We're getting old (OO medical complaints)

Everything else!

Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

Blackhawk

Re: We're getting old (OO medical complaints)

Post by Blackhawk »

Default wrote: Sun Mar 31, 2024 6:01 pm The funny thing is, most ADHD meds are based on amphetamine and methylphenidate, two of the oldest meds in use. The only difference is how it is formulated to release into the bloodstream.
Yep. Vyvanse is a prodrug, which means that it isn't an active drug in and of itself, but is something that your body converts into its active form - in this case, it converts it in the bloodstream. The rate of that conversion is directly tied to blood acidity. There are very few things that have any impact on blood acidity - but vitamin C is one of the few exceptions. It can cause a 'burst' of the drug effects with Vyvanse, while at the same time causing it to wear off faster.

I'm actually enjoying being off of it. I sleep better due to the lack of high-power stimulants in my body, I don't have to deal with two or so hours of extreme stimulation (the first couple of hours felt like I'd just had a pot of coffee), I don't have to deal with the hassles involved in filling a controlled substance, and I don't have to watch what time I ingest certain things, like foods with large amounts of vitamin C (my daily smoothie usually has a ton.) Not only that, but it's good for my heart to be off of that stuff.
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Great. Migraine aura. It's been a couple of years. Annoying, bad timing, but ooh, pretty!

I wouldn't be surprised if it was triggered by my draining my brain of chemicals after several years.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

As someone that also has visual migraines, I was told to pop some Tylenol or Advil to shorten the duration (for me it's only about 30 minutes at a clip), but Advil seems to cut it to about 10. I've never been able to determine a cause myself, but I'm guessing it's stress or blood pressure.
Maybe next year, maybe no go
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

I have normal to low blood pressure (and my resting heart rate is only about 56.) And there was nothing in particular that was different this morning - I slept fine, and at normal times, I haven't skipped meals, I'm not particularly stressed, I wasn't looking at anything that might cause it. The only thing that stands out is the elimination of the Vyvanse from my system (and I'm still in the 'cleaning it out' phase for a few more days.)

Of course, people with autism are more prone to this to begin with. It's thought to be tied to the fact that our sensory processing is different from other people.

And yeah, as soon as I noticed I popped two Tylenol and put on water for a cup of strong black tea (Yorkshire Gold, of course.) If it follows the usual pattern (and it is), the actual visual element only lasts for 15-30 minutes, after which I will (do) have a headache for an hour, after which I'll be a little tired for a couple of hours more. I only get these once every year or two, so it's more of a brief annoyance than anything.
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

I've had them for about 20 years now and I really can't figure out what kicks them off. Sometimes I'll get one or two a week for a few weeks, then nothing for 6+ months. There's probably been times where I've gone a year or longer between them, but I'd say over the last 5 the window between episodes has definitely shortened. I don't have any other discernible symptoms before or after they happen and it's only ever been a problem if I have to drive (which I clearly cannot).

I've also learned in the last year that I apparently have ocular rosacea and I've been dealing with a flare up now for about a week. If I could get Geordi La Forge eye replacements, at this point I think I would.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Have you considered an interim Visual Instrument and Sensory Organ Replacement (VISOR?)
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

Would also accept one of those. :)
pr0ner

Post by pr0ner »

Isgrimnur wrote: Sun Mar 31, 2024 6:50 pm A Federal bill would probably work.
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Even if Congress weren't completely dysfunctional, there's zero chance a bill like that would pass.
Last edited by pr0ner on Mon Apr 01, 2024 1:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Hodor.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

I'm well aware.
It's almost as if people are the problem.
stessier

Post by stessier »

Isgrimnur wrote: Fri Mar 29, 2024 7:11 pm The government should invalidate their patents, then.
Better to make end Evergreening. There's no logical reason it should exist.
I require a reminder as to why raining arcane destruction is not an appropriate response to all of life's indignities. - Vaarsuvius
Global Steam Wishmaslist Tracking
Running____2014: 1300.55 miles____2015: 2036.13 miles____2016: 1012.75 miles____2017: 1105.82 miles____2018: 1318.91 miles__2019: 2000.00 miles
dbt1949

Post by dbt1949 »

Found out today my funny bone is broken. HA!
Ye Olde Farte
Double Ought Forty
aka dbt1949
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

So you're saying it isn't humerus?
dbt1949

Post by dbt1949 »

Not so much,no.
Ye Olde Farte
Double Ought Forty
aka dbt1949
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

jztemple2 wrote: Sat Mar 30, 2024 10:34 pm I just found out that the full description of the surgery I am having this Thursday is "Right thumb carpometacarpal arthroplasty with flexi carpi radialis sling". Would worry the willies out of me except that my wife has had the surgery on both thumbs and gives it two thumbs up :wink:
Had the surgery today, things went very well. I opted against getting a nerve block and I'm glad I passed on it. The pain is pretty minor and I'm already using my thumb and fingers, limited only by the immense dressing covering where they cut me open, removed a bone and put in a rolled up piece of my forearm tendon.

