We're getting old (OO medical complaints)

Everything else!

Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

Isgrimnur

Re: We're getting old (OO medical complaints)

Post by Isgrimnur »

Use the damned holder.
It's almost as if people are the problem.
dbt1949

Post by dbt1949 »

Why do you need a musical instrument in the kitchen?
Ye Olde Farte
Double Ought Forty
aka dbt1949
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

It's actually mandoline.

Enlarge Image

Time and space-bending to orient your slices is definitely a higher end feature.
dbt1949

Post by dbt1949 »

I thought that was that guy is Star Wars with his own TV show.
Ye Olde Farte
Double Ought Forty
aka dbt1949
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

You're thinking of the Red Baron.
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

Isgrimnur wrote: Fri Apr 22, 2022 10:50 pm Use the damned holder.
On a 14" long seedless cucumber?
Black Lives Matter

Post by Default »

Four days after surgery. I would not recommend having a good support system.

I am grateful for my ex-wife's help. She is managing the meds and providing a lot of support. Steps are more difficult than with the hip, because my muscles and ligaments are still shaped for the old knees. I can stand unaided, get around with the walker just fine, and and expect to be moving to a cane next week.
"pcp, lsd, thc, tgb...it's all good." ~ Kraken
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Jeff V wrote: Sat Apr 23, 2022 12:14 pm
Isgrimnur wrote: Fri Apr 22, 2022 10:50 pm Use the damned holder.
On a 14" long seedless cucumber?
If it was still 14" when you sliced your finger, do you have Marfan syndrome?
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

14" and a mandoline my brain imagines its a penis torture device.
--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

The sandals thread reminded me I have a sore foot. My left foot has a small knot / callus on the ball of the foot but its between the two places your foot actually gets walked on. Its very tender at times. My guess is Ive stepped on something somehow and its still there. Splinter, metal shard..no idea as I always wear socks and shoes. I think I did step on a dried holly leaf come to think of it so the thorn may have broken off in there. Its on a nerve thats for sure. I bet I end up having to find a foot doctor to look at it. I hate that idea.

Sometimes I wear my slip on tennis shoes and just wear them all day as they are soft and padded well. Better than my house slippers thats for sure.
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

Default wrote: Sat Apr 23, 2022 12:41 pm Four days after surgery. I would not recommend having a good support system.
Can't seem to wrap my head around this. So are you recommending having a bad support system?
My father said that anything is interesting if you bother to read about it - Michael C. Harrold
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Daehawk wrote: Mon Apr 25, 2022 12:33 am The sandals thread reminded me I have a sore foot. My left foot has a small knot / callus on the ball of the foot but its between the two places your foot actually gets walked on. Its very tender at times. My guess is Ive stepped on something somehow and its still there. Splinter, metal shard..no idea as I always wear socks and shoes. I think I did step on a dried holly leaf come to think of it so the thorn may have broken off in there. Its on a nerve thats for sure. I bet I end up having to find a foot doctor to look at it. I hate that idea.
Are you sure it isn't a plantar wart? It fits the description.
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

Daehawk wrote: Wed Apr 20, 2022 4:00 pm Tore an acl on a curb? Thats a new one. Hope he makes up a better story to tell the ladies.
He was with his wife. And wasted to hear her tell it.
" Hey OP, listen to my advice alright." -Tha General
"No scientific discovery is named after its original discoverer." -Stigler's Law of Eponymy, discovered by Robert K. Merton

MYT
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

Daehawk wrote: Mon Apr 25, 2022 12:33 am The sandals thread reminded me I have a sore foot. My left foot has a small knot / callus on the ball of the foot but its between the two places your foot actually gets walked on. Its very tender at times. My guess is Ive stepped on something somehow and its still there. Splinter, metal shard..no idea as I always wear socks and shoes. I think I did step on a dried holly leaf come to think of it so the thorn may have broken off in there. Its on a nerve thats for sure. I bet I end up having to find a foot doctor to look at it. I hate that idea.

