We're getting old (OO medical complaints)

Everything else!

Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

Punisher

Re: We're getting old (OO medical complaints)

Post by Punisher »

Daehawk wrote: Fri Mar 01, 2024 1:02 am 24 pills!?? Couldn't they just make it one BIG pill an coat it in chocolate?

Enlarge Image
To be fair, when drinkning it I kind of wished I was mostly dead instead.
They could have at least made a banana flavored version.
I'm definitely gonna look into pills the next time I need one...if I even remember.
All yourLightning Bolts are Belong to Us
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

I dont think Iever ever heard one good thing about either the drink for xrays or the one for a colonoscopy.
--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"
MHS

Post by MHS »

Isgrimnur wrote: Fri Mar 01, 2024 12:11 am Do eet! Swallowing 24 pills beats dealing with crappy-flavored liquids
I had a colonoscopy last week and did the 24 pills and I will never do that again. The liquid prep really isn't all that nasty, but having to swallow 12 pills with 48 ounces of water in a short span of time made me so freaking nauseated and then having to get up in the middle of the night to do it again about made me cry. And it's not like I don't already take a lot of pills on a daily basis.
Black Lives Matter. No human is illegal. Women's rights are human rights. Love is love. Science is real. Kindness is everything.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

I drink a lot of fluids regularly, and a sleep schedule doesn’t really exist in my home.

I can see how it might be different for others. Sorry to hear your experience wasn’t as pleasant.
It's almost as if people are the problem.
Scuzz

Post by Scuzz »

MHS wrote: Fri Mar 01, 2024 11:59 am
Isgrimnur wrote: Fri Mar 01, 2024 12:11 am Do eet! Swallowing 24 pills beats dealing with crappy-flavored liquids
I had a colonoscopy last week and did the 24 pills and I will never do that again. The liquid prep really isn't all that nasty, but having to swallow 12 pills with 48 ounces of water in a short span of time made me so freaking nauseated and then having to get up in the middle of the night to do it again about made me cry. And it's not like I don't already take a lot of pills on a daily basis.
I can see how the middle of the night dose would be a real pain in the, well, uncomfortable. Besides getting back to sleep I would be awake shortly to use the bathroom anyway.
Black Lives Matter
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

Yup. I only got two hours of sleep pre-2nd-dose, and none afterwards.
naednek

Post by naednek »

I'm next in line to get a colonscopy :( Have to talk to the ass dr first. Been having some gastro issues since my kidney stones.

I tried to see if I could get the pill instead of the liquid drink, but they said they don't offer that, and that the liquid does a better job on clearing you out.

I also get to have miralax once a day. Getting old sucks. Why did I want to rush into getting older when I was a kid :D
hepcat - "I agree with Naednek"
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

I’m pretty sure I was clean enough for the doc. I have pictures, if you want.
MHS

Post by MHS »

Isgrimnur wrote: Fri Mar 01, 2024 4:47 pm I’m pretty sure I was clean enough for the doc. I have pictures, if you want.
They give you a scaled rating. I was inordinately proud of my perfect score. :dance:
Black Lives Matter. No human is illegal. Women's rights are human rights. Love is love. Science is real. Kindness is everything.
disarm

Post by disarm »

MHS wrote:
You're not the only one to feel this way. I take care of a lot of people for their colonoscopies, and quite a few of those who are now trying the pills thinking they will be easier are saying that's not the case at all. You may not have to deal with the taste, but 12 large pills and the large amount of water with each dose, finished within 20 minutes, are no joke.
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

My prep has always been 48 oz of one prepared laxative fluid or another twice in less than an hour the day before my colonoscopy (I want to say starting at 1300 for a scope at 0700 the next day). This is the 5 year mark for me, so I'm off for my fourth round later this year. They wanted to do it early this year but I'm already 3 major surgeries in less one year's time. The Colonoscopy can wait a couple more seasons. They've streamlined the process. I used to have to buy a bunch of gatorade and add miralax and take ducolax and suck on jello. Five years ago the pharmacy gave a couple of large packets of powder and a 48 oz container to mix water in. They've also gotten much better at the production line. 15 years ago, in addition to 18 hours of fasting and prepping, it was an all day thing on scope day. Five years ago, they seem to have teams kicking out scopes every half an hour or so and as long as you have a driver (which is required) you can get up and go as soon as someone can check you out after waking after a procedure done in under an hour. You spend more time in the waiting room than you do under anesthesia.

