We're getting old (OO medical complaints)

Everything else!

Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

dbt1949

Re: We're getting old (OO medical complaints)

Post by dbt1949 »

The first episodes of MS are like a stroke. I don't know how hard it is to diagnose it.
Ye Olde Farte
Double Ought Forty
aka dbt1949

Post by Default »

Let's hope not. She doesn't have a family history of MS. She's finally asleep.
"pcp, lsd, thc, tgb...it's all good." ~ Kraken
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

I had two or three denials and never a lawyer. I tried two different ones but both refused me. My wife was my lawyer. She was a damn sharp lady. After those tries I was sent to a federal disability judge and court hearing who approved me that day. But Ive heard of other tougher judges . The same day I was there our cousin was too and she got denied by a different judge.
--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"
dbt1949

Post by dbt1949 »

Default wrote: Mon Aug 22, 2022 12:45 pm Let's hope not. She doesn't have a family history of MS. She's finally asleep.
As far as I know MS is not inherited. The odds of her having it are very small.
Ye Olde Farte
Double Ought Forty
aka dbt1949

Post by Default »

She is responding well to the physical tests, but mentally, she is very sluggish. She could not tell them what kind of teacher she was, and she's taught Pre-K for two decades.

😕
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Does sound like a mini stroke or small seizures.

Me I had one of those weird brain attacks or whatever I had a few months back . Cept this time it was the middle of the day and I was awake when it happened. Felt like I was dying again. Didn't call the useless ambulance. Just decided if I was gonna die then Im ready. I looked over at my dog in the bed and he looked super worried. I thought Id hate to leave him though.

I was sitting at my pc about 2pm when I felt a small head rush. I get those sometimes and seems normal for me. But just as it started to go away I had a massive one hit me. Felt like I could feel the blood oozing out around my brain. I first though aneurysm but assessing myself there way no other symptoms of one. I could see I could walk and was not dizzy and no pain anywhere. I then got hit by strong shock feelings again. My arms and legs felt heavy like I weighed twice as much, the hand and fingers sorta tingled, and I had to really force my breaths. It was like someone sitting on me again like last time.

I went to the other room and took my blood pressure and it was like 170 / 110...Ive had it be like 160/110 and feel fine. I brought the bp tester back with me to the pc and took another does of bp meds. Just then I started vomiting. But nothing came up..not even the meds and cola I just had. As that passed I sat down and another wave it me. Tried puking hard but nothing again.

Over time I felt better but stayed heavy feeling and tough to breath. Kept taking my bp and it kept coming down. By 5pm I was a lot better and at 6pm I was very weak and tired. I laid down in bed and fell asleep until 9pm but couldn't wake up good so covered up and went back to sleep until midnight when I turned off all the lights and went back to bed . Woke up around 5am and 9am and stayed in bed and went back to sleep each time. At noon I was finally able to get up though I didn't want to. Feel fine today. Normal as can be. Haven't done anything like normal though. Cleaned the house and such. But no gaming or anything. Just no interest really.

So another feeling of death bout and again fine. Shrug. Tomorrow I mow and weed eat the overgrown yard Ive been letting go until I could take a bath at home. I think Thursday Ill go for my blood work. Im not sure Ill tell the doc of these episodes or not. Shall see.
Last edited by Daehawk on Mon Aug 22, 2022 9:10 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Post by Default »

Jesus Christ in a sidecar!

You should absolutely tell him.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

My resting bp today after meds and doing nothing was like 115/75 105 hbp. Now after working HARD as hell in the yard for nearly 2 hours...dead tired and sweated until Im fully soaked and sitting only 10 min is 96/69 115 hbp . So either that new strength of bp meds they gave me is too strong or something new is wrong with me . Im thinking the new stronger meds and all that water loss is the cause. I ate some table salt and am drinking kool-aid. So maybe that will equal me out soon. I have to go take a long shower and Ill recheck it later after I rest and cool down yet again.

EDIT: Another half hour rest its 105/72 112 .....so much better. Gotta hit the shower now. One more test result later tonight.

EDIT: 108/76 94. I almost forgot to check it this last time. Had laid down in bed and was watching my tablet. If its still normal in the morning I think ill skip my strong bp med and see how it goes until noon or so.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Ok talk to me about belly fat. Ive never had belly fat cept that one time I was overweight to 222 or so many years ago and lost it when I got my weight down. other than that time Ive never had a weight problem. I could eat anything and everything and stayed 186 - 195.