Sometimes I wear my slip on tennis shoes and just wear them all day as they are soft and padded well. Better than my house slippers thats for sure.
I have also been debating sandals because my wide left foot is beginning to hurt even in "extra wide shoes". I'm thinking I've developed a bone spur on my big joint in my big toe, probably from having to wear too tight of shoes my entire life.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Blackhawk wrote: Mon Apr 25, 2022 9:32 am
Are you sure it isn't a plantar wart? It fits the description.
That I cant answer as Ive never seen one before in my life. Its not really on a weight bearing part...its in between. Its only being touched because it has grown to a small knot / callus....so all I can say is maybe? I keep putting off having it looked at because I can get by still and I worry a doc will want to cut it out and its on a nerve there.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Daehawk wrote: Mon Apr 25, 2022 10:29 am That I cant answer as Ive never seen one before in my life. Its not really on a weight bearing part...its in between. Its only being touched because it has grown to a small knot / callus....so all I can say is maybe? I keep putting off having it looked at because I can get by still and I worry a doc will want to cut it out and its on a nerve there.
It's a small, hard bump under the skin. It almost feels like you have a tiny bead or BB under your skin, or like there's a pebble in your shoe (although they can get much bigger.) It can be anywhere on the foot, but the most common spot is on the bottom of the food, between the ball of the foot and the opposite edge, right in the soft part there, or on the heel. Sometimes it looks like a little mound, sometimes just skin colored, other times with a black 'dot.' Sometimes it's got a 'crater' in the middle, and sometimes, if they're small, they're just a hard spot that you can't really see.

If it is, you're in luck - there are over-the-counter solutions that work. Just buy some salicylic acid (like Compound W) and apply it according to the instructions. What the instructions fail to mention, by the way, is that every day before you apply it, you should scrape the area. You can use a pumice stone, the edge of a credit card, a blade scraped across it sideways (be careful...) and other things. But be aware that you also don't want to ignore it, as it is caused by a virus which can spread, and before you know it you've got multiples, and on both feet.

/edit - and the doctor is more likely to freeze it off.
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

/edit - and the doctor is more likely to freeze it off.
I always thought that was the easiest painless method until I had a place on my neck frozen. Its actually the opposite feeling of cold..more a oh shit its burning! feeling...for hours.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Now imagine being a small child and having recurring warts around your nostrils that are treated with liquid nitrogen.
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

Isgrimnur wrote: Mon Apr 25, 2022 11:56 am Now imagine being a small child and having recurring warts around your nostrils that are treated with liquid nitrogen.
That was cysts around my eyes.

I did have warts on my fingers treated the same way.

Lets me know how badly frost bite would suck. I get faint echoes of that kind of pain in my fingers and toes when I'm out in the could too long and I get out of the cold.
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

Anonymous Bosch wrote: Wed Apr 20, 2022 3:26 pm
LawBeefaroni wrote: Wed Apr 20, 2022 2:51 pm I broke my ankle/foot playing soccer about a month and a half ago. Diagnosed as an avulsion fracture where the tendons don't tear but actually pull the bone apart instead. Was told that's better than a tear since bone heals faster than soft tissue. Have had a walking boot and saw the Ortho today. The bone healed up great (1000IU vitamin d, 1000mg calcium and 500mg magnesium a day) but the tendon is a bit stretched. Cleared to go sans boot unless there is pain, start phys therapy in a few weeks and will be back on the pitch soon.

The main observation here though is that the same week I broke it, several friends, or "gentlemen of a certain age" as my wife puts it, also broke/tore something. One fell stepping off a curb, tore his ACL. One slipped on ice walking his dog, broke a rib and bruised several others. Another broke his foot stepping off a ladder.
See this? That's you and yer mates, that is ;):

Three of us attended the same event and it felt like that.
"No scientific discovery is named after its original discoverer." -Stigler's Law of Eponymy, discovered by Robert K. Merton

MYT
LawBeefaroni
Forum Moderator

Post by LawBeefaroni »

Jeff V wrote: Fri Apr 22, 2022 2:56 pm More dumbass related than age related, but yesterday I was making Korean kimchi cucumbers and...well, how was I supposed to know gochoujang wasn't Korean for "blood of a spicy chef?" All I know is the cucumbers were supposed to be red when finished, so when slicing the cucumber on the mandolin, I sliced part of my pinky to give it that bright red color...

