We're getting old (OO medical complaints)

Everything else!

Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

Isgrimnur

Re: We're getting old (OO medical complaints)

Post by Isgrimnur »

naednek wrote: Thu Apr 25, 2024 1:44 pm
Isgrimnur wrote: Thu Apr 25, 2024 12:33 pm Always hit the buffet.
well i figured that would make things worse the next day :P
Depends on the buffet.
It's almost as if people are the problem.
dbt1949

Post by dbt1949 »

Went to the VA today. They asked me if I was depressed and thought of suicide. I said yes. I wouldn't explain myself so they tried to get my d-i-l to have me committed for 'evaluation". Separated us too and grilled me also. I finally told them "I'm here for my cancer treatment. Does that sound like I'm suicidal?" Always put on a happy face for the nurses and doctors.
Ye Olde Farte
Double Ought Forty
aka dbt1949
em2nought

Post by em2nought »

dbt1949 wrote: Thu Apr 25, 2024 3:04 pm Went to the VA today. They asked me if I was depressed and thought of suicide. I said yes. I wouldn't explain myself so they tried to get my d-i-l to have me committed for 'evaluation". Separated us too and grilled me also. I finally told them "I'm here for my cancer treatment. Does that sound like I'm suicidal?" Always put on a happy face for the nurses and doctors.
I've got the idea that if I go to the VA it might be sort of suicidal. :think: Next you might want to go to the airport and joke about a bomb in your check bag. :lol:
Who knew you could have demands that people would meet, we'll be ready next January. LMAO
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

em2nought wrote: Thu Apr 25, 2024 4:46 pm
dbt1949 wrote: Thu Apr 25, 2024 3:04 pm Went to the VA today. They asked me if I was depressed and thought of suicide. I said yes. I wouldn't explain myself so they tried to get my d-i-l to have me committed for 'evaluation". Separated us too and grilled me also. I finally told them "I'm here for my cancer treatment. Does that sound like I'm suicidal?" Always put on a happy face for the nurses and doctors.
I've got the idea that if I go to the VA it might be sort of suicidal. :think: Next you might want to go to the airport and joke about a bomb in your check bag. :lol:
Or a tank. Like unloading your pockets, and saying, "Keys, wallet, Abrams tank, watch..." I'd recommend against that, as it will lead to a state in which you think of the TSA as a pack of obnoxious, power-mad dicks for the rest of your life.
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)
dbt1949

Post by dbt1949 »

Yep, I've learned to always lie. It's the American way!
Ye Olde Farte
Double Ought Forty
aka dbt1949
Punisher

Post by Punisher »

Isgrimnur wrote: Thu Apr 25, 2024 1:56 pm
naednek wrote: Thu Apr 25, 2024 1:44 pm
Isgrimnur wrote: Thu Apr 25, 2024 12:33 pm Always hit the buffet.
well i figured that would make things worse the next day :P
Depends on the buffet.
To be fair, depending on the buffet, you might not even need to take the prep medicine!
All yourLightning Bolts are Belong to Us
Punisher

Post by Punisher »

em2nought wrote: Thu Apr 25, 2024 4:46 pm
I did this accidentally once. They were not happy. Gave me the 3rd degree and in my head I'm thinking that they should ban coffee there.
Scuzz

Post by Scuzz »

It probably wasn’t the answering yes, but refusing to explain the answer that alarmed them. Tell the truth, but tell the whole truth.

I have told people that at some point suicide may look good to me, but I always include the reasoning behind it.
Black Lives Matter
naednek

Post by naednek »

Colonoscopy prep wasn't so bad. I mixed the drink with homemade lemonade instead of their lemon packet. The first day I was downing it with no issues. 2nd day, not so much, almost gagged a few times.

The procedure went find. Dr. was late, so I asked the nurse if he was.... wait for it.... behind.

I woke up towards the end of the procedure. It was weird that the female nurse was doing the procedure while the doctor monitored the screen.