But I lost my wife in 2019 and think I had serious depression. I dont remember that year really but I turned 50 that year and I gained to 225 and my belly became a basketball..a small one. But Since last year Ive not ate until after 6 or 7pm and then only something small. Its taken months but Im down to 200 or 199. But the belly is still there ...mush smaller..easy to see my feet :) . But it still has fat in it enough to jiggle if I poke it. It just wont go away. I cant exorcise good due to my back and knees and you name it these days. I turned 50 and started falling apart lol. Well what wasn't fell apart already.

Anyways how does one remove belly fat that wont go away? And btw Im eating normal again just not huge amounts. I eat like at 2pm 5pm and again something small at night around 9pm. Im just not a breakfast person and never have been.

Oh and my ideal weight and what it used to be when i was younger is 186. Im 6'0". Of course back then it was more muscle as to fat now lol.
dbt1949

Post by dbt1949 »

To get rid of belly fat stop taking in more calories than you burn a day. Exercising the muscles around your belly won't do it.
Or there's also surgery.
Ye Olde Farte
Double Ought Forty
aka dbt1949
Lassr

Post by Lassr »

dbt1949 wrote: Wed Aug 24, 2022 2:27 am To get rid of belly fat stop taking in more calories than you burn a day. Exercising the muscles around your belly won't do it.
Or there's also surgery.
Yep. I've lost 20 lbs the past 5 months by reducing calorie intake, and then walking trails more, and waist size dropped from 38 to 36.

My complaint today, is I am sore all over just from installing planks of my back porch wall. Redoing the wall and mounting a TV on it. I feel like I've did extra hard labor for several days. TENS unit is getting a work out this morning.
The only reason people get lost in thought is because it's unfamiliar territory.

Black Lives Matter
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

But before the other day Id only been eating something small at night like vienna or a sandwich. I doubt I had 1000 cal a day.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

BP this morning 125/79 87 bpm . I dont think its safe to take that stronger bp med..or any right now. Thats a damn good score all alone. Ill keep checking it during the day. Im not doing anything I dont think so we'll see.

Post by Default »

After three days on stroke protocol, it turns out that she is low on sodium. Magnesium and potassium too, but the sodium was very low. That caused mental confusion, dizziness, and severe headaches. The neurologist said that it could be a number of things, but in this case, it was diet, or over consumption of liquids. I think it was a combo of both factors and her love of hot temperatures. When we were together, she was always turning the ac off, and she rarely has it on.
She's getting released today, probably around five.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Seemingly small causes can have large consequences. Glad its worked out now and she will get back to normal.

I should be taking Magnesium and potassium. I need potassium because I have so many muscle cramps now days its not funny. The pharmacist said take Magnesium because it will allow potassium to be absorbed. I also think I need niacin as eating bananas help alleviate my muscle cramps greatly. But im sick of bananas. So when I can afford supplements Ill get some.

I mean my muscles cramp SO much. Yesterday trying to weed eat and mow My ribs on both sides cramped up. My neck cramped up. My right leg did while riding the riding mower and is trying to just sitting here. Last night I reached over for the clock while in bed and my ribs and neck both cramped to high heaven. I even had my toes cramping up yesterday and today.

Im going to ask the doc for some supplements if she can prescribe them as it would be cheaper than getting them at say Walmart. Or maybe not..dont need more stuff done from the doc.
ImLawBoy
Forum Admin

Post by ImLawBoy »

My oldest goes through phases of hyponatremia (the fancy medical word for dangerously low sodium). It's most common after he's had surgery or is otherwise on IV hydration (since the liquids tend to dilute the salt levels). It's scary as hell. He gets extra salt in his diet and we pay extra attention to his sodium levels whenever he gets bloodwork done. The good news is that he didn't have any issues after his last surgery, so we're crossing our fingers that his body has kind of figured it out and it should be less of a risk.

The great news is that it's treatable if you know what it is! Good luck to you and your ex!
That's my purse! I don't know you!
dbt1949

Post by dbt1949 »

I have symptoms like that but it ain't because of low salt. It's the rest of my diet and pills that cause it.
Ye Olde Farte
Double Ought Forty
aka dbt1949
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

BP 116/83 86bpm

Maybe it will stay good. I had high bp once years and years ago. Then one day I ran out of my bp meds and didn't bother with getting more. When I had it checked every time it was normal again. So left it. I always had low bp all my life..like 112/74 was my norm.

Anyways when my wife died it shot back up..high high. I had to have kidney surgery in May 2019 just 5 months after losing her and they almost had to postpone me due to my very high bp. It took multiple visits to the doc and steady increases in the amount of bp meds to get it low enough for surgery to approve me. It then stayed high it seems.

