, 2021 8:34 am Statins have been linked to early dementia.
That might not be true.
I require a reminder as to why raining arcane destruction is not an appropriate response to all of life's indignities. - Vaarsuvius
Global Steam Wishmaslist Tracking
Running____2014: 1300.55 miles____2015: 2036.13 miles____2016: 1012.75 miles____2017: 1105.82 miles____2018: 1318.91 miles__2019: 2000.00 miles
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

YellowKing wrote: Tue Aug 03, 2021 2:49 pm How about some good news. I went to the eye doctor for the first time in 5-6 years and the doc said my eyes were fantastic and aside from a slight bump in my recommended reading glasses level, I was good to go. :horse:
I for one welcome our Optimistic Overlords!
Jaymann
Black Lives Matter
Buatha

Post by Buatha »

I have been "fortunate" to have this accident late in life (50), but goddamn, it's one of THE worst shoulder injuries since the ways to fix it are akin to effing duct tape.

So, I was running after a frisbee (not looking down) and right as the ground sloped downward a bit...I was stretching to catch it. At this point, my center of gravity went to hell and I tried to roll into it since I was tipping forward. The key word is tried and ended up more in a downward slant and came down hard on my shoulder. The AC ligaments all snapped and essentially my shoulder is now only held in placed due to the rotator cuff.

Doctors say you can normally heal from this without surgery and building up your rotator cuff muscles, but my particular injury had my collar bone moving up when reaching overhead or leaning down to pick up something which would push into my trapezius muscle.

After two opinions, I had the surgery where they essentially drill a tunnel at the end of your collar bone (after trimming off the end and move a ligament over and stuffing into the tunnel. Since that isn't so great alone, they get a tendon from a cadaver and wrap it around the bony extrusion of your scapula and also tie it to your collar bone. It feels like the rope you use to tie your boat...the shoulder is moving around, but held somewhat in check by the surgery. It's now almost 5 months out and I still feel pain every day there...but people say it can take a year. This really ruined my outlook as I haven't been able to lift weights anymore and I was probably in the best shape of my life when turning 50.

But, I will give it a year before developing a drinking problem, wearing a fedora, and becoming a private eye.
"Some people say never...I just say no"
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

Buatha wrote: Tue Aug 03, 2021 5:25 pm But, I will give it a year before developing a drinking problem, wearing a fedora, and becoming a private eye.
Slacker, what's wrong with next week?
Black Lives Matter
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Plantar warts. They are making me angry. Moreso the treatment I bought with the secret instructions - so secret even the customer doesn't get to know them.

This week has me approaching a state of Hulk.
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)
dbt1949

Post by dbt1949 »

I'm getting so olde I have to use aspercream on my arthritis.
Ye Olde Farte
Double Ought Forty
aka dbt1949
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

Last week my wife pointed out I was developing varicose veins. I hadn't noticed.
Black Lives Matter
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

Second update. Doctor visit today, he says I pulled one of the smaller ligaments on the exterior of my knee. Prescribed an anti-inflammatory drug and showed me which knee brace to order on Amazon. Should be in fairly good shape in a couple weeks.
Jaymann
Black Lives Matter
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

I've been having to sleep with an arm brace on the last few weeks due to my ulnar nerve getting all out of whack. I think it is because of my sleeping position, but I've never had good luck changing that. Willpower doesn't help much when you're asleep.
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)
Scuzz

Post by Scuzz »

Daehawk wrote: Tue Aug 03, 2021 8:34 am Statins have been linked to early dementia.
Who is talking about statins?
Black Lives Matter