I don't find the prep to be intolerable as long as I am near toilet but then I live with intestinal discomfort. Same goes for recovery. I'm crazy gassy for a couple of hours and then I'm OK. Or at least that's the way it was in my 40s. As I get older, things may become less easy.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Should have had one 25 years ago. But anything where I can get done then leave is problematic for me as I have no ride. Im not sure they allow you to leave in Uber. And my Uber ride would mean from one city to another.

I wonder if after a op they would allow me to sit in the waiting room and sleep overnight there then drive myself home the next day? Thats if I had a op and if I had a car..if ififififif.
Hrdina

Post by Hrdina »

Skinypupy wrote: Thu Feb 29, 2024 4:01 pmNever having had surgery before, I'll admit this all kinda freaks me out. Seems like a very drastic step, but what the doctor said made total sense to me.

Also, just a general WTF man. HIP REPLACEMENT IS FOR OLD PEOPLE!!

This sucks. :(
My friend, who is younger than you and much younger than me, had a hip replacement surgery in the middle of last year. He'd had hip pain for a long time, and just finally got tired of that and got it replaced.

He was back to playing ice hockey by the end of last year, and is quite happy he had it done.

Just make sure you stick to the PT.
Conform or be cast out!
Scuzz

Post by Scuzz »

Isgrimnur wrote: Fri Mar 01, 2024 1:03 pm Yup. I only got two hours of sleep pre-2nd-dose, and none afterwards.
I will be taking part 2 of the old treatment around 5am so I figure I will be done sleeping for the night. If I can I will be playing video games on my computer.
Black Lives Matter
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Any surgery can be scary or intimidating. Ive had a few things..nothing big until my kidney surgery in 2019...well unless you count tonsils as a 5 year old. i cant really remember if I was scared.

But with that kidney surgery i was looking forward to it then and pushing to go go go get it done as soon as possible. id been in pain with those two dice sized stones for over 15 years. Sometimes so bad all i could do was lay in bed curled up in a fetal position. And of course they were getting bigger. Had had 3 blastings on them. Each time got me a couple months pain free but didn't get rid of them.

So ya I was happy to go be free of them and the pain. Spent one night in the hospital and came home to rest. Was SO glad I finally went when it was over.
Scuzz

Post by Scuzz »

Daehawk wrote: Fri Mar 01, 2024 7:08 pm Should have had one 25 years ago. But anything where I can get done then leave is problematic for me as I have no ride. Im not sure they allow you to leave in Uber. And my Uber ride would mean from one city to another.

I wonder if after a op they would allow me to sit in the waiting room and sleep overnight there then drive myself home the next day? Thats if I had a op and if I had a car..if ififififif.
According to the info my doctor sent out you need a ride. Even taking the bus was unacceptable.
Black Lives Matter
LordMortis

Post by LordMortis »

Scuzz wrote: Fri Mar 01, 2024 8:49 pm
Daehawk wrote: Fri Mar 01, 2024 7:08 pm Should have had one 25 years ago. But anything where I can get done then leave is problematic for me as I have no ride. Im not sure they allow you to leave in Uber. And my Uber ride would mean from one city to another.