I did the same thing once, took off part of the tip of my thumb but didn't go all the way through. Was able keep it.

I now treat the mandolin with the respect it deserves.

MYT

Post by Default »

jztemple2 wrote: Mon Apr 25, 2022 12:51 am
Default wrote: Sat Apr 23, 2022 12:41 pm Four days after surgery. I would not recommend having a good support system.
Can't seem to wrap my head around this. So are you recommending having a bad support system?
Painkillers. Absolutely, you need one. It will be impossible for me to do this without the support of my kids and my ex, Linda.

Getting around on the walker well. Might be able to switch to canes by the weekend.
naednek

Post by naednek »

naednek wrote:
naednek wrote:So had my xray today of my knee and I now have something in common with Donald Trump. No, not constant lying... but Bone Spurs.

Joy. And thus begins the journey of the inevitable knee replacement
So shortly after the X-ray found out I have COVID. Wondering if that was why I was having knee problems. I'm COVID free now and knee feels fine

Sent from my Pixel 6 Pro using Tapatalk
Dr confirmed more than likely COVID was the reason why I couldn't put any weight on my knee.

hepcat - "I agree with Naednek"
Eel Snave

Post by Eel Snave »

naednek wrote: Mon Apr 25, 2022 4:13 pm
naednek wrote:
naednek wrote:So had my xray today of my knee and I now have something in common with Donald Trump. No, not constant lying... but Bone Spurs.

So shortly after the X-ray found out I have COVID. Wondering if that was why I was having knee problems. I'm COVID free now and knee feels fine

Dr confirmed more than likely COVID was the reason why I couldn't put any weight on my knee.

Man, that's CRAZY. COVID does a lot of weird shit.
Downwards Compatible
We're playing every NES game alphabetically! Even the crappy ones! Send help!
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

LordMortis wrote: Mon Apr 25, 2022 9:57 am I have also been debating sandals because my wide left foot is beginning to hurt even in "extra wide shoes". I'm thinking I've developed a bone spur on my big joint in my big toe, probably from having to wear too tight of shoes my entire life.
My reason exactly. Wide feet + tight shoes. I actually had to have a bone spur removed because of that.
My father said that anything is interesting if you bother to read about it - Michael C. Harrold
naednek

Post by naednek »

Eel Snave wrote:
naednek wrote: Mon Apr 25, 2022 4:13 pm
naednek wrote:

Man, that's CRAZY. COVID does a lot of weird shit.
Ya whenever I heard about symptoms of COVID I heard sore, discomfort, stiffness in muscles and joints. I wasn't expecting not being able to walk.

hepcat - "I agree with Naednek"

Post by Default »

Physical therapy came by today. He looked at my range of motion and was extraordinarily pleased with it. He said even my worst knee was better than any patient he was seeing at this point in time at this stage of the game. My better knee, he said was further along than anyone he had treated who had had surgery 8 days ago was. Most of my recouping focus is to work on the stiffness across the front of the knees that prevent them from extending fully.
I started on the high protein diet ( which should have days ago) and am going home on Friday. Thursday's physical therapy session will be using canes. Really happy with the progress so far, and really grateful for the support of Linda and the boys.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

For 2 weeks now I wake up at just before 5am to have to piss. I call it my 5am run. 2 weeks! Im old. Not once did I have to wake up to go pee at night until my mid 40s.

Post by Default »

Every two hours for me until I get off the Eliquis. Five more days until I can go somewhere.
In non-urine related news, I just spent twenty minutes walking around the house with two canes. Surgical pain is almost gone. The big challenge is the shin side and calf side muscles are so tight, that when I lay down at night, they engage in a tug of war and I can't bend my legs either way. Pretty painful, and a good night's sleep is not possible. I didn't see this coming, but hoping that walking more will loosen things up a bit.
Tell ya though, I've been past my expectations in a big block Dodge a long time ago. Now I know to ask for another blood thinner if I ever go through this again.
Last edited by Default on Thu Apr 28, 2022 7:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