The anesthesia doc told me the block would leave my arm numb and hanging in a sling for fifteen or so hours.
My father said that anything is interesting if you bother to read about it - Michael C. Harrold
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

jztemple2 wrote: Thu Apr 04, 2024 4:39 pm
jztemple2 wrote: Sat Mar 30, 2024 10:34 pm I just found out that the full description of the surgery I am having this Thursday is "Right thumb carpometacarpal arthroplasty with flexi carpi radialis sling". Would worry the willies out of me except that my wife has had the surgery on both thumbs and gives it two thumbs up :wink:
Had the surgery today, things went very well. I opted against getting a nerve block and I'm glad I passed on it. The pain is pretty minor and I'm already using my thumb and fingers, limited only by the immense dressing covering where they cut me open, removed a bone and put in a rolled up piece of my forearm tendon.
Enlarge Image
My father said that anything is interesting if you bother to read about it - Michael C. Harrold
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

They can rebuild him...better, stronger, faster. He is..The Medicaid Man
--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

jztemple2 wrote: Sat Apr 06, 2024 3:20 pm
jztemple2 wrote: Thu Apr 04, 2024 4:39 pm
Enlarge Image
Eight days after surgery, my dressing is removed. Sorry for the poor focus, I had to hit the shutter with my nose :roll:
Enlarge Image

My new cast. It needs to be on three weeks so the thumb will recover in the preferred alignment with the wrist. Then I start therapy to strengthen the muscles.
Enlarge Image
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Good on you bro. Do what they tell ya and you'll be making nasty jeering gestures with that thumb in no time.
Punisher

Post by Punisher »

Would have been a lot quicker if you just had Snip Snip do it..
All yourLightning Bolts are Belong to Us
dbt1949

Post by dbt1949 »

They gave me a sleep pill,temazepam, only it don't work. I got an hours sleep and here I am. They are standard dose and they say not too take another. But also say if it's not working to double the dose with a doctor's permission. I bet he'd tell me to take another one.
Ye Olde Farte
Double Ought Forty
aka dbt1949
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

dbt1949 wrote: Tue Apr 16, 2024 1:10 am They gave me a sleep pill,temazepam, only it don't work. I got an hours sleep and here I am. They are standard dose and they say not too take another. But also say if it's not working to double the dose with a doctor's permission. I bet he'd tell me to take another one.
As your internet doctor I bestow permission upon thee. But have you tried melatonin? I can't use it because it aggravates my depression, but it does make one nod off.
Punisher

Post by Punisher »

I'm currently on Trazadone 1000mg.
I had something else in the before times but it got yanked due to my medical issues.
Sometimes it helps, sometimes it doesn't.
Ive also taking 100mg of melatonin. Same tjing. Sometimes it help sometimes it doesn't. This is all at the same time i take oxy, prescription and otc allergy meds, and more.
I truly understood Coop when he said thats a small drop in a very large bucket of drugs...
dbt1949

Post by dbt1949 »

I finally got sleepy an hour later and passed out like a drunken sailor. Maybe this shit just takes a couple of hours. Woke feeling like a drunken sailor too.
Ye Olde Farte
Double Ought Forty
aka dbt1949
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Punisher wrote: Tue Apr 16, 2024 2:16 am Ive also taking 100mg of melatonin.
:shock: That's a huge dose! The 'ideal' dose for most people is about 1/2 of one milligram (most retail products are 3-10mg, marketed to the 'more is better' crowd.)
dbt1949

Post by dbt1949 »

melatonin makes my eyes heavy and I get sleepy but I can't fall asleep. I use valarian drops which does the same thing. The two together don't work any better, neither does doubling doses. Of course it all varies from person to person.
Ye Olde Farte
Double Ought Forty
aka dbt1949
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Too much melatonin does the reverse of what it should. I think the dose is around 12mg for sleep.

Best make me sleep medicine for me is Benadryl. Just double its dose and I sleep the night away. Barring that the stomach pill for nausea called Phenergan will knock me out cold at 2 pills 25mg each.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Daehawk wrote: Tue Apr 16, 2024 2:37 pm Too much melatonin does the reverse of what it should. I think the dose is around 12mg for sleep.
The dose is under 1mg for sleep, with higher doses having the same general effect, but mostly just increase the side effects (like having trouble waking up the next morning.) Going even higher is like dumping a gallon of water into a shotglass.