According to the info my doctor sent out you need a ride. Even taking the bus was unacceptable.
Here, you need someone in the waiting room, not just a ride. However, I believe you can have someone provided for you if you demonstrate need but that's not something insurance covers AFAIK. I mean, if you have no one, there's got to be something, right?
Anonymous Bosch

Post by Anonymous Bosch »

If you're on Medicaid, it looks like TennCare -- the state of Tennessee’s managed Medicaid agency -- provides access to free transportation for covered medical services through their Non-Emergency Medical Transportation (NEMT) benefit:

"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." — P. J. O'Rourke
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

It turns out that the the swelling I mentioned a couple of weeks ago is probably bursitis. The hospital initially misdiagnosed me with cellulitis, but my GP hand-waved that (the local hospital is infamously bad.)
Brian wrote: Thu Feb 29, 2024 8:34 am Five weeks after the knee replacement surgery and I'm finally getting comfortable with walking without a cane and then, BOOM!....covid.
Two and a half weeks after the knee swelling that had me visiting the ER, looking forward to getting rid of the all-day compression, then, BOOM!...covid.
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

No Covid but now both my knees hurt and seem bad all of a sudden..well sudden for the right one..left has been bad since I was a teen. Stood up from the Pc a min ago and my right knee just went out sorta. Almost fell..would have if i had not started to step off my right leg and had my left foot ready to take over.
Punisher

Post by Punisher »

So... i just had my 2 year anniversary of my medical adventure a few weeks ago. Today we took my pup on a "walk" to rhe dog park. I then figured you know what? It's been a while since I've been to the hospital lets see what we can do about that...(/s obviously)
Apparently there is no wheelchair access ramp.
I had to go on the grass and use that to get up to the sidewalk to get to the park. I picked the spot with the most level area possible but it wasn't good enough. Front wheels hit the lip, chair popped up and went back, I came crashing down on my head. Couldn't brace so head took most of the impact.
Before that it was one of my better days. Right after that, massive headache, nausea, lught headed, dizzy, trouble focusing and talking, pain in my neck and shoulders, and trouble walking.
The problem is that nothing was technically new. It was just a lot worse and wasn't a major issue before the big bang. But because of this it was hard to explain to the emts and hospital what was happening. Still not sure if it was the bang or just coincidence.
Because of my past history we decided to go to er anyway to be safe.
Did cat scan. Other than showing the previous brain damage all was clean.
I got discharged and I'm home.
Feeling a bit better but walking is still worse, headache hasn't gotten better, and upper body pains ate slowly increasing.
Going to bed early and hopefully a bit better by morning.
All yourLightning Bolts are Belong to Us
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Growing up if I got hit or something it was my head that took it...stitches bumps knots..I had it all. They used to say one of two things...either thats whats wrong with me or that I was lucky it hit my rock hard head. :)
Jeff V

Post by Jeff V »

Daehawk wrote: Mon Mar 04, 2024 12:37 am Growing up if I got hit or something it was my head that took it...stitches bumps knots..I had it all. They used to say one of two things...either thats whats wrong with me or that I was lucky it hit my rock hard head. :)
I got hit in the head with an axe when I was around 21 (I remember going to a bar after the ER, so probably I was old enough).
Black Lives Matter
em2nought

Post by em2nought »

Jeff V wrote: Mon Mar 04, 2024 6:56 pm I got hit in the head with an axe when I was around 21 (I remember going to a bar after the ER, so probably I was old enough).
You should've really left that fella's blue ox alone. :lol:
"Four more years!" "Pause." LMAO
dbt1949

Post by dbt1949 »

I was a trained axeman and never got hit in the head.
Later I upgraded to a swordsman and never looked back.
Ye Olde Farte
Double Ought Forty
aka dbt1949
pr0ner

Post by pr0ner »

For those having colonoscopies, I highly recommend Clenpiq. Very small amount of liquid that actually tastes OK, and the worst part was the evening I started taking it. I slept through the night fine, and only had one bowel movement in the morning to finish cleaning myself out.
Hodor.
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

dbt1949 wrote: Tue Mar 05, 2024 4:22 am I was a trained axeman and never got hit in the head.
Wololo!
Scuzz