But maybe now, 3 1/2 years after her death, my bp may be back to normal. Maybe Im just wishing but so far a few days so good. Shall see in the weeks to come. And at the docs tomorrow. My bp always went up at the docs testing. Had a slight touch a white coat syndrome I think lol. Hope thats all it was.
Malificent

Post by Malificent »

Daehawk wrote: Wed Aug 24, 2022 3:12 pm BP 116/83 86bpm
It's funny, my blood pressure is high (think 140s over low 90s) and they've got me starting a high blood pressure med but my resting heart rate rarely gets above 65bpm and usually is around 60. 86 is perfectly normal, but I guess normal seems high to me.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

I 'think' my heartbeat has always been up a bit all my life. Its normal but always a bit higher than what I thought it should be. Ive seen it be 115 or so just from sitting still. Im glad its came down like this and after ive ate and been moving around too..even dead tired soaked in sweat from mowing and barely breathing its been better lately.
dbt1949

Post by dbt1949 »

I wished I could go back to the days when my body functioned naturally.
Ye Olde Farte
Double Ought Forty
aka dbt1949
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Was there a supernatural option that I missed in the paperwork?
It's almost as if people are the problem.
Unagi

Post by Unagi »

Naturally, I wish I could go back to the days when my body functioned.
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

dbt1949 wrote: Wed Aug 24, 2022 2:27 am To get rid of belly fat stop taking in more calories than you burn a day. Exercising the muscles around your belly won't do it.
Or there's also surgery.
I re-branded it as "beer muscle" and consider mine to be robust. My wife once made a comment about my belly and my daughter admonished her, saying it was a beer muscle, and to prove it, she sucker-punched me right in the beer muscle.
Black Lives Matter
Punisher

Post by Punisher »

Unagi wrote: Thu Aug 25, 2022 9:07 am Naturally, I wish I could go back to the days when my body functioned.
+1
All yourLightning Bolts are Belong to Us

Post by Default »

Honestly, she ain't bouncing back like I expected by now. She finally had a shower, and I ended up drying her legs while she sat down, then I brushed her hair for her.

I've never done that. Ever. Now she's taking a nap. At least I got some salt into her, and I have her taking vitamin gummies, so that's good. And she is pretty much normal, as far as how she is being ill. She kinda turns into a weepy five or six year old when she is sick.
At least she's gotten back to some behavior that is familiar.
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

I know this is less serious than a lot of the discussions here, but I thought it would give folks of a certain age a chuckle.

My father said that anything is interesting if you bother to read about it - Michael C. Harrold
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Yup. My low-light reading ability is rapidly approaching nil.
It's almost as if people are the problem.
Punisher

Post by Punisher »

jztemple2 wrote: Sun Aug 28, 2022 5:38 pm I know this is less serious than a lot of the discussions here, but I thought it would give folks of a certain age a chuckle.

Misread that. Had to turn up brightness and increase zoom.
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

I had been using 60 watt light bulbs at home as I like "softer" light. Only I can barely tell when one is turned on anymore unless it's pitch black outside. Working on my car. I need a work light, no matter the time of day. :oops: That said, as long as I have glasses on, I can read a menu just fine.
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

Isgrimnur wrote: Sun Aug 28, 2022 5:46 pm Yup. My low-light reading ability is rapidly approaching nil.
This is why I struggle doing Uber after dark. I need to find some bi-focal reading glasses that are clear lens on the top and +2.00 readers on the bottom. I actually have sunglasses like that, and on rainy days where it's too dark to wear sunglasses, I also struggle reading the phone.
Black Lives Matter
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

I dont drive after dark anymore. 70% is my old eyes and 30% is my car.

The cars me and my wife had together since we met were a 1986 Trans-Am, 1984 Corolla, 1985 Trans-Am, 1998 Contour SE , 2001 Mustang.

All the ones prior to the Contour I had no trouble with. I was younger too. The last Trans-Am , the 85, had super bright lights. It had the big popup lights and the running lights too. I could drive the back roads with just the running lights they were so bright. Then the normal headlights was really really bright...on high beam it would light up stuff 500 yards down the road or more. I was 35 in 2004 when we traded it away. Being a Pontiac it was falling apart but i still love and miss that car.

The Contour was not as good. The lights seemed weak and my eyes were weaker too. By the time we got the Mustang in 2010 I was I was 41. Its lights were clear and crystal but worse brightness than the Contour and my eyes were worse yet again. I have the halo like star effect to my sight on lighted objects at night. But I CAN still drive if forced lol.

Anyways about 5 years after we got it the headlights became dingy and are totally fogged looking. its on the inside fro ma unsealed seal and let dirt and moisture into the lens. It cant be buffed out. I cant afford the $125 or so for new headlights. One day. But at night you..or I ..cant tell the headlights are even on at all hardly...in roan nothing at all.