They found two polyps. Now we wait.
hepcat - "I agree with Naednek"
Hrdina

Post by Hrdina »

naednek wrote: Mon Apr 29, 2024 1:31 pm The procedure went find. Dr. was late, so I asked the nurse if he was.... wait for it.... behind.
Did the nurse tell you to stop being an ass?
Conform or be cast out!
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Thats so anal.
--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"
naednek

Post by naednek »

Hrdina wrote: Mon Apr 29, 2024 8:38 pm
naednek wrote: Mon Apr 29, 2024 1:31 pm The procedure went find. Dr. was late, so I asked the nurse if he was.... wait for it.... behind.
Did the nurse tell you to stop being an ass?
that's always implied :)
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

Follow-up with the surgeon went as such: "The bone appears to be separating from the plate...I'm not too concerned, but if it continues, we might have to redo everything."

So there's that. It had been feeling better for a week or more, then a few days ago I put a 25# box of shrimp into the shopping cart then into my trunk (had my son take it into the house), and it hurt for 2 days. Today I had a small Latina girl struggle to get a 50# box into my car, all I could do was cheer her on. Then I gave a ride to a radio personality (WGN, don''t ask his name, I don't know) to a golf course -- he waxed poetic about the quality of the course and all I could do is nod, knowing golfing is not in my future anytime soon.
Black Lives Matter
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

Follow-up with the surgeon went as such: "The bone appears to be separating from the plate...I'm not too concerned, but if it continues, we might have to redo everything."

So there's that. It had been feeling better for a week or more, then a few days ago I put a 25# box of shrimp into the shopping cart then into my trunk (had my son take it into the house), and it hurt for 2 days. Today I had a small Latina girl struggle to get a 50# box into my car, all I could do was cheer her on. Then I gave a ride to a radio personality (WGN, don''t ask his name, I don't know) to a golf course -- he waxed poetic about the quality of the course and all I could do is nod, knowing golfing is not in my future anytime soon.
Black Lives Matter
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

When in doubt double down.
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

I tweaked my back walking upstairs a couple of days ago, just minutes before I had to drive for 2.5 hours. Thanks to a major accident on the Pike that 2.5-hour drive took almost 4 hours. Then today I drove back for 3 hours after sleeping fitfully in a motel bed. My back is so crippled that I'm shuffling along hunched over like a man 10% older than I am. It's just muscle pain that will resolve in a day or two now that I'm back to my routine, but 7 hours in the Miata didn't do me any favors, especially the part where I was riding the clutch in stop-and-crawl traffic for an hour. A self-driving function would have been lovely then.

Eventually I won't be able to fold myself into that seat anymore. I'm not there yet, but the day when I'm going to need some big-ass car with an automatic transmission is getting closer. Preferably one that drives itself sometimes.
coopasonic

Post by coopasonic »

Being an old, I got the first dose of the shingles vaccine yesterday... ugh, today has not been pleasant. Left work early and heading for a nap.
-Coop
Black Lives Matter
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

That reminds me - I need to go in for my second. I'm not looking forward to it - I basically need to plan a couple of throwaway days.
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

I did my two doses earlier this year. It wasn't too bad for me but then I'm Immunosuppressed so immunizations aren't as effective. Hopefully it's effective enough that I'm good for life anyway.
Hrdina

Post by Hrdina »

coopasonic wrote: Wed May 01, 2024 1:30 pm Being an old, I got the first dose of the shingles vaccine yesterday... ugh, today has not been pleasant. Left work early and heading for a nap.
I did OK with the first dose of that (shingrix), but the second dose really wiped me out the next day. I had enough of a fever that I stayed home from work and slept.
Conform or be cast out!
dbt1949

Post by dbt1949 »

Oddly I don't remember any side effects.
Ye Olde Farte
Double Ought Forty
aka dbt1949
Holman

Post by Holman »

Don't mess around with shingles. I had a dose of it in 2020. Emotional stress is a factor in triggering shingles, and mine erupted during the week I was visiting my father on his literal deathbed.

I had awful painful blisters on my face so that I resembled Lynch's Baron Harkonnen. I even had one on the tip of my nose, which (due to how blood flow works in the face) can lead to blindness. Fortunately I dodged that horror.
Much prefer my Nazis Nuremberged.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

coopasonic wrote: Wed May 01, 2024 1:30 pm Being an old, I got the first dose of the shingles vaccine yesterday... ugh, today has not been pleasant. Left work early and heading for a nap.
Being a near-old (I'm not claiming elderly status until the first number is a 6!), I just got back from getting my second. I've written the next couple of days off. If I can get stuff done, I will. If not, I'll sit in front of the TV, or read, or sleep, all with zero guilt.
naednek

Post by naednek »

naednek wrote: Mon Apr 29, 2024 1:31 pm Colonoscopy prep wasn't so bad. I mixed the drink with homemade lemonade instead of their lemon packet. The first day I was downing it with no issues. 2nd day, not so much, almost gagged a few times.