It isn't intended as a daily sleep aid. It's the same thing your body makes to make you sleepy, and it is cleared out of your body the same way (if you do something to keep yourself awake, it'll counter the melatonin - especially if it involves lots of light.) Melatonin is for adjusting your sleep schedule. You just got a new schedule at work and it has you getting up two hours earlier. You can't just fall asleep two hours earlier, so you take melatonin for two or three days to set your brain's "bed time" to the earlier time, then stop. It's good for fixing jet lag the same way. Taking it for longer just screws up your body, as it stops making melatonin on its own, and you start requiring it to sleep at all.
Punisher

Post by Punisher »

Blackhawk wrote: Tue Apr 16, 2024 12:08 pm
Punisher wrote: Tue Apr 16, 2024 2:16 am Ive also taking 100mg of melatonin.
:shock: That's a huge dose! The 'ideal' dose for most people is about 1/2 of one milligram (most retail products are 3-10mg, marketed to the 'more is better' crowd.)
They are 5mb pills i think. Ive tried 1 pill, then 2 pills, etc...didn't do anything. I stopped at 100mb though.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Punisher wrote: Tue Apr 16, 2024 7:49 pm They are 5mb pills i think. Ive tried 1 pill, then 2 pills, etc...didn't do anything. I stopped at 100mb though.

You need to be careful ingesting that much data.
Punisher

Post by Punisher »

Blackhawk wrote: Tue Apr 16, 2024 7:52 pm
Punisher wrote: Tue Apr 16, 2024 7:49 pm They are 5mb pills i think. Ive tried 1 pill, then 2 pills, etc...didn't do anything. I stopped at 100mb though.

You need to be careful ingesting that much data.
Ugh... its probably ok. I thi k dyalisis increased my throughput
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

Doctor is giving me 6 months to get my A1C down (currently 7.6) before putting me on Insulin. He'd also go with Farxiga or Ozempic, but both are well over $1500/mo, making death the more cost-effective option. Biden's cost control on Insulin make that a feasible option.
Black Lives Matter
em2nought

Post by em2nought »

Jeff V wrote: Wed Apr 17, 2024 5:48 pm Doctor is giving me 6 months to get my A1C down (currently 7.6) before putting me on Insulin. He'd also go with Farxiga or Ozempic, but both are well over $1500/mo, making death the more cost-effective option. Biden's cost control on Insulin make that a feasible option.
What's it cost in the Philippines for Farxiga or Ozempic?
"Four more years!" "Pause." LMAO
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Canada is closer
em2nought

Post by em2nought »

Isgrimnur wrote: Wed Apr 17, 2024 10:09 pm Canada is closer
...but Canada is boring. :wink:
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

em2nought wrote: Thu Apr 18, 2024 1:26 am
I would revel in the glorious dullness of life in Canuckistan. Wife is supposed to investigate dual citizenship because her ancestors are from there.
em2nought

Post by em2nought »

Kraken wrote: Thu Apr 18, 2024 2:31 am
em2nought wrote: Thu Apr 18, 2024 1:26 am
I would revel in the glorious dullness of life in Canuckistan. Wife is supposed to investigate dual citizenship because her ancestors are from there.
You could fine nice boring areas in Philippines too, but for pennies on the dollar. I'd definitely like the weather better in Canada. but I'll be a relatively poor retiree. Asia I can afford.
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

em2nought wrote: Wed Apr 17, 2024 9:35 pm
Jeff V wrote: Wed Apr 17, 2024 5:48 pm Doctor is giving me 6 months to get my A1C down (currently 7.6) before putting me on Insulin. He'd also go with Farxiga or Ozempic, but both are well over $1500/mo, making death the more cost-effective option. Biden's cost control on Insulin make that a feasible option.
What's it cost in the Philippines for Farxiga or Ozempic?
Brand name meds don't seem to be any cheaper there, I've previously checked on Synthroid and Lipitor.
Black Lives Matter
naednek

Post by naednek »

Colonoscopy prep today, then go day tomorrow. I was hungry 2 hours after my last meal :(
hepcat - "I agree with Naednek"
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Always hit the buffet.
naednek

Post by naednek »

Isgrimnur wrote: Thu Apr 25, 2024 12:33 pm Always hit the buffet.
well i figured that would make things worse the next day :P
hepcat - "I agree with Naednek"