Post by Scuzz »

pr0ner wrote: Tue Mar 05, 2024 10:49 am For those having colonoscopies, I highly recommend Clenpiq. Very small amount of liquid that actually tastes OK, and the worst part was the evening I started taking it. I slept through the night fine, and only had one bowel movement in the morning to finish cleaning myself out.
Prescription only?
Black Lives Matter
Scuzz

Post by Scuzz »

pr0ner wrote: Tue Mar 05, 2024 10:49 am For those having colonoscopies, I highly recommend Clenpiq. Very small amount of liquid that actually tastes OK, and the worst part was the evening I started taking it. I slept through the night fine, and only had one bowel movement in the morning to finish cleaning myself out.
Prescription only. Maybe only $40. Sounds good.
Black Lives Matter
pr0ner

Post by pr0ner »

Scuzz wrote: Tue Mar 05, 2024 1:44 pm
Prescription only?
Yep, my doctor prescribed it for me. I paid closer to $100, but the pharmacist commented that was one of the best prices he'd seen for it.

I appreciated the fact that, on top of the small amount provided liquid tasting fine, I could drink any clear liquid I wanted to go along with it (so a lot of Diet Mountain Dew and yellow supercharged Gatorade) instead of cup after cup of whatever is normally provided to get cleaned out.
Hodor.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Isgrimnur wrote: Tue Mar 05, 2024 1:10 pm
dbt1949 wrote: Tue Mar 05, 2024 4:22 am I was a trained axeman and never got hit in the head.
Wololo!
Enlarge Image
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Washing a single dish is getting pretty difficult to stand there and do it. The hot water running since theres no point turning it off as you'll be rinsing the bowl or plate in a few sec,...your hands in the hot water.........and all the while you realllllllly needing to pee.

As I age and get older im starting to see that holding my pee when i need to go and waiting a while is getting tougher and tougher to do.
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

Yeah, the interval between "hmm I think I might need to pee" and "holy shit gang way!" is much shorter than it used to be.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

Kraken wrote: Wed Mar 06, 2024 10:20 pm Yeah, the interval between "hmm I think I might need to pee" and "holy shit gang way!" is much shorter than it used to be.
I've learned that the act of standing up from my chair quickly transforms the first into the latter.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

A month or so ago I had a diarrhea . Nothing special about that. But on the way to the bathroom my butt decided to relax JUuuuuuust a bit. I had no control over that. Was like I had an AI butt for a sec. And a sec will do it . I ended up wit ha spot of poo on my pants. I haven't had poo in my pants since I was 3...maaaaybe 4.

And I can see some of you now looking for Winnie pics or Xi Jinping.
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

No, just a mental eye wash station.
dbt1949

Post by dbt1949 »

I have always said the one thing that bugged me about olde people is that they're always their bodily fluids and such.
No doubt about Daehwak being olde!
Ye Olde Farte
Double Ought Forty
aka dbt1949
Scuzz

Post by Scuzz »

So I am undergoing the “night of a thousand waterfalls” as some comedian I once saw coined it.

The prep so far hasn’t been terrible but I don’t think I will be having any lemon lime Gatorade for a long time.
Black Lives Matter
Kraken

Post by Kraken »

dbt1949 wrote: Thu Mar 07, 2024 1:36 am I have always said the one thing that bugged me about olde people is that they're always their bodily fluids and such.
No doubt about Daehwak being olde!
He's right: this thread would die under a moratorium on bodily fluid mishaps. I don't like reading or writing about or even having them, but here we are.
Madmarcus

Post by Madmarcus »

Kraken wrote: Thu Mar 07, 2024 2:41 am He's right: this thread would die under a moratorium on bodily fluid mishaps. I don't like reading or writing about or even having them, but here we are.
I'm with you but it was sort of nice to hear that I'm not alone in the urge to pee department.