The procedure went find. Dr. was late, so I asked the nurse if he was.... wait for it.... behind.

I woke up towards the end of the procedure. It was weird that the female nurse was doing the procedure while the doctor monitored the screen.

They found two polyps. Now we wait.
All clear. One was benign, the other pre-cancerous.
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

Holman wrote: Wed May 01, 2024 5:43 pm Don't mess around with shingles. I had a dose of it in 2020. Emotional stress is a factor in triggering shingles, and mine erupted during the week I was visiting my father on his literal deathbed.

I had awful painful blisters on my face so that I resembled Lynch's Baron Harkonnen. I even had one on the tip of my nose, which (due to how blood flow works in the face) can lead to blindness. Fortunately I dodged that horror.
I got the earlier shingles vaccine and the doc says I should be good. My wife refuses to get the vaccine :roll:. I'm hoping one of her close relatives or friends will get it and put a scare into her.
My father said that anything is interesting if you bother to read about it - Michael C. Harrold
Punisher

Post by Punisher »

jztemple2 wrote: Thu May 02, 2024 6:40 pm
Holman wrote: Wed May 01, 2024 5:43 pm Don't mess around with shingles. I had a dose of it in 2020. Emotional stress is a factor in triggering shingles, and mine erupted during the week I was visiting my father on his literal deathbed.

I got the earlier shingles vaccine and the doc says I should be good. My wife refuses to get the vaccine :roll:. I'm hoping one of her close relatives or friends will get it and put a scare into her.
My wifes dad had it. He too refused to get vaccinated. He also didn't really believe in going to docs.
She said that he had a bad time of it and finally got the vaccine.
Sometimes people need things to happen to them to change their mind.
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

Punisher wrote: Thu May 02, 2024 9:22 pm Sometimes people need things to happen to them to change their mind.
My wife refused to wear a seatbelt. Then on a trip to Hawaii, as we were leaving the airport in a rental car, a cop on foot flagged us down. I was wearing my belt but she wasn't (in the passenger seat) and the cop gave her a ticket. That changed her mind; not safety, but money :wink:
My father said that anything is interesting if you bother to read about it - Michael C. Harrold
Punisher

Post by Punisher »

jztemple2 wrote: Thu May 02, 2024 9:31 pm
Punisher wrote: Thu May 02, 2024 9:22 pm Sometimes people need things to happen to them to change their mind.
My wife refused to wear a seatbelt. Then on a trip to Hawaii, as we were leaving the airport in a rental car, a cop on foot flagged us down. I was wearing my belt but she wasn't (in the passenger seat) and the cop gave her a ticket. That changed her mind; not safety, but money :wink:
Tell her to take an emt course and ride for a year. She'll change her mind about seatbelts and a lot of things. Unlike in the movies that front glass doesn't just brwak away.
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

Punisher wrote: Thu May 02, 2024 9:34 pm
Tell her to take an emt course and ride for a year. She'll change her mind about seatbelts and a lot of things. Unlike in the movies that front glass doesn't just brwak away.
Oh, she wears the seatbelt now (and for the past forty years :wink:). And I do the driving when we ride together, which is almost always. She said one time that I drive like someone's grandmother; I thanked her for the compliment.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

I was going to get both the pneumonia shot and the shingles one. I got the pneumonia one and it swelled my upper arm to golfball size, had a fever, ached and stayed that wasy 2 weeks. Needless to say I skipped the shingles one.

My father in law had shingles then later my wife had them. Looked bad and she said it hurt like hell. Bother used something called Domeboro powder on it and it seemed to help a lot.
telcta

Post by telcta »

jztemple2 wrote: Thu May 02, 2024 9:53 pm
Punisher wrote: Thu May 02, 2024 9:34 pm
Oh, she wears the seatbelt now (and for the past forty years :wink:). And I do the driving when we ride together, which is almost always. She said one time that I drive like someone's grandmother; I thanked her for the compliment.
I've never been ticketed for not wearing a seatbelt and never really thought about who gets the ticket. I figure the driver would be held responsible for the passengers wearing a seatbelt since it's a driving infraction but I see how the officer would write a ticket to an individual. Also, do seatbelt chimes ever stop bonging in late model vehicles?