I had to rush my wife to the hospital one night after dark in the rain...this was before her last trip......and I could not tell they were on at all. I actually pulled over and looked at them to see if they were on. Bright or normal made ZERO diff. The only saving grace was the roads I took were roads me and her and driven a million times over 30 years. I could see other headlights and other tail lights just nothing more than 5 feet in front of me of my own road and lights.

I put off getting new ones still due to money first and lack of a reason to be out after dark second. Barring an emergency of my dog....in which case Ill be forced out. .

Post by Default »

Jeff V wrote: Mon Aug 29, 2022 3:42 pm
Isgrimnur wrote: Sun Aug 28, 2022 5:46 pm Yup. My low-light reading ability is rapidly approaching nil.
This is why I struggle doing Uber after dark. I need to find some bi-focal reading glasses that are clear lens on the top and +2.00 readers on the bottom. I actually have sunglasses like that, and on rainy days where it's too dark to wear sunglasses, I also struggle reading the phone.
readers.com

Post by Default »

Teh ex thinks her prediabetes has graduated to diabetes, and sure enough, diabetes can interfere with electrolyte levels.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Oh thats all id need. The doc thought my lvls my be bad since I had the symptoms of electrolyte imbalance. They have my bloodwoork since last Friday but I miss their calls and they wont leave medical info in voicemail and when I call back they NEVER answer and I have to leave voice mail. So after about 5 msgs between us they stopped calling. So no idea whats wrong with me or what they want me to do.

Im keeping a daily record of my blood pressure and will take it by while Im out Friday so then Ill find out. they did say my sugar was up 6 months ago..not diabetes lvl but up. I think its all the stuff I was eating and drinking plus that DXM to sleep and feel better.
Punisher

Post by Punisher »

A small positive of my memory issues...
I found that I cant remember all the shows i liked so i just got to finish enjoying the entire House series again.
Just starting Cobra Kai again. I think i remember a lot of it, but I just like it.

Post by Default »

Daehawk wrote: Tue Aug 30, 2022 3:23 pm Oh thats all id need. The doc thought my lvls my be bad since I had the symptoms of electrolyte imbalance. They have my bloodwoork since last Friday but I miss their calls and they wont leave medical info in voicemail and when I call back they NEVER answer and I have to leave voice mail. So after about 5 msgs between us they stopped calling. So no idea whats wrong with me or what they want me to do.

Im keeping a daily record of my blood pressure and will take it by while Im out Friday so then Ill find out. they did say my sugar was up 6 months ago..not diabetes lvl but up. I think its all the stuff I was eating and drinking plus that DXM to sleep and feel better.
You may have to show up in person to find out what is going on. Nobody answers phones at doctor's offices anymore.
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

Default wrote: Mon Aug 29, 2022 5:18 pm
Jeff V wrote: Mon Aug 29, 2022 3:42 pm
readers.com
Thanks, but now they are spanning the crap out of ever app I use on my phone! I was going to order from them...but today I found some at Menards (where I got my bifocal sunglasses). Menards was about 1/3 cheaper.
Black Lives Matter
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

Not necessarily my own medical issue, but definitely something I feel like I'm getting too old for.

Wonder Twin 9.3b has suffered from encopresis issues for a number of years now. It's a horrible thing for anyone to not have full control over their bowels, much less a 9 year old kid. We've watched him go from happy, active, and cheerful to sullen, withdrawn, and hesitant due to the issue. He wants desperately to fix it, but is also absolutely terrified of any of the typical measures that are required to do so, such as enemas, high-dose laxatives, etc. The last time he had to do an enema at the hospital, it literally took three nurses and us to pin him down.

He's been to multiple doctors, specialists, and specialists of specialists. We got him into a clinic that specializes in anorectal malfunctions and other bowel related issues. We spent most of the past two days doing imaging and other testing. We finally got their recommended treatment regimen yesterday. Daily (yes, daily) high volume enemas...for six months.

I honestly have no idea how we're going to do this. I feel like we're going to irreparably traumatize the poor kid mentally in an effort to fix the issue. :(
When darkness veils the world, four Warriors of Light shall come.
ImLawBoy
Forum Admin

Post by ImLawBoy »

We do daily enemas for my oldest, but the situations are probably not comparable, both in terms of diagnosis and the challenge of administering. Since my son has very limited voluntary movement, he doesn't have much of a choice but to lay there and let it happen and he can't really fight it.

I will suggest that it might get better after a week or two, if for no other reason that you'll probably get into a routine. It's not to say he'll like it, but he'll get used to it a bit (and if it helps, that might make him even more accepting of it).

Good luck!
That's my purse! I don't know you!