2023 is the first semi-reasonable year in some time in which to upgrade one's GPU

For general computer discussion & help, come here

Moderators: Bakhtosh, EvilHomer3k

hitbyambulance

2023 is the first semi-reasonable year in some time in which to upgrade one's GPU

Post by hitbyambulance »

i'm _finally_ ready to replace my video card (primarily for MSFS 2020 and Cyberpunk 2070)... and i don't think that's going to happen.

but on the bright side, i could resell my GTX 970 for around $150, which is $50 more than i paid for it in 2016... (realistically, i'll be happy if it doesn't just up and die in the next few months)
Last edited by hitbyambulance on Sat Jul 08, 2023 4:53 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Blackhawk

Re: 2021 is truly the best year to upgrade your GPU

Post by Blackhawk »

I've heard that the shortage will start to ease around May or June. The bots will start to slow down sometime in the fall.
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)
Carpet_pissr

Post by Carpet_pissr »

The title is sarcastic, right?
Zarathud

Post by Zarathud »

The scalper’s mark up on a Nvidia RTX 3060 or 3070 is the difference between parts and a prebuilt from Digital Storm or Origin. Of course, nobody is getting parts so the delay is 4-5 weeks — at best.
"If the facts don't fit the theory, change the facts." - Albert Einstein
"I don't stand by anything." - Trump
“Bad men need nothing more to compass their ends, than that good men should look on and do nothing.” - John Stuart Mill, Inaugural Address Delivered to the University of St Andrews, 2/1/1867
“It is the impractical things in this tumultuous hell-scape of a world that matter most. A book, a name, chicken soup. They help us remember that, even in our darkest hour, life is still to be savored.” - Poe, Altered Carbon
hitbyambulance

Post by hitbyambulance »

if it were normal times (and prices), i think i would probably go for a Nvidia GeForce RTX 3070 or AMD Radeon RX 6800 on sale. as it is... i'm going to be waiting for quite a few months.
Carpet_pissr

Post by Carpet_pissr »

I was fully planning on buy whatever the cheapest card was that had RTX. When I didn't see inventory for those (and whatever the newer, cheaper, but much faster one was), I decided to settle for a 1660 Super. I can't even find that, now.

I mean there are some out there, if you want to pay above MSRP. I don't.
JCC

Post by JCC »

Yeah, noone should even contemplate buying a video card right now. It's a lose lose situation.
Black Lives Matter

"You know, the very powerful and the very stupid have one thing in common: they don't alter their views to fit the facts; they alter the facts to fit their views." - The 4th Doctor
Smoove_B

Post by Smoove_B »

As someone also using the 970, I feel you. I actually started looking in December and it was a mess and had been considering some of the pre-built options from MSI. There were a couple that were saying they would have 30XX cards in late January and early February, but that's not happening. Lots of refurb 20xx pre-built options but I'm going to continue to wait.
Maybe next year, maybe no go
stessier

Post by stessier »

I'm using a 970 as well! Fortunately I'm still playing old games, so I haven't felt the need to upgrade just yet.
I require a reminder as to why raining arcane destruction is not an appropriate response to all of life's indignities. - Vaarsuvius
Global Steam Wishmaslist Tracking
Running____2014: 1300.55 miles____2015: 2036.13 miles____2016: 1012.75 miles____2017: 1105.82 miles____2018: 1318.91 miles__2019: 2000.00 miles
Pyperkub

Post by Pyperkub »

Hell, I'm still on a 770. However, Covid has moved most of the gaming to the console(s), as sitting at the same desk to game as I've been working at for 8+ hours isn't quite the same... I'll probably get an xBox Series X before I get a new GPU.
Black Lives definitely Matter Lorini!

Also: There are three ways to not tell the truth: lies, damned lies, and statistics.
Carpet_pissr

Post by Carpet_pissr »

I beat you all - I'm still using a 760, bitches!!!

My saving grace is that I am currently (though that will change come tomorrow with a new monitor) only gaming at 1080p, and like Stessier typically old games since my back log is absolutely heinous and embarrassing.

I've literally had one game (and it was in the past 3 months, don't remember what it was) that I chose to uninstall rather than ratchet down the gfx settings so I could play it. That's not bad! Which now makes me question my search for a video card....hmmmm.