Daehawk wrote: Thu Apr 28, 2022 10:41 am For 2 weeks now I wake up at just before 5am to have to piss. I call it my 5am run. 2 weeks! Im old. Not once did I have to wake up to go pee at night until my mid 40s.
That happened to me for a while, but stopped about a year ago. Still have occasional insomnia, but I just get up and read or write then go back to sleep when I get tired. #notanexactscience.
Jaymann
]==(:::::::::::::>
Black Lives Matter
dbt1949

Post by dbt1949 »

Daehawk wrote: Thu Apr 28, 2022 10:41 am For 2 weeks now I wake up at just before 5am to have to piss. I call it my 5am run. 2 weeks! Im old. Not once did I have to wake up to go pee at night until my mid 40s.

Prostrates will do that to you.
Ye Olde Farte
Double Ought Forty
aka dbt1949

Post by Default »

12 days after bilateral knee replacement, I am home walking with one cane - by tomorrow, I won't need that. No more surgical pain, no more arthritis pain, just stretching- lots and lots of stretching. Was painful when I went through it but yeah, absolutely, I would do it again this way.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Now my blood pressure is 90/61. I feel bad. No more Delta 8 with blood pressure meds and muscle relaxers.

EDIT: Definitely over the rise now. Feel much better. Scared me. I felt like I was going to have trouble breathing. Then felt like I was going to pass out. Then next I wasn't sure Id puke or shit myself. Neither happen luckily.

Feeling better now. Used some cold water on me and walking back and forth. I made myself recite something, anything, I could recite...turned out to be the Star Trek intro.

Thats the first time EVER in my life I had the phone in my hand ready to dial 911. Kept thinking of my little dog if I were to pass out , or an ambulance had to come. Or I stopped breathing. ugh

EDIT: BP is 96/64..so up a little. Musta squeezed some extra Delta 8 into that gummy. Ive had to fix a lot of typos.

EDIT: 100/72 10:25pm.

EDIT: 107/76 so pretty normal almost now at 1am. Im tired and going to bed.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Back to normal today. Going from 160/100 to 90/60 was a doozy.

Post by Default »

Daehawk, I nearly passed out in the hospital, and my BP was higher than that.
dbt1949

Post by dbt1949 »

In my younger days before my big diet my blood pressure once was 200 over 110. I felt okay.
Ye Olde Farte
Double Ought Forty
aka dbt1949
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

I remember all those times my wife's bp would be very high at the doc's office and they would give her something to bring it down before they would let us leave. She would get woozy and almost pass out sometimes from it coming down so fast,
ImLawBoy
Forum Admin

Post by ImLawBoy »

Update time! I'm doing well and feeling pretty OK. Talked to the docs a while back, and they confirmed that they were able to remove the entire mass. They also took out 25 lymph nodes (surgeon said they needed at least 12 - guess he really likes lymph nodes) and they were all clear of cancer. This is good! They're pegging it at Stage 2, with a 20% chance of recurrence. Preventative chemo is optional at this point, but it really only helps in about 4% of cases. We'll be doing some additional tests coming up to see if it makes sense for me to do any.

I still have occasional abdominal soreness, but it's not too bad and it's been a while since I've taken any kind of pain killers. Biggest challenges at the moment are the low fiber diet (which stays in effect to some extent for 6 weeks post surgery) and daily blood thinner shots (which sting!). I'm also still within the window for a "leak" where they patched together my small and (what's left of) my large intestines. That's super dangerous, so I'm taking it easy and not doing any lifting of heavy objects so I don't risk straining anything.

As for my eldest kid, he's back home and doing better. They're not sure what happened (it was like a House episode for while with the theories they were throwing out from sepsis to bladder infection to appendicitis - never lupus, though), but they think it was probably some kind of stomach virus.

Today's my official back to work day. I had planned on catching up on reading and TV/movies while I was out, but the first week was too full of random bouts of sleepiness to do much. I did manage to finish Phase 3 of the MCU last week, though! I no longer have to worry about spoilers for Endgame!
That's my purse! I don't know you!
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

:horse:
Jaymann

Post by Jaymann »

Great news. Recover soon.
Jaymann
]==(:::::::::::::>
Black Lives Matter