I'm glad she's been wearing a seatbelt. It's such an automatic movement when I get into a car that it would feel odd if I don't fasten a seatbelt.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Daehawk wrote: Thu May 02, 2024 9:58 pm I was going to get both the pneumonia shot and the shingles one. I got the pneumonia one and it swelled my upper arm to golfball size, had a fever, ached and stayed that wasy 2 weeks. Needless to say I skipped the shingles one.

My father in law had shingles then later my wife had them. Looked bad and she said it hurt like hell. Bother used something called Domeboro powder on it and it seemed to help a lot.

Getting sick for a couple of days (at a time of your choosing) when you're in your 50s is a thousand times better than being even sicker for weeks in your 60s.

I'm very, very happy to lay on the couch for a couple of days if it means that I won't get the awful thing that other people in this thread have described.
Punisher

Post by Punisher »

Blackhawk wrote: Thu May 02, 2024 11:23 pm
Daehawk wrote: Thu May 02, 2024 9:58 pm I was going to get both the pneumonia shot and the shingles one. I got the pneumonia one and it swelled my upper arm to golfball size, had a fever, ached and stayed that wasy 2 weeks. Needless to say I skipped the shingles one.

Getting sick for a couple of days (at a time of your choosing) when you're in your 50s is a thousand times better than being even sicker for weeks in your 60s.

I'm very, very happy to lay on the couch for a couple of days if it means that I won't get the awful thing that other people in this thread have described.
This^^^
My father in law passed about 1-2 years after we married so i didn't see his reaction but my wife said he was miserable. It's also not a one and done like chicken pox.
I did see other people's reactions multiple times as an EMT...among other fun stuff...
The variations were from mid level pain to excruciating take them to the ER kind of pain..
If you're like me, your boss should be very understanding about having to take of off work for a few days, if needed. My first shot didn't affect me at all. I have to go get my second shot soon. If I could drive I'd already have it done. (June 6th can't get here quick enough!!!)
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Punisher wrote: Thu May 02, 2024 11:28 pm It's also not a one and done like chicken pox.
Interesting choice, as they're the same virus.
Punisher

Post by Punisher »

Blackhawk wrote: Thu May 02, 2024 11:33 pm
Punisher wrote: Thu May 02, 2024 11:28 pm It's also not a one and done like chicken pox.
Yep.. they just act differently i remembered that, but it's mostly a coincidence since i couldn't think of amother one and done disease... Also if IIRC you can't really get shingles if you haven't had chicken pox. But that could be wrong.
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

Punisher wrote: Thu May 02, 2024 11:37 pm
Blackhawk wrote: Thu May 02, 2024 11:33 pm
Yep.. they just act differently i remembered that, but it's mostly a coincidence since i couldn't think of amother one and done disease... Also if IIRC you can't really get shingles if you haven't had chicken pox. But that could be wrong.
I know you're at high risk if you've had the pox, because the virus is definitely lurking in your body. Dunno about the risk to those who haven't had pox. Maybe Smoove will tell us how it spreads.

My mom, who was a very stoic woman, said shingles was the worst pain she ever had in her life. You don't want to take it lightly.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

How long is a shingles shot good for.

We didn't wear seatbelts until we were ticketed in the early 2000s. Man it felt weird to wear one. And we had been in accidents without them. Then it felt weird not to wear one. I still sometimes forget but as soon as I take off it feels weird and I get it on.
Punisher

Post by Punisher »

Daehawk wrote: Thu May 02, 2024 11:42 pm How long is a shingles shot good for.

We didn't wear seatbelts until we were ticketed in the early 2000s. Man it felt weird to wear one. And we had been in accidents without them. Then it felt weird not to wear one. I still sometimes forget but as soon as I take off it feels weird and I get it on.
I cpuld be wrong but i think ots 2 shots separated by about 6 months and then youre done.
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

Daehawk wrote: Thu May 02, 2024 11:42 pm How long is a shingles shot good for.
For life, I think. Especially since you probably aren't getting it until you're already well on the way to being old. It's two shots, btw.
dbt1949

Post by dbt1949 »

Depends on when your house was built.
Ye Olde Farte
Double Ought Forty
aka dbt1949