New strategy: finish enough AAA or highly rated titles in my backlog to feel decent about it, then go actively try to buy a recent video card. By that time, I will be able to find a 3070 on clearance for $119 since it will be so old. :P
Jaymon

Post by Jaymon »

I was shopping around to upgrade the kids computer. they have a a mix of stuff 5-7 years old. I need new motherboard, proc, ram, and video card.
HOLY CHEEZEBALLZ!

so anyways, I won't be upgrading the kids computer by buying new parts. I was all fine until I got to the video card bit.
but, Dell has somehow got geforce 20x and 30x in stock, at standard price point. so I am buying a new custom built machine, only slightly more expensive than upgrading via component purchase. other sites I checked did not have cards in stock, or were charging the inflated prices.
Bunnies like beer because its made from hops.
hitbyambulance

Post by hitbyambulance »

Carpet_pissr wrote: Tue Feb 16, 2021 4:51 pm My saving grace is that I am currently (though that will change come tomorrow with a new monitor) only gaming at 1080p, and like Stessier typically old games since my back log is absolutely heinous and embarrassing.
my monitor's max resolution is 1280x1024 (17" display, 4:3 aspect ration, VGA connection only - it's 15 years old). i still get medium-tier default graphic settings on both the aforementioned titles. i have a Dell P2715Q (27" Ultra HD 4K) monitor still sitting in the box.
Zarathud

Post by Zarathud »

The video card gouging is enough to make a Digital Storm or Origin custom built a reasonable option. I’m just trying to decide which is the better risk — the exact build I want from Origin or a lesser case with OEM brands from Digital Storm.
"If the facts don't fit the theory, change the facts." - Albert Einstein
"I don't stand by anything." - Trump
“Bad men need nothing more to compass their ends, than that good men should look on and do nothing.” - John Stuart Mill, Inaugural Address Delivered to the University of St Andrews, 2/1/1867
“It is the impractical things in this tumultuous hell-scape of a world that matter most. A book, a name, chicken soup. They help us remember that, even in our darkest hour, life is still to be savored.” - Poe, Altered Carbon
Carpet_pissr

Post by Carpet_pissr »

Oops, I’m not gaming at 1080p! What would you call 1900x1200? 1200p? That doesn’t seem right....
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

Carpet_pissr wrote: Tue Feb 16, 2021 9:01 pm Oops, I’m not gaming at 1080p! What would you call 1900x1200? 1200p? That doesn’t seem right....
You mean 1920x1200? That is WUXGA. That was what I was playing at with my old monitor and computer.
My father said that anything is interesting if you bother to read about it - Michael C. Harrold
Carpet_pissr

Post by Carpet_pissr »

Yep. Off by 20. :p
Octavious

Post by Octavious »

Just looked at EBAY. Jesus if my video card dies I'll be better off just getting a prebuilt. The market for just about anything right now is just insane. Over 1K for a 3070. :x
Capitalism tries for a delicate balance: It attempts to work things out so that everyone gets just enough stuff to keep them from getting violent and trying to take other people’s stuff.

Shameless plug for my website: www.nettphoto.com
JCC

Post by JCC »

Still rocking a 970 on my gaming PC which I built in 2015. I am still 1080p gaming only, though lately not gaming much at all.
Black Lives Matter

"You know, the very powerful and the very stupid have one thing in common: they don't alter their views to fit the facts; they alter the facts to fit their views." - The 4th Doctor
Carpet_pissr

Post by Carpet_pissr »

Octavious wrote: Wed Feb 17, 2021 2:01 pm Just looked at EBAY. Jesus if my video card dies I'll be better off just getting a prebuilt. The market for just about anything right now is just insane. Over 1K for a 3070. :x
Yep, I've been saying for a while now that the best thing to do if you want to upgrade your graphics card in the past 8-12 months (longer?) is to just buy a new PC from one of the "big builders" (Dell, HP, etc). They don't have the supply issues with graphics chips that we retail peons do, so you can get a whole new system for not a whole lot more than what you would pay for just a gfx card off the shelf. It's insane.

I look at Slickdeals.net pretty regularly, and they have had quite a few Dell and HP systems lately, one of which was within $150-$200 of the price of JUST the video card (that is IF you could actually find it in stock somewhere, which is not easy these days) Of course tons of questions on there about whether or not it was a good mining computer or not. So that's still a thing, apparently. :(

I REALLY hope that crypto-mining from home computers dies a fast, hard death....and soon. I know that Nvidia and AMD sell in bulk directly to "mining farms", which is not helping, either.
malchior

Post by malchior »

Carpet_pissr wrote: Wed Feb 17, 2021 3:38 pm
Octavious wrote: Wed Feb 17, 2021 2:01 pm Just looked at EBAY. Jesus if my video card dies I'll be better off just getting a prebuilt. The market for just about anything right now is just insane. Over 1K for a 3070. :x
Yep, I've been saying for a while now that the best thing to do if you want to upgrade your graphics card in the past 8-12 months (longer?) is to just buy a new PC from one of the "big builders" (Dell, HP, etc). They don't have the supply issues with graphics chips that we retail peons do, so you can get a whole new system for not a whole lot more than what you would pay for just a gfx card off the shelf. It's insane.
This was how I got a 3080. My bot to buy a 3080 routine didn't work so I just bought a whole new rig.
Hrdina

Post by Hrdina »

malchior wrote: Wed Feb 17, 2021 6:40 pm
This was how I got a 3080. My bot to buy a 3080 routine didn't work so I just bought a whole new rig.
Same here. I ordered a new PC in mid-December, and had it with its RTX 3080 in mid-January.
Conform or be cast out!
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Still using a 2 gig GTX 950. I only have that due to OO. I was using a 770 but it died and I think my 550 backup was broke too so dropped to a 270 or something like that a few years ago when someone on OO gave me the 950 when I was looking for a card.

Plan to tough it out until the house is paid for then build new...maybe 4 years or less.
--------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.
I guess Ray Butts has ate his last pancake.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/daehawk
"Has high IQ. Refuses to apply it"
Octavious

Post by Octavious »

Hrdina wrote: Thu Feb 18, 2021 1:42 am
malchior wrote: Wed Feb 17, 2021 6:40 pm
Same here. I ordered a new PC in mid-December, and had it with its RTX 3080 in mid-January.
I have a 1070TI so while a 3000 series would be sweet it's not urgent by any means. It explodes? New computer time. :lol:
Capitalism tries for a delicate balance: It attempts to work things out so that everyone gets just enough stuff to keep them from getting violent and trying to take other people’s stuff.

gilraen

Post by gilraen »

Digital Storm has had massive delays with filling orders, although some of it was just the sheer volume of work and not necessarily part shortages. But they have people who ordered in November that are only getting their PCs shipped now. They had 2 gaming laptop models on their website up until Thanksgiving or so - the higher-end model came with the 3000 series GPU. That model has disappeared off of their website entirely, and the other model is now showing as out of stock and ETA March.
Skinypupy

Post by Skinypupy »

Holy shit...I thought y'all were kidding as I don't pay any attention to this stuff until I need a new system.

Just looked up the card I have in my PC that was mid(ish)-range when I bought it three years ago. That same 1070Ti 8GB card is apparently now selling for $800-$1,000. I only paid $900 for the whole system in March 2018. :shock:

Was thinking the other day that it may be time to start looking at an upgrade. Guess not.
When darkness veils the world, four Warriors of Light shall come.
hitbyambulance

Post by hitbyambulance »

i just got a new CPU + RAM + mobo a year ago, so buying an entirely new computer just for the GPU is out of the question
jztemple2

Post by jztemple2 »

Interesting article from PCGamesN, Nvidia nerfs RTX 3060 against mining, says “GeForce is made for gaming”
The stock issues with AMD and Nvidia’s latest graphics cards have led to massively over-inflated prices on resale. Part of the high demand for the latest GPUs can be attributed to their great performance in crypto mining applications, although it’s leaving a shortage of consumer graphics cards being used for what they’re actually designed for – gaming.

The prices of Nvidia’s upcoming RTX 3060 have already been surging before launch, but the card might suddenly become much less attractive to the mining community, in light of fresh news from an Nvidia blog post titled “GeForce is made for gaming”. The software drivers for the 3060 will be programmed to deliberately reduce performance when crypto mining applications are detected, the post explains, reducing the mining hash rate by up to 50%.

Nvidia isn’t saying goodbye to miners, however – it plans to release a new lineup of dedicated mining cards called the Nvidia CMP (Cryptocurrency Mining Processor) range, which will have no display capabilities. It also goes on to say that these new mining cards “don’t impact the availability of GeForce GPUs to gamers”. Let’s hope so.

So, will this good news help if you’re looking to pick up an RTX 3060 next week? It might reduce demand somewhat, but the number of new GPUs wanted from gamers alone is off the charts too.

Plus, the RTX 3060 will not be completely unusable for mining applications – just 50% less efficient, so crypto miners might still try and pick one up.
My father said that anything is interesting if you bother to read about it - Michael C. Harrold
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Why wouldn't they just use older drivers?
Octavious

Post by Octavious »

Honestly anything remotely fun or useful has been gobbles up and put on ebay. I really hate the freaking greed that has exploded over.the last year. Sure there have always been flippers but it's so wildly out of control now. :(

Rumpy

Post by Rumpy »

About time they figured out a solution. It's gotten out of hand. Two years ago I needed a card, and the best I could manage was a 1050Ti, and even then the prices were high due to cryptomining creating scarcity.
PC:
Ryzen 5 3600
32GB RAM
2x1TB NVMe Drives
GTX 1660 Ti
Carpet_pissr

Post by Carpet_pissr »

Rumpy wrote: Fri Feb 19, 2021 1:51 am About time they figured out a solution. It's gotten out of hand. Two years ago I needed a card, and the best I could manage was a 1050Ti, and even then the prices were high due to cryptomining creating scarcity.
They had no incentive. And frankly, I am scratching my head at why they are even making this move, and what if anything changed to prompt this.

They are selling GPU's faster and more easily than they have in a long time, maybe ever.

I assume they see the writing on the wall, and that their windfall at being able to sell everything they can produce in bulk, with no warranty, and no packaging/retail mess, is likely going to end within the next 6 months. Even then, I don't guess a lot of gamers would NOT buy a Geforce because of the scarcity issues for the past year or so, so ???
Rumpy

Post by Rumpy »

Thing is, I don't think it's just Nvidia. It's probably the same with AMD.

As for incentives, well, I can think of plenty. Say you pump hoard loads of marketing into some new cards that your intended customers can't even get? I think the issue was only going to get worse, not better, as long as cryptocurrency is a thing. I think making a dedicated graphics-less card is a smart move, and it's likely going to be less expensive for those who need them too. It's a win/win.
PC:
Ryzen 5 3600
32GB RAM
2x1TB NVMe Drives
GTX 1660 Ti
Carpet_pissr

Post by Carpet_pissr »

Rumpy wrote: Fri Feb 19, 2021 12:39 pm Thing is, I don't think it's just Nvidia. It's probably the same with AMD.

As for incentives, well, I can think of plenty. Say you pump hoard loads of marketing into some new cards that your intended customers can't even get? I think the issue was only going to get worse, not better, as long as cryptocurrency is a thing. I think making a dedicated graphics-less card is a smart move, and it's likely going to be less expensive for those who need them too. It's a win/win.
I can promise you neither company cares much, if at all about "it's likely going to be less expensive for those who need them", and in fact the boards of both companies would very likely be horrified if the CEO had a meeting where he uttered that phrase.

And that's kind of my point. They are shifting likely because crypto-mining (as it is now) seems to be going away soon, which mucks with the chipmakers' current sweet, sweet business model. Maybe their thinking is along the lines of "sales will be shifting back to retail gamers in the next 6 months, so we better start acting like we care again, before AMD does"

If you are thinking about this in anything but a moneymaking frame of reference, you are doing it wrong.

And yes, I agree with you that AMD is in the same boat. A gravy boat. :D
Blackhawk

Post by Blackhawk »

If you make a widget for gamers, and someone else find they need it and are willing buy your stock as fast as you can make it, you let them. It's printing money. But if that someone else is a temporary boon, you make sure you don't alienate your original market. You'll need them back eventually. FWIW, I've heard buzz about dedicated mining cards for at least five years now. Nobody has bothered with them, though. It's telling that the card that they're nerfing for mining is the cheapest, slowest card of the current generation. The more expensive stuff will still be gobbled up.
(˙pǝsɹǝʌǝɹ uǝǝq sɐɥ ʎʇıʌɐɹƃ ʃɐuosɹǝd ʎW)
TheMix

Post by TheMix »

make sure you don't alienate your original market
This was my thought. Gamers are fickle. And have looooonnnnnngggggg memories. You don't want to piss off a significant amount of your "base" and have them decide to never buy another Nvidia product again.

Black Lives Matter

Isgrimnur - Facebook makes you hate your friends and family. LinkedIn makes you hate you co-workers. NextDoor makes you hate your neighbors.
Daehawk

Post by Daehawk »

Remember I said people would just use old drivers if Nvidia limited hash rates with them?...seems its in BIOS.

Nvidia: RTX 3060 vBIOS Prevents Removal of Hash Rate Limiter

Also theres this rumor...

Rumor going around is that Nvidia will end all current 3000 series cards (except new 3060) and replace them with variants that have the new anti crypto currency driver change.

So what the miners need the cards for wont hurt gaming performance without it?
Isgrimnur

Post by Isgrimnur »

TheMix wrote: Fri Feb 19, 2021 1:54 pm
make sure you don't alienate your original market
This was my thought. Gamers are fickle. And have looooonnnnnngggggg memories. You don't want to piss off a significant amount of your "base" and have them decide to never buy another Nvidia product again.
And yet people still preorder games.
It's almost as if people are the problem.
Rumpy

Post by Rumpy »

Carpet_pissr wrote: Fri Feb 19, 2021 12:57 pm

I can promise you neither company cares much, if at all about "it's likely going to be less expensive for those who need them", and in fact the boards of both companies would very likely be horrified if the CEO had a meeting where he uttered that phrase.
Well yeah, inevitably, it does circle back to it being about money, as would any business. But if your product never reaches your intended market, it's sometimes a good idea to try and offer a compromise. If they were to keep letting it happen, it could have adverse effects on the market. At the current rate, it's not sustainable.

People need their video cards and they need them at reasonable prices. At the same time, cryptomining won't disappear anytime soon, and will only get more popular as time goes on.
PC:
Ryzen 5 3600
32GB RAM
2x1TB NVMe Drives
GTX 1660 Ti
Carpet_pissr

Post by Carpet_pissr »

Rumpy wrote: Fri Feb 19, 2021 5:41 pm
Carpet_pissr wrote: Fri Feb 19, 2021 12:57 pm

Well yeah, inevitably, it does circle back to it being about money, as would any business. But if your product never reaches your intended market, it's sometimes a good idea to try and offer a compromise. If they were to keep letting it happen, it could have adverse effects on the market. At the current rate, it's not sustainable.

People need their video cards and they need them at reasonable prices. At the same time, cryptomining won't disappear anytime soon, and will only get more popular as time goes on.
I know little to nothing about crypto-mining, but I read something the other day that indicated that it would be changing in the next X months due to Y. Particularly for the Joe Blow's at home just running one rig as a side gig. Maybe it will only be profitable at scale, with the farms? No idea, but they seemed to know what they were talking about, and that it would definitely be changing in a big way.

Here's how I imagine a scene inside Nvidia HQ going, in a recent quarterly sales meeting:
VP Sales: OK guys, let's hear your reports - how are things out there?
Sales Dir 1: We sold 125% of our quota this past quarter, and I think we can raise prices by X given the fact that demand is so high, and some of our largest clients are asking to buy as much stock as we can sell them.
Sales Dir 2: Yep, same here
Sales Dir 3. Same.
VP Sales: OK, I will run that message up the ladder and see what comes back. Well done, boys! Enjoy that bonus for exceeding the quota! Keep doing what you're doing!

Notice there's no mention of WHO they are selling to? Because they don't care. They are thinking in, and catering to, UNITS SOLD. Of course someone at the company is hopefully thinking longer term strategy, but I think VERY few publicly traded companies, even big ones like Nvidia, think much beyond the next several quarters (if that), and almost always in terms of "are we going to make our numbers?" (meaning sales